Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Trevor Bates, DE, Maine

coltsfanmilyman

http://www.draftinsider.net/reports/2016/OLB/Trevor-Bates

Trevor Bates

School: Maine
Position: OLB
Positive: Three-year starter awarded all-Conference honors since his sophomore season. Senior totals included 57 tackles, 14.5 tackles for loss and 7.5 sacks. Undersized college defensive end who projects to linebacker at the next level. Quick and explosive, plays with good lean and displays a solid change of direction. Breaks down well, effectively uses his hands to protect himself and displays speed moving to every area of the field. Plays faster than his 40 time, hard charging and almost never off his feet. Plays with balance, body control and uses his hands well. Quick up the field, fast off the edge and makes plays in space.
Negative: Easily handled at the point of attack. Primarily used up the field.
Analysis: Bates consistently produced on the college field and projects as a designated pass rusher/special teams player for the next level.

1 minute ago, Carlos Danger said:

Trusting Grigs on these late rounders... Amazed at some of the players available... Just reminds me of how little I know about the whole process... 

I do get tired of the instant negativity, but that part of the reason forums exist... GO COLTS

I think overall it's been a Good to Very Good Draft. I give it a B

1 minute ago, MPStack said:

I completely agree. I`m sure Dustin thinks otherwise! Sarcasm!

Yeah it's not an A but I do think it's a B. Grigs hit on many weaknesses IMO. No we didn't get a an awesome Pass Rusher but protecting Andrew is actually more important and I think the TJ pick will pan out. Once Floyd got Drafted I was thinking, Grigs go O.Line! and he did.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think overall it's been a Good to Very Good Draft. I give it a B

I agree.. I think Kelly and Ridgeway will both be used heavily in their rookie seasons.

Green has the measurables to take over at FS in 2017 with some good coaching. I think he will be a key contributer on ST as a rookie. 

Clark needs to add strength and learn the system, but has the potential to be a future pro bowler at Tackle or Guard, imo.  and we just grabbed Blyth, too... O-Line is set for a while, I'd say!

14 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I love it how because you dont know the player, you automatically assume hes bad

Yep alot of folks do that here!!! It's simply ignorance and comes out of pouting and being mad because we didn't select who they thought we should have.

Just now, weslo1812 said:

Yep alot of folks do that here!!! It's simply ignorance and comes out of pouting and being mad because we didn't select who they thought we should have.

hence my thread on warning people what happens here during the draft haha

4 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

I really don't think we could've done better looking at it. We hit on weaknesses, got some O.lineman for depth and hopefully a Great Center, TJ hopefully will bring toughness to the Defense as well.

He was so off the radar that NFL.com had nothing about him when he first popped up not even a rating.  As of now all they have is his height and weight

if you watched the ESPN coverage, they went on about how they have video on over 500 players but nothing on Bates.  This could be another Denzell Good pick, Small barely known school but high upside

Mars Hill------ Maine

I like this pick a lot more than our 4th round ILB.  Of course that isn't saying much but at least it sounds like this kid isn't a stiff (pun intended since the more I find out about our new ILB., he sure sounds like a stiff stiff).  

I'm happy with the draft overall. We have solidified our trenches on both sides which is big. And we got a fantastic athlete in Tj Green who needs some development and coaching. But has all the physical abilities to be a great safety with great range.