Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After Sleeping on it...

IndyD4U

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Not saying it was his fault, probably coaching, but you could say he was directly involved in three plays that cost Clemson the game.  

My Bama buds down here love him.  For all the wrong reasons.  

Who knows, like that one at 7:12, looks like he was the corners responsibility, but a safety should never let a guy run right by him. 

2 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

After sleeping on it I want to sit in a corner and cry. I mean maybe TJ Green ends up being a really good pick, but I just don't see it at all. What I see is a big, fast, athlete. Not a football player. Remember there's a lot of athletes in the NFL who are pretty bad players. You cant tell me tht Green was a better pick than Whitehair, Fackrell, Calhoun, etc. Now lets at least see if we cant get some of the studs left with our 4th. Billings, Ridgeway, etc. Heck I'd take another offensive lineman if Westerman's there when we pick.

Remember, this is a guy that has size, speed, and little else (instincts, etc...) right now.  His Sr. year was his first as a full time starting safety, and in some coverage schemes it showed.  Without question Pagano must see everything he can't teach already loaded into the guy.  He also sees the guy has an extra advantage on others once he learns the skills of being an NFL safety.  There's no pressure for him to start, just like there was no pressure on Geathers last year.  If our coaching staff doesn'rt develop these guys, it is on their resume' as they get their walking papers.  But if they can teach these kids how to be great... well... the sky is the limit then.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After sleeping on it I have to admit I am very perplexed with rounds 2 and 3.  Drafting at that position we should have been able to find a starter in round 2.  Whitehair was there before the trade. If we hadn't traded so far back he would have been there again.  Not to mention other players being available.  Especially after coach talking about the importance of continuity in the OL.  Using Whitehair a an example our line could have been set for a decade.   I believe Gaethers was a 4th. round pick and it took him a year to start.  It looks like we are doing it again with our 2nd. pick.  I hope Clark is the surprise and is able claim a starting spot in camp.  We have an extra preseason game to find out.  If he does than I would say we did we great job.  I am all for developing players but drafting where we are I was hoping for at least one more starter like Mewhort in Rd.2.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

After sleeping on it I have to admit I am very perplexed with rounds 2 and 3.  Drafting at that position we should have been able to find a starter in round 2.  Whitehair was there before the trade. If we hadn't traded so far back he would have been there again.  Not to mention other players being available.  Especially after coach talking about the importance of continuity in the OL.  Using Whitehair a an example our line could have been set for a decade.   I believe Gaethers was a 4th. round pick and it took him a year to start.  It looks like we are doing it again with our 2nd. pick.  I hope Clark is the surprise and is able claim a starting spot in camp.  We have an extra preseason game to find out.  If he does than I would say we did we great job.  I am all for developing players but drafting where we are I was hoping for at least one more starter like Mewhort in Rd.2.

Clark is Mike Adams heir apparent.  Adams will play, as will Geathers.  Clark will learn and the take over next year for Adams, I would believe.

Grigson and Pagano were almost smug about the pick. They were smirking, and explaining how they were ready to take him in round 2, bit had an offer to trade down and get extra picks.  The took the trade and 'waited' was their term, and still got their guy anyway.  They knew either he would make down to them even after the trade, or knew there were enough guys on the board they really liked even if Clark was nabbed by another team. Otherwise, the GM doesn't make the trade.  Pagano said there was one standing on a chair yelling to not trade and just take him.  But the trade and 'still got their guy;.  That's talent/luck.

As far as OL, we ended up with plenty of talent and it will vbe interesting n camp who wins starting jobs.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I watched the Bama "highlights".  I didn't see one play that made me say Wow.  He looked like an average S.  People were saying he was all over the field.  Well, that's the responsibility.  The only play that impressed me was on the Bama KO return TD where he held his lane and ALMOST ran down Drake before he scored.

To be clear, I'm not saying he's not talented.  It was only one game.  I'm just saying that I didn't see anything that would make me want him in the 2nd.  He may turn out to be the next Bob Sanders.

