Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kiper likes what the Colts have done thru two days...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2635020-tj-green-nfl-draft-2016-scouting-report-grade-for-colts-rookie

so does BR's Cris Simm's...giving both an A+

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AND NFL Network:

Indianapolis Colts 
Draft picks: Ryan Kelly (No. 18 overall), T.J. Green (No. 57 overall), Le'Raven Clark (No. 82 overall) 
Day 1 grade: A 
Day 2 grade: A 
Overall grade: A 
The skinny: Ryan Kelly will be a stud in the middle, and protecting Andrew Luck became truly important after he missed time last season. The Colts required help in the secondary and Green is a versatile, hard-charging defender worth a late second round pick. Clark brings some nasty to the offensive line.

15 minutes ago, twfish said:

Even though our second pick was a defensive player and last year was a huge defensive draft????

It still needs a lot of help.  We really don't know what the colts have with any of those picks besides Anderson.

22 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Did you just start following the colts in the 3rd round?

If that was suppose to be a jab, try harder. What defensive player have we drafted in the past 5 years that's the TRUTH and still on the team? Don't worry I'll wait...Parry and Anderson gone be straight but still got work to do.

~Colts fan for 18 years~

20 minutes ago, BOTT said:

It still needs a lot of help.  We really don't know what the colts have with any of those picks besides Anderson.

I definitely won't argue it needs more help. Safety was a relative need for us at defense. Still could use a olb corner rb nt ilb te in that order personally.  But with 2 of 3 picks being o-line and 1 being a safety, I just don't understand his frustration.

Shaking my head at anyone saying we're ignoring defense. We drafted a WR in the first round last year which was a big deal because we needed to address defense and offensive line. Would anyone care to list the positions we've drafted from 2015 round two through 2016 round 3?

Anyone? Anyone? Buellor?

12 minutes ago, twfish said:

I definitely won't argue it needs more help. Safety was a relative need for us at defense. Still could use a olb corner rb nt ilb te in that order personally.  But with 2 of 3 picks being o-line and 1 being a safety, I just don't understand his frustration.

It probably comes from the feeling the colts have kind of kicked the can on defensive help since Luck got here. They kinda do, but I can't argue with upgrading the OL.

16 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

Shaking my head at anyone saying we're ignoring defense. We drafted a WR in the first round last year which was a big deal because we needed to address defense and offensive line. Would anyone care to list the positions we've drafted from 2015 round two through 2016 round 3?

Anyone? Anyone? Buellor?

well, when you spend a 1st on a WR, trade a first for a RB, and totally bust with Werner, I'm sure you can understand some frustration.  Yes, there are other rounds, but most game changing defensive players come in the first.

im not complaining about this draft, but I don't think the colts have done a good job aquiring defensive talent since Luck's arrival.

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

well, when you spend a 1st on a WR, trade a first for a RB, and totally bust with Werner, I'm sure you can understand some frustration.  Yes, there are other rounds, but most game changing defensive players come in the first.

im not complaining about this draft, but I don't think the colts have done a good job aquiring defensive talent since Luck's arrival.

Oh, since 2012 our first round record is awful. I won't argue that. I wasn't trying to say anything about our first round picks (though Werner was seen as top 10-15 talent that year, and Richardson was a #3 overall pick that just happened to be the biggest bust this side of JaMarcus Russell).

I understand the frustration, I have it too. But since before the 2015 NFL draft, all everyone has wanted is offensive line and defense. That's what the organization has been drafting. I don't know how anyone can say that either are being flat out ignored. I would have loved to have a dominant pass rusher too, but it didn't work out that way.

46 minutes ago, Mr_486lo said:

If that was suppose to be a jab, try harder. What defensive player have we drafted in the past 5 years that's the TRUTH and still on the team? Don't worry I'll wait...Parry and Anderson gone be straight but still got work to do.

~Colts fan for 18 years~

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/draft.htm

2012 - 2/10 defense

2013 - 3/7 defense

2014 - 2/5 defense

2015 - 5/8 defense

2016 - 1/3 defense - Incomplete

2012-2015 - 12/30 defense

I honestly don't know what you're confused about.

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

But so does our OL. If ignoring" the defense results in two new starters on our OL and Luck staying upright while starting 16 regular season games this year, then I'm all for "ignoring the defense."

7 hours ago, MasterCrief said:

But so does our OL. If ignoring" the defense results in two new starters on our OL and Luck staying upright while starting 16 regular season games this year, then I'm all for "ignoring the defense."

I said similar up above

10 hours ago, CR91 said:

guys we'll be fine. if we can get wright and judon in the fourth, we handled our pass rush problem. those two can get after the QB. Wright can also play inside

That's extremely optimistic.

13 hours ago, BOTT said:

I understand the werner bust and the RB trade, but what was wrong with spending a 1st on WR?

5 hours ago, myic90 said:

I understand the werner bust and the RB trade, but what was wrong with spending a 1st on WR?

