Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If You Were Andrew Luck

I would have to wait to form that opinion on two key things.

A ) Peyton Manning's health

B ) The head coach that is hired/offensive system that will be installed.

I wouldn't want any part of sitting behind Manning or anyone if I had those abilities. I'm sure there are benefits of learning from and being around Manning, but I don't think that those would outweigh what is learned and the experienced gained from playing day one on. Manning would and has said the same thing about being QB 1 from day one.

I would have to wait to form that opinion on two key things.

A ) Peyton Manning's health

B ) The head coach that is hired/offensive system that will be installed.

I wouldn't want any part of sitting behind Manning or anyone if I had those abilities. I'm sure there are benefits of learning from and being around Manning, but I don't think that those would outweigh what is learned and the experienced gained from playing day one on. Manning would and has said the same thing about being QB 1 from day one.

I might be okay sitting behind Peyton for 1 or 2 years tops. Especially if I was able to get some playing time

I might be okay sitting behind Peyton for 1 or 2 years tops. Especially if I was able to get some playing time

Some might... Some with that elite drive would want to play. Aaron Rodgers will praise the time he sat behind Favre, but deep down you know he wanted Favre to retire as soon as he was drafted and take over. Manning wanted the ball day 1. I doubt Luck is any different. I wouldn't want him to be any different.

Luck will be 23 years old when the season starts. Manning played 13 years.... If Luck played 13 years that puts him at Manning's age... Nobody should want to waste time in this league.

The big question is how would u feel if u were manning and u did all that for a team and they our pushing u out the doorThks for 13 years bye luck u ready

I don't think that anyone's pushing Manning out of the door. If Manning was healthy, this all would be a non-issue and the chances of the Colts trading the first pick would be great. But with Manning's health still a concern, the Colts are now in a bind and have to make a really difficult decision.

If I were Manning, I would understand this. The Colts paid me my salary to NOT play this year in hopes that I could recover. What more could I expect from my team?

Some might... Some with that elite drive would want to play. Aaron Rodgers will praise the time he sat behind Favre, but deep down you know he wanted Favre to retire as soon as he was drafted and take over. Manning wanted the ball day 1. I doubt Luck is any different. I wouldn't want him to be any different.

Luck will be 23 years old when the season starts. Manning played 13 years.... If Luck played 13 years that puts him at Manning's age... Nobody should want to waste time in this league.

Yeah I hear ya. I'd be concerned if any player with Luck's caliber wanted to sit. It would look bad. However, the smart players understand that sometimes you have to wait your turn, and the smart one's take that time sitting to improve in other areas. Did Aaron Rodgers want to sit behind Favre for 3 years? I doubt he did. But, he used that time to improve, work on technique, etc. The important thing is to make the most of whatever situation you are in.

I don't think that anyone's pushing Manning out of the door. If Manning was healthy, this all would be a non-issue and the chances of the Colts trading the first pick would be great. But with Manning's health still a concern, the Colts are now in a bind and have to make a really difficult decision.

If I were Manning, I would understand this. The Colts paid me my salary to NOT play this year in hopes that I could recover. What more could I expect from my team?

Well how many years was Bob Sanders paid before we had no choice but to release him? My count was way more than one. Don't think Peyton had this in his plans it was just something that happened. If he is healthy I surely hope he plays and retires a Colt. If he can't play I think he will retire and only Peyton will know how he feels as his playing ability and his quality of play. He knows his body better than anyone else. When playing he has always given 100% and if he can't do so I think retirement may be his only option. JMO of course.

Good point, and I am in perfect agreement.

If Peyton did not get injured such that he required 3 surgeries and the entire season to recover, the Colts would not have the #1 overall draft pick to trade, and all this discussion would be moot.

However, Peyton did get injured, got the surgeries, and required the entire season to recover (of which the recovery is still uncertain). If the Colts management is confident that:

a) Peyton will be healthy and

b) the risk of injury to Peyton is no greater than to any other QB, and

c) Peyton will continue to perform at a level of his 28 year old self for the next 4-5 years,

then I am all for trading the #1 overall pick. But I don't think the management is confident of any of that at this time, and may not be come March 8.

If you were Andrew Luck, or any other number 1 draft pick, how would you feel about getting drafted by the Colts who are undergoing major front office and coaching staff changes?

Would the changes scare you away?

Or would the changes intrigue you and make you want to be a part of the Colts "new era"

I would like to think of it as the beginning of "my era". I think it is somewhat special in this sense. Let's say for the sake of this thread, that PM retires or leaves (God forbid). With a whole new staff and many new faces, it would be less of a "Manning's shadow" feel for me. Granted, Luck will have that feeling anyway from the fanbase, but you know what I'm trying to say. New era, new staff.

Well how many years was Bob Sanders paid before we had no choice but to release him? My count was way more than one. Don't think Peyton had this in his plans it was just something that happened. If he is healthy I surely hope he plays and retires a Colt. If he can't play I think he will retire and only Peyton will know how he feels as his playing ability and his quality of play. He knows his body better than anyone else. When playing he has always given 100% and if he can't do so I think retirement may be his only option. JMO of course.

Regarding paying Bob Sanders, it was unfortunate that he always found a way to get injured. The difference with the two scenarios are that Bob usually had different injuries, and usually started the season but didn't finish the season.

Also, we would all agree that for the most part, we probably shouldn't have paid Bob all of that money. It was a mistake to do that. Now just because we made the mistake of paying Bob when he didn't play doesn't mean that we have to continue with that same line of logic when applied to Manning.

I hope Manning does return healthy.

haha, what franchise does like losing I would like to ask?

No franchise in any sport likes losing but what other franchises have ever basically fired most of the coaching staff and let go of their GM over 1 bad season in over a decade. Now don't get me wrong here I think it was right thing for the Colts to do. It just surprised me that they did do it.

Nothing evidences more that the Colts are in rebuilding mode, than the firings of the GM, and HC and most of the coaching staff.

If I were Andrew Luck, I would see the opportunity to be drafted by the Colts to be a favorable one, if rebuilding means to start of fresh with a new QB. Historically, teams usually do not rebuild with a 36 year old QB coming off 3 surgeries and has been inactive for a year.