• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 hours ago, ClaytonColt said:

Of course they do. 

I'm just pointing out that having a pro-bowl, 1st round center, seems mainly to be the domain of pretty poor teams. It's not quite the sign of success I'd be looking for and the 'guarantee' of having an all-pro guy in that position doesn't look to be a big deal.

In 5 years time there will be little point celebrating the fact that Kelly's gone to another pro-bowl if there's a sixth round center holding the Lombardi aloft.

The main knock on Grigson is he hasn't took care of the offensive line well enough. Now that he has made a move to do that he still gets roasted by fans like you. I just have a feeling you would complain no matter who was taken.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The main knock on Grigson is he hasn't took care of the offensive line well enough. Now that he has made a move to do that he still gets roasted by fans like you. I just have a feeling you would complain no matter who was taken.

I agree with this.

I didn't care who we took as long as it was an OL. Every expert and talking head are praising grigs on this pick for once, yet we have those that just want to cry about us taking a center at 18.  A guy ranked by most as being in the top 15 of all available players.......

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

That's why I like reading your posts Krunk. Not only are they well thought out; You don't condemn a pick simply because Grigs didn't take the guy you wanted initially. A lot of fans pout, spew venom, or lose their minds if they believe a catastrophic mistake has been made like GoDeep stated above. 

No head scratch moment in round 1 for INDY. Sweet. Let's hope this euphoric sensation continues in subsequent rounds tomorrow. Knock on wood. 

I was kind of disappointed that Sean O'hara on post NFL Total Access coverage didn't talk about our new toy in Ryan Kelly since he played the same position & I respect him as a football evaluator. Oh well. I was looking forward to his 2 cents on Kelly though. 

SW1 it's just like when I go out to make offers on investment properties.  I have a formula that has been popularly taught and that is ARV x 70percent -Repairs=Maximum Available Offer.  However there are times when there is a different way you have to approach things depending on the current conditions in the market place.  BPA to me works the same way, sometimes you have to adjust your way of doing things.  Rarely is a center ever considered for 1st round status over everyone else.  If one is available like that who offers all type of talent, playing multiple roles, well disciplined, schooled by NFL level coaching in college, so and and so forth it's something you can consider because at the end of the day he's still a rare talent and those are the type of players you want to add to your football team at the end of the day in the 1st round of the draft.  And as I stated previously to you, a need player can be the BPA for a team. I would scoff more at this pick if we took a lesser/regular type of center who could only play the center position and nothing else.  That is not Kelly.

32 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I can't speak for everyone but it wasn't my main knock on Grigson. My main knock was building a defence that conceded over 25 points per game, has an aging linebacker corp and very few true play makers.

To me center is a position you can be creative with in terms of recruitment. The success of teams with highly touted centers is very much minimal and doesn't lead me to believe that you really need to have a superstar in that role.

Added onto the fact that his tape is solid but unspectacular with very few plays that look anything but mundane and the common over rating of Bama players it seems to me that the pick doesn't quite push us any closer to where we want to be.

8 hours ago, Dustin said:

How lucky are we that Grigson's BPA was at our biggest position of need?

Yes!

The Colts heirarchy agreed

That Kelly was "best in breed"

After Andrew gets maimed

Grigson locates his brain

And drafts BPA at a position of need!

:lecture:

8 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Luck could still get hurt because he holds on the ball too long. I like Kelly he's a good player but Lawson and Jack were blue chip defensive players. Werner was a gamble and Lawson was faster but also bigger and stronger. 

Lawson is an edge setter, a good one, but an edge setter, that's an easier to find thing than rush backers.....  I guess you figure we can't sustain drives on offense to keep the D off the field no matter what.

9 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I thought you were strongly against investing highly into centers.  I think I've seen you say on here that center is the least important OL position

I realize you didn't say it, but Center is second barely to Left Tackle, and if you have a decent overall line, and a GREAT center, it can be the most important due to making correct line calls and adjustments.  Want to know why Henry had so many yards last year?  Watch the work Ryan Kelly did for him blocking and getting line calls right.  

5 hours ago, esmort said:

No one can never know for sure .... I just don't believe that it really happened that by sheer coincidence a position of need that Grigson has consistently struck out on happened to be the BPA based purely on talent. 

