Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who would you have drafted at #18?

Superman

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have tried to trade back.  I think Kelly would have lasted several more picks and we could have picked up some more draft picks.  In addition, there were reports that the Jets wanted to jump ahead of the Bills to get Paxton Lynch (which is weird because Lynch fell to them and they passed on him).  Perhaps we could have worked something out with Denver.

If there was no option to trade down, probably Shaq Lawson

9 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

I am happy with the Kelly pick.

I don't know why Jack isn't an option, but he is the other guy on the board who I would have considered taking over Kelly.  Had Conklin, Decker, or Tunsil fell to us, it'd be a different story.

I would have loved Leonard Floyd if he had fallen to us.

4 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

I would have drafted Lawson. He was BPA at a premium position. He reminds me of Tambi Hali. Kelly was a good pick but he wasn't the best pick. Also, Mathis and Cole are past their prime. We need better pass rushers and Lawson was one of the best in the draft. 

Lawson reminds me a lot of Mathis when he was drafted.

I would have been tempted by Lawson, but shoulder would make me pause.  Then I'd be tempted by A'Shawn Robinson or Vernon Butler.  But Then realize that of those still left, Kelly is probably the best choice for the Colts and others that may be ranked higher on my board really aren't that far above him.  Thus I am fine with Kelly.  I wouldn't even try to trade down (like who wants spot #18?  Not for Lynch...) and probably no partner anyway.  But I definitely wouldn't want to trade down, and watch Kelly go off the board.

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

I would have tried to trade back.  I think Kelly would have lasted several more picks and we could have picked up some more draft picks.  In addition, there were reports that the Jets wanted to jump ahead of the Bills to get Paxton Lynch (which is weird because Lynch fell to them and they passed on him).  Perhaps we could have worked something out with Denver.

If there was no option to trade down, probably Shaq Lawson

Yeah, too bad we didn't trade our pick to the Jets who were clearly champing at the bit for Paxton Lynch. They wanted Paxton so badly that they forgot to draft him when it was their turn. Silly Jets.

On the other hand, perhaps these "reports" were just nonsense.

6 hours ago, TheGreatManning18Fan said:

RYAN KELLY,  How can some of you say this pick has no value. It was our weakest link replaced with the best at the position in the draft how os that not value.

Trading back was maybe an option but you risk not getting the guy you wanted.I personally think Seattle was targeting Kelly and if we traded back it would've be a good chance we would have missed out on KELLY. 

No one ever said that Kelly has no value? If they did they obviously never seen him play. I don't know why you say that people are saying he has no value. I haven't seen 1 person upset with this pick on here yet

I liked other guys, but hey, it HAD to be Ryan Kelly. 

Look, this draft, or most importantly, this pick, isn't about next year --- it's about the next 10 years.

We have a once-in-a-generation player at the most important position in football in Luck.

You HAVE to make HIM the best player he can be. That means first and foremost protecting him.

He's different than Peyton. Peyton got rid of the ball FAST and really protected his OL. 

Andrew likes to hold the ball longer. 

We've seen other QBs get beaten into short careers (Bert Jones anyone?)

This pick was about helping Andrew Luck become a Hall of Famer --- and getting us to a few Super Bowls. 

Sexy? No. The right pick? Absolutely, based on the draft projections of this kid

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

Nkemdiche. Why isn't Nkemdiche an option? I'm happy with the Kelly pick however

Nkemdiche isn't an option for two reasons.....    off the field issues,  and on the field issues.

He's got a boat load of character issues,  and while being freakishly talented,  he didn't dominate on the field nearly enough.      Often, he looks lost out there.

Too many red flags for this front office.

31 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

No one ever said that Kelly has no value? If they did they obviously never seen him play. I don't know why you say that people are saying he has no value. I haven't seen 1 person upset with this pick on here yet

They don't say he has "no" value....    but they're saying he doesn't have "enough" value to be picked at 18,  that other players had "more" value.

Lawson seems like the favorite. I liked him and would have been fine, but the shoulder is obviously a factor. Should also note that he's not the kind of edge rusher everyone is hoping to get. I think it's generous to compare him to Hali and Dumervil, but he's a better rusher than Upshaw for sure.

I ruled out Spence, Jack and Nkemdiche because none of them were legitimate options, for obvious reasons. I like all 3 of them but the Colts needed a "sure thing" at #18. Too much risk with those guys for this team right now.

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Kelly is a very solid pick....one we needed....

...Nobody's a sure thing but he's played at the elite level and been very good

Gotta agree with you in this one. I think its a huge sign of relief that Jonathoon Harrison wont be starting at center anymore. Believe it or not, he really affected the rest of the line when he played. Take his first snap against the Carolina Panthers for example. That was a huuuuuge team killer that game...

4 hours ago, MTC said:

Shaq Lawson in round 1.