I'm gonna say this once and then I'm done on this subject: I hope to god that Pagano scouted this guy himself because I watched 2 games- Alabama and Louisville plus his "highlight" video and saw nothing exciting about this guy's game. As far as being the next Bob Sanders? He has light years to go before he can even hold Sander's jock. I saw nothing Bob Sanders like in this guys game in those videos I saw. Bob Sanders was much much more than a guy who could run fast. As you know, he hit like a hammer, he could play the pass as well as any safety. I just hope there is something I'm missing but like someone else pointed out: 1 int in two seasons and 3 passes defenses? ugh

8 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I'm gonna say this once and then I'm done on this subject: I hope to god that Pagano scouted this guy himself because I watched 2 games- Alabama and Louisville plus his "highlight" video and saw nothing exciting about this guy's game. As far as being the next Bob Sanders? He has light years to go before he can even hold Sander's jock. I saw nothing Bob Sanders like in this guys game in those videos I saw. Bob Sanders was much much more than a guy who could run fast. As you know, he hit like a hammer, he could play the pass as well as any safety. I just hope there is something I'm missing but like someone else pointed out: 1 int in two seasons and 3 passes defenses? ugh

If you read my post, I agreed with you.  I'd love to know which tape they were watching to get that excited about him. I hope to heck it wasn't because of his measuables.  

At at least last year with D'Joun, I could see why they took him.  I'm shaking my head over Green.

26 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If you read my post, I agreed with you.  I'd love to know which tape they were watching to get that excited about him. I hope to heck it wasn't because of his measuables.  

At at least last year with D'Joun, I could see why they took him.  I'm shaking my head over Green.

Ya I knew you agreed with me. I just had to rant one more time and be done :thmup:

41 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

People need to get off the Bob Sanders crap. Yes he was a great player but he was also likely juiced all the time and his body fell apart. If Bob had to cover Gronk he would get swatted aside like an annoying gnat and Gronk would catch pass after pass on him every play. It's a different NFL for these safeties and they have to be able to help on these huge Wrs and cover these giant TEs. Green could bust out sure but if he works out there literally will be like no one to compare him too except maybe Kam chancellor. At this point the bob sanders legend is just a joke around here....like the chuck Norris stuff on the Internet. We should appreciate we've had a lot of good safety play past several years including Bethea and Adams. The flash in the pan that was Sanders was great....but let's not forget why he was that....the steroids had a huge effect on his game...and also ended his career early. I'm not hoping for another one of those. Flame shield on!

12 hours ago, 12to13 said:

Should have picked Myles jack in the first, Nick Martin in the second, and green/Clark in the third

You wanted to pick a guy who told people he is probably going to need microfracture surgery?  I wouldn't have taken him in the 2nd.

6 hours ago, dgambill said:

People need to get off the Bob Sanders crap. Yes he was a great player but he was also likely juiced all the time and his body fell apart. If Bob had to cover Gronk he would get swatted aside like an annoying gnat and Gronk would catch pass after pass on him every play. It's a different NFL for these safeties and they have to be able to help on these huge Wrs and cover these giant TEs. Green could bust out sure but if he works out there literally will be like no one to compare him too except maybe Kam chancellor. At this point the bob sanders legend is just a joke around here....like the chuck Norris stuff on the Internet. We should appreciate we've had a lot of good safety play past several years including Bethea and Adams. The flash in the pan that was Sanders was great....but let's not forget why he was that....the steroids had a huge effect on his game...and also ended his career early. I'm not hoping for another one of those. Flame shield on!

It cracks me up when people say stuff like this. There's literally no evidence that Bob Sanders ever used steroids. Maybe he did. You say it as if it's undeniable, indisputable fact. 

15 hours ago, 12to13 said:

Should have picked Myles jack in the first, Nick Martin in the second, and green/Clark in the third

Myles Jack was passed in the first round by every team.

And he wasn't even the first player taken in the 2nd round.

What?         Does?        That?       Tell?       You?!?

You might want to stop and think about it.....

Grigson and co. hit a lot of major areas and I feel a lot more confident about our depth in a lot more areas. We still need a pass rusher and I'm still not sold on our middle linebackers, but I feel a lot better about the offensive line heading into the season.

Kind of think we could use another TE. Unless Eric Swoope can make that next step.

9 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Myles Jack was passed in the first round by every team.

And he wasn't even the first player taken in the 2nd round.

What?         Does?        That?       Tell?       You?!?

You might want to stop and think about it.....

Means they didn't want to take the risk. But we took a risk taking green in the 2nd. But it's cool, I'm not mad at all. I liked our draft. I just liked jack too, hope that's fine lol.

7 hours ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Grigson and co. hit a lot of major areas and I feel a lot more confident about our depth in a lot more areas. We still need a pass rusher and I'm still not sold on our middle linebackers, but I feel a lot better about the offensive line heading into the season.

Kind of think we could use another TE. Unless Eric Swoope can make that next step.

I'm excited about Sio Moore 

On 4/30/2016 at 7:17 AM, 12to13 said:

I don't see Nick Martin as an acceptable substitute for Ryan Kelly. I think Kelly is that much better.

Would have loved Myles Jack, though... If we had given up a future 1st to get to the top of the 2nd, I would have found a way to be okay with it, I'm sure. But that knee is going to be a problem in a couple years, I'm almost certain.

