Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts waive TE Cameron Clear, LS Forrest Hill, C/G Khaled Holmes and T Mitchell Van Dyk (merged)

stitches

12 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I must be getting too old for the internet.  I also recently was telling my 22 YO intern a story about something and I ended up having to give an explanation of what AIM because she didn't have a clue what I was talking about.  

The struggle is real...That goes for myself too, I just got lucky on that one

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Anybody else confused as to why we need a backup punter???????

Most times extra kickers are brought in during camp to alleviate some of the work on the vets (i.e. Pat and Vinny).  Those guys already know what they're doing and will be getting plenty of reps anyway, we do not need them out there wearing themselves out kicking to the guys about to get cut.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I called the Holmes release. Harrison is next. We'll roll with Kelly and Blythe at center. Expect Zach Kerr next if he even makes it past training camp.

Kerr is not getting released!!! lol 

But yeah, Harrison should be soon. 

8 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Anybody else confused as to why we need a backup punter???????

Every other year or so, we bring in a kicker or punter. If I was a kicker or punter then I would ask to come here. We have been a great starting place for kickers, and have a long successful history with punters too.

They're not going to make our team, but they will get to learn from the greats, and the exposure we offer has propelled a few careers.

3 minutes ago, Traines said:

Most times extra kickers are brought in during camp to alleviate some of the work on the vets (i.e. Pat and Vinny).  Those guys already know what they're doing and will be getting plenty of reps anyway, we do not need them out there wearing themselves out kicking to the guys about to get cut.

It's also a way of keeping those players unofficially on reserve in the event something ever happened to your starting punter.  

2 hours ago, Flash said:

It's been a tough off-season for Luck. He got along really well with Fleener and Whalen, who are no longer with the Colts. And aside from his Stanford teammates, he got along well with Holmes. I'm sure he has other friends on the team, but this has to be a little heart breaking for him. He'll be fine however.

Although he will now have better protection, he is learning the business side of the NFL.

His dad ran an entire league in Europe, he knows the business side of pro sports sometimes gets in the way of friendships....

2 hours ago, Flash said:

It's been a tough off-season for Luck. He got along really well with Fleener and Whalen, who are no longer with the Colts. And aside from his Stanford teammates, he got along well with Holmes. I'm sure he has other friends on the team, but this has to be a little heart breaking for him. He'll be fine however.

Although he will now have better protection, he is learning the business side of the NFL.

His dad ran an entire league in Europe for a short time, and was GM of 2 different European teams...  he knows the business side of pro sports sometimes gets in the way of friendships....

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Props to you -- you called it.      I didn't agree, but you're clearly right.

My guess is they felt Holmes wouldn't win the spot in camp so they cut him now to give him a shot at hooking up with a new team as soon as possible.

Sorry to see him go out with a whimper and not a bang.    A shame it didn't work out.    There's another draft pick that goes down as a miss for Grigson.   

Hopefully we hit on our 4 OL picks from this weekend.   

It's about time the Colts have a very good OL.

Congrats!       :thmup:

They cut him because he sucked.  Plain and simple   The lazy guys that cant get into games are going to be shown the door....  Kerr better be watching his back, he is another lazy one

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

It was obvious to see last year that the staff liked Harrison better than Holmes so this is not a surprise.

Why do more people not see this?    He had a couple of bad snaps and everyone thinks that is all he does.   He's not starting material but he was better than Holmes.   He could be a good backup under the new Oline coach and working with Kelly

3 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

They cut him because he sucked.  Plain and simple   The lazy guys that cant get into games are going to be shown the door....  Kerr better be watching his back, he is another lazy one

To say he didn't live up to expectations is one thing.    To call someone you don't know on any level lazy is ridiculous 

3 hours ago, CR91 said:

How in the world does Holmes get waived before Harrison. I'm convinced Harrison has blackmail

I think what it is is that Holmes didn't show the kind of heart that other guys have shown. Took too long coming back from relatively minor injuries, had too many injuries, etc. He's like the opposite of Antonio Morrison -- the linebacker that ran the 40 despite being nowhere near 100%. The staff soured on Holmes after he got hurt in the 2014 preseason, and unfortunately he never won them back. I still think he's better than Harrison, but I don't have a hard time understanding why he's gone.

