Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL's Chad Reuter gives Colts A for Draft

Defjamz26

He breaks it down into Days 1-3 and talks about each pick. He gives the Colts an A for each day and an overall grade of an A. I thought this was interesting considering people usually accuse the media of bashing the Colts pick, yet a good amount of people here don't like a couple of the picks.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000657476/article/2016-nfl-draft-quicksnap-grades-for-afc-teams

I don't think people realized that the Colts got players way better than when they were drafted at. Almost every guy could've went a lot higher.

It is all an opinion, so why get so bent out of shape about it?

We shall see in a couple of years if we get 3 starters. If you can get 3 top quality starters in a draft, that is an A. 2 starters - I give it a B and 1 starter - I give it a C. I think that is very reasonable, IMO. But then, mine is an opinion too :)

10 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

well Kiper every year hates our picks (not really every single year but he is a Colts basher due to his Baltimore upbringing or ties), this year he gave us a B and threw us a bone.  I really do not like that guy.

Personally, I do not pay much attention to the ESPN draft guys as I do not think they are very good.  Mayock's style is just much better as he is really hesitant to judge a pick and looks more for an explanation of why the pick was made.  That is more educational than some guy agreeing or disagreeing with the pick in my opinion.

Also, Kiper could be upset with being embarrassed on national TV by Tobin all those years ago.  I saw that live and it was great.

1 minute ago, Dilger85 said:

Personally, I do not pay much attention to the ESPN draft guys as I do not think they are very good.  Mayock's style is just much better as he is really hesitant to judge a pick and looks more for an explanation of why the pick was made.  That is more educational than some guy agreeing or disagreeing with the pick in my opinion.

Also, Kiper could be upset with being embarrassed on national TV by Tobin all those years ago.  I saw that live and it was great.

Explain to me please?

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

Explain to me please?

It was the Trev Alberts draft, sorry can't remember the year.  But essentially Trent Dilfer was still on the board and the Colts picked Trev Alberts.  They (Colts) needed a quarterback.

Kiper went off stating that it was a terrible pick and that is why the Colts were the Colts and never win, etc.  Tobin then gets interviewed by Mort and Tobin comes out guns blazing with who is this Mel Kiper, what team does he work for, etc.  Basically insinuating that Kiper didn't know what he was talking about.  It was funny.

According to a 30 for 30 of that draft, Dilfer through his agent had told the Colts that he would not sign with them so they couldn't pick him.  Which means that Kiper really did not know what he was talking about.

32 minutes ago, Dilger85 said:

It was the Trev Alberts draft, sorry can't remember the year.  But essentially Trent Dilfer was still on the board and the Colts picked Trev Alberts.  They (Colts) needed a quarterback.

Kiper went off stating that it was a terrible pick and that is why the Colts were the Colts and never win, etc.  Tobin then gets interviewed by Mort and Tobin comes out guns blazing with who is this Mel Kiper, what team does he work for, etc.  Basically insinuating that Kiper didn't know what he was talking about.  It was funny.

According to a 30 for 30 of that draft, Dilfer through his agent had told the Colts that he would not sign with them so they couldn't pick him.  Which means that Kiper really did not know what he was talking about.

That was great.  How do the Colts keep producing these media gems?

"Who the he** is Mel Kiper anyway?" - Bill Tobin

"PLAYOFFS??!?? Don't talk abo- PLAYOFFS? Are you kiddin me?" - Jim Mora

"We couldn't do DIDDLY-POO offensively" - Jim Mora

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

It's because we took olineman which every media personal told us to do

But people are also saying good things about the Green, Ridgeway,  and Morrison picks and it's surprising because we usually get slammed when we don't take the sexy pick. You would have thought people would have bashed us for passing on Bell, Billings, and a lot of the pass rushers.

I think some fans here should take solace in knowing that some of the picks they're hesitant about are being praised as good picks. I knew guys like Kiper would love the Kelly pick but no one is slamming us for the Green pick.

I don't know why they wouldn't.  Sure, some of the picks may not work out but in terms of addressing the most pressing need on this team they addressed it and did so in a MAJOR way.  If they are correct with the picks then OL should no longer be a major weakness on this team.  Anybody remember the last time we could say that?  Maybe 2005?

3 hours ago, chad72 said:

It is all an opinion, so why get so bent out of shape about it?

We shall see in a couple of years if we get 3 starters. If you can get 3 top quality starters in a draft, that is an A. 2 starters - I give it a B and 1 starter - I give it a C. I think that is very reasonable, IMO. But then, mine is an opinion too :)

So true.  But it was funnier when people were arguing about Mock Drafts!  As if they had any bearing on reality.

