Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The New And Updated If You Were The Gm

The new and updated if you were the GM (Grigson). Now that we know the search for the next head coach is on, depending on the health (which is improving) and who the next head coach is, will determine if Peyton will be part of the Indy Colts next season, otherwise, they would have completely cleaned house. I still am a firm believer in trading down, as I see plenty of talented prospects coming out now and in the future, especially with a Healthy Manning returning next season.

The Colts should be looking for a defensive minded head coach, especially if they are going to pursue another Lombardi with Manning. The candidate if have been clamoring for, who demands more from his players, runs a 4-3 and would transition well here, allowing Manning to run the offense, is Mike Zimmer!

Cap savings and options for the Colts going into next season, while keeping a healthy Manning in Indy and trading the Luck pick. There are options out there, to rebuild and compete for a SB, while keeping Manning in Indy. First and foremost Manning has to be healthy. I think he will reach 100% before the season starts March 8th. Then there is the question of what to do with all the free agents the Colts have, how to pay for all the rookies, including extra ones from a trade down.

Here is my plan:

•Trade the number one overall pick, get the largest possible bounty of value from the highest bidder, whether that is all draft picks or a combination of picks and players.

•Make the selections or get players in positions of need for the Colts. Ideally think defensively the Colts need another CB, WLB, a true impact NT, an impact SS, and a possible DE for the future. Then later in the draft acquire a Guard or two, a Center, maybe another Receiver of later value.

•Decide what to do with our own. Mathis can sign the franchise tag for $11 million, or he could sign a multi-year deal, somewhere around $7-9 million, for the next 3-5 years. Freeney could have his contract reworked and extended for 3 years as well. He could earn the same amount of money and represent a contract savings of $9 million to be freed up. This would account for roughly $19 million dollars against the cap on the DE position by resigning Mathis and mainly reworking Freeney’s contract! (Freeney $10, Mathis $9)

•Then there is the wide receiver position. Wayne, Garcon, and Gonzaelz are all options going into next season. It would make sense to keep all of them around with Manning returning. Wayne could get a slight pay raise, on a 3 year contract worth $21 million, which is $7 million against the cap, compared to his previous $5. Wayne would probably want $9.. Garcon would also have to get a pay raise and could sign a three year contract worth $12 million ($4 million dollar cap hit). He would probably want around $5.. Gonzalez could be resigned for a veteran minimum contract for one year, if he can prove he is healthy. Between the three we are talking about $12-15 million against the cap, depending on how selfish they really get.

•With Manning, the DE’s, and the WR’s, that’s 17(PM)+9(RM)+11(DF)+7-9(RW)+3-5(PG)+1(AG)= $49-52 million there. Keep in mind these are the positions the Colts need if they are going to keep Manning and make a Super Bowl run. The drafted Rookies account for about $10 Million against the cap, that’s $59-62 million. Certainly if Wayne, Garcon, or Mathis get too high, I could see one of them not being retained even with Manning, more so with Wayne and Mathis, and replacements could be drafted.

Now this is where my inner GM kicks in and I begin to make some sensible, realistic decisions. I would start with bringing my own free agents back, and seeing what cap room was left to pursue anyone who could make an impact on the team. I know chemistry is important for Manning and I would try to bring back Wayne, Garcon, and Gonzo. I would spend a max of $7 million on Wayne, a max of $5 million on Garcon, and a max of $700k (veteran minimum) on Gonzo. This is $13 million on these three, which I think the Colts could live with, but would ideally want lower.

2012 Cap Hit:

Peyton Manning 17, Dwight Freeney 10, Robert Mathis 9, Reggie Wayne 7,

Bethea 7, Garcon 5.

This means Brackett, Bullitt, Collins, Painter, Snow, Moala, Diles, Brown and Hughes are all cut for current and future contract savings.

That’s $55 Million thus far on the high contract figures on the Colts Roster, re-working and signing the rest of the players to appropriate deals and dead money will result in another $50-65 Million or so, rookies will account for almost $10 Million, giving the Colts a maximum of $5-10 Million to use in free agency.

