Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

21isSuperman

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If you count yourself as one of the most as I mentioned, then that is on you. It don't matter at this point anyway. The pick was made, 90% of Colt fans are happy with it. It also seems the so called draft guru's are happy with the pick. So now all that is left to do is whine about it because it's over and done. Talking about what might have been serves no purpose at this point.

I don't care whether the talking heads are fine with it or the majority of fans. That's not the purpose if player recruitment. 

It's not like I'm pointlessly whining. My critique of the pick is down to sound analysis of the previous picks of that position/status and a view on Kelly's tape. 

His penalty/sack statistics give a more positive view but I can't see why both aspects aren't reasonable viewpoints. 

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 hours ago, krunk said:

SW1 it's just like when I go out to make offers on investment properties.  I have a formula that has been popularly taught and that is ARV x 70percent -Repairs=Maximum Available Offer.  However there are times when there is a different way you have to approach things depending on the current conditions in the market place.  BPA to me works the same way, sometimes you have to adjust your way of doing things.  Rarely is a center ever considered for 1st round status over everyone else.  If one is available like that who offers all type of talent, playing multiple roles, well disciplined, schooled by NFL level coaching in college, so and and so forth it's something you can consider because at the end of the day he's still a rare talent and those are the type of players you want to add to your football team at the end of the day in the 1st round of the draft.  And as I stated previously to you, a need player can be the BPA for a team. I would scoff more at this pick if we took a lesser/regular type of center who could only play the center position and nothing else.  That is not Kelly.

I get it Kelly's like a swiss army knife & he can play multiple positions on our line so his versatility is an added bonus. I was fine using a 1st rounder on a center because we have had a huge void there ever since #63 left. 

8 hours ago, Dustin said:

Khaled Homes and Jonathan Harrison combined for 1.5 sacks allowed and 4 penalties.

Low sack totals are only part of the equation Dustin. I watched Kelly highlights from the Combine again this morning on Colts.com. Ryan imposes his will & moves guys backward everytime he lines up & snaps the ball. Plus, he's agile & quick for such a large man. Holmes & Harrison are a joke next to Ryan. Please..

7 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Why not? I think the whole point of round 1 is to select a player who is going to have an impact. If Kelly is as good as advertised we get a player who can anchor the line for the forseeable future and instantly improve the pass protection and running game. That combination equals more wins which is what you're after. All the analysts I heard last night said that Kelly is a plug and play C or G even with pro bowl potential. The fact that he's a center should have nothing to do with where he is selected. All indications are that he was by far the best player at the position and I think the vast majority of us on this forum have seen how valuable a good Center can be.

Exactly TAC, everytime I read SP21 moan & groan over the Kelly selection, I roar with laughter. Centers are not worth much & can be found anywhere rhetoric. Yeah sure SP21, keep telling yourself that craziness if it makes you feel better. 

These individuals who claim centers are overrated will pretend like they wanted Kelly all along when our RBs dramatically improve 3rd down conversions this year with 3rd & 2 vs 3rd & 5 or more. Trust me. 

2 hours ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I understand your frustration but it makes me wonder if you have been watching the colts running game since Edge left. Cuz it's been %, and the elite offense the colts had, soon deteriorated afterwards. The Colts D last year was doing good when the offense did good. And you can't only draft "premium" positions. You win games in the trenches and when it comes to the trenches, offensive line comes first. Just because Grigson has wasted time drafting certain talents per "premium" positions, which haven't turned out. Clearly also, drafting olineman later than the 2nd round, has also not worked for Grigson. 

Do do you know what insanity is? Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome. The colts have been doing the same thing over and over by ignoring the trenches. I don't really give two %s if he was of 3rd round talent and was drafted in the 1st round. When you ignore the oline for over 6 years like the colts have, you have to eat crow and make new sacrifices. 

The Colts have missed on interior lineman in recent drafts that's true. But there are plenty of good lineman in that time frame that were taken later. We for whatever reason haven't had any luck finding them. We have tried though. 

To be clear I like Kelly and I'm not furious over the pick. I would have gone a different direction because I think there was more value at other positions. No need to make it personal or anything. I though forums were for open discussion but apparently I can't voice my opinion without being berated by a dozen people. 

18 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I get it Kelly's like a swiss army knife & he can play multiple positions on our line so his versatility is an added bonus. I was fine using a 1st rounder on a center because we have had a huge void there ever since #63 left. 

Low sack totals are only part of the equation Dustin. I watched Kelly highlights from the Combine again this morning on Colts.com. Ryan imposes his will & moves guys backward everytime he lines up & snaps the ball. Plus, he's agile & quick for such a large man. Holmes & Harrison are a joke next to Ryan. Please..

Exactly TAC, everytime I read SP21 moan & groan over the Kelly selection, I roar with laughter. Centers are not worth much & can be found anywhere rhetoric. Yeah sure SP21, keep telling yourself that craziness if it makes you feel better. 

These individuals who claim centers are overrated will pretend like they wanted Kelly all along when our RBs dramatically improve 3rd down conversions this year with 3rd & 2 vs 3rd & 5 or more. Trust me. 

Dude you're pathetic. Stop trying to belittle me because of my opinion. I wasn't trying to start a war over this. My original post stated that I liked Kelly and was ok with the pick. Get over yourself 

8 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

The Colts have missed on interior lineman in recent drafts that's true. But there are plenty of good lineman in that time frame that were taken later. We for whatever reason haven't had any luck finding them. We have tried though. 

To be clear I like Kelly and I'm not furious over the pick. I would have gone a different direction because I think there was more value at other positions. No need to make it personal or anything. I though forums were for open discussion but apparently I can't voice my opinion without being berated by a dozen people. 