Your criteria makes sense.  Some of these guys may not even make the team, so I'd consider it a successful draft this year if we have say five picks contribute.

We know nothing right now to score anything, even about if the Oline is shored up.  In 2008 Polian basically drafted 3 O linemen to fill the hole when we lost Scott.  None of them really worked out.  Between that and Ugoh from the year before, the O line never returned to its past glory.

26 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I don't know why they wouldn't.  Sure, some of the picks may not work out but in terms of addressing the most pressing need on this team they addressed it and did so in a MAJOR way.  If they are correct with the picks then OL should no longer be a major weakness on this team.  Anybody remember the last time we could say that?  Maybe 2005?

2006.  Then Glenn retired, we lost Scott, and I think Lilja was injured.  See my previous post.

4 hours ago, bababooey said:

Explain to me please?

WHAAAT!!?

Never heard anyone say "Who the he** is Mel Kiper, anyway?!" I thought everyone, or at least anyone whos been here through at least 1 offseason has heard that. It gets mentioned with some regularity since people are quoting Mel Kiper quite a bit around this time of year.

4 hours ago, CR91 said:

It's because we took olineman which every media personal told us to do

Do you really think Grigson gives a crap about who the media wanted him to pick? And you wonder why some have a problem with some of your comments.

24 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Tarik Glenn retiring was the beginning of the end, imo.  Taling about the Oline.

I remember people complaining about his false starts.  Jeez, a guy like that is allowed false starts once in a while.

4 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Yeah, be careful what you ask Jim Mora because he's gonna tell ya bluntly what he thinks whether you wanna hear it or not. LOL! The man has no politically correct PG filter at all. I like people like that because you know exactly where they stand with you. 

It's nice to be praised for our draft picks collectively for once. I'm so used to being slammed by the critics for our selections that I never know how to handle glowing remarks about INDY's organizational future. 

It's like when my sister Ellen complements me. Secretly, I always say to myself who in this person & what the hades did you do with my sister? haha

Yeah I know that sounds harsh, but you have to know my family to really appreciate that joke. It sounds twisted, but it is what it is & yes, if Ellen needed a kidney I'd show up. Enough said. 

4 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

It's nice to be praised for our draft picks collectively for once. I'm so used to being slammed by the critics for our selections that I never know how to handle glowing remarks about INDY's organizational future. 

It's like when my sister Ellen complements me. Secretly, I always say to myself who in this person & what the hades did you do with my sister? haha

Yeah I know that sounds harsh, but you have to know my family to really appreciate that joke. It sounds twisted, but it is what it is & yes, if Ellen needed a kidney I'd show up. Enough said. 

Sister Ellen has never ever complimented you!  Lol!  All joking aside yes it's great that we got good grades on our draft but let's put those grades to good use and get that SB victory!  

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

WHAAAT!!?

Never heard anyone say "Who the he** is Mel Kiper, anyway?!" I thought everyone, or at least anyone whos been here through at least 1 offseason has heard that. It gets mentioned with some regularity since people are quoting Mel Kiper quite a bit around this time of year.

Yea I was 6 haha didn't watch football regularly until the late 90s, basically when Peyton was drafted. Just missed this one, maybe I read it in my 100 Facts every colts fan needs to know before they die book. I did buy the history of the colts dvd and I don't think it's on it either.

3 minutes ago, 100GFB said:

Sister Ellen has never ever complimented you!  Lol!  All joking aside yes it's great that we got good grades on our draft but let's put those grades to good use and get that SB victory!  

It's just so rare that it's odd whenever she does it. Like that Sesame Street kids game where you're supposed to determine what picture doesn't belong or match the others. It's the scarcity of it or remoteness of it that always strikes me as ironically funny. 

Yeah all that matters is Championship production. Well said 100GFB. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Do you really think Grigson gives a crap about who the media wanted him to pick? And you wonder why some have a problem with some of your comments.

you do realize you completely misunderstood my comment right. I was saying the media likes their own idea. nothing of what I said mentioned grigs. if youre gonna come at me, get your facts straight

4 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

But people are also saying good things about the Green, Ridgeway,  and Morrison picks and it's surprising because we usually get slammed when we don't take the sexy pick. You would have thought people would have bashed us for passing on Bell, Billings, and a lot of the pass rushers.

I think some fans here should take solace in knowing that some of the picks they're hesitant about are being praised as good picks. I knew guys like Kiper would love the Kelly pick but no one is slamming us for the Green pick.

I think because of where we drafted these players is more of why their being praised. green was shooting up the board with some mocking him to denver at 31 and we end up getting him at the end of the second. clark was mocked a few times in the first and we got him in the mid-round of the third. ridgeway showed first round talent in 2014 before his play became inconsistent. 