They don’t need to be the dream team, just a few appropriate signings to improve the team. Whatever the Colts cannot address through the draft should be targeted in free agency. Reasonable, quality signings!

The next option is how to use the contract exemption in 2012 to save some money, the NFL permits three players to have their contracts exempt to increase roster space, there are several ideal candidates for this very move, Clarke, Addai, Brackett, Bullitt. Financially it makes more sense do use the exemption then outright cut some of these players. If the Colts were to cut three of these players before June 1st the savings wouldn’t kick in as much until 2013 and 2014; however using the exemption after June 1st would allow the Colts to split the savings between the 2012 and 2013 so the money would be balanced, instead of $3.2 in 2012 and $24 Million in 2013, it could be roughly $10 in 2012 and $11 in 2013. With Brackett, Clarke, Addai (Contract Exemptions), Bullit, Moala, Snow, Hughes, Brown all cut to free up cap space.

As far as the draft goes, I mentioned I would look to trade the pick. Ideal candidate would be with Cleveland. All picks 1-4 this year (6 total) and their first and second next year.

Round One (4)- Morris Claiborne CB

Round Two (22)- Mark Barron SS

Round Two (34 )- Brandon Thompson or Best Available NT

Round Two (36)- Zach Brown WLB

Round Three (65)- LaMichael James RB

Round Three (68)- Orsen Charles TE

Round Four- Leonard Johnson CB

Round Four- Amini Silatolu LG

Round Four- Josh Chapman NT

Round Five- Brock Osweller QB

Round Five (Compensatory)- Ryan Broyles WR

Round Six- Jacquies Smith or Donta Paige-Moss DE

Round Seven- Jaymes Brooks or Best Available RG

Round Seven (Compensatory)- Terrance Ganaway RB

Line Up:

QB: Manning, Osweller

RB: LaMichael James, Ganaway, Carter

TE: Charles, Tamme

WR: Wayne, Garcon, Collie, Gonzo, Broyles

O Line: Castonzo LT, Silatolu LG, Saturday C, Brooks RG, Ijalana RT

D Line: Freeney, Thompson, Nevis, Mathis (Reserves- Paige-Moss or Smith, Mookie, Chapman, Anderson, Addison)

LB: Zach Brown WLB, Angerer MLB, Conner SLB (Reserves- Sims, Wheeler)

CB: Claiborne, Powers, Johnson (Reserves- Thomas, Rucker, Lacey)

SS: Barron, Winston Guy Jr. (UFA)

FS: Bethea, Lefeged

The new and updated if you were the GM (Grigson). Now that we know the search for the next head coach is on, depending on the health (which is improving) and who the next head coach is, will determine if Peyton will be part of the Indy Colts next season, otherwise, they would have completely cleaned house. I still am a firm believer in trading down, as I see plenty of talented prospects coming out now and in the future, especially with a Healthy Manning returning next season.

The Colts should be looking for a defensive minded head coach, especially if they are going to pursue another Lombardi with Manning. The candidate if have been clamoring for, who demands more from his players, runs a 4-3 and would transition well here, allowing Manning to run the offense, is Mike Zimmer!

Cap savings and options for the Colts going into next season, while keeping a healthy Manning in Indy and trading the Luck pick. There are options out there, to rebuild and compete for a SB, while keeping Manning in Indy. First and foremost Manning has to be healthy. I think he will reach 100% before the season starts March 8th. Then there is the question of what to do with all the free agents the Colts have, how to pay for all the rookies, including extra ones from a trade down.

Here is my plan:

•Trade the number one overall pick, get the largest possible bounty of value from the highest bidder, whether that is all draft picks or a combination of picks and players.

•Make the selections or get players in positions of need for the Colts. Ideally think defensively the Colts need another CB, WLB, a true impact NT, an impact SS, and a possible DE for the future. Then later in the draft acquire a Guard or two, a Center, maybe another Receiver of later value.

