Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Running Back in Colts history...

RockThatBlue

On 4/11/2016 at 11:50 PM, southwest1 said:

I know Faulk is a great RB & that he played a pivotal role in Manning's development, but I associate him with the Rams not us when 18 started to be on cusp of greatness in 2000; when the NFL started paying attention to what he brought to the table. 

For me, I go with Edge who was so darn good with the ball in his hands on the ground or catching the ball in the backfield. Peyton & Edge were just magical together on the field together. 

Although I agree that ED was fun to watch and was really, really good, I too see him as a Ram and not a Colt.. Particularly after watching his "A Football Life".  He didn't want to be here.  He came because of Ron Meyer (whom I don't like) and was done as soon as he could be done.

Faulk was awesome and I hated to see him go, but I understood so really he is a Ram to me too.

Absolutely loved Edge and he is probably my favorite back of all the Colts and should be my pick as the best Colt RB of all time.  

However, I am going with a weird answer as it gave us a SB championship and that is the duo of Joseph Addai and Dominic Rhodes.  Seems like that combination sort of pioneered the two back system we see today.  Just my thoughts, plus it served the team better than any other.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/11/2016 at 1:05 AM, SteelDragon said:

Marshall Faulk.

I'm sorry, but I cannot vote for a person that bad mouths the Colts franchise as much as Faulk has done.  He wasn't better than Dickerson or James, but bad mouthing the Colts sinks him even further in my opinion.  My vote goes to Edgerrin James.  He was drafted instead of Ricky Williams, therefore, he had huge expectations to live up to to mitigate the disappointment from Colts fans for not drafting the "can't miss" prospect of Williams.  He not only met those expectations, but exceeded them.  JMO

5 minutes ago, LJpalmbeacher said:

He carriethat team as well as energised them and the city.

Plus he was a joy to watch.

Yep! He was the first Great player that Indianapolis traded for. We went from a joke to Division Champs in 1987 when we got him. In 1988 he led the league in rushing as well. Halloween night in 88 vs Denver belongs in the Top 10 all-time as far as individual performances.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yep! He was the first Great player that Indianapolis traded for. We went from a joke to Division Champs in 1987 when we got him. In 1988 he led the league in rushing as well. Halloween night in 88 vs Denver belongs in the Top 10 all-time as far as individual performances.

yep, great memories. I couldn't beleive we traded for him.

On 4/10/2016 at 9:30 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Who would you say was the best running back in Colts history?

Well you know it is the off-season when we are getting these questions. 

Without a doubt, and it is not even close...

Marshall Faulk is the best running back to ever play for the Colts. 

He is also the most complete running back the NFL has ever seen. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Well you know it is the off-season when we are getting these questions. 

Without a doubt, and it is not even close...

Marshall Faulk is the best running back to ever play for the Colts. 

He is also the most complete running back the NFL has ever seen. 

That is a good choice but Dickerson was better. Faulk was a better pass catcher but no where near the RB Dickerson was. Dickerson was basically like a QB, he ran the team. Everyone keyed on him, when he played in LA, same thing. I don't see anyone ever breaking his 2105 Yards rushing in 1 season. In 1988 vs Denver he nearly had 200 Yards at halftime and 4 TD's in our blowout win. When I rank my Top 5 RB's of all-time I have J.Brown, W.Payton, E.Smith, B.Sanders, and Dickerson is #5.

Image result for edgerrin james

Best running back the Colts ever had. James went back to back as the NFL's rushing leader in 1999 and 2000, even edging out Marshall Faulk both times, including in Faulk's MVP season in 2000. (if you want to pick him over Faulk, there's a good reason why). James was averaging around 4.4-4.6 yards in his prime years.

Sad that he was gone by the time they won the SB, it would've been nice to see him get a ring on his finger. 

I'd take him over both Eric Dickerson and Marshall Faulk; both of whom had the best years of their careers with the Rams. 

20 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Image result for edgerrin james

Best running back the Colts ever had. James went back to back as the NFL's rushing leader in 1999 and 2000, even edging out Marshall Faulk both times, including in Faulk's MVP season in 2000. (if you want to pick him over Faulk, there's a good reason why). James was averaging around 4.4-4.6 yards in his prime years.

Sad that he was gone by the time they won the SB, it would've been nice to see him get a ring on his finger. 

I'd take him over both Eric Dickerson and Marshall Faulk; both of whom had the best years of their careers with the Rams. 

