Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clay Matthews was almost a Colt

RockThatBlue

2 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Thank god Trent Richardson wasn't in that draft, otherwise... Oh, wait.

I'm missing something. I fail to see how this connects to TRich... Brown is and was a better runner than TRich......

6 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

According to Irsay...

@Zkeefer

Via Irsay: #Colts had Clay Matthews on the card in R1 of 09 draft. Green Bay traded up to Matthews at last moment. Colts took Donald Brown.

Crazy, huh?

He had never let that publicly slip out before. To my knowledge, that was the first we (the public) ever knew of it. I don't believe Polian has ever let it slip (publicly) either. 

As soon as Irsay said it, I started thinking about what might have been.

Think about it; if we had drafted Clay Matthews, then we do not draft Donald Brown (2009) or Jerry Hughes (2010). Instead of Hughes, we might have actually drafted T.J. Ward, Zane Beatles, Rob Gronkowski, Sean Lee, or so on. 

If we had drafted Zane Beadles then maybe Peyton never gets hurt. 

For the record, I wanted us to draft James Laurinaitis at #27 in 2009, and Daryl Washington at #31 in 2010. I expected Clay Matthews to be gone. 

That one pick changed the Colts destiny.

6 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Crazy, huh?

He had never let that publicly slip out before. To my knowledge, that was the first we (the public) ever knew of it. I don't believe Polian has ever let it slip (publicly) either. 

As soon as Irsay said it, I started thinking about what might have been.

Think about it; if we had drafted Clay Matthews, then we do not draft Donald Brown (2009) or Jerry Hughes (2010). Instead of Hughes, we might have actually drafted T.J. Ward, Zane Beatles, Rob Gronkowski, Sean Lee, or so on. 

If we had drafted Zane Beadles then maybe Peyton never gets hurt. 

For the record, I wanted us to draft James Laurinaitis at #27 in 2009, and Daryl Washington at #31 in 2010. I expected Clay Matthews to be gone. 

That one pick changed the Colts destiny.

I've often heard Peyton's injury actually stemmed back to a nasty hit he took in the home game against Washington during the Superbowl run 06-07 season...

29 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

I've often heard Peyton's injury actually stemmed back to a nasty hit he took in the home game against Washington during the Superbowl run 06-07 season...

I thought Peyton's injury was, in large part, a genetic issue - which is what kept his older brother, Cooper (who has often been said to be the best football player in the Manning family), from having a long football career.  I wouldn't be shocked at all if multiple hits he took throughout his career exacerbated the problem, though.

In 2011, Dungy came out and said he thought that hit in 2006 was the root of it, though.  He said it was right after that when they started cutting his throws back in practice, etc... it was a pretty nasty hit (http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapolis-colts/09000d5d8275f9af/Did-Redskins-cause-Manning-s-neck-injury)

11 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I thought Peyton's injury was, in large part, a genetic issue - which is what kept his older brother, Cooper (who has often been said to be the best football player in the Manning family), from having a long football career.  I wouldn't be shocked at all if multiple hits he took throughout his career exacerbated the problem, though.

In 2011, Dungy came out and said he thought that hit in 2006 was the root of it, though.  He said it was right after that when they started cutting his throws back in practice, etc... it was a pretty nasty hit (http://www.nfl.com/videos/indianapolis-colts/09000d5d8275f9af/Did-Redskins-cause-Manning-s-neck-injury)

Felt weird about liking your post, cause I hate what happened to 18...

but that info sounds about right, ha...

You know what I mean...

20 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

According to Irsay...

@Zkeefer

Via Irsay: #Colts had Clay Matthews on the card in R1 of 09 draft. Green Bay traded up to Matthews at last moment. Colts took Donald Brown.

Boy would that have been awesome to have gotten Mathews in that draft!

7 hours ago, Buck Showalter said:

I came up out of my seat watching this game screaming at the tv, saying that the refs were letting Peyton get killed! I can't tell you how many late whistles were blown by them throughout this game. Peyton basically was folded in half backwards. Outside the game where Manning hurt his jaw, I had never seen him take a cpl of snaps off. 

Clay Matthews in a Colts uniform doing a predator move after a sack. Nice dream there IMO.

That would would have been spectacular to see with a blue horseshoe on the side of his helmet. A better fathead commercial too. haha

Plus, with all that thick hair, Mr. Matthews will never go bald. That means a lot to guys thinning out on top or the back of their head, but I digress...

clay-matthews-predator-matthews-predator

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Clay Matthews in a Colts uniform doing a predator move after a sack. Nice dream there IMO.

That would would have been spectacular to see with a blue horseshoe on the side of his helmet. A better fathead commercial too. haha

clay-matthews-predator-matthews-predator

Imagine us having Freeney Mathis and Clay Matthews for a couple of years. Holy hell that would have been unbelievable. What a pass rush that would have been.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

Imagine us having Freeney Mathis and Clay Matthews for a couple of years. Holy hell that would have been unbelievable. What a pass rush that would have been.

The tornado spin move collides with "you're one ugly" you know what as Arnold would say...A great intimidation duo for sure RTB. 

Uh huh. Talk about dropping the sledgehammer on opposing QBs. Nice! 

21 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

According to Irsay...

@Zkeefer

We could have had Matthews from an excellent NFL family bloodline or Donald Brown. Man that really stings when you read that near miss or near guarantee on screen RTB. Darn. 

Yes, I know Brown was a complete professional, but nowhere near as productive as Clay is. Major bummer.