•Decide what to do with our own. Mathis can sign the franchise tag for $11 million, or he could sign a multi-year deal, somewhere around $7-9 million, for the next 3-5 years. Freeney could have his contract reworked and extended for 3 years as well. He could earn the same amount of money and represent a contract savings of $9 million to be freed up. This would account for roughly $19 million dollars against the cap on the DE position by resigning Mathis and mainly reworking Freeney’s contract! (Freeney $10, Mathis $9)

•Then there is the wide receiver position. Wayne, Garcon, and Gonzaelz are all options going into next season. It would make sense to keep all of them around with Manning returning. Wayne could get a slight pay raise, on a 3 year contract worth $21 million, which is $7 million against the cap, compared to his previous $5. Wayne would probably want $9.. Garcon would also have to get a pay raise and could sign a three year contract worth $12 million ($4 million dollar cap hit). He would probably want around $5.. Gonzalez could be resigned for a veteran minimum contract for one year, if he can prove he is healthy. Between the three we are talking about $12-15 million against the cap, depending on how selfish they really get.

•With Manning, the DE’s, and the WR’s, that’s 17(PM)+9(RM)+11(DF)+7-9(RW)+3-5(PG)+1(AG)= $49-52 million there. Keep in mind these are the positions the Colts need if they are going to keep Manning and make a Super Bowl run. The drafted Rookies account for about $10 Million against the cap, that’s $59-62 million. Certainly if Wayne, Garcon, or Mathis get too high, I could see one of them not being retained even with Manning, more so with Wayne and Mathis, and replacements could be drafted.

Now this is where my inner GM kicks in and I begin to make some sensible, realistic decisions. I would start with bringing my own free agents back, and seeing what cap room was left to pursue anyone who could make an impact on the team. I know chemistry is important for Manning and I would try to bring back Wayne, Garcon, and Gonzo. I would spend a max of $7 million on Wayne, a max of $5 million on Garcon, and a max of $700k (veteran minimum) on Gonzo. This is $13 million on these three, which I think the Colts could live with, but would ideally want lower.

2012 Cap Hit:

Bethea 7, Garcon 5.

This means Brackett, Bullitt, Collins, Painter, Snow, Moala, Diles, Brown and Hughes are all cut for current and future contract savings.

That’s $55 Million thus far on the high contract figures on the Colts Roster, re-working and signing the rest of the players to appropriate deals and dead money will result in another $50-65 Million or so, rookies will account for almost $10 Million, giving the Colts a maximum of $5-10 Million to use in free agency.

They don’t need to be the dream team, just a few appropriate signings to improve the team. Whatever the Colts cannot address through the draft should be targeted in free agency. Reasonable, quality signings!

The next option is how to use the contract exemption in 2012 to save some money, the NFL permits three players to have their contracts exempt to increase roster space, there are several ideal candidates for this very move, Clarke, Addai, Brackett, Bullitt. Financially it makes more sense do use the exemption then outright cut some of these players. If the Colts were to cut three of these players before June 1st the savings wouldn’t kick in as much until 2013 and 2014; however using the exemption after June 1st would allow the Colts to split the savings between the 2012 and 2013 so the money would be balanced, instead of $3.2 in 2012 and $24 Million in 2013, it could be roughly $10 in 2012 and $11 in 2013. With Brackett, Clarke, Addai (Contract Exemptions), Bullit, Moala, Snow, Hughes, Brown all cut to free up cap space.

As far as the draft goes, I mentioned I would look to trade the pick. Ideal candidate would be with Cleveland. All picks 1-4 this year (6 total) and their first and second next year.

Line Up:

D Line: Freeney, Thompson, Nevis, Mathis (Reserves- Paige-Moss or Smith, Mookie, Chapman, Anderson, Addison)

Nice work!I would be happy with that.You always put alot of thought into all of your ideas.I appreciate that.I'm currently reworking my mock draft as well.I'm excited that our comp picks are so high(much higher than i thought).

Nice work!I would be happy with that.You always put alot of thought into all of your ideas.I appreciate that.I'm currently reworking my mock draft as well.I'm excited that our comp picks are so high(much higher than i thought).

