Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Antonio Morrison, LB, Florida

tvturner

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our defense w/o Mathis, doesn't really have enough leadership nor do we have an identity, imo.  Taken in the 4th round, my hope is that's what Grigson had in mind in taking him.  Toughness as a team identity going forward.  If he were a 7th rounder I would say he's a toss up, but I think Grigs knows what he has here.

I hope everyone stops with the whole "Grigson goes BPA in every round" thing now. This kid appears to be another terrible, waste of a pick. But oh great we got a backup ILB who may be a decent special teamer when we could have gotten a RB like Dixon who could have actually made a big impact on offense. BPA my __. The only pick I like today is Ridgeway and I loved that pick. Ridgeway will be a star IMO

Just now, COLTS449 said:

I hope everyone stops with the whole "Grigson goes BPA in every round" thing now. This kid appears to be another terrible, waste of a pick. But oh great we got a backup ILB who may be a decent special teamer when we could have gotten a RB like Dixon who could have actually made a big impact on offense. BPA my __. The only pick I like today is Ridgeway and I loved that pick. Ridgeway will be a star IMO

image.jpeg

He will probably be a better Pro than Ragland lmao So far I give this Draft a B. Very Good but not Great. I like what Grigs is doing by loading up on the O.Line. We still don't have a great Pass Rusher but maybe Grigs will target that in next years Draft. Maybe Mathis has 1 Great year left in him as well. Mathis is capable of getting at least 10 sacks which is Good, he will be 100% healthy which he wasn't last season. I love the TJ Green pick, dude has Speed and Size.

11 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

You seem to like players with great potential but don't live up to it ...as opposed to players who are limited but give it 110%.  I think a team needs both types.  If Robert Mathis (undersized) had the ethic of Tunsil, he would have never made it in this league.  Tunsil has great talent but will fail if he doesn't give it his all.    

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He will probably be a better Pro than Ragland lmao So far I give this Draft a B. Very Good but not Great. I like what Grigs is doing by loading up on the O.Line. We still don't have a great Pass Rusher but maybe Grigs will target that in next years Draft. Maybe Mathis has 1 Great year left in him as well. Mathis is capable of getting at least 10 sacks which is Good, he will be 100% healthy which he wasn't last season. I love the TJ Green pick, dude has Speed and Size.

Maybe this year's plan will be to use a lot of blitzing like we have had to do before. One comment about TJ Green that struck me was on NFL.com's analysis they said he was a "lightning blitzer" from of the slot.

Tell you what. Mathis HAS to come in and give up 12 plus sacks this year if we want to be legit Super Bowl contenders, One of the many things I cant stand about Grigson is he's content with waiting a year or more to be true contenders.

5 minutes ago, Buddy Lee said:

Maybe this year's plan will be to use a lot of blitzing like we have had to do before. One comment about TJ Green that struck me was on NFL.com's analysis they said he was a "lightning blitzer" from of the slot.

That's not the kind of thinking we need to have. What we need is a game wrecking freak OLB who puts up double digit sacks every season.

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

That's not the kind of thinking we need to have. What we need is a game wrecking freak OLB who puts up double digit sacks every season.

You're right but those guys aren't generally available in the 4th round. 

And really none of the edge guys in this draft are the "freak OLB" you want. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1984170/antonio-morrison

Player Overview

Arguably the most intense player at the college level, Morrison wasn't supposed to play the first half of the 2015 season due to a serious knee injury in the Gators' bowl game last January. He was expected to miss 10-12 months, but was back on the field in only six months and played at a very high level as a senior with back-to-back 100-tackle seasons to cap his Florida career.

6 minutes ago, 1959Colts said:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1984170/antonio-morrison

Player Overview

Arguably the most intense player at the college level, Morrison wasn't supposed to play the first half of the 2015 season due to a serious knee injury in the Gators' bowl game last January. He was expected to miss 10-12 months, but was back on the field in only six months and played at a very high level as a senior with back-to-back 100-tackle seasons to cap his Florida career.

Can't teach heart...

4 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Baltimore knows what they're doing. Getting guys like Dixon and Judon and Henry in the 4th and 5th. Correa in the 2nd. They've had a great draft.

Baltimore's secret is to have a really bad year every once in a while and rack up great players.  Which they do very well.

26 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Because those guys are so easy to find.

52 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

weren't you the guy who thought Billings was the BPA at 18?

44 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

You seem to like players with great potential but don't live up to it ...as opposed to players who are limited but give it 110%.  I think a team needs both types.  If Robert Mathis (undersized) had the ethic of Tunsil, he would have never made it in this league.  Tunsil has great talent but will fail if he doesn't give it his all.    

he's just mad we didn't draft Spence. Give him time to sulk!

1 hour ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

He certainly seems to play fast.  And coming off the knee injury plus his infections (which caused him to miss the combine) could have severely altered his drills.

Many college players train for months just for combine specific drills, and it sounds as though Morrison didn't have that as an option due to having an infection.  The 40 can be a good metric, but I don't know for sure that it is the best metric to measure someone who hasn't had time to train specifically for it (just a poor start can take tenths of seconds off your time).

I did more digging and they say he is very quick ,just not strait line fast etc... so I feel better about the pick if h3 can get back fully healthy 

1 hour ago, Bluefire4 said:

He plays faster than he ran. He was dealing with some stuff.

That's true, but not by half a second or anything. I'll give him two or three tenths off his 40, but then he's still a 4.8 guy at 230 pounds... 

For anyone thinking I'm writing him off, I'm not. I just don't think he's a good pick. I don't like his profile. I hope he plays well for us, assuming he gets the chance to.

I thought of another locker room aspect Morrison might help with.  Since 2012 it seems like when the Colts play the Patriots the game is already over before it begins because the Colts are almost in awe of the Patriots.  The Ravens on the other hand, while not always having the talent the Patriots do, play them tough and have won a couple times because they fully believe they can play with the Patriots and they are better than the Patriots.  Morrison being described as the most intense player in the draft seems like a move to change the mindset of the team to more of the Ravens' "we don't care who the players are over there, we're better than they are and we'll prove it" mindset.  Bringing Monachino over from the Ravens is another step to changing the mindset of the franchise.

I think a guy who led an SEC team two years in tackles....has something we need to put

on the field and watch..

....This guy led his teams defense in the SEC and we need linebackers.

He's been hurt but its a good gamble...

We don't have to change any position or project him.....We just need him to do what he did in the SEC

2 hours ago, Swaggy G said:

Don't try and defend the guy like he is a model citizen. He was arrested for punching a bouncer in the face for charging him a cover fee at a bar. Definitely concerned about his coverage skills but he does play violently. 

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1675475-florida-football-antonio-morrison-arrested-for-allegedly-punching-bouncer#

This doesnt sound like a big deal.

He didn't assault a women, drive drunk or sell drugs.

He took a swing at a guy who was probably another tough guy.

..and to be arrested in part because you talked back to a police dog ...come on. Even the dog had to think that was funny

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

Baltimore knows what they're doing. Getting guys like Dixon and Judon and Henry in the 4th and 5th. Correa in the 2nd. They've had a great draft.

we always love the 'other teams' draft

All fans do.

Grass is always greener

WE did very well.

9 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

If he was bigger and had no injury history he wouldn't have been available in the late 4th round.....I am on the fence on this one but hope he brings it when he hits the field?

Trust me he's a good player