Statistically and Longevity wise James was the best so you have a point. Dickerson had his best season in LA with the 2105 but I chose Dickerson because he put the Colts on the map in Indianapolis. We were garbage before we got him and by getting Dickerson nobody could no longer make fun of the Indy Colts. When Faulk played for us he always had nick knack injuries and would miss key games. If it wasn't his toe, it was his pinky, etc.. He was frustrating as a fan to root for. He wussed out in the 1995 Playoffs and sat out which I just cant get over because had he played the Colts would've ran through the AFC that season during the Playoffs. He let me down. James was great but was never the focal point of our team, Peyton and Marvin were more keyed on. Dickerson was always the focal point from 1987-1989 on our team because we had putrid QB's. Once James left we won the SB as well, showing right there he wasn't even needed to win the big one.

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Statistically and Longevity wise James was the best so you have a point. Dickerson had his best season in LA with the 2105 but I chose Dickerson because he put the Colts on the map in Indianapolis. We were garbage before we got him and by getting Dickerson nobody could no longer make fun of the Indy Colts. When Faulk played for us he always had nick knack injuries and would miss key games. If it wasn't his toe, it was his pinky, etc.. He was frustrating as a fan to root for. He wussed out in the 1995 Playoffs and sat out which I just cant get over because had he played the Colts would've ran through the AFC that season during the Playoffs. He let me down. James was great but was never the focal point of our team, Peyton and Marvin were more keyed on. Dickerson was always the focal point from 1987-1989 on our team because we had putrid QB's. Once James left we won the SB as well, showing right there he wasn't even needed to win the big one.

I see your point there. The Colts were a joke in Indy before Dickerson, known solely as the team that John Elway refused to play for. 

I didn't know that about Faulk in 1995. Steve DeBerg played half of a season starting QB with a pin holding his finger together and was still throwing passes. Strange of Faulk to sit out, the Colts probably would've made the SB in that year. They were on a hell of a run late in the season. Harbaugh was in the MVP conversation with Favre and Emmitt Smith that year with his TD/INT ratio and the streak he was having of wins. 

5 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

I see your point there. The Colts were a joke in Indy before Dickerson, known solely as the team that John Elway refused to play for. 

I didn't know that about Faulk in 1995. Steve DeBerg played half of a season starting QB with a pin holding his finger together and was still throwing passes. Strange of Faulk to sit out, the Colts probably would've made the SB in that year. They were on a hell of a run late in the season. Harbaugh was in the MVP conversation with Favre and Emmitt Smith that year with his TD/INT ratio and the streak he was having of wins. 

Staysniak always says on his shows how bad a person Faulk was.

Peyton played some of his best because of Edge being such a threat.

6 minutes ago, Synthetic said:

Yeah Faulk had 1 carry in the Playoffs and then sat out the rest of the Playoffs. I still don't have a clue why? He had turf toe for a while but complained about other injuries too. Then when he went to the Rams he was like the best ever in 1999 and 2000. That has just always bothered me.

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah Faulk had 1 carry in the Playoffs and then sat out the rest of the Playoffs. I still don't have a clue why? He had turf toe for a while but complained about other injuries too. Then when he went to the Rams he was like the best ever in 1999 and 2000. That has just always bothered me.

Edge still out-gained him in yardage both of those seasons, so him being the best ever is subjective. IMO, the Rams success in the Greatest Show On Turf had more to do with Kurt Warner than anything else. Faulk still would've been effective without Warner, but in the SB, Warner won that game where Faulk was shut down entirely (and was shut down again in the 2001 SB) 

Faulk is somewhat difficult to like in the media. Saints fans have never liked him cause the way he acted like a sore loser when the Rams went out in the first round of the 2000 playoffs.

1 minute ago, Synthetic said:

Edge still out-gained him in yardage both of those seasons, so him being the best ever is subjective. IMO, the Rams success in the Greatest Show On Turf had more to do with Kurt Warner than anything else. Faulk still would've been effective without Warner, but in the SB, Warner won that game where Faulk was shut down entirely (and was shut down again in the 2001 SB) 

Faulk is somewhat difficult to like in the media. Saints fans have never liked him cause the way he acted like a sore loser when the Rams went out in the first round of the 2000 playoffs.