I think Harrison is awful, period, so I'm not excited that he's still on the roster, but from a football toughness standpoint, which Grigson and Pagano keep preaching lately, it's not a difficult call.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

To say he didn't live up to expectations is one thing.    To call someone you don't know on any level lazy is ridiculous 

Grigson said it too  That is why he is not here, its why Chapman isnt here, along with others.

Glad he is gone  

Besides Harrisons bad snaps every so often I have seen him bull rushed into Luck on many occasions. Hard to believe for such a big powerful guy.  I thought he did much better at RG though.  That said I can't see him making the team after all of our OL additions.  

3 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Roster Update:

*Including tryout players

NAME PS SCHOOL
Vontae Davis CB Illinois
Patrick Robinson CB Florida State
Darius Butler CB Connecticut
D'Joun Smith CB Florida Atlantic
Jalil Brown CB Colorado
Tevin Mitchel CB Arkansas
Chris Milton CB Georgia Tech
Daniel Davie CB Nebraska
Leviticus Payne CB Cincinnati
Tay Glover-Wright CB Utah State
Mike Adams S Delaware
T.J. Green S Clemson
Dezmen Southward S Wisconsin
Clayton Geathers S Central Florida
Winston Guy S Kentucky
Andrew Williamson S Vanderbilt
Stefan McClure S Cal
Tigi Hill S Mesa Community College
Akeem Davis S Memphis
Kendall Langford DE Hampton
Delvon Simmons DE USC
Earl Okine DE Florida
Henry Anderson DT Stanford
Hassan Ridgeway DT Texas
Arthur Jones DT Syracuse
T.Y. McGill DT North Carolina State
Julian Campenni DT Connecticut
Kelcy Quarles DT South Carolina
Ricky Lumpkin DT Kentucky
David Parry NT Stanford
Zach Kerr NT Delaware
D'Qwell Jackson ILB Maryland
Sio Moore ILB Connecticut
Nate Irving ILB North Carolina State
Antonio Morrison ILB Florida
Amarlo Herrera ILB Georgia
Anthony Sarao ILB USC
Edwin Jackson ILB Georgia Southern
Josh McNary ILB Army
Junior Sylvestre ILB Toledo
Robert Mathis OLB Alabama A&M
Erik Walden OLB Middle Tennessee State
Trent Cole OLB Cincinnati
Trevor Bates OLB Maine
Ron Thompson OLB Syracuse
Sterling Bailey OLB Georgia
Curt Maggitt OLB Tennessee
Drew Ott OLB Iowa
Eze Obiora OLB Southern Illinois
Ryan Kelly C Alabama
Austin Blythe C Iowa
Jonotthan Harrison C Florida
Jack Mewhort G Ohio State
Joe Reitz G Western Michigan
Hugh Thornton G Illinois
Isiah Cage G Wisconsin-EauClaire
Jamelle Naff G TCU
Kitt O'Brien G Ball State
Anthony Castonzo OT Boston College
Le'Raven Clark OT Texas Tech
Denzelle Good OT Mars Hill
Joe Haeg OT North Dakota St.
Davante Harris OT Appalachian State
Adam Redmon OT Harvard
Kevin Graf OT USC
Andrew Luck QB Stanford
Scott Tolzien QB Wisconsin
Stephen Morris QB Miami FL
Blake Frohnapfel QB Massachusetts
Ammon Olsen QB Southern Utah
Frank Gore RB Miami (FL)
Robert Turbin RB Utah State
Jordan Todman RB Connecticut
Tyler Varga RB Yale
Josh Ferguson RB Illinois
Trey Williams RB Texas A&M
Adam Vinatieri K South Dakota State
Matt Overton LS Western Washington
Harrison Elliot LS Air Force
Pat McAfee P West Virginia
Devon Bell P Mississippi State
Dwayne Allen TE Clemson
Jack Doyle TE Western Kentucky
Erik Swoope TE Miami (FL)
Darion Griswold TE Arkansas State
Mike McFarland TE South Florida
T.Y. Hilton WR Florida International
Donte Moncrief WR Mississippi
Phillip Dorsett WR Miami
Josh Boyce WR TCU
Quan Bray WR Auburn
Tevaun Smith WR Iowa
Mekale McKay WR Cincinnati
Danny Anthrop WR Purdue
Chester Rogers WR Grambling State
Brian Tyms WR Florida A&M
Josh Stangby WR Ottawa (KS)

When did we pick up Drew Ott? That is actually in my opinion a GREAT addition to this DE/OLB position for us!

