Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How many rookies do we really WANT starting on the OL?

DalTXColtsFan

I see the active linemen after camp and the preseason shaping up something like this:

Starters

LT - Castanzo

LG - Mewhort

C - Kelly

LG - Good

LT - Clark

Reserves:

T - Haeg

T/G - Reitz

G - Thornton

C - Blythe

Explanations:

Starters:

Castanzo is the starting LT, no questions asked. Mewhort at LG, same reason as Castanzo. Kelly at C, same reason again. Good at RG, as he does well in both pass and run blocking but he just isn't long enough or dependable enough to take on Edge rushers. Clark at RT, because of his length and prowess against Edge rushers, as well as his quickness. 

Reserves:

Haeg has great blocking ability, but he needs to work on his grit and size to become a starter. Reitz just always seems to come back, but at the same time, he is better than many other guard/tackles we can pick up. Thornton should also be able beat out the other guards we brought in for a spot. Finally, Blyth is just a much more dependable player than Harrison, even if we haven't even seen him play at this level yet. Harrison is better suited for a practice squad than an active roster.

On 5/1/2016 at 9:58 PM, DalTXColtsFan said:

Barring injury Castanzo is our LT.  Thornton, Mewhort, Reitz, Holmes, Harrison, Good - how many of those guys can we really cut?  How comfortable would we really be with Castanzo and four rookies?

Considering we had veterans & for the most part they sucked if the rookies can make a contribution bring them on , Will there be 4 starting rookies on the O-line probably not but if the rookies with Philbins tutelage can make a difference that will be awesome . 

Yes - best five.  I would look look at it another way.  I am not comfortable putting last year's line in there either, so I would be OK with a few rookies.  And luck needs to learn to take care of himself, avoid some hits, and protect his line that way.

As long as they are the best 5 they can start I dont care if they are all rookies or aged vets.. The Colts are about to pay Luck a boat load of money. My thoughts would be protect that high dollar investment no matter who plays.

19 hours ago, gspdx said:

Yes - best five.  I would look look at it another way.  I am not comfortable putting last year's line in there either, so I would be OK with a few rookies.  And luck needs to learn to take care of himself, avoid some hits, and protect his line that way.

Holmes is gone I don't think the chances of last years line are very high.. If Kelly doesn't win C Grig's has a problem.

Best 5, but really, with A.C. and Mewhort solidifying their spots last year, (yes Mewhort's rating a LG was better  than A.C.'s RT ratings) the left side to Center seems all made out.

I Expect Good will probably win one of the other spots, T or G.  Only because they have A lot of expectations from him. If one of the other rookies cannot win the last spot, Rietz plays it, But I believe coaches would rather have Rietz in a back-up role.

On 5/4/2016 at 7:45 AM, Defjamz26 said:

I would feel comfortable starting Kelly at center and Haeg at RT. I think Thorton should start at RG. If he doesn't work or gets injured again go with Reitz there. Clark needs time. Haeg can play right now IMO.

I'd rather work Haeg into G. Even if he is a backup to start the season. You put Haeg in at RT, you are just going to have to transition him in a year unless your plan is to replace Thornton via the draft/FA and keep Haeg as a backup G/T.

I completely disagree with those who want to put Clark at guard.

5 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I'd rather work Haeg into G. Even if he is a backup to start the season. You put Haeg in at RT, you are just going to have to transition him in a year unless your plan is to replace Thornton via the draft/FA and keep Haeg as a backup G/T.

I completely disagree with those who want to put Clark at guard.

Do you think Haeg can play RG at a high level? I like him at tackle because of his 6'6" frame and technique that reminds me of Castonzo a bit.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Do you think Haeg can play RG at a high level? I like him at tackle because of his 6'6" frame and technique that reminds me of Castonzo a bit.

Well, if the point is to have a stop gap until Clark is ready, it makes little sense to draft Haeg to start there for a year until we pit Clark in when we have Reitz who is usable (and would probably be better than Haeg). It also doesnt make sense to spend a 5th on Haeg to be RT after you spent a 3rd on Clark. To the extent we drafted both to play meaningful time, i think Haeg makes more sense than Clark at RG.

Unless there's an injury, Kelly is the only rookie I can see starting week 1. I'm going to love the competition for the RG and RT, but I hope Goode makes the next step and becomes our RT for the future. I think if Clark can play to his potential, he may very well push for the RG spot.

Either way, our best five players will be out there week 1.

Hopefully Thornton puts it all together this year and has a breakout year, and Ryan Kelly is a top tier Center from week 1. If that happens and one of Reitz, Good, Clark, or Haeg are just average-slightly above average at RT then we're set. In fact we'd have a top 5 offensive line if those things happen. So best case scenario......

Castanzo-Mewhort-Kelly-Thornton-Good

Then we have Reitz, Clark, Haeg, and Blythe as the backups. Potentially very good line with really good depth. I'm hoping we have a surprise with one of Clark and Haeg Hopefully one of those 2 are the Rob Havenstein of 2016-2017

33 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Hopefully Thornton puts it all together this year and has a breakout year, and Ryan Kelly is a top tier Center from week 1. If that happens and one of Reitz, Good, Clark, or Haeg are just average-slightly above average at RT then we're set. In fact we'd have a top 5 offensive line if those things happen. So best case scenario......

Castanzo-Mewhort-Kelly-Thornton-Good

Then we have Reitz, Clark, Haeg, and Blythe as the backups. Potentially very good line with really good depth. I'm hoping we have a surprise with one of Clark and Haeg Hopefully one of those 2 are the Rob Havenstein of 2016-2017

I'd be disappointed if one of those was just the Rob Havenstein. Hopefully one of them develop into the next Terron Armstead but at RT. He was among the elite 3-4 Tackles last year both in Pass Blocking and Run Blocking...But Haventstein was average as a pass blocker but bad as a run blocker