Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

After Sleeping on it...

IndyD4U

I am even more excited about our picks than I was last night. I'll say it, this is the best first three round draft by Grigson. We got out starting center which has been a glaring hole on this O-line since Jeff Saturday retired. Not just a starting center, the best center to enter the draft in recent years!

We got a tremendously athletic safety, while still being very raw, has metrics that are off the chart. Give him a year under Adams and some coaching up and you all will be surprised. Green was a projected late 1st round pick - early second, so I feel we got good value. Don't be surprised if he see's some mid-late season action besides being a gunner on ST.

And Finally, perhaps the most exciting pick, La'Raven Clark! This guy is a starter right out the door. I think we use him at RG, but I could see an instance where we let Good/Reitz/Clark battle it out for RT. He's nasty on the football field and brings tenacity! He needs to get stronger up top, but that will come with time. He was also a projected late first/second round pick by many.

AC Mewhort Kelly Clark Good/Reitz is going to be our Oline. I think we can already see Philbin's impact on this team

Now bring on all the negative Nancy's :rock:

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to be a Nancy, but just to provide another opinion, I'm not ecstatic.

First, I can't see Clark at G.  His skill set is outside pass defense.  I'm no expert at judging OTs, so someone set me straight.  In his highlights, does it look like he's holding on every play?  They do a lot of that in college, he has to clean it up in the pros.  

I don't know what to make of Green.  ST player now, project starter?  Is that what we want from a #2?

Not to keep harping on it, but we could have had Reed, a day one starter.  Maybe Frackell or Hargraves at 3.  

Those two extra pcks better "knock it out of the park".  

46 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

First, I can't see Clark at G.  His skill set is outside pass defense.  I'm no expert at judging OTs, so someone set me straight.  In his highlights, does it look like he's holding on every play?  They do a lot of that in college, he has to clean it up in the pros.  

I don't know what to make of Green.  ST player now, project starter?  Is that what we want from a #2?

Not to keep harping on it, but we could have had Reed, a day one starter.  Maybe Frackell or Hargraves at 3.  

They were reportedly targeting Green in the 2nd anyway so the outcome of the extra picks shouldn't hold any extra weight, right?

6 minutes ago, Everyone said:

They were reportedly targeting Green in the 2nd anyway so the outcome of the extra picks shouldn't hold any extra weight, right?

If you can believe they had Green higher on their board than Reed, then that's true.

I've seen both Reed and Green play.  There's no doubt that Reed is much more ready to start and be a solid player.  So they're saying that Green has better upside in the future?

I really hope they're right.  He better make some huge improvements over what he showed in the NC game.

52 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Incredible upside, just needs to be coached a little.  I hope he becomes the RT bookend, to Castonzo at LT.  Kelly in the center, Mewhort to his left.  Then maybe Thornton can realize his full potential at RG (or add one from the draft) and we have the awesome line for Lucks career we all hoped for.

52 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

TJ doesn't have to start this year.  Gives the coaches time to develop his skills.  You ca not coach 6'2+" and 4.34 speed in the 40.  You can take an ex WR and develop a top flight safety out of him, in time.  I like the chance Pagano/Grigs is taking here.

And two extra picks... you just never know when that late bloomer that ends up a pro-bowler lands on your roster as a late round 'extra' pick.  :-)

Just now, ColtsBlueFL said:

Incredible upside, just needs to be coached a little.  I hope he becomes the RT bookend, to Castonzo at LT.  Kelly in the center, Mewhort to his left.  Then maybe Thornton can realize his full potential at RG (or add one from the draft) and we have the awesome line for Lucks career we all hoped for.

TJ doesn't have to start this year.  Gives the coaches time to develop his skills.  You ca not coach 6'2+" and 4.34 speed in the 40.  You can take an ex WR and develop a top flight safety out of him, in time.  I like the chance Pagano/Grigs is taking here.