You call it discussion when it is argument. Because you cant find anyone who agrees with your opinion you now want to call it berated?  Saying you would have went a different direction means the same thing no matter how many ways you say it. You are correct about this being a forum. That means you have to take a difference of opinion or point of view without whining.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

You call it discussion when it is argument. Because you cant find anyone who agrees with your opinion you now want to call it berated?  Saying you would have went a different direction means the same thing no matter how many ways you say it. You are correct about this being a forum. That means you have to take a difference of opinion or point of view without whining.

Dustin is one person who agrees and there were a couple others I can't remember. You keep commenting even though I've said repeatedly that I like Kelly and that I'm not mad over the pick. Let it go 

As far as whining... get real. I've responded to people that have quoted me. I only posted ONE comment. The rest have been responses to people such as yourself. 

Can this "argument" be over now? We're both happy to have Kelly so there is no reason to keep this banter up. Thanks

25 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Dude you're pathetic. Stop trying to belittle me because of my opinion. I wasn't trying to start a war over this. My original post stated that I liked Kelly and was ok with the pick. Get over yourself 

I'm not belittling you at all sir. Your own words in this thread have done that more succinctly than anything I said initially. 

Did I attack your intellect? No. Did I say you are not well versed in football analysis? No. I am simply pointing out that you don't value centers very much as a position & I disagreed with you on using a 1st round pick to grab Kelly where we did. I was fine with it, overjoyed in fact, since we haven't fixed that spot since Saturday left. 

If you look over all your posts in this thread, I think one can safely say that you don't put a premium on centers so let's not create the false impression that you are being unfairly tarred & feathered shall we. What war has been started exactly? Is your skin really that thin? Sigh...

So, someone with less than a thousand posts on this forum is going to tell an established regular contributor with over 22,000 posts how to conduct themselves? Interesting...By the way, I was attacking your argument not you personally & the last time I checked no forum member is excluded from expressing opinions that may not meet popular consensus on this site. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I'm not belittling you at all sir. Your own words in this thread have done that more succinctly than anything I said initially. 

Did I attack your intellect? No. Did I say you are not well versed in football analysis? No. I am simply pointing out that you don't value centers very much as a position & I disagreed with you on using a 1st round pick to grab Kelly where we did. I was fine with it, overjoyed in fact, since we haven't fixed that spot since Saturday left. 

If you look over all your posts in this thread, I think one can safely say that you don't put a premium on centers so let's not create the false impression that you are being unfairly tarred & feathered shall we. What war has been started exactly? Is your skin really that thin? Sigh...

So, someone with less than a thousand posts on this forum is going to tell an established regular contributor with over 22,000 posts how to conduct themselves? Interesting...By the way, I was attacking your argument not you personally & the last time I checked no forum member is excluded from expressing opinions that may meet popular consensus on this site. 

Whatever you say boss. And I really don't care at all about how many post you have. It's irrelevant. I posted once, all the other post are responses to people like you. Have a good day bud

3 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Whatever you say boss. And I really don't care at all about how many post you have. It's irrelevant. I posted once, all the other post are responses to people like you. Have a good day bud

The point about mentioning the number of posts a member has simply means that established posters have earned a level of credibility that others are still in the process of achieving. Does that diminish your point of view SP21? No, of course not, unless the person in question feels that were mistreated when they actually weren't in reality. 

You are entitled to your opinion SP21 & I am entitled to respectfully disagree with it if I deem fit. It's as simple as that. You are not being singled out, alienated, or maliciously targeted sir. We are all capable of defending our positions. Just because a person disagrees with you, doesn't mean the world is out to get you or condemn you. Have a nice day yourself sir & I'm sure that we will agree on later draft picks tonight SP21. 

2 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

The point about mentioning the number of posts a member has simply means that established posters have earned a level of credibility that others are still in the process of achieving. Does that diminish your point of view SP21? No, of course not, unless the person in question feels that were mistreated when they actually weren't in reality. 

You are entitled to your opinion SP21 & I am entitled to respectfully disagree with it if I deem fit. It's as simple as that. You are not being singled out, alienated, or maliciously targeted sir. We are all capable of defending our positions. Just because a person disagrees with you, doesn't mean the world is out to get you or condemn you. Have a nice day yourself sir & I'm sure that we will agree on later draft picks tonight SP21. 

Who do you think we'll take tonight? I'm hoping for Billings cause he's my favorite player in the draft but I honestly have no idea what we'll do. 

3 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Who do you think we'll take tonight? I'm hoping for Billings cause he's my favorite player in the draft but I honestly have no idea what we'll do. 

Billings is a fine player. I'd be cool with that. I'd like Noah Spence because he's got a great motor & I like how he's turned his life around. Yeah, nobody really knows what player Grigs will pull the trigger on next. 

We're cool man. I don't sweat the small stuff SP21. I've got no problems with you at all.  

11 hours ago, SP_21 said:

I feel the same way about centers in the 1st as you do about RBs. 

I agree though both of us arguing our opinions over and over does get old. 

I was talking about Luck holding the ball.

Drafting a center isn't my ideal 1st round pick, but I'm not going to complain about an upgrade that helps protect the franchise.

1 hour ago, SP_21 said:

Dustin is one person who agrees and there were a couple others I can't remember. You keep commenting even though I've said repeatedly that I like Kelly and that I'm not mad over the pick. Let it go 

As far as whining... get real. I've responded to people that have quoted me. I only posted ONE comment. The rest have been responses to people such as yourself. 

Can this "argument" be over now? We're both happy to have Kelly so there is no reason to keep this banter up. Thanks

I guess you have responded as much as anyone. If you have a problem maybe you could take your own advice?