Not that I have been/or am a proponent of sticking to that philosophy .. but according to Grigson he supposedly has such a philosophy.  And if we were going to deviate from that philosophy we could have benefited on other picks in previous drafts .. or we did and Grigson is just full of it and whiffed ... hmmm

So what I take from this is that you think if grigsons BPA isn't a player of need it's preposterous ,  and if it is a player of need it's a crazy coincidence.  You literally just put him in a lose/ lose situation. Seems like you are just looking for a reason to bash the guy. I'm not a fan of grigson either, but Come on man.... 

14 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Lawson is an edge setter, a good one, but an edge setter, that's an easier to find thing than rush backers.....  I guess you figure we can't sustain drives on offense to keep the D off the field no matter what.

He's more then just an edge setter. Among the nation leaders in tackle for loss (25.5) and sacks ( 12.5). Very similar player to Tambi Hali. 

4 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Still several good pass rushers and DL on the board. I think Kelly was a must pick. Glad we finally made a big investment in the OL

My thoughts exactly. We CANNOT win the division without Luck. That was pretty evident last season. It was the right move to get Kelly. Invest in the franchise. Protect the franchise. This is only the first round. We have six more for working on our defense.

11 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

I can't speak for everyone but it wasn't my main knock on Grigson. My main knock was building a defence that conceded over 25 points per game, has an aging linebacker corp and very few true play makers.

To me center is a position you can be creative with in terms of recruitment. The success of teams with highly touted centers is very much minimal and doesn't lead me to believe that you really need to have a superstar in that role.

Added onto the fact that his tape is solid but unspectacular with very few plays that look anything but mundane and the common over rating of Bama players it seems to me that the pick doesn't quite push us any closer to where we want to be.

Think of it this way, yes...semi-mundane...in the fact that there is no d-lineman pushing him out of the way to tackle the QB, or RB.  Kelly is not spectacular, because a great Center is not flashy,..you never hear his name except when announcers say that they haven't HAD to say his name.  That is the mark of a great lineman.  

The man just goes out play to play week to week, year to year, and makes holes for a RB, and keeps NT's and DT's off his QB.

7 minutes ago, bababooey said:

It's like people WANT Luck to keep getting destroyed. Yes we passed on great D prospects, but so did others. At least keeping Luck upright and healthy extends drives and keeps the D off the field a little longer...

I agree... and if you want to have some 100+ yd rushing games, we just took a strong step towards it.  

Just now, RollerColt said:

My thoughts exactly. We CANNOT win the division without Luck. That was pretty evident last season. It was the right move to get Kelly. Invest in the franchise. Protect the franchise. This is only the first round. We have six more for working on our defense.

Besides, almost every analyst I heard had nothing but great things to say about Kelly and his abilities not only as a pass protector and run blocker but his intelligence. He is the road grader and the leader that  a lot of us on this board have been wanting for a very long time. Maybe they could have still gotten him 5 spots back but I don't think you take the chance when the prospect is that good and the need is that big.

The point that Luck holds the ball too long is very valid and painful to watch but here is a point. If he cannot cure himself of that bad habit then the only solution is to give him a wall. He has two very fast receivers and apparently that is not enough. A team has to build on the talent they have not the talent they wish they had. 

''Fix the O-line they said....''

''We need a Center they said....''

''Protect Luck they said....''

We draft the best center in the draft and some (actually less than I anticipated) are upset by it. Protecting Luck has to be priority #1. I'm sure Scott Tolzien could get us 6-8 wins if ya'll are happy with that...

I love the pic. We'll have opportunity in 2-5 to fill some real needs with good football players.

6 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Pray tell, how do you know someone is not 'good value' before they have played one single snap in the NFL? You must have a top quality crystal ball.......looking forward to your season predictions in a few months.

Value isn't all about how good a player can be. I like Kelly as a player but would never draft a center Round 1. 

FWIW I think we win 10+ games. 12-4 is my prediction 

33 minutes ago, ClaytonColt said:

So did his tape show he gave up zero sacks and one penalty in three years? But what does that matter to you. All you care to do is whine.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

So did his tape show he gave up zero sacks and one penalty in three years? But what does that matter to you. All you care to do is whine.

I'm not whining. I just don't see the benefit of a first round centre in general or Kelly specifically. 

Zero sacks and one penalty is impressive. I'll freely admit that. I honestly don't see that statistical dominance reflected in his play to the extent that it's going to push us on.

We took less sacks than the Broncos, Seahawks and Patriots last year and only 4 more than the Panthers. Was the benefits that Kelly brings to the table really that much of a difference maker than someone lower down the draft. 

That's not a whine, I think it's a valid question. 