And two extra picks... you just never know when that late bloomer that ends up a pro-bowler lands on your roster as a late round 'extra' pick.  :-)

I like your glass ... full attitude. I may be more bummed that our AFC South mates seemed to make immediate improvements to their teams.  While we took project players on Friday.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I agree...listening to pags and grigs press, they're very excited about his potential at safety..i admit that i was confused about the pick myself, but seeing how confident they are in his potential and his skill set, i believe he can become a solid safety in this league..

17 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I like your glass ... full attitude. I may be more bummed that our AFC South mates seemed to make immediate improvements to their teams.  While we took project players on Friday.

I see your side... I do.  But put on a different set of glasses for a moment.  The other teams, you pretty much know what they got, if it pans out. No surprises unless they fail.  And they have heavy advantage in draft selection position.  They are th chain restaurant.  You know what you will get from the moment you go in.

So we get talented guys, but they are not developed but have the items you can not coach.  And they have demonstrated flashes from that great talent. The upside is incredibly high, but needs work, it seems.  It's like the non-chain restaurant that looks like a dive on the outside, but once you go in, you find the most incredible meals that totally exceeded your expectations.  Then come to find out that a critic has now labelled it best restaurant in the tri-state area.  :-)

Certainly, we will find out just how good of a coaching staff we have in how they handle all or our young talent on the roster.  I'm optimistic.

32 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I see your side... I do.  But put on a different set of glasses for a moment.  The other teams, you pretty much know what they got, if it pans out. No surprises unless they fail.  And they have heavy advantage in draft selection position.  They are th chain restaurant.  You know what you will get from the moment you go in.

So we get talented guys, but they are not developed but have the items you can not coach.  And they have demonstrated flashes from that great talent. The upside is incredibly high, but needs work, it seems.  It's like the non-chain restaurant that looks like a dive on the outside, but once you go in, you find the most incredible meals that totally exceeded your expectations.  Then come to find out that a critic has now labelled it best restaurant in the tri-state area.  :-)

Certainly, we will find out just how good of a coaching staff we have in how they handle all or our young talent on the roster.  I'm optimistic.

You had me feeling better until I watched this:

DON'T WATCH THIS!!!!  DON'T WATCH THIS!!!

13 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

You can watch as long as you close your eyes at the 4:48 and 7:12 marks. :ninja:

Not saying it was his fault, probably coaching, but you could say he was directly involved in three plays that cost Clemson the game.  

My Bama buds down here love him.  For all the wrong reasons.  

After sleeping on it I want to sit in a corner and cry. I mean maybe TJ Green ends up being a really good pick, but I just don't see it at all. What I see is a big, fast, athlete. Not a football player. Remember there's a lot of athletes in the NFL who are pretty bad players. You cant tell me tht Green was a better pick than Whitehair, Fackrell, Calhoun, etc. Now lets at least see if we cant get some of the studs left with our 4th. Billings, Ridgeway, etc. Heck I'd take another offensive lineman if Westerman's there when we pick.

9 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

After sleeping on it I want to sit in a corner and cry. I mean maybe TJ Green ends up being a really good pick, but I just don't see it at all. What I see is a big, fast, athlete. Not a football player. Remember there's a lot of athletes in the NFL who are pretty bad players. You cant tell me tht Green was a better pick than Whitehair, Fackrell, Calhoun, etc. Now lets at least see if we cant get some of the studs left with our 4th. Billings, Ridgeway, etc. Heck I'd take another offensive lineman if Westerman's there when we pick.

Not to mention Grigsons record with "project" guys isn't good

I'm ok with the Clark pick but I would have rather had a pass rusher in the 2nd.  I think this is a greater need.

We got rid of Newsome and the jury is out on whether or not Mathis can return to form.  Well, we have Trent Cole.  :grumpy2:  Hopefully, he can improve this year.

