Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts agree to terms with Ryan Kelly

BlueShoe

Just now, BlueShoe said:

Dude just proved he is all about getting to work. He doesn't want to hassle over a few thousand dollars. He wants the playbook, and he wants in now.

Got to admire those traits.

well with the rookie scale, its pretty easy to agree on contracts

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

But yet many don't, especially not thus quick.

They usually haggle over a few thousand dollars.

good for the rook if thats the case. hope him and luck are working together already

23 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Yet many don't, especially not this quick.

They usually haggle over a few thousand dollars.

These days, it usually haggling over offset language in the contract. Teams put it in to try and get out of paying guys they released if they are signed by another team (the team wants the two contracts to "offset" one another. (very simply broken down, lol)

Just now, ColtJ82 said:

These days, it usually haggling over offset language in the contract. Teams put it in to try and get out of paying guys they released if they are signed by another team (the team wants the two contracts to "offset" one another. (very simply broken down, lol)

Like I said, it equates to haggling over a few thousand dollars. :)

25 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Like I said, it equates to haggling over a few thousand dollars. :)

Maybe, but with the Colts it seems like it's just about their timeframes. For whatever reason they take forever to sign their draft picks every year. Maybe this year is different. 

And the middle of the first round is typically where the haggling happens the most. This early signing is definitely different for the Colts. I'm glad to see it.

58 minutes ago, Derakynn said:

The Colts never seem to manage to sign their top picks until right before camp. That was really quick. 

Hopefully it's a good sign to get the rest in camp and get to work. I am pretty stoked to see what Kelly brings. He has a nasty streak and I hope it rubs off on the rest.

7 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

Just saw my Capitals lose a heart breaker in overtime. Good to see things are going pretty great with my other sports team :thmup: Yay

anyone got the term?

Unbelievable game.  Unfortunately, I think this is the end of the Capitals' season.  Matthew Murray has been unbeatable and Pittsburgh is playing much more disciplined hockey.  That desperate clearing attempt by Weber that resulted in the game winner was a brutal brain fart.  He had plenty of time to control the puck, look up and find a pass, but just swatted at the puck.  Pittsburgh plays much more aggressively than Washington; their penalty kill looks like it's even strength or even a power play at times.  And the speed they have is insane.

It sucks because I really want to see Ovechkin win a championship.  It's still possible, I guess.  Game 5 at home and Orpik comes back for game 6.  They could win 2 in a row and force game 7 in their own rink.  Not likely, but very possible.  For whatever reason, Washington always manages to play poorly in the playoffs.  Their top scorers shut down when it matters most....except for Oshie

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Hopefully it's a good sign to get the rest in camp and get to work. I am pretty stoked to see what Kelly brings. He has a nasty streak and I hope it rubs off on the rest.

He and Mewhort should pack quite a punch.

1 hour ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

He and Mewhort should pack quite a punch.

I would think after Kelly gets used to the speed and the games slows down for him he should be a horse. Mewhort  should be settled in with one position and continue to progress better with time. I am curious as to what the new guards drafted will do. All of a sudden there is some competition across the O-line.

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

One, it's usually not the player but the agent.  Two, why shouldn't they haggle over a few thousand dollars?

One, the player can tell the agent to get it done quickly. Many players have done that in the past.

Two, he could actually make more money by not haggling over a few thousand dollars now. Getting focused on playing the game, and not worrying about the money can easily create an opportunity to improve faster and make more money on the next contract. The faster he improves; the more money he is worth. So why haggle over a few thousand dollars now, and lose sight of the millions coming? It is time to work on his craft.

My opinion, I would not haggle over my first contract. I have always bet on myself, and that is what Kelly did. He just wanted it done so he could get to work. Kudos to him.

14 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Unbelievable game.  Unfortunately, I think this is the end of the Capitals' season.  Matthew Murray has been unbeatable and Pittsburgh is playing much more disciplined hockey.  That desperate clearing attempt by Weber that resulted in the game winner was a brutal brain fart.  He had plenty of time to control the puck, look up and find a pass, but just swatted at the puck.  Pittsburgh plays much more aggressively than Washington; their penalty kill looks like it's even strength or even a power play at times.  And the speed they have is insane.

It sucks because I really want to see Ovechkin win a championship.  It's still possible, I guess.  Game 5 at home and Orpik comes back for game 6.  They could win 2 in a row and force game 7 in their own rink.  Not likely, but very possible.  For whatever reason, Washington always manages to play poorly in the playoffs.  Their top scorers shut down when it matters most....except for Oshie

I refuse to stop believing in the caps. But it sure does look  like it's all over, eh? Gotta take it one game at a time though. For once I'd love to be on the right side of the 3-1 series choke lol. We should in all likelihood win game 5. Penguins have been getting all the puck luck (seriously. First two goals in game 3, and first goal in game 4. Come on)

Just take it one game at a time. Win game 5 and we're right back in it

3 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

I refuse to stop believing in the caps. But it sure does look  like it's all over, eh? Gotta take it one game at a time though. For once I'd love to be on the right side of the 3-1 series choke lol. We should in all likelihood win game 5. Penguins have been getting all the puck luck (seriously. First two goals in game 3, and first goal in game 4. Come on)

I can't believe Letang got suspended this round and not for his slash on Stalberg that knocked out 3 teeth. My brother went to game 2 down in DC what a close series it's been.