I have never been a big fan of Faulk because of 95 mainly but I always thought he was a tad overrated as well. Some people were even saying he was better than Barry Sanders which to me was just ridiculous.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That is a good choice but Dickerson was better. Faulk was a better pass catcher but no where near the RB Dickerson was. Dickerson was basically like a QB, he ran the team. Everyone keyed on him, when he played in LA, same thing. I don't see anyone ever breaking his 2105 Yards rushing in 1 season. In 1988 vs Denver he nearly had 200 Yards at halftime and 4 TD's in our blowout win. When I rank my Top 5 RB's of all-time I have J.Brown, W.Payton, E.Smith, B.Sanders, and Dickerson is #5.

Disagree. Marshall Faulk was a quarterback on the field. He understood the game better than most of the quarterbacks who ever played. 

Marshall Faulk was the most complete back to ever play in the NFL. 

Dickerson was a talented runner, but no where near the complete back as Faulk. 

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Disagree. Marshall Faulk was a quarterback on the field. He understood the game better than most of the quarterbacks who ever played. 

He was Great and deserves to be in the HOFame but he cost us a trip to the SB in 1995 by not playing in the Playoffs and his injury wasn't even season ending like an Achilles or Knee. Then he goes to the Rams and he's Superman in 1999. Just rubbed me the wrong way.

23 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He was Great and deserves to be in the HOFame but he cost us a trip to the SB in 1995 by not playing in the Playoffs and his injury wasn't even season ending like an Achilles or Knee. Then he goes to the Rams and he's Superman in 1999. Just rubbed me the wrong way.

He injured his knee in 95 and had surgery following the playoff win over San Diego. The game where Crockett went off for about a buck-fifty and two scores. 

3 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

He injured his knee in 95 and had surgery following the playoff win over San Diego.

He played all 16 games in 95 so not sure why he couldn't play in the Playoffs? Yes he had an issue with his knee but it wasn't like he blew his knee out and couldn't play. Phillip Rivers played in the AFC Title Game vs the Pats in 2007 with a torn ACL. Emmitt Smith played with a separated shoulder at NY so his team could get HFA. I just think Faulk was soft, he was a Great player but couldn't play with injury like a lot of backs could.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He played all 16 games in 95 so not sure why he couldn't play in the Playoffs? Yes he had an issue with his knee but it wasn't like he blew his knee out and couldn't play. Phillip Rivers played in the AFC Title Game vs the Pats in 2007 with a torn ACL. Emmitt Smith played with a separated shoulder at NY so his team could get HFA. I just think Faulk was soft, he was a Great player but couldn't play with injury like a lot of backs could.

Stop making stuff up.

Faulk had surgery on his left knee following the San Diego playoff game.

He did not want to be traded, but Bill Polian did not want to pay him.

Those are the facts. Try to stick to them. 

57 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Lenny Moore begs to differ.

Heck, so does Tom Matte, but he wasn't as good.

All three (Dickerson, Faulk, James) were great but I think Edge was the best Colt (Indy Era) because he was a primary cog in Peyton's legendary offense.  Not to mention he was well on his way to a third straight rushing title until he got hurt.  Regardless, he rebounded from his injury and forged a hof career.  

Check out the trade Jim Irsay made as GM to land Dickerson.  

Per Sports Illustrated:

"Three teams were in on the Dickerson deal, which involved a damnably confusing realignment of talent, the repercussions of which are sure to affect the league for years and years, or at least until Mark Gastineau's next sack. The mastermind behind the blockbuster was Jim Irsay, the 28-year-old general manager of the Colts, who also happens to be the son of owner Robert Irsay. Follow this: Indianapolis traded the rights to rookie linebacker Cornelius Bennett, a No. 1 draft choice out of Alabama whom it had not been able to sign, to Buffalo for running back Greg Bell and the Bills' first-round draft picks in 1988 and '89 and their second-round pick in '89. The Colts then sent all they'd received from Buffalo, along with their own first-round draft pick in '88, their second-round choices in '88 and '89 and running back Owen Gill, to the Los Angeles Rams, who in turn packed Dickerson off to Indianapolis."

It's also worth mentioning that he gave Seattle two first-round picks for Freddie Young a year later.  That's three straight 1sts and two straight 2nds between 88-90 for five years of Dickerson and a bust at linebacker.  lol

10 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

Stop making stuff up.

Faulk had surgery on his left knee following the San Diego playoff game.

He did not want to be traded, but Bill Polian did not want to pay him.

Those are the facts. Try to stick to them. 

I remember it being turf toe.  If Faulk had one specific carry in the AFCCG I think they go to the SB.  When warren got tripped up by his shoelaces, had it been Faulk that wouldn't happen and I think they win it. 

He was too soft in Indy.   

Edge led the league in rushing as a rookie and the following year.  Dickerson was the most talented though.