I just don't value the position, but that's just my opinion.  Plus the colts already had Hilton and Moncrief.  If you want to build the kind of team that Grigson and pagano talked about upon their arrival in Indy I don't think you do that by drafting 5'10 receivers in the first.

4 hours ago, BlueCollarColts said:

Knowing how much of a bust Andre Johnson was spending a first on a WR isn't looking too bad now.

Oh boy, we can once again brag about having a great receiving corps.  I have been saying teams should be built inside out for years.  I'm not changing that opinion just because I love the colts.

I'd love a few pro-bowl defensive players too.

But you know what? For right now, with having an Andrew Luck and a leaky OL?

The best defense is a great offense. 

We can get defenders as we move forward.

18 hours ago, BOTT said:

I just don't value the position, but that's just my opinion.  Plus the colts already had Hilton and Moncrief.  If you want to build the kind of team that Grigson and pagano talked about upon their arrival in Indy I don't think you do that by drafting 5'10 receivers in the first.

If dorsett is a game breaker like we believe he could be, I'd have no issues with it at all. The draft is about adding talent to the team at all levels.

I don't get this running joke and narrative that Grigson keeps drafting receivers. 

In the Grigson era, we've invested one 1st rounder, two 3rd rounders and a 6th rounder. All of them are/were starters until Brazill smoked his way out of Indy.

Over the same period, the texans have invested two 1st rounders, three 3rd rounders, a 4, 5 & 6th rounders in WRs. And have nothing to show for it except nuk.

Strong has talent but is a headcase, and jury is obviously still out for fuller and miller.

Not to mention our depth behind dorsett, hilton and moncrief is abysmal.

55 minutes ago, myic90 said:

If dorsett is a game breaker like we believe he could be, I'd have no issues with it at all. The draft is about adding talent to the team at all levels.

I don't get this running joke and narrative that Grigson keeps drafting receivers. 

In the Grigson era, we've invested one 1st rounder, two 3rd rounders and a 6th rounder. All of them are/were starters until Brazill smoked his way out of Indy.

Over the same period, the texans have invested two 1st rounders, three 3rd rounders, a 4, 5 & 6th rounders in WRs. And have nothing to show for it except nuk.

Strong has talent but is a headcase, and jury is obviously still out for fuller and miller.

Not to mention our depth behind dorsett, hilton and moncrief is abysmal.

The draft is about building a championship team.  How are most championship teams built?  Elite quarterbacks and tough in the trenches.  All teams place different values on positions....I just don't value receivers that much. I would almost never take one in the first round.

12 minutes ago, BOTT said:

The draft is about building a championship team.  How are most championship teams built?  Elite quarterbacks and tough in the trenches.  All teams place different values on positions....I just don't value receivers that much. I would almost never take one in the first round.

I don't disagree, but neither does Grigson.

18 of 38 picks have been devoted to the trenches. That's right near the 50% mark. A lack of success in draft picks panning out doesn't equate to a fundamental difference in ideology.

4 hours ago, myic90 said:

I don't disagree, but neither does Grigson.

18 of 38 picks have been devoted to the trenches. That's right near the 50% mark. A lack of success in draft picks panning out doesn't equate to a fundamental difference in ideology.

I think he has drafted one front 7 player in the first two rounds....and that was Werner.  You want a "game wrecker" that will help "build the monster" you better spend premium picks there.  Running backs, receivers and pass catching tight ends won't get it done.

2 hours ago, BOTT said:

I think he has drafted one front 7 player in the first two rounds....and that was Werner.  You want a "game wrecker" that will help "build the monster" you better spend premium picks there.  Running backs, receivers and pass catching tight ends won't get it done.

Malik Jackson was a 5th rounder. This guy Henry Anderson was drafted in the 3rd last year and he played well for some team...

11 hours ago, SP_21 said:

Malik Jackson was a 5th rounder. This guy Henry Anderson was drafted in the 3rd last year and he played well for some team...

Everyone is aware that you can find players in any round, but the majority come in the first.  Plus, I wouldn't call Jackson or Anderson game wreckers.

11 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Everyone is aware that you can find players in any round, but the majority come in the first.  Plus, I wouldn't call Jackson or Anderson game wreckers.

The majority... that's a bit far fetched 

Jackson just got paid what $80 million to be average?

8 minutes ago, BOTT said:

And Brock Oswieler got how much?

The fact that quarterbacks are so important to overall team success drives the price of even mediocre ones up. You know that. 

For a defensive lineman to get that much money he has to have prove himself a lot more. And be a game changer. 

18 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

The fact that quarterbacks are so important to overall team success drives the price of even mediocre ones up. You know that. 

For a defensive lineman to get that much money he has to have prove himself a lot more. And be a game changer. 

Not when a team like the jags has a billion dollars in cap space.  A lot of guys have gotten paid in free agency and not lived up to the contract.

Jackson is a damn good player, but he's not elite.