Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Theme of the 2017 draft - Rush The Passer

After the "Protect 12" mantra finally worked and Grigson went out of his way to address the offensive line, I propose we start a new one for this coming season. I think we all agree what the most pressing need for this team is - pass rush. With that said, lets start a new complaint trend - rush the passer, rush the passer, rush the passer! We have 1 year to make Grigson draft 4 pass-rushers next year. Do your best, guys and gals! :D

With that said here are some pass rushing prospects for next year:

Myles Garrett, DE/OLB, Texas A&M

Derek Barnett, DE/OLB, Tennessee

Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri

Lewis Neal, DE/OLB, LSU

Carl Lawson, DE/OLB, Auburn

Marquis Haynes, DE/OLB, Ole Miss

Sam Hubbard, DE/OLB, Ohio State

Ryan Anderson, DE/OLB, Alabama

(weird vid, but only 1 with highlight i found)

Devonte Fields, OLB, Louisville

Lorenzo Carter, DE/OLB, Georgia

Chris Casher, DE/OLB, Florida State

Darius English, OLB, South Carolina

Peter Kalambayi, OLB, Stanford

Thanks for posting these! I don't really follow college football, so this is very helpful. And Myles Garrett does look like an absolute beast! I assume he will be long gone by the time we pick, that is if we have a decent year

Myles Garrett was arguably the top hs prospect in the country a few years ago. He has dominated in his first 2 years in the sec. 

Imo he is a clowney that plays with effort and without the baggage.  He might be the top overall pick next year. 

Yep, that's probably the case.  I thought it was interesting that we had so much $ invested in Mathis, Cole, and Walden for this year.  Whether we drafted someone or not, I kind of felt most of the reps were spoken for.  Even a first rounder wouldn't have gotten many reps until late in the year.  I sort of think that Mathis is easily going to be a double-digit sack guy, and we won't really lack pass rush like we did last year...

4 hours ago, stitches said:

I'd give my left nut for Myles Garrett :omg:

Myles Garrett is one bad dude rushing the passer. While I prefer to keep my anatomy in tact, it kinda makes you wish somehow he'd drop to the back end of the first round where I think/hope we will be picking.

Hopefully one of the tackles we drafted can play guard. If so and they work out we are set at o line for some time. We definitely will need at least 2 olbs next season as three of ours, the top 3 as of now, are 30 or older we will also need a quality rb. We do not know what we have in Varga and Ferguson is even more of an unknown. Gore will be 33 soon. If he even plays next season I can't see much. And corner back is going to need to be addressed again probably. 

I appreciate the enthusiasm, and you are spot-on about needing to address the pass rush long term.  It will also be a deep RB draft in 2017, so hopefully, we can get a Blue Chip 3-down back.

I wouldn't be surprised if Grigson is aware of the pulse of the fans, but I doubt he factors in what the fans want when he is team-building.  He definitely doesn't need us to tell him what should be painfully obvious to him.  I think Irsay is the only one that can make him do anything, which we just saw in this draft.

"Yes, sir, Mr. Irsay.  Offensive line coming right up Mr. Irsay.  What's that Mr. Irsay?  Now pass rushers? I'm on it Mr. Irsay." :thmup:

I think next year we go heavy on pass rusher. I'm wondering though, will we be able to get a good RB and pass rusher with our first two picks. Guys like Chubb, McCaffrey, and other top RBs will be off the board by our second pick.

40 minutes ago, B~Town said:

How about play makers on defense going to need lots of positions on defense in next years draft .

Yeah, the OP is more facetious than serious and used more as a device to introduce next year's pass-rushers. I still subscribe to drafting BPA and we sure have a lot of holes to fill on D, so in reality I'd be OK with a lot of different combinations of picks next year.

14 minutes ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I appreciate the enthusiasm, and you are spot-on about needing to address the pass rush long term.  It will also be a deep RB draft in 2017, so hopefully, we can get a Blue Chip 3-down back.

I wouldn't be surprised if Grigson is aware of the pulse of the fans, but I doubt he factors in what the fans want when he is team-building.  He definitely doesn't need us to tell him what should be painfully obvious to him.  I think Irsay is the only one that can make him do anything, which we just saw in this draft.

"Yes, sir, Mr. Irsay.  Offensive line coming right up Mr. Irsay.  What's that Mr. Irsay?  Now pass rushers? I'm on it Mr. Irsay." :thmup:

Yeah, I was kidding about that. I have no illusions about the fans having any true say in what the FO does and furthermore - that's the way I prefer it to be. At the end of the day it's his job on the line, not mine, so he better be responsible for his own decisions, rather than somebody else's.

