Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Antonio Morrison, LB, Florida

tvturner

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

That's not the kind of thinking we need to have. What we need is a game wrecking freak OLB who puts up double digit sacks every season.

It was either load up on O.Line or load up on Defense. I am ok with this Draft after Andrew nearly getting killed last season. TJ, IMO will be a Good Pro. He will better than Toler haha 

13 minutes ago, MPStack said:

On the bright side for the Scooby Doo fans here, it looks like he will go undrafted. Maybe the Colts sign him as an UDFA. I never saw the hype. Glad we didn`t take him.

That draft profile pic that ESPN is showing of him doesn't exactly scream out bad @zz linebacker, lol!

3 hours ago, Swaggy G said:

Don't try and defend the guy like he is a model citizen. He was arrested for punching a bouncer in the face for charging him a cover fee at a bar. Definitely concerned about his coverage skills but he does play violently. 

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1675475-florida-football-antonio-morrison-arrested-for-allegedly-punching-bouncer#

OK .. my tail is now between my legs.

Love this pick - Watch replays of Florida games and you'll see him in on about every play. This kid has a true nose for the football and a lot of heart! This will be a great addition to the Colts LB group and could emerge as a leader in the future.

2 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

That draft profile pic that ESPN is showing of him doesn't exactly scream out bad @zz linebacker, lol!

I watched all the tape I could on him and just didn`t see what others did. Zero thump to his game, slow and whiffs way too much. Just my two cents.

This guy was BRUTALIZED by draft guys saying he couldn't pass defend at all so was a huge liability in the pass game (and they emphasized that was even when he was healthy) and said he has some of the weakest lateral movement ability in his class.  Yikes.  I have zero knowledge of him, but that was the worst trashing of a player I have heard during the draft.  I sure hope they're 100% wrong... they NEED to be or it is a wasted pick.  

Watched the highlight tape of him vs Ole Miss from this past season, it is immediately evident that the coverage skills are lacking, but he definitely is a big hitter and he seems like he's around the ball trying to make a play every single down. Some good coaching and he could be pretty decent.

video in case anyone wanted to see it: 

I was impressed with the Ole Miss game video.  Looks active and tough.  He seemed to be able to avoid blocks and be around the ball.  When closing on the ball carrier, he doesn't seem to get out of position and is not easily juked.

He's better than I thought.

8 hours ago, Bleedin Blue said:

Freeney and Mathis were both undersized.  I don't really care about that particular assessment.  Does he produce, can he stay healthy?  That is what I care about.  He seems to be "ok" in the first department. 

Also, those incidents off the field were 3 years ago.  Maybe the kid has matured since then. We'll see...

Freeney was just short for the position.  Guy was built like a truck.

5 hours ago, Michigan_Colts_Fan said:

I thought of another locker room aspect Morrison might help with.  Since 2012 it seems like when the Colts play the Patriots the game is already over before it begins because the Colts are almost in awe of the Patriots.  The Ravens on the other hand, while not always having the talent the Patriots do, play them tough and have won a couple times because they fully believe they can play with the Patriots and they are better than the Patriots.  Morrison being described as the most intense player in the draft seems like a move to change the mindset of the team to more of the Ravens' "we don't care who the players are over there, we're better than they are and we'll prove it" mindset.  Bringing Monachino over from the Ravens is another step to changing the mindset of the franchise.

I might be mistaken but those games have been close at halftime.  Anyway, I don't think it has anything to do,with the above. Ravens have had superior talent and coaching.

8 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

Exactly go another rout 

This wouid have been the perfect spot to roll the dice on Roninson CB from LSU. I am not big on off the field problem children but this kid is a day 2 talent. Long and atheltic excels in press coverage. Not often you get a shot at a play making CB this late. If he doesn't pull his act together cut him It's better than waiting to see who hits the IR first Morrison or Holmes. 

Gonna go back and watch more of him after listening to the presser. A lot of people have said that he's more of a 4.8 guy than a 5.1 guy, which is reasonable, considering he was just getting over a staph infection at his pro day. Grigson and Pagano, especially Pagano, are known for talking guys up (who doesn't talk their guys up, though), but they went above and beyond on Morrison. Makes it worth a more in depth look, I think.

Morrison will likely red-shirt and rehab his knee while putting on weight. Expect him to compete for the starting Mike spot in 2017 when Jackson's contract expires.

Popped out on tape whenever I watched the Gators play. Huge potential.

9 hours ago, Superman said:

Gonna go back and watch more of him after listening to the presser. A lot of people have said that he's more of a 4.8 guy than a 5.1 guy, which is reasonable, considering he was just getting over a staph infection at his pro day. Grigson and Pagano, especially Pagano, are known for talking guys up (who doesn't talk their guys up, though), but they went above and beyond on Morrison. Makes it worth a more in depth look, I think.

Also still rehabbing a knee that he came back too fast from.

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Morrison will likely red-shirt and rehab his knee while putting on weight. Expect him to compete for the starting Mike spot in 2017 when Jackson's contract expires.

Popped out on tape whenever I watched the Gators play. Huge potential.

I like the pick. Didn't at first because I was hoping for a RB. There were many good ones available. But he is described by one site as a glass eater; alpha dog; leader of the top defense in the SEC. And when you see him pre injury, he's special. His dog barking incident was dismissed, and he hasn't had a problem since. This guy seems like a warrior to me, and with a healing knee, which I'm sure the Colts checked on, his coverage issues may be far less worrisome. He's certainly a two down banger. And maybe more. And a passionate, focused, pass rushing demon. Lets give him a chance. 

On 5/1/2016 at 9:44 PM, Superman said:

Just read the article by Mike Wells on ESPN.com about Morrison, this quote stood out to me and offered some insight into the pick:

"

All it took for the Colts to become enamored with Morrison -- outside of back-to-back seasons of at least 100 tackles -- was the toughness he showed when he ran the 40-yard dash during his Pro Day at Florida four days after having a catheter taken out of his chest.

Doctors urged him not to take part, but Morrison didn’t want to pass up the opportunity to run in front of NFL teams, especially after he missed the annual scouting combine because of a staph infection that had him on antibiotics for six weeks.

Grigson and coach Chuck Pagano were not only impressed with Morrison’s toughness through the situation, it also showed them that he’s committed to do whatever it takes to be successful.

"

On 5/1/2016 at 5:42 PM, Hoose said:

I like the pick. Didn't at first because I was hoping for a RB. There were many good ones available. But he is described by one site as a glass eater; alpha dog; leader of the top defense in the SEC. And when you see him pre injury, he's special. His dog barking incident was dismissed, and he hasn't had a problem since. This guy seems like a warrior to me, and with a healing knee, which I'm sure the Colts checked on, his coverage issues may be far less worrisome. He's certainly a two down banger. And maybe more. And a passionate, focused, pass rushing demon. Lets give him a chance. 

The dog's name was Barkevious Mingo.