As for Green, I think I see the rationale, since Adams isn't getting younger.  I thought we would have taken a safety next year for that, though.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

To the bolded....hey, you try carrying 12" hands around without holding!:D

47 minutes ago, Mr Clueless said:

You can watch as long as you close your eyes at the 4:48 and 7:12 marks. :ninja:

I just watched the Louisville game too. I heard someone say last night Bob Sanders in the same sentence as Green. As a huge Iowa fan and an even bigger Bob Sanders fan I'm offended! Get real

7 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

His best "highlights" are running people down from behind. Several times becuase he himself was burned. That was from his "highlight" video.:facepalm:

This pick is one of Grigson's "smartest guy in the room" stuff that usually doesn't work.  If it works, I will gladly be proven wrong, but I am not expecting it.  The Clark pick was solid, although he isn't NFL ready, if they had stayed with the original 2nd round pick they could have got Whitehair/Spriggs that are ready to go.  I will say that moving down made sense to the extent that the pass rushers that fit their system were gone and they might as well wait until this round.   Hopefully they can get Billings, and/or Scooby Wright this round.   

Lots of safeties have been touted on this board and he wasn`t one of them.
He looks passionate out there. Lets hope he learns well.

Our o-line is headed in the right direction now. Ten :thmup: on that. Hey it`s year 5. What a wait!

We really needed another 4th so great job. Hope we make another move to get our guy!

11 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

His best "highlights" are running people down from behind. Several times becuase he himself was burned. That was from his "highlight" video.:facepalm:

I watched the Bama "highlights".  I didn't see one play that made me say Wow.  He looked like an average S.  People were saying he was all over the field.  Well, that's the responsibility.  The only play that impressed me was on the Bama KO return TD where he held his lane and ALMOST ran down Drake before he scored.

To be clear, I'm not saying he's not talented.  It was only one game.  I'm just saying that I didn't see anything that would make me want him in the 2nd.  He may turn out to be the next Bob Sanders.

3 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

I am even more excited about our picks than I was last night. I'll say it, this is the best first three round draft by Grigson. We got out starting center which has been a glaring hole on this O-line since Jeff Saturday retired. Not just a starting center, the best center to enter the draft in recent years!

We got a tremendously athletic safety, while still being very raw, has metrics that are off the chart. Give him a year under Adams and some coaching up and you all will be surprised. Green was a projected late 1st round pick - early second, so I feel we got good value. Don't be surprised if he see's some mid-late season action besides being a gunner on ST.

And Finally, perhaps the most exciting pick, La'Raven Clark! This guy is a starter right out the door. I think we use him at RG, but I could see an instance where we let Good/Reitz/Clark battle it out for RT. He's nasty on the football field and brings tenacity! He needs to get stronger up top, but that will come with time. He was also a projected late first/second round pick by many.

AC Mewhort Kelly Clark Good/Reitz is going to be our Oline. I think we can already see Philbin's impact on this team

They all had 1st round grades on them we got the 4th ranked tackle in the 3rd which means he would be like the 2nd best guard

3 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Best three round draft for Grigson? Ridiculous. His first draft was infinitely better. Luck alone makes first draft much better and he followed up with excellent players in second and third round. This year is likely his second best which isn't saying much. Love getting the center and tackle, but the safety looks like mostly a workout warrior.

I'm very excited with this draft class

Oline has bin a need since 2007 

Lt- constanzo/reitz 

Lg- mewhort/Holmes 

C- kelly/Holmes 

Rg-thorton/clark

Rt- goode/reitz

Then clark take over next yr or after the bye week 

Green sits behind Adam and play the nickel safety slot if we keep him ato safety etc.... the. He takes over for adams next yr 

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

If you can believe they had Green higher on their board than Reed, then that's true.

I've seen both Reed and Green play.  There's no doubt that Reed is much more ready to start and be a solid player.  So they're saying that Green has better upside in the future?

I really hope they're right.  He better make some huge improvements over what he showed in the NC game.

I wanted Reed. The Ridgeway pick eases the pain a little bit. Ridgeway has Malik Jackson potential.

29 minutes ago, azcolt said:

Best three round draft for Grigson? Ridiculous. His first draft was infinitely better. Luck alone makes first draft much better and he followed up with excellent players in second and third round. This year is likely his second best which isn't saying much. Love getting the center and tackle, but the safety looks like mostly a workout warrior.

I think we'll benefit more from Green/Clark than we did with Fleener/Allen. The fact Clark gives you a 10 year starting lineman already tops the '12 draft as far as rounds 2-3 go...

btw, Excellent 4th rd pick too :)

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wanted Reed. The Ridgeway pick eases the pain a little bit. Ridgeway has Malik Jackson potential.