22 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Besides Harrisons bad snaps every so often I have seen him bull rushed into Luck on many occasions. Hard to believe for such a big powerful guy.  I thought he did much better at RG though.  That said I can't see him making the team after all of our OL additions.  

I knew a guy in high school who was very short, kind of thin, but for some reason he could hit really hard.  Never made sense.   Just like Harrison's lack of ability to do so.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I think what it is is that Holmes didn't show the kind of heart that other guys have shown. Took too long coming back from relatively minor injuries, had too many injuries, etc. He's like the opposite of Antonio Morrison -- the linebacker that ran the 40 despite being nowhere near 100%. The staff soured on Holmes after he got hurt in the 2014 preseason, and unfortunately he never won them back. I still think he's better than Harrison, but I don't have a hard time understanding why he's gone.

I think Harrison is awful, period, so I'm not excited that he's still on the roster, but from a football toughness standpoint, which Grigson and Pagano keep preaching lately, it's not a difficult call.

looking at it that way makes sense. Holmes was never good at the point of attack, however I think he would have benefited from the ZBS.

He was going into the 4th year of his deal anyway having only played in 17 games and starting 9. I don't agree with the move to do it right now however despite that he played bad when on the field. I would have given him TC and the pre season but had Kelly been named the starter Holmes days were numbered anyway whether that last day be after one of this years preseason games or after this season(But I think was pretty well decided  when Kelly was drafted that Holmes was gone)....I think the final nail in the coffin for Holmes was the draft of Kelly but I would have given him the chance to be the backup.

Regardless of the name on the back of the jersey I want the Center position solved and hope it gets locked down. Hopefully Kelly is that guy

27 minutes ago, CR91 said:

looking at it that way makes sense. Holmes was never good at the point of attack, however I think he would have benefited from the ZBS.

Me too. I think he's a good fit for the new scheme, but the fact that they're moving on so quickly makes it obvious that it's not just about his play during the games. The way the 2014 season went kind of proved that he wasn't that high on their list, and then benching him again in 2015 just reinforced it. I thought he'd stick around through camp, but they've had their fill of Khaled Holmes. 

Hail fellow, well met.

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

When they drafted Holmes, he came with an injury history. Sometimes, it is wishful thinking hoping an injured guy makes a turnaround and starts contributing. It is hard enough getting a healthy guy up to pace, even more so with a guy with a history of injury.

Remember when Grigson drafted him in the 4th round out of USC and called Holmes the "center of the future".  

I'm surprised we didn't let Holmes, Harrison, and Blythe battle it out for the backup Center spot. Now we're probably looking at Castanzo-Mewhort-Kelly-Thornton-Good. With Reitz, Clark, Haeg, and Blythe as the backups. Hopefully Thornton pulls a Jeff Allen and has a monster breakout year. He's got the talent to be an all pro, but we'll have to see. If he does then our line is just boss. But if he continues to struggle as usual then one of Clark or Haeg will be our RG most likely. Hopefully we hit big with those 2,

5 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I called the Holmes release. Harrison is next. We'll roll with Kelly and Blythe at center. Expect Zach Kerr next if he even makes it past training camp.

Better start calling you Babe Ruth after calling that one!!!!

8 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Well I sort of called it.  I said we would be cutting a center today.  Close enough.  I really thought it was going to be Harrison an UDFA.  Harrison looked better at Guard but I think it's just a matter of time for him. 

Harrison is better than Holmes and shows more heart plus he can play G. Harrison has the talent he needs help upstairs. I think the new staff might get something out of him. Holmes just wasn't strong enough physically or mentally He's only made it through one camp healthy. He takes forever to heal. They made the right call 

28 minutes ago, akcolt said:

Harrison is better than Holmes and shows more heart plus he can play G. Harrison has the talent he needs help upstairs. I think the new staff might get something out of him. Holmes just wasn't strong enough physically or mentally He's only made it through one camp healthy. He takes forever to heal. They made the right call 

Wat-Meme-Tumblr-04.jpg