9 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I think because of where we drafted these players is more of why their being praised. green was shooting up the board with some mocking him to denver at 31 and we end up getting him at the end of the second. clark was mocked a few times in the first and we got him in the mid-round of the third. ridgeway showed first round talent in 2014 before his play became inconsistent. 

That's a valid point. No analyst reviewing our 2016 selections said we grabbed a player at the wrong spot & even if you believe Ryan Kelly as a center wasn't worth spending a pick at #18 on, nobody is doubting his athletic ability & football IQ either. So, even if the selection for Kelly was deemed unusual or unorthodox as a common strategy practice, it made sense in INDY's big picture outlook 3 yrs. from now. 

I wasn't confused by any pick our GM made & that felt good. So yes, I agree with your overall thesis CR91. 

47 minutes ago, CR91 said:

you do realize you completely misunderstood my comment right. I was saying the media likes their own idea. nothing of what I said mentioned grigs. if youre gonna come at me, get your facts straight

You need to be more specific in what you mean. How is anyone going to understand your meaning when you are not clear?

1 hour ago, bababooey said:

Yea I was 6 haha didn't watch football regularly until the late 90s, basically when Peyton was drafted. Just missed this one, maybe I read it in my 100 Facts every colts fan needs to know before they die book. I did buy the history of the colts dvd and I don't think it's on it either.

If not in either, those are complete wastes of money! I kid, I kid. Truly a funny soundbite, given all the context. It's on par with some of the best all time coach rants.

I have a good feeling about this draft... I think a lot of the benefits will be seen in 2017. 

That being said, I think Morrison will be starting at ILB by the end of the season... Once he gets his feet under him, he will likely be our best coverage guy inside. 

Haeg isn't getting the love he deserves from a lot of pundits... He is very athletic and technically sound. I think he will fit a ZBS better than Good and could start at RT fairly early if the staff doesn't want to start Joe Reitz there. 

Kelly will lock down the C position from day one... Ridgeway will be useful from day one, as well.

I think Green will be a beast on ST as a gunner and/or returner... If we get lucky, he and Clark will both be starters next season...

Im a homer, but I like the draft... Next draft, its pass rush and RB in a good year for it. 

8 hours ago, bababooey said:

Explain to me please?

8 hours ago, Dilger85 said:

20 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

The diddly poo rant was when Mora was with the saints 

I like a lot of our picks with the exception of: Green and Morrison. After watching some Clemson games and Green's "highlight" video I really dislike this pick. Especially in the 2nd round. I think we could have done better. I hope Pagano can pull some magic and turn this guy into something.

18 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

06 season? The pass was unstoppable in the regular season and the running game won us a SB in the post season

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

And this is what I've been trying to tell people. Yes, there are some people in the media who are just happy the Colts took a couple of offensive lineman because it fits the narrative that the Colts needed to draft for need and did.

But smarter analysts like Reuter realize that's drafts are about value and the Colts got incredible value with each pick. You go for value each round, not need. The Colts held true to their BPA ideal and were able to get good value and fill needs. That's how you draft.

22 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Ehh we arn't the only team.  

You could take just about any team that has had Ditka for example.  

Then there was the guy coaching the Cardinals who shouted about "They are who we thought they where" and something about "if you want to crown 'em then crown em"

There are plenty of examples out there of quotes from ticked off GMs and coaches 

USA today ranked the draft classes 1-32. Colts came in 19. I'd say that's about right. Personally I give this draft a C.

Kelly should be the anchor we've all been wanting since Jeff Saturday departed.

LeRaven Clark looks like he has the tools to one day become a real good tackle in this league. He needs some time to develop tho but I like the pick.

Same with Haeg. He looks the part and should eventually figure into the mix in the starting OL.

Austin Blythe, he's an overachiever that just works hard and I'll predict right now he makes the final cut, maybe a practice squad player to start but he'll give you all he has, great kid.

Hassan Ridgeway. I think this was a good value pick. A guy who can play all over the defensive front and has pass rush potential.

Now, the picks I don't much care for. Green, I won't go into detail now because Ive already done that in other threads but suffice it to say I don't like the pick and even worse it was made in round 2 when we could have had our choice of more polished S's, CB's and Edge Rusher(s) with potential.

Morrison, Don't like this pick either. From what I read about him he seems to be a guy who can't cover and is a run stopper with average instincts and below average speed.

Trevor Bates: Dont know anything about him but as 7th round picks go he's worth taking a flier on and seeing if he pans out at a position of need. I did watch his highlight video and I have to say he looks like a guy who has good instincts, good speed, a nose for the ball and looks like he has a good motor. Maybe he's a poor mans Robert Mathis?