Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Running Back in Colts history...

RockThatBlue

I know Faulk is a great RB & that he played a pivotal role in Manning's development, but I associate him with the Rams not us when 18 started to be on cusp of greatness in 2000; when the NFL started paying attention to what he brought to the table. 

For me, I go with Edge who was so darn good with the ball in his hands on the ground or catching the ball in the backfield. Peyton & Edge were just magical together on the field together. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best RB to ever play on the Colts = Eric Dickerson.

Best Colts RB ever = Edgerrin James

I say Edge because he is truly HOF worthy and he played his greatest years here. Faulk's and Dickerson's stays in Indy were too short for the title of best COLTS RB of all time.  

On 4/11/2016 at 10:55 PM, jimmy g said:

I was going to say Lenny Moore, but you're  probably right about Dickerson.

Peyton had his best all round game when he had Edge, because the threat of run was there, and left his receivers open.

I saw Lenny Moore, he qualifies, u had to see him out of backfield catching bombs in stride from Unitas for , well I remember a 72 yarder, Thing of beauty 

a colt for 11 years

some seasons averaged 7 yards a carry or more

Rookie of year 56, pro bowl 7 times, In HOF

During the 58 & 59 champ years had both out of backfield & split out wide

1958- 40 receptions / 687 yards / 7 Yds 

1959 -  47 receptions / 846 yards /6  TDs  

5 hours ago, Jim H. said:

Tom Matte.

very good 12 year career but not great , best known for 3 TDS Vs Browns in NFL champ game in year they lost to Jets in SB but in that SB game he set a still record 10+ yards per carry, but only carried the ball 11 or 12 times 

was also good as kickoff returner and receiver out of the backfield but was no Lenny Moore

he also subbed rarely as ER QB when Unitas and whomever was his backup that year both were out

11 minutes ago, bayone said:

very good 12 year career but not great , best known for 3 TDS Vs Browns in NFL champ game in year they lost to Jets in SB but in that SB game he set a still record 10+ yards per carry, but only carried the ball 11 or 12 times 

was also good as kickoff returner and receiver out of the backfield but was no Lenny Moore

he also subbed rarely as ER QB when Unitas and whomever was his backup that year both were out

Gary Cuozzo was Unitas backup. I believe Unitas had tendonitis, Cuozzo had a broken something or other.  Matte played with the plays taped to his arm- first any has done that.

15 hours ago, VDB said:

Terrell Davis.......

oh darn, I, drunk and wondered into another teams forum again 

I wish we could have had Terrell Davis in reality playing for the Colts. Man, I loved his running style. He knew when to wait for his blockers, hit the hole, & run toward daylight baby. Great vision [apart from the migraines that is] solid balance, & he know just when to stop, stutter step, & make that 1 cut that got him in the end zone. 

You can't teach that: Awareness & when to hit the accelerator. Davis just knew when to wait & when to find another gear. A short career, but a decorated one with hardware. 

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

I wish we could have had Terrell Davis in reality playing for the Colts. Man, I loved his running style. He knew when to wait for his blockers, hit the hole, & run toward daylight baby. Great vision [apart from the migraines that is] solid balance, & he know just when to stop, stutter step, & make that 1 cut that got him in the end zone. 

You can't teach that: Awareness & when to hit the accelerator. Davis just knew when to wait & when to find another gear. A short career, but a decorated one with hardware. 

IMO Shanahan had a hand in cutting Davis's career short. He ran him way too much. He even used him while Terrell was suffering from migraines. As good as Denver's O-line was there was no need to run him into the ground IMO.

15 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

IMO Shanahan had a hand in cutting Davis's career short. He ran him way too much. He even used him while Terrell was suffering from migraines. As good as Denver's O-line was there was no need to run him into the ground IMO.

Mike did indeed use Davis as a decoy vs the Packers in the SB. In this case, it was justified in order for GB's DC to honor Terrell's presence on the field. Mike used Davis to lessen the burden on Elway in much the same way CJ Anderson was used to reduce the wear & tear on Manning's body for his 2nd SB victory as well. 

I would agree that Mike learned on Davis in the late 90's down the stretch CC1, but nothing like owner Jerry Jones ran Demarco Murray into the ground in Dallas, TX just to finally reach the playoffs after a prolonged drought. JMO my friend. 

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

That's how it was back then though. Teams didn't use the running back by committee like they do now.

It was just a bad freak injury. 