Thank you kindly bro! Use mine and do your version!

Thank you kindly bro! Use mine and do your version!

I'm holding out hope we trade the pick.We might trade down twice,because grigson might want to totally reload the team in his vision.There's an outside chance,so i've got my hopes up.But your board looks pretty clean and i can't argue it(well,except the james pick.I would go with montee ball.).

I'm holding out hope we trade the pick.We might trade down twice,because grigson might want to totally reload the team in his vision.There's an outside chance,so i've got my hopes up.But your board looks pretty clean and i can't argue it(well,except the james pick.I would go with montee ball.).

As I would have on the mock, problem is Monte Ball is not coming out.

Here is my plan:

2012 Cap Hit:

Bethea 7, Garcon 5.

Line Up:

Very nicely written up post. Looks proffesional if you ask me. It is very close to what I would do.

1. I would keep Jerry Hughes as I think he still has the potential to be at least our 3rd pass rushing DE. I also might keep Fili Moala and Eric Foster.

2. I got confused when I read the part about Brackett, Bullit, and Clark. What was that about? I would prefer to keep those guys if we can. I would keep Dallas Clark and offer to renegotiate his contract. He has been injured quite a bit lately and I think that he would be willing to help out our salary cap to keep guys like Mathis, Wayne, and Garcon. I still think Clark is an excellent TE and I would prefer that we don't draft a UGA player! The only guy I am willing to have on this team is Cordy Glenn haha.

3. I was wondering why you cut Justin Snow. He is our long snapper so he isn't getting paid that much is he?

My draft would go like this:

Round One (4) - Morris Claiborne, CB LSU

Round One (22) - Brandon Thompson, DT Clemson or best Availabe NT, maybe Michael Brockers

Round Two (34) - Mark Barron, SS Alabama

Round Two (36) - Kelechi Osemele, OG/OT Iowa State

Round Three (65) - Jeff Fuller, WR Texas A&M

Round Three (68) -

Round Four - Leonard Johnson CB Iowa State

Round Four - Sean Spence, OLB Miami

Round Four - Josh Chapman NT

Round Five - Michael Egnew, TE Missouri

Round Five (Compensatory) - Ryan Broyles WR

Round Six - Chris Rainey, RB/WR Florida

Round Seven - Jaymes Brooks or Best Available RG

Round Seven (Compensatory) - Russel Wilson, QB Wisconsin

Every time I try to fill do one of your mock drafts I run out of players to draft lol, too many picks! I just kept the rest of your picks but didn't know who to put in at round 3. The bolded players are the ones that I would pick.

Very nicely written up post. Looks proffesional if you ask me. It is very close to what I would do.

1. I would keep Jerry Hughes as I think he still has the potential to be at least our 3rd pass rushing DE. I also might keep Fili Moala and Eric Foster. I'd keep Joseph Addai too.

2. I got confused when I read the part about Brackett, Bullit, Addai and Clark. What was that about? I would prefer to keep those guys if we can. I would keep Dallas Clark and offer to renegotiate his contract. He has been injured quite a bit lately and I think that he would be willing to help out our salary cap to keep guys like Mathis, Wayne, and Garcon. I still think Clark is an excellent TE and I would prefer that we don't draft a UGA player! The only guy I am willing to have on this team is Cordy Glenn haha.

3. I was wondering why you cut Justin Snow. He is our long snapper so he isn't getting paid that much is he?

1. I would keep Jerry Hughes as I think he still has the potential to be at least our 3rd pass rushing DE. I also might keep Fili Moala and Eric Foster. I'd keep Joseph Addai too.

2. I got confused when I read the part about Brackett, Bullit, Addai and Clark. What was that about? I would prefer to keep those guys if we can. I would keep Dallas Clark and offer to renegotiate his contract. He has been injured quite a bit lately and I think that he would be willing to help out our salary cap to keep guys like Mathis, Wayne, and Garcon. I still think Clark is an excellent TE and I would prefer that we don't draft a UGA player! The only guy I am willing to have on this team is Cordy Glenn haha.