Nick Martin in round 2.

Like I mentioned before, I really like Ryan Kelly. He's going to be a pro bowl center, however, Shaq Lawson would have helped our defense a lot. 

How about Kelly in 1 and Spence in 2? Which is better?

The best pick for us would have been William Jackson.
 That said, The idea of Kelly being "so good" in pass protection, and "so good" at run blocking"
 is something to get Pumped about.
  If we can get that kind of pass blocking at RG, Andrew won`t know how to act! :headspin:
   And a solid run game up the middle is a huge deal to making the entire offense hard to defend.
 Good luck to our draft team. Get us another rock.

4 hours ago, tweezy32 said:

If you go read the other topics there are plenty that stated he didnt have enough value for 18th pick. Not in this topic but in the others .

4 hours ago, Superman said:

......... Should also note that (Lawson) is not the kind of edge rusher everyone is hoping to get. I think it's generous to compare him to Hali and Dumervil, but he's a better rusher than Upshaw for sure.

That says it all.  I would have gladly accepted Floyd over Kelly, but no other edge rusher was a better pick at #18, IMO.

4 hours ago, bap1331 said:

Gotta agree with you in this one. I think its a huge sign of relief that Jonathoon Harrison wont be starting at center anymore. Believe it or not, he really affected the rest of the line when he played. Take his first snap against the Carolina Panthers for example. That was a huuuuuge team killer that game...

If we protect Luck better......our run game will also be better..

Its all begins with protecting Andrew and re-establishing our passing game as being a big threat

I would look for more offensive line help later

9 hours ago, krunk said:

Why do you think Nkemdiche wasn't an option?  The guy falls out of a window of a hotel smoking fake weed. And then he gets up in front of everybody during his interviews and tells us he was drunk?

That is just foretelling things.  It's obvious colts are looking for talented guys with great Character.   I can see why they went the other direction.

A college kid drunk?  No way!!

Just now, krunk said:

That's not the point. It wad not alcohol that caused him to do that. It was the fake weed, but he tells us it was liquor as if we are fools.

I know.  Just giving you a hard time.

but for,the record, we don't know if he was smoking fake weed do we?

Just now, BOTT said:

I know.  Just giving you a hard time.

but for,the record, we don't know if he was smoking fake weed do we?

Didn't he get arrested? If he got arrested that's even worse because now you are jumping out of windows from what's perceived by the police to be real weed. Who jumps out of windows from real weed? He got in trouble and suspended for something more than liquor, but he wants us to believe its all about the liquor. And he says something lame like that after having months to prepare for the questions

22 minutes ago, krunk said:

Didn't he get arrested? If he got arrested that's even worse because now you are jumping out of windows from what's perceived by the police to be real weed. Who jumps out of windows from real weed? He got in trouble and suspended for something more than liquor, but he wants us to believe its all about the liquor. And he says something lame like that after having months to prepare for the questions

Meh...go smash quarterback.  He's not QB and he hasn't failed any drug tests so I really wouldn't care.

9 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

Lawson reminds me a lot of Mathis when he was drafted.

Difference is Lawson is 6'3 270 and Mathis 6'2 245 lbs. Lawson is one of the best OLB's i've scouted when it comes to the combination of Pass rush and stopping the run. He's going to be a star. Tambi Hali 2.0

15 hours ago, Moncrief said:

I will say that our pick in the 2nd is going to have some talent there waiting.

You were right, there WAS talent there still (especially if we had jumped up a couple picks) but alas, we went backwards and got a S that I think has potential, but seems more like a project than immediate starter and there were better pure cover corners available if that was what they wanted.  I read USA Today's write up on him after our pick and they said he could be starting with Adams... wouldn't that put us right back in the same situation as last year, two free safeties, one of which is ancient?  I still liked Neal as a safety but he was already gone when we picked.  I am happy with our Center.  But unsure if this was the best option at Safety, in my view, our biggest area of need on Defense (and apparently the Colts agreed).   Perhaps he's simply Adam's replacement at pure FS.  I hope Geathers can live up to starting SS.  

My picks...Jarran Reed in the first then Nick Martin in the second. We could have gotten our DT and C...2 studs. Can't believe Reed fell to the 2nd round and he was there for us...but we traded that pick to GB! Reed goes to Seattle who already has a great D Line. When are we going to shore up our DT's??? If we can't stop the run, then we will never win a championship. Other teams will control the clock by running on us thus keeping the ball out of Lucks' hands. I'm surprised we didn't take a WR in each of the first 2 rounds. 

23 hours ago, Superman said:

Let's put away the abstractions. You're on the clock with the Colts pick. For the sake of realism, Nkemdiche and Jack are not options. Who are you taking?

Didn't see this yesterday but I'm fine with Kelly. 

With Kelly aside I like WJ III