Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grading the current roster

rock8591

55 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

That's fine. I just wanted to know what the reasoning was behind him not being elite. He has elite production against elite competition and like Hopkins and Gordon, has done it without elite QB play (at least in 2015).

He didn't have elite production last year.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So stating facts is implying? Glad you took the opportunity to put your own words and meaning to my comments.

I said he should be elite -- you came back and said he is only 19th, which if you were not implying that he wasn't elite by saying that, makes absolutely no sense for you to have responded to my original post.  You are a troll. 

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

What metric had him rated 19th?

2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

What criteria did they use to come up with the ranking?

They used his points scored based on FG's.

crazycolt1 is trolling here.

Fact of the matter is that 22 teams had more opportunities to kick FG's than us, and only 3 teams had a kicker with a higher FG %.  Adam was the best kicker in the league at FG's over 40  yards last year (92.3% or 12 for 13 from 40+).

The only reason he wasn't the most accurate kicker in the league is because he didn't have a big enough sample size.  He missed a chip shot and a 50+ yarder (25 for 27 overall).  If he had the opportunity to kick 5 more field goals, it is likely he would have been the 6th highest scoring kicker based solely on FGs and the most accurate kicker (tied at 30 for 32).

I'll repeat - Adam Vinatieri is an elite kicker in this league.

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I said he should be elite -- you came back and said he is only 19th, which if you were not implying that he wasn't elite by saying that, makes absolutely no sense for you to have responded to my original post.  You are a troll. 

They used his points scored based on FG's.

crazycolt1 is trolling here.

Fact of the matter is that 22 teams had more opportunities to kick FG's than us, and only 3 teams had a kicker with a higher FG %.  Adam was the best kicker in the league at FG's over 40  yards last year (92.3% or 12 for 13 from 40+).

The only reason he wasn't the most accurate kicker in the league is because he didn't have a big enough sample size.  He missed a chip shot and a 50+ yarder (25 for 27 overall).  If he had the opportunity to kick 5 more field goals, it is likely he would have been the 6th highest scoring kicker based solely on FGs and the most accurate kicker (tied at 30 for 32).

I'll repeat - Adam Vinatieri is an elite kicker in this league.

Grow up and quit putting words and your own meanings into my comments. Not one time did I say he wasn't an elite kicker. I stated the facts of last season. I am sorry you have a problem with me stating facts.

32 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Grow up and quit putting words and your own meanings into my comments. Not one time did I say he wasn't an elite kicker. I stated the facts of last season. I am sorry you have a problem with me stating facts.

Yes lady's your both pretty.... Now may we please focus on the subject at hand? I know I'll probably get a lot of crap for this but I think this is going to be break out season for Thornton. I say this because this year he has more competition to face, he's in his contract year, he's in a new system, and almost 30 lbs lighter. I'm expecting big things from him.

Elite = Elite = Elite

e.g. top 3 player at position, or top 10-15 players in the league. e.g. JJ Watt, Rob Gronkowski, Antonio Brown, Julio Jones, Aaron Rodgers.

Not designed for good even great players. If every player was great, then there would be no more good/average/bad players.

Save for Pat McAfee (#1 or #2 punter), I would not put any of our players as Elite.

Simply put, factors like the salary cap prevent a balanced roster from having too many Elite players. $10-20+ million contracts aren't the cheapest to stack a roster with.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

Your posts in this thread have made absolutely zero sense.

"So you want to overlook everything but percentages? Nice of you to be selective."

Kickers stats are based 100% on percentages. Kicks made vs kicks attempted. You don't have "stats that don't show up on the stat sheet"; e.g. amount of double teams commanded, QB hurries, tackles for 1-yard-gain, etc.

You stated several times that he was the "19th" ranked kicker for no reason other than pulling a random number.

Depending on what stats you'd like to use...

Total field goal percentage - #4 kicker (http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/kicking/sort/fieldGoalPct)

40-49 yards - #1 percentage-wise, #8 in total made

50+ yards - #7 in total made

Total FG made - #21 - but this is irrelevant, because it matters more how many you take versus how many you make; someone attempting 40 FGs a year will have more FGs made than someone who attempts 20.