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

If Defense wins Championships, how come very few teams with a non Elite QB have done so. Is this a remarkable coincidence, or is it all just some tough guy posturing? 

Agreed. It's all about balance. Things coming together at the right time. With a top defense, the chances of winning one Superbowl go up. But to win multiple, both the offense and defense have to be stellar. 

Lifelong Colts fan here west of Indy. Not a season ticket holder but I attend every single home game and more times than not 1 road game per year. Anyways, I'm here.

I love this pick. The days of Khaled Holmes and Jon Harrison rotating at center are over...I hope. There's nothing I hate more than hearing the Khaled Holmes center talk @ training camp each season. R. Kelly should be a staple at center for the next decade with the franchise Luck. 6'4 311 lb center? A gaping hole has now been plugged. 

Great work, Grigs! Let's keep this thing going throughout the weekend. 

I wanted Kelly all along so I am extremely happy.

That said, it seems as though some fans are going out of their way to take any comment out of context. I read a post of a fan who said he/she would have rather we drafted defense. That fan was ripped for writing it. There's nothing wrong with having an opinion guys and gals.

Kelly is an awesome addition to our team, and most Colts fans like the pick. Some fans (like me) love the pick. Others might need a little time to fall in love with it.

This pick will speak for itself, once we all see how much it improves our team. I believe Kelly improved our team the moment his name was announced at #18. Some people are a little sceptical. Give them a little time.

6 minutes ago, I Love C said:

Lifelong Colts fan here west of Indy. Not a season ticket holder but I attend every single home game and more times than not 1 road game per year. Anyways, I'm here.

I love this pick. The days of Khaled Holmes and Jon Harrison rotating at center are over...I hope. There's nothing I hate more than hearing the Khaled Holmes center talk @ training camp each season. R. Kelly should be a staple at center for the next decade with the franchise Luck. 6'4 311 lb center? A gaping hole has now been plugged. 

Great work, Grigs! Let's keep this thing going throughout the weekend. 

Welcome to the forum!

I think some people aren't happy unless they are complaining. 

I love this pick, and those of you complaining will change that tune when we have several 100+ yard rushing games this year, and Luck isn't running for his life or having to force throws every snap. 

I think the drop off between say Kelly and the next best C versus the drop off between say DTs drafted thus far and those available on day 2 is a lot more. Still not convinced on the value but I think you can certainly get a lot of value in 2 and 3,

Taking bets on how far Jack falls?

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I think the drop off between say Kelly and the next best C versus the drop off between say DTs drafted thus far and those available on day 2 is a lot more. Still not convinced on the value but I think you can certainly get a lot of value in 2 and 3,

Taking bets on how far Jack falls?

He won't make it past the Jags at 38 IMO

26 minutes ago, I Love C said:

Kelly gave up 0 sacks and had 0 penalties last season, while starting every game and playing 1,032 snaps, in the nation's top conference (SEC). 

You are just wasting your time quoting facts. Most of the ones complaining are the ones who non stop complain about every move the Colts make so stating your case is nil to them.

28 minutes ago, I Love C said:

Kelly gave up 0 sacks and had 0 penalties last season, while starting every game and playing 1,032 snaps, in the nation's top conference (SEC). 

Khaled Homes and Jonathan Harrison combined for 1.5 sacks allowed and 4 penalties.

1 hour ago, pacolts56 said:

Yes!

The Colts heirarchy agreed

That Kelly was "best in breed"

After Andrew gets maimed

Grigson locates his brain

And drafts BPA at a position of need!

:lecture:

I'd like that as a haiku, please :applause:

10 hours ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Lawson is actually fast. Grigson drafted for need again. Kelly is a solid player but drafting him won't stop Luck from getting hurt again. The Cowboys had a great O-line and Romo got hurt. I'm fed up with Grigson, so tired of him drafting offense in every 1st round when there's not much talent on defense. 

Be honest, you'd still be fed up with Grigson if he drafted six guys that you had posters of hanging in your room..... not that Grigson hasn't given you plenty of reason.....lol

Just now, Dustin said:

He won't make it past the Jags at 38 IMO

If you'd said pre-draft that 1 team was getting Jack AND Ramsey you'd have been laughed off this board..

Scary times if he lands there and his knee can hold up, even for a season. I don't think the AFC South is going to have it it's "soft" tag for much longer. Jags making good moves and might have their QB, Titans not making as good moves but might too have a QB, Texans will be dangerous if they get decent QB play out of Osweiler.