Me too.  The knock on Ridgeway is durability.   We rotate often, that should help.

Great pick (I hope).

51 minutes ago, Corndog said:

This pick is one of Grigson's "smartest guy in the room" stuff that usually doesn't work.  If it works, I will gladly be proven wrong, but I am not expecting it.  The Clark pick was solid, although he isn't NFL ready, if they had stayed with the original 2nd round pick they could have got Whitehair/Spriggs that are ready to go.  I will say that moving down made sense to the extent that the pass rushers that fit their system were gone and they might as well wait until this round.   Hopefully they can get Billings, and/or Scooby Wright this round.   

Everything I've read suggests that Green is a guy that Pagano really likes.

4 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Geathers is a true SS, whereas Green has FS potential.  I think Green will be Geathers 2.0 (except the FS version).  He should be an immediate impact player on STs, he has ability to play the slot (which is where we used Geathers at times last year), and I think in year 2, he will become a starter.  I expect he and Geathers to be a pretty dynamic safety duo for years to come. 

Pagano does very well working with most DBs -- sure, Green is raw, but so was Geathers.  Not that Geathers has proven himself yet, but I am very optimistic that we made the right decision in allowing Lowery to walk to open the door for Geathers.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Not saying it was his fault, probably coaching, but you could say he was directly involved in three plays that cost Clemson the game.  

My Bama buds down here love him.  For all the wrong reasons.  

At 4:48 and 7:12, it looks like it was for sure coaching/scheme that caused those plays.  The one long Henry TD run, he got eaten up by a blocker because he chose a bad place to attack the line, but otherwise, I thought he looked pretty good.  For someone who is touted as an 'unwilling' tackler, he made a few tackles by himself.

Alabama is also the best team, and best coached team, in college football.  There is quite a bit more parity when you get to the NFL.

2 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

Geathers is a true SS, whereas Green has FS potential.  I think Green will be Geathers 2.0 (except the FS version).  He should be an immediate impact player on STs, he has ability to play the slot (which is where we used Geathers at times last year), and I think in year 2, he will become a starter.  I expect he and Geathers to be a pretty dynamic safety duo for years to come. 

Pagano does very well working with most DBs -- sure, Green is raw, but so was Geathers.  Not that Geathers has proven himself yet, but I am very optimistic that we made the right decision in allowing Lowery to walk to open the door for Geathers.

At 4:48 and 7:12, it looks like it was for sure coaching/scheme that caused those plays.  The one long Henry TD run, he got eaten up by a blocker because he chose a bad place to attack the line, but otherwise, I thought he looked pretty good.  For someone who is touted as an 'unwilling' tackler, he made a few tackles by himself.

Alabama is also the best team, and best coached team, in college football.  There is quite a bit more parity when you get to the NFL.

I was was with you until that last paragraph.  Not saying you're wrong, but I'm still hurting that my Buckeyes didn't win it all again.   We certainly had a better team. 

Living in Bama, paying tuition for a kid going to school there, I get no sympathy.  

I really hope Green works out and the sting of not taking Reed is lessened a bit now with Ridgeway.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I was was with you until that last paragraph.  Not saying you're wrong, but I'm still hurting that my Buckeyes didn't win it all again.   We certainly had a better team. 

Living in Bama, paying tuition for a kid going to school there, I get no sympathy.  

I really hope Green works out and the sting of not taking Reed is lessened a bit now with Ridgeway.

True, OSU may have been more talented last year -- but I don't think that there is a better college coach than Saban.

Maybe what I should have said was "Alabama is a better coached and more talented team all-around than Clemson was....' (my basis for Alabama being a more talented all-around team is based on both opinion and the fact 'Bama has 7 players drafted in first 3 rounds, compared to 3 from Clemson -- my basis for Saban being best coach, or at least a better coach than Swinney, is personal opinion mixed with the fact he has won 4 national titles in the past 7 years and 5 overall, compared to 0 titles ever for Swinney).