20 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't see Nick Martin as an acceptable substitute for Ryan Kelly. I think Kelly is that much better.

Would have loved Myles Jack, though... If we had given up a future 1st to get to the top of the 2nd, I would have found a way to be okay with it, I'm sure. But that knee is going to be a problem in a couple years, I'm almost certain.

^ ^ ^ quoted in agreement   ^ ^ ^

Jack should be awesome, only for as long as his knee will endure though.

20 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I want to like Green I really do! But after watching tape on him and even his highlights I don't see anything either. 

My Clemson friends can't understand why he was taken so early. And that's saying something as they usually talk every Clemson player up. 

With his size and speed I think he has potential but Pagano has work to do. 

It's a good draft for what their strategy was, which was to finally fix the OL.  Of course when you do that you are passing up the premiere pass-rush guys so you can only do one at a time really.  So they look to have hopefully fixed the OL and they stuck to their guns.  I'm fine with that.  Next year they can address the defense heavily.  OK draft by me as they addressed their MOST PRESSING need IMHO.  

Clark was a really good size/athleticism pick, but he really needs a year in a pro system before contributing at OT.  That Texas Tech system was as screwy as Washington St.'s.  He wasn't doing anything close to what he'll be doing in the pros.  I say he should just spend his rookie year backing up Costanzo, and he'll be ready to compete at tackle next year.  Haeg, on the other hand, is very pro ready, and could compete immediately at multiple positions.

22 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Clark is Mike Adams heir apparent.  Adams will play, as will Geathers.  Clark will learn and the take over next year for Adams, I would believe.

Grigson and Pagano were almost smug about the pick. They were smirking, and explaining how they were ready to take him in round 2, bit had an offer to trade down and get extra picks.  The took the trade and 'waited' was their term, and still got their guy anyway.  They knew either he would make down to them even after the trade, or knew there were enough guys on the board they really liked even if Clark was nabbed by another team. Otherwise, the GM doesn't make the trade.  Pagano said there was one standing on a chair yelling to not trade and just take him.  But the trade and 'still got their guy;.  That's talent/luck.

As far as OL, we ended up with plenty of talent and it will vbe interesting n camp who wins starting jobs.

Not to be nit picking here,  but I think you meant GREEN and not CLARK as the heir apparent for Adams.

Otherwise,  we'll be putting a 315 pounder back at Safety. 

I mean,   talk about your jumbo safety?!?!?        

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I am happy we have Kelly, I think he'll be great. And I would have loved to trade up to get jack.. But yeah who knows what's gonna happen with his knee..

I reallly like green, just hope he isn't a project. 

On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:11 AM, IndyD4U said:

I am even more excited about our picks than I was last night. I'll say it, this is the best first three round draft by Grigson. We got out starting center which has been a glaring hole on this O-line since Jeff Saturday retired. Not just a starting center, the best center to enter the draft in recent years!

We got a tremendously athletic safety, while still being very raw, has metrics that are off the chart. Give him a year under Adams and some coaching up and you all will be surprised. Green was a projected late 1st round pick - early second, so I feel we got good value. Don't be surprised if he see's some mid-late season action besides being a gunner on ST.

And Finally, perhaps the most exciting pick, La'Raven Clark! This guy is a starter right out the door. I think we use him at RG, but I could see an instance where we let Good/Reitz/Clark battle it out for RT. He's nasty on the football field and brings tenacity! He needs to get stronger up top, but that will come with time. He was also a projected late first/second round pick by many.

AC Mewhort Kelly Clark Good/Reitz is going to be our Oline. I think we can already see Philbin's impact on this team

Now bring on all the negative Nancy's :rock:

Philbin might be our best off-season acquisition in years.  He has seen everything, coached everything, and has had to deal with unwanted drama, heartache, owners, GM's, & players who were the good, the bad, and the really, really ugly.  This is probably a dream job for him.  Welcome to Indy and the free ice-cream is on me.

50 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not to be nit picking here,  but I think you meant GREEN and not CLARK as the heir apparent for Adams.

Otherwise,  we'll be putting a 315 pounder back at Safety. 

I mean,   talk about your jumbo safety?!?!?        

LOL, I was taking a page out of Rex Ryans playbook... we're gonna' put Kong on him! (Gronk!)  :monkeydance:

Actually, yes, Green, not Clark. Green is Adam heir apparent, as is Morrison to D'Qwell Jackson.

Thanks....

I don't like the idea of using a 2nd round pick on a project player, even one as athletic as Green.  

