Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay: Chosing Between Luck And Griffin Similar To Peyton And Leaf

Um...i font think that will be the case again. Leaf was pretty obvious not to be the choice. I remember they said that when they asked Leaf what he was going to do with the contract money. He said go to Vegas. Peyton said hit the playbook. They will both be very good in my opinion. Griffin justbreminds me of Cam Newton mixed with Ben Roethlisberger, and Mcnabb. His arm is scary. Its kinda like makes you want him to be chosen over Luck. Id be happy with either.

I would also be happy with either but I would prefer the Colts taking Luck over Griffin because with Luck your getting i guy who most experts think can come in and contribute from day 1. While with Griffin you have a guy with a lot of potential but a guy who is going to be a project and might take a while to really adjust to playing in the NFL.

I would also be happy with either but I would prefer the Colts taking Luck over Griffin because with Luck your getting i guy who most experts think can come in and contribute from day 1. While with Griffin you have a guy with a lot of potential but a guy who is going to be a project and might take a while to really adjust to playing in the NFL.

I think that most people feel that RGIII is a project. I think he may be more than just a project. From what we've been able to see from Cam Newton is that when he ran out of options to throw to, he was very effective as a runner. RGIII has that ability as well. He's very elusive and incredibly fast. He may be able to keep the chains moving.He is also a very good passer and may be further along than most would give him credit for. The problem is that he will not be able to sustain this type of play with his size. Even Tebow at 6'3" and 235lbs has taken a beating.

Interestingly enough, Luck is 6'4" and 240lbs, and he runs a faster 40 than Tebow. I vote Luck over RGIII, but feel that RGIII can be incredible.

I think that most people feel that RGIII is a project. I think he may be more than just a project. From what we've been able to see from Cam Newton is that when he ran out of options to throw to, he was very effective as a runner. RGIII has that ability as well. He's very elusive and incredibly fast. He may be able to keep the chains moving.He is also a very good passer and may be further along than most would give him credit for. The problem is that he will not be able to sustain this type of play with his size. Even Tebow at 6'3" and 235lbs has taken a beating.

Interestingly enough, Luck is 6'4" and 240lbs, and he runs a faster 40 than Tebow. I vote Luck over RGIII, but feel that RGIII can be incredible.

That;'s a real point Flash..

Tebow could not have played this week even if Denver had won....

RG3 is not the runner Tebow is but that's a real concern...

Luck's not going to be asked to run for the Colts...That's not how they roll (or used to roll)

Which doesn't matter as niether player would be contributing here day 1... or year 1...

So he's calling one of them Ryan Leaf...

LOL unfortunately, yes!

IDK butbi have a feeling that Luck will fit into our system more. Rgiii will fit into somewhere where their offensive line needs work. We did all learn the lesson with Vick that an out off pocket Qb will not succeed. Defenses have vastly improved since back then. He will be a good fit with the redskins though. They're an all run offensive line.

RG3 for me has a way higher ceiling than Luck. Hes not like Vick or Young he goes through his reads first. When he cant throw he'll run. Now he does tend to struggle with his reads at time and take off that at the NFL level is very correctable. Also he needs to get better at throwing towards the middle of the field and intermediate routes. In college he did most of his work on the sideline be it deep or short but most of his throws go there with deadly accuracy. Also hes only 21 granted he wont grow any taller, but he can definitely fill in his frame more once he starts training and conditioning on an NFL level.

RG3 for me has a way higher ceiling than Luck.

Another way to think about ceilings is by what the prospect lacks right now that would be required to be successful at the NFL level. Using this criteria, RG3 definitely needs more work to be a successful NFL QB than Luck. Luck is closer, and needs less work.

Beyond the criteria of obtaining what it takes to be a successful NFL QB, I think both prospects have similar potential to be a PBQB or a FHOFQB, although I think projecting this "ceiling" is very imprecise and subject to much bias given that neither of them have played an NFL down yet.

Another way to think about ceilings is by what the prospect lacks right now that would be required to be successful at the NFL level. Using this criteria, RG3 definitely needs more work to be a successful NFL QB than Luck. Luck is closer, and needs less work.

Beyond the criteria of obtaining what it takes to be a successful NFL QB, I think both prospects have similar potential to be a PBQB or a FHOFQB, although I think projecting this "ceiling" is very imprecise and subject to much bias given that neither of them have played an NFL down yet.

I agree with you on this

This is why we need to take luck

#luck2012

RG3 for me has a way higher ceiling than Luck. Hes not like Vick or Young he goes through his reads first. When he cant throw he'll run. Now he does tend to struggle with his reads at time and take off that at the NFL level is very correctable. Also he needs to get better at throwing towards the middle of the field and intermediate routes. In college he did most of his work on the sideline be it deep or short but most of his throws go there with deadly accuracy. Also hes only 21 granted he wont grow any taller, but he can definitely fill in his frame more once he starts training and conditioning on an NFL level.

While I do agree with some of what you say, I personally don't think his ceiling is that much higher. Luck IMO will have the ability to create his own plays and playbooks, read schemes, call audibles and run the overall offense at a much higher level than RGiii, especially right out the gate. On the other hand RGiii will always be more athletic and explosive than Andrew Luck. The way Luck runs the offense sometimes is similar to how Peyton runs things. I think it boils down to athleticism and explosivness vs raw intellect and fundamentals, while both sharing some of the same attributes. The one major problem I have with RGiii is that while he is smart and has an arm, he uses his athleticism consistantly on a per game basis which could lead to a sever injury going up against the ferocious defensive players of the NFL. Luck also does the same thing but not to the extent RGiii does, basically around upwards of 1,000 rush yards for Luck and around 2,000+ for RGiii. RGiii has already suffered an isolated tear to his ACL in 2009. Obviously he healed well but we all know mobile, rushing QB's have a tendency to be injury prone. I could also see Luck not relying on his athleticism in the NFL as much as Robert will, possibly leading to less injuries for Luck.

It's all a matter of opinion, there's really no way to guarantee which one will have more success in the NFL. Only time will tell. :tvsmash:

The one major problem I have with RGiii is that while he is smart and has an arm, he uses his athleticism consistantly on a per game basis which could lead to a sever injury going up against the ferocious defensive players of the NFL. Luck also does the same thing but not to the extent RGiii does, basically around upwards of 1,000 rush yards for Luck and around 2,000+ for RGiii. RGiii has already suffered an isolated tear to his ACL in 2009.

Some statistics to back up what you have noted:

Luck (2011 Stanford Cardinal) rush attempts: 47

RG3 (2011 Baylor Bears) rush attempts: 179

Peyton Manning (1997 Tennessee Volunteers) rush attempts: 49

I think RGIII would be lucky to be as good as Steve McNair, the 1995 3rd overall choice. McNair could throw, and also run as well. He too, was often injured. But a good player when healthy, quite effective and once a co-MVP with Manning. And he lost a super bowl by 1 yard to the greatest show on turf Rams.

Always freeaky athletic QB's that come out and promise beyond the stars ceilings, but in reality only delivers the spectacular beffuddled with setbacks and injuries. I predict nothing different, unfortunately.

Irsay is taking Luck. It's been written for some time.

Griffin is not in the picture, it's just fun to talk about.

Irsay is going with the best prospect since Elway/Manning.

The Colts sucked for Luck. They did not suck for Griffin.

You take Luck 365 days a year and 7 days a week.

Im usually not in favor of spread offense QBs but I think RG3 will be a good one. I just think its going to take more time for him. Of course Cam came in this year and blew the league up so maybe Griffin can do the same.