Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Joe Haeg, OL, North Dakota State

ColtsFanMikeC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this pick -- he is a 2 time FCS All-American, highly touted as the FCS' best OL.

Has good size 6'6" 304 lbs. with room to grow.

Is a zone-blocking scheme fit.

Needs to improve his strength seems to be the biggest knock on him.

I think this will be it for the OL in this draft -- we now have a starting center and what seems to be good depth along the entire OL.

This is Grigson trolling. "You want offensive line? I'll give you offensive line!" haha

In all seriousness, eventually we need SOMEONE to rush the passers, but I think this pick finishes the OLine, depth and all. We're going to have an awesome competition this year in training camp!

Just now, 21isSuperman said:

Does this mean the Colts aren't all that confident in Good?

No they are not confident in this teams miserable depth on the OL...   I love this ...    OL should have been priority one from the get go.   Better late than never?

I could be wrong but I think they are going to try and move Clark into the RG spot. Especially because before that, they were just talking about how they need to stop the "musical chairs" at the inside spots of the O-Line.

4 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

We suddenly have a surplus of lineman. Do we have a roster spot for all these guys?

I don't know -- but I think it's fine if we don't.

We have a solid LT, LG, C in place now, plus between Thornton, Holmes, Reitz, Good and Clark we have 5 guys who can potentially play RG.  Even if Haeg gets put on the PS, it will be good to know we have depth across the entire line and it will be good to actually have competition (high level competition) at the OL positions during training camp and throughout the season -- something we've yet to really have in the Grigs era.

Just now, OHColtfan said:

my goodness, are we ever going to draft an OLB? Roster has 1 backup for Walden--- Eze Obiora  That is painfully thin.

I just think the Edge/OLB class was weak and Grigson went with the best value according to his board. Bottom line being too many holes to fill in one draft. Yes, the pass rush doesn`t sound encouraging for 2016. However, the Oline looks very encouraging. 

2 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

So what do we project for our starting OL next year?  Castonzo, Mewhort, Kelly, Clark, Reitz/Good?

I think Castonzo, Mewhort, Kelly are locks from the left side in.

I expect Reitz, Clark, Good to be tested as possible starting RTs, with Haeg, Van Dyk, and Graf battling just to keep a roster spot.

I think we will see Thornton, Holmes, Reitz, Clark, and Good (depending on who starts at RT) battling for the RG position.

** An interesting note -- Reitz is listed solely as a 'G' in the Colts.com roster, whereas Mewhort is listed as T/G.  In all honesty, I don't expect it, but won't be shocked, if we give Mewhort some opportunities at RT again and try moving Reitz or Clark over to LG.

This is by far the best depth we've had on OL during the Luck era.  And I like it because we have several players who can play across the line.

My projected OL to make the roster will be:

Castonzo, Mewhort, Kelly, Reitz, Clark, Holmes, Thornton, Good, and Haeg.  How the starting 5 will shape up, I have no idea.

5 minutes ago, Blue Preying Mathis said:

I'm excited by this pick.  Yet for a different reason than most.  It's nice to finally see a player from my alumni on my favorite professional team.

...from your alma mater I assume!  

11 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I like this pick -- he is a 2 time FCS All-American, highly touted as the FCS' best OL.

Has good size 6'6" 304 lbs. with room to grow.

Is a zone-blocking scheme fit.

Needs to improve his strength seems to be the biggest knock on him.

I think this will be it for the OL in this draft -- we now have a starting center and what seems to be good depth along the entire OL.

We wanted O-line help and we're getting it...

No mor e picking up linemen off the street at midseason

2 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I just think the Edge/OLB class was weak and Grigson went with the best value according to his board. Bottom line being too many holes to fill in one draft. Yes, the pass rush doesn`t sound encouraging for 2016. However, the Oline looks very encouraging. 

I like the sound of that....

"The O-line looks very encouraging"

It seems obvious that Philbin needs certain players for his scheme and that's what we are doing.  He is grabbing these tackles (a position we didn't think we needed) because they are all athletic, and talented...quick feet.  .  THey can play along the line while a true guard would be more one dimensional.  That's my guess anyway.

16 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

Does this mean the Colts aren't all that confident in Good?

I don't think so.  Good was a developmental player -- Haeg is also a developmental player.

I think Kelly and Clark can both come in and start right away.  Good may still need more time to develop, but between him, Reitz and Clark (and potentially Mewhort), we have 3(4) guys that can battle for a starting RT spot (I'm assuming Haeg is going to need time to develop and that Van Dyk and Graf will just be camp bodies).

Good, Reitz and Clark also can potentially play G, so it will be very interesting to see what happens.

As Grigs likes to say "Man sharpens man like Iron sharpens Iron." -- there is no such thing as too much competition in training camp.

19 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

This is Grigson trolling. "You want offensive line? I'll give you offensive line!" haha

In all seriousness, eventually we need SOMEONE to rush the passers, but I think this pick finishes the OLine, depth and all. We're going to have an awesome competition this year in training camp!

If Griggs hasn't fixed our O line after all this then even I will feel badly for him. He is definitely trying.  I'll give him that much.