I hate the penguins and as a huge Rangers fan I would not mind seeing the Caps come back so I am rooting for you. Although, I wasn't happy I went to the 7-3 game on 12/20. You guys did provide one of the greatest memories I'll ever have. Had like 7 friends over watching and my fiance was trying to sleep, finally we got her to join us and put her Henrik jersey on and then it happened...

15 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I can't believe Letang got suspended this round and not for his slash on Stalberg that knocked out 3 teeth. My brother went to game 2 down in DC what a close series it's been.

I hate the penguins and as a huge Rangers fan I would not mind seeing the Caps come back so I am rooting for you. Although, I wasn't happy I went to the 7-3 game on 12/20. You guys did provide one of the greatest memories I'll ever have. Had like 7 friends over watching and my fiance was trying to sleep, finally we got her to join us and put her Henrik jersey on and then it happened...

God that loss will haunt me forever. I just want to make it past the second round man! It's been too long! Give us some of your 3-1 series comeback juice

9 minutes ago, NorthernBlue said:

God that loss will haunt me forever. I just want to make it past the second round man! It's been too long! Give us some of your 3-1 series comeback juice

I feel your pain. I get to be a fan of the team that couldn't put a good team around Peyton, Luck, and Henrik. Hoping we can change it with Luck so we don't waste three hall of fame careers. I just transferred our comeback mojo to you! Good luck! 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

One, the player can tell the agent to get it done quickly. Many players have done that in the past.

Two, he could actually make more money by not haggling over a few thousand dollars now. Getting focused on playing the game, and not worrying about the money can easily create an opportunity to improve faster and make more money on the next contract. The faster he improves; the more money he is worth. So why haggle over a few thousand dollars now, and lose sight of the millions coming? It is time to work on his craft.

My opinion, I would not haggle over my first contract. I have always bet on myself, and that is what Kelly did. He just wanted it done so he could get to work. Kudos to him.

1.  Some players have but it's still the agent.

2.  This is a load of baloney, I'm sure everyone is glad he got the contract done but it shows a real lack of understanding to indicate that he will now be able to achieve a higher level because he signed now rather than a couple of days from now.

3.  I bet car dealerships love seeing you come. Everything is worth negotiating.  And if you feel you are worth X dollars and they offer you less than that... even if it's $1, let alone thousands of dollars then you negotiate it.  Taking less than you are worth is not betting on yourself, it's devaluing yourself. Additionally, you have no idea if that is what Kelly did, perhaps they have already haggled over your supposed few thousand dollars and got it worked out.

36 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

1.  Some players have but it's still the agent.

2.  This is a load of baloney, I'm sure everyone is glad he got the contract done but it shows a real lack of understanding to indicate that he will now be able to achieve a higher level because he signed now rather than a couple of days from now.

3.  I bet car dealerships love seeing you come. Everything is worth negotiating.  And if you feel you are worth X dollars and they offer you less than that... even if it's $1, let alone thousands of dollars then you negotiate it.  Taking less than you are worth is not betting on yourself, it's devaluing yourself. Additionally, you have no idea if that is what Kelly did, perhaps they have already haggled over your supposed few thousand dollars and got it worked out.

Wow dude. You are better than that. 

I am not playing the insult game. You are reaching with everything you have said. 

This is me walking away. If you are looking to fight with someone then find someone else. 

12 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Although this doesn't necessarily equate to on-field performance, I don't think him coming to a contract agreement so soon is a bad thing.

Why would you think it was a bad thing? There is a rookie salary cap so the money is pretty cut and dried. The only thing to haggle is the signing bonus and the structure of any performance clauses. Having him go to work as soon as possible is better IMO. More time and reps is not a bad thing.

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Why would you think it was a bad thing? There is a rookie salary cap so the money is pretty cut and dried. The only thing to haggle is the signing bonus and the structure of any performance clauses. Having him go to work as soon as possible is better IMO. More time and reps is not a bad thing.

I agree. The faster they get in; the better. 

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

Wow dude. You are better than that. 

I am not playing the insult game. You are reaching with everything you have said. 

This is me walking away. If you are looking to fight with someone then find someone else. 

You are funny.  Nothing in that was insulting but I will keep in mind next time that you are so easily offended so I will make sure I tone it down for you.

3 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

You see the lucky bounces they get with the puck and you'd think that couldn't last an entire series, but it's lasted enough for them to get 3 wins.  There is hope in that the Caps were leading the Rangers 3-1 last year and lost 4-3, so there is recent history dictating it's very possible.  Once again, if they can win game 5 at home, then they get a rested Orpik back for game 6.  Orpik can't necessarily help you beat the brick wall known as Matthew Murray, but he can handle things on the defensive end and hopefully block a few of those bouncing pucks going to the net.  If that happens, you get game 7 at home.  So it's very possible and I really hope they make the comeback, but it doesn't look promising