I can see the idea of going after Shaq Lawson in the 1st and Nick Martin in the 2nd.  But while Nick Martin would hold his own, Ryan Kelly looks like he has the potential to really blow open holes in the running game.  

If we're trying to give Andrew Luck a run game to take some of the pressure off of him, then Ryan Kelly is a huge step forward in that direction.  

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:43 PM, Superman said:

It cracks me up when people say stuff like this. There's literally no evidence that Bob Sanders ever used steroids. Maybe he did. You say it as if it's undeniable, indisputable fact. 

That's fine. I know it isn't popular. We have no evidence Tom Brady was aware the staff was deflating footballs either but we all still believe it. I probably should use some qualifiers in my statement but even that said I'm just not that sold that Bob Sanders is this legendary figure. I guess I just assumed people thought the way I did because its so widely believed among other fan bases and even on the Iowa fan boards that he was using. He did have a couple great seasons for us but overall I'd rather have someone like Bethea or Adams who has been consistently good for a long period. When people get all caught up in the Sanders thing I think they miss out on the fact we have had some pretty good safety play here....with the exception of Laron....who funny enough reminded EVERYONE (*ok..again I should say many) of none other than Bob Sanders. Thus I think this kid from Clemson should be afforded some time to develop....he won't be our next Bob Sanders but he has the potential to be something just as special.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

That's fine. I know it isn't popular. We have no evidence Tom Brady was aware the staff was deflating footballs either but we all still believe it. I probably should use some qualifiers in my statement but even that said I'm just not that sold that Bob Sanders is this legendary figure. I guess I just assumed people thought the way I did because its so widely believed among other fan bases and even on the Iowa fan boards that he was using. He did have a couple great seasons for us but overall I'd rather have someone like Bethea or Adams who has been consistently good for a long period. When people get all caught up in the Sanders thing I think they miss out on the fact we have had some pretty good safety play here....with the exception of Laron....who funny enough reminded EVERYONE (*ok..again I should say many) of none other than Bob Sanders. Thus I think this kid from Clemson should be afforded some time to develop....he won't be our next Bob Sanders but he has the potential to be something just as special.

In some ways perception has become reality. But for a guy who never tested for PEDs and was never linked to them in any significant way, it's a bit much to say definitively that he was using. 

I don't know why we'd compare him to Landry, who had a different build and tested positive multiple times.

And Brady was investigated and suspended by the league. Again, several steps past anything that involved Sanders.

Maybe the legend of Sanders is outsized now, but he was obviously a great player, and most of us feel robbed that he didn't last. 

54 minutes ago, Superman said:

In some ways perception has become reality. But for a guy who never tested for PEDs and was never linked to them in any significant way, it's a bit much to say definitively that he was using. 

I don't know why we'd compare him to Landry, who had a different build and tested positive multiple times.

And Brady was investigated and suspended by the league. Again, several steps past anything that involved Sanders.

Maybe the legend of Sanders is outsized now, but he was obviously a great player, and most of us feel robbed that he didn't last. 

To the bolded, take a trip over to Dustin's write-up on Green.  That's probably where it started, at least on these forums.  I didn't necessarily get the comparison, either.  

7 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

LOL, I was taking a page out of Rex Ryans playbook... we're gonna' put Kong on him! (Gronk!)  :monkeydance:

Actually, yes, Green, not Clark. Green is Adam heir apparent, as is Morrison to D'Qwell Jackson.

Thanks....

I think the staff sees Morrison as Freeman's replacement,  but I could be wrong on that.....

28 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

To the bolded, take a trip over to Dustin's write-up on Green.  That's probably where it started, at least on these forums.  I didn't necessarily get the comparison, either.  

I meant Sanders to Landry...

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

Maybe as a body, not as the type of player.

I'm not sure why you'd say that......?

Take a look at the Day 3 press conference....

Find where Grigson and Pagano are talking about Morrison.       If you do,  tell me what you think...    I'd love to get your impressions.....

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Find where Grigson and Pagano are talking about Morrison.       If you do,  tell me what you think...    I'd love to get your impressions.....

I sure will be glad where something starts happening so all this nonsense can be done away with. The off season sucks! lol

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Scouting report. 

Morrison1_zpsrd1ckdmx.jpg

Morrison2_zpsscumzkr0.jpg

I especially direct your attention to the first sentence in the summary of football ability.

"Summary of Football Ability-

This player reminds me of D’Qwell Jackson. A tough, physical player whose aggressive style makes him a candidate as a two-down ILB... "

If I get a chance to find and listen to it I will.  However, anything Grigson and Pagano state I take with a grain of salt. Too many time last year where they weren't fully forthright or accurate in their reporting.