Thank you bro! I put a lot of time and effort into this. It's a shame nobody is giving this any love or even constructive criticism.

I can understand keeping Hughes, I know we both like him in certain packages i.e. the 4-3 Under, I would not keep Moala or resign Foster, I keep Anderson over Foster, and I draft two DT's Thompson/ Chapman... with Nevis and Mookie that is a good rotation of DT's.

That part represents how the Colts can free cap space, as they are very close to the cap as it is. You can use 3 contract exemptions on three players, where the Colts can save 4.5 Million dollars on the book, but thats combined with cutting those other players after June 1, where their cap savings can be split over 2012 and 2013, if the cut is made before June 1, then the savings would mainly be in 2013, so its a way to balance the cap, which makes more sense if you are making a run with Manning.

Ironically Justin Snow's cap hit is 950,000. I think that is far too much!

Check these links out, they are about the Salary Cap and Colts Options:

NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2012-archives/january/breaking-down-colts-key-veteran-contracts.html

NO PROMOTIONAL POSTING ON THE SITE2012-archives/january/rebuilding-the-colts-possible-plans.html

My draft would go like this:

Round One (4) - Morris Claiborne, CB LSU

Round One (22) - Brandon Thompson, DT Clemson or best Availabe NT, maybe Michael Brockers

Round Two (34) - Mark Barron, SS Alabama

Round Two (36) - Kelechi Osemele, OG/OT Iowa State

Round Three (65) - Jeff Fuller, WR Texas A&M

Round Three (68) -

Round Four - Leonard Johnson CB Iowa State

Round Four - Sean Spence, OLB Miami

Round Four - Josh Chapman NT

Round Five - Michael Egnew, TE Missouri

Round Five (Compensatory) - Ryan Broyles WR

Round Six - Chris Rainey, RB/WR Florida

Round Seven - Jaymes Brooks or Best Available RG

Round Seven (Compensatory) - Russel Wilson, QB Wisconsin

Every time I try to fill do one of your mock drafts I run out of players to draft lol, too many picks! I just kept the rest of your picks but didn't know who to put in at round 3. The bolded players are the ones that I would pick.

Your mock and mine are very similar, but, I think if the Colts are going to get Barron they need to reach at 22, as I think Thompson, or Brockers will be around at 34. The CBS Big Board has Osemele at 65, I had him in mine, but I decided that Guards of quality can be had later in the draft. When you reccomended Egnew a few weeks ago, I also liked him, but I think Orsen Charles is a Jermichael Finley type. And Fuller can be had later, so maybe if you put Fuller in the fourth/ fifth, and Osemele at 65, where he is projected, you can put even more Studs on defense early on!

Your mock and mine are very similar, but, I think if the Colts are going to get Barron they need to reach at 22, as I think Thompson, or Brockers will be around at 34. The CBS Big Board has Osemele at 65, I had him in mine, but I decided that Guards of quality can be had later in the draft. When you reccomended Egnew a few weeks ago, I also liked him, but I think Orsen Charles is a Jermichael Finley type. And Fuller can be had later, so maybe if you put Fuller in the fourth/ fifth, and Osemele at 65, where he is projected, you can put even more Studs on defense early on!

I don't know, I've still seen Osemele projected in the late 1st round. I think top of the 2nd would be a good spot for him but I'm not sure. And if we still have Dallas Clark, then there isn't a big need for a starting TE. Michael Egnew is a big athletic TE who needs to work on his blocking, he is more of a receiver right now. Him, Tamme, and Eldrige would be excellent backups I'd say.

And I'm not sure where Jeff Fuller is projected either. Last year he was end of the 1st round so I think getting him with the 1st pick in the 3rd round would be great. It is great to get really good value with all of your draft picks, but sometimes you have to take a player earlier if you really like him. When I do mock drafts, I get the players that I want and try to get good value for them. I might be off in where they are projected to go, but I haven't checked projected rounds in a while.