2 hours ago, IndyScribe said:

I think next year we go heavy on pass rusher. I'm wondering though, will we be able to get a good RB and pass rusher with our first two picks. Guys like Chubb, McCaffrey, and other top RBs will be off the board by our second pick.

There's a good chance both Chubb and Mcaffrey are there in the 2nd. 

If you look at the potential free agents next summer you will see that there has the potential to be a lot more DE/OLB hit the market that we could find very interesting. We know Grigson was saving money for Andrew but we should have a nice amount freed up next year too to possibly attract 1 or two pretty good players if they hit the market. I look for us to draft AND address our LBs in free agency next year. No reason to reach for a player or overpay (see NY Giants for both) at a position of need even when the market is bad. There wasn't a lot of pass rushers in free agency or the draft this year. Next years is shaping up to be a little bit stronger...at running back too so the value is beefing up the line this year and spending for pass rush next year.

11 hours ago, SP_21 said:

There's a good chance both Chubb and Mcaffrey are there in the 2nd. 

I wouldn't put their chances at any higher than 50/50....     I'd say there's a better chance that (A) they go in the 1st and (B)  if they go in the 2nd,  it's long before we pick....

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wouldn't put their chances at any higher than 50/50....     I'd say there's a better chance that (A) they go in the 1st and (B)  if they go in the 2nd,  it's long before we pick....

You could be right no doubt. I believe Chubbs knee injury is going to affect him tremendously come draft day even if he comes back strong.

Mcaffrey I need to look at more but I think he'll slide given all the RB talent in this draft. He's so much fun to watch but I wonder how he'll fare in the NFL

Chances are we will be drafting at the end of the round next year.  We will also have a ton of cap space as well.   Assuming he signs his one year franchise tag it might make more sense to trade for a proven young star like Mo Wilkerson.  Draft choices still need to prove they can play in the pros.  Mo certainly has.  Who knows if we sign Luck early maybe we can find a way to get him this year.  The Jets really need the cap space.  Wishful thinking on my part. 

I like Carl Lawson from Auburn. Whenever he played, he was a difference maker, he was just too injured. If we draft again at the end of rounds, and if he has a good year, he may be available at the end of round 2.

Other than that, I like either Lewis Neal (LSU) or Desmond King (CB, Iowa) for the Colts next year in round 1.

What makes next year so interesting is we need to go defense, specifically pass rush in the draft plus a RB. The question is how  will the RB's affect the draft. We will have at least 8 picks due to a comp. for Fleener, and possibly 9, which will be great.

This year's draft was known for DT, next years draft will be known for RB, and no one has even mentioned

Leonard Fournette's name in this thread, and I think he goes before Dalvin Cook. In fact it is possible

Fournette and Cook could both go in the top 10,  and both are true studs! Zeke does it all, but if you are looking purely at the running back, Fournette is better imo. Cook is more well rounded. Fournette is being

mentioned as the next AP, and Cook is right behind. So we need people to rush the passer, and this draft should have some great ones, and some very good RB's will fall. Being on the West Coast, we don't watch much of McCaffrey, but he is a 1st round talent who could fall. He can do it all. Will be a fun draft next year.

Rebirth of the RB position next year!

We'll have some cap room next year from what I understand. So IMO our best bet is to fill some holes in free agency with some major signings, and get into the top of the 1st round by any means necessary to draft Myles Garrett. I mean we could stay where we are. Which will be in the 20s most likely, and draft a good pass rusher. Or we could go all in and come out with a superstar the likes of Von Miller and Khalil Mack.

4 hours ago, FalseStart said:

You really think he would add that much value to the team next year at the 32nd pick?

:P he won't drop to #32 unfortunately.

The more research I do, and more EDGE guys I see, I realize next year's draft class is immeasurably better at that position than this year's draft. Here's another potential first rounder:

21 hours ago, stitches said:

:P he won't drop to #32 unfortunately.

The more research I do, and more EDGE guys I see, I realize next year's draft class is immeasurably better at that position than this year's draft. Here's another potential first rounder:

I've read multiple people saying next year's draft is loaded with pass rushers (and running backs).

On May 3, 2016 at 0:06 PM, chad72 said:

I like Carl Lawson from Auburn. Whenever he played, he was a difference maker, he was just too injured. If we draft again at the end of rounds, and if he has a good year, he may be available at the end of round 2.

Other than that, I like either Lewis Neal (LSU) or Desmond King (CB, Iowa) for the Colts next year in round 1.

Lawson looks explosive to me on tape. He has trouble staying healthy, but he could be a tremendous pass rusher. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I've read multiple people saying next year's draft is loaded with pass rushers (and running backs).

Which - as it just so happens - is looking perfect for the Colts a year out.