Tell me again where you're pulling out the "19" figure?

6 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

What criteria did they use to come up with the ranking?

I googled " TR NFL player" and funny enough, no search results come up.

Also googled "adam vinatieri rank 19" and funny enough, no matches.

Sounds like he just pulled the number randomly to be frank...

1 hour ago, rock8591 said:

I googled " TR NFL player" and funny enough, no search results come up.

Also googled "adam vinatieri rank 19" and funny enough, no matches.

Sounds like he just pulled the number randomly to be frank...

So now you think I am lying? Well here is a web site who has Vinny rated at # 16. Sporting Charts.com. So frankly I couldn't care less of you are what you think.

10 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Your original post IMPLIED that Vinny wasn't elite because he wasn't "even in the top ten" according to some website.  Maybe you didn't use the actual words "he isn't elite", but you implied it with your post that he is 19th according to some website, and then 16th according to some other website.

Maybe that's not your actual opinion, and you were just playing devils' advocate by showing how others graded last season.  If that's the case, a few more sentences providing more explanation would have been better than "he's not even top ten" without backing that up with a handy dandy link or chart like the OP.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

So now you think I am lying? Well here is a web site who has Vinny rated at # 16. Sporting Charts.com. So frankly I couldn't care less of you are what you think.

So, where was he ranked #19?

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I already listed it.

your post mentioned sportingcharts.com, which had him ranked #16 (haven't looked but curious what they're basing that on), but haven't seen you post where you saw him ranked as #19.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Most definitely. That is the downside to free speech and online postings; anyone can post anything with no verification of the truth.

I saw the SportingCharts.com site...

Lists him as 16th overall as "field goals MADE"...not "field goal percentage" or "16th OVERALL".

Sounds like you're disregarding stats that don't suit you. Field Goals Made is dependent on how many you take. If you only take 27 attempts, you're not going to have many made as someone who takes 40, even if the latter is a bad kicker period.

Nowhere does it state or imply that he is 16th "overall" or "rated at #16" as you state.

2 hours ago, rock8591 said:

Most definitely. That is the downside to free speech and online postings; anyone can post anything with no verification of the truth.

Lists him as 16th overall as "field goals MADE"...not "field goal percentage" or "16th OVERALL".

Sounds like you're disregarding stats that don't suit you. Field Goals Made is dependent on how many you take. If you only take 27 attempts, you're not going to have many made as someone who takes 40, even if the latter is a bad kicker period.

Nowhere does it state or imply that he is 16th "overall" or "rated at #16" as you state.

I am not disregarding anything.  I am sorry if I hurt you feeling by stating where Vinny was rated last season. Then you want to be argumentative by adding to my comment something I never said. I never said anything about percentages, how many, if he kicked in the rain, if he kicked blindfolded, if he used his left foot. Is there anything else you would like to bring up to argue about?

2 hours ago, rock8591 said:

I don't like being called a liar. Not one time did I insult you. For your information the web site that had Vinny rated at #19 is TR NFL Football on Team Ranking sports predictions and data. I guess I could get into insulting you but that would lower me down to your level.

53 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't like being called a liar. Not one time did I insult you. For your information the web site that had Vinny rated at #19 is TR NFL Football on Team Ranking sports predictions and data. I guess I could get into insulting you but that would lower me down to your level.

Oh beautiful irony. lol

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you don't like being called a liar you should refrain from lying.

On ‎5‎/‎3‎/‎2016 at 1:10 PM, rock8591 said:

ACL injuries are nothing nowadays, compared with the past. Unless we're talking about nerve damage. Plus, he was able to walk off on own power.

So was it only ACL and was it a full tear (Kyle Schwarber of the Cubs has a full blown tear (ACL) along with LCL full blown)...  so I guess it could be worse if Kenny's was just partial ACL tear.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Just for clarity why don't you link the site so we can all see what metric is being used to rank him at #19?