2 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Good post. TD had "it." I really do wish his career wasn't cut so short. 

Also, I apologize for he small thread hijack!!!!!!. :flowers:

55 minutes ago, VDB said:

Good post. TD had "it." I really do wish his career wasn't cut so short. 

Also, I apologize for he small thread hijack!!!!!!. :flowers:

No problem VDB. I have a tendency to do that myself from time to time. I agree with ya, Davis had the goods man. He was definitely legit & he earned my respect everytime he lined up before before the ball was snapped. 

On 4/11/2016 at 9:30 PM, RockThatBlue said:

Who would you say was the best running back in Colts history?

The most gifted back in Indianapolis Colts history is Marshall Faulk. It's not even close. 

Marshall is the most complete running back to ever play in the NFL.

1 hour ago, BlueShoe said:

The most gifted back in Indianapolis Colts history is Marshall Faulk. It's not even close. 

Marshall is the most complete running back to ever play in the NFL.

James had seven years with the Colts, and Faulk 5. Both were great back, but Faulk is remembered more as a Ram during their glory days. James in more identified with Indy, and Dickerson is definitely more a Ram. 

2 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

James had seven years with the Colts, and Faulk 5. Both were great back, but Faulk is remembered more as a Ram during their glory days. James in more identified with Indy, and Dickerson is definitely more a Ram. 

I am quite aware of who they all are. I watched every game they each played as Colts.

My answer is still the same. Marshall Faulk is the most gifted back to ever play for the Indianapolis Colts. And no other running back is a close second.

11 hours ago, jimmy g said:

Gary Cuozzo was Unitas backup. I believe Unitas had tendonitis, Cuozzo had a broken something or other.  Matte played with the plays taped to his arm- first any has done that.

Thanks  I do remember that name now of backup, good catch, didnt know that was first time a QB had plays on wrist

7 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I am quite aware of who they all are. I watched every game they each played as Colts.

My answer is still the same. Marshall Faulk is the most gifted back to ever play for the Indianapolis Colts. And no other running back is a close second.

We all have an opinion, no wrong answer here. 

20 hours ago, bayone said:

Tossed his name out there for all you youngsters who believe Colts history began in the 80's.  :^)  Matte (The "Garbage Can" running back) was a warrior in his day.

1 hour ago, Jim H. said:

Tossed his name out there for all you youngsters who believe Colts history began in the 80's.  :^)  Matte (The "Garbage Can" running back) was a warrior in his day.

man I'm 62 & grew up with Unitas to Berry & Moore,Art Donovan , alan ameche ( most famous TD of all in greatest game OT )  marchetti etc etc

& knew that was Mattes nickname

" LOVED THOSE OLD DAYS "

Great Article

9 minutes ago, bayone said:

man I'm 62 & grew up with Unitas to Berry & Moore,Art Donovan , alan ameche ( most famous TD of all in greatest game OT )  marchetti etc etc

& knew that was Mattes nickname

" LOVED THOSE OLD DAYS "

Great Article

I'll be 62 in a couple weeks. Born in Baltimore, raised in Delta Pa.  In 78, Married a Hoosier, and moved to Indy in 1980. Colts followed me!

I believe that 65 game was the reason the NFL raised the Goal Posts.  Colts were robbed of the Championship that year!

12 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I'll be 62 in a couple weeks. Born in Baltimore, raised in Delta Pa.  In 78, Married a Hoosier, and moved to Indy in 1980. Colts followed me!

I believe that 65 game was the reason the NFL raised the Goal Posts.  Colts were robbed of the Championship that year!

Born in Brooklyn, Older Brother brought me up a Colt & ingrained then into heart & soul

Now live in lion country

moved to Indy in 1980. Colts followed me!  Great Line

till another time - i must go now & many appointments Thursday then Springsteen Thursday night , hes doing the river tour , playing 3 hrs straight as its the album The River's 35 Birthday I beleive

3 hours ago, jimmy g said:

It was. I think it was Chandler that kicked the tying FG that was actually no good. Would have been another NFL Championship for the Colts. 65 was another lost Championship like 1967 when we were 11-1-2 and didn't make the playoffs. With a couple of breaks, the Colts could have won in 58, 59, 64, 65, 67, 68, and 70. In 71 they lost in the AFC Championship game to the Dolphins. This was a very dominant era of Colts football, even with the Lombardi Packers around. They were the earlier New England Patriots of the era, except they didn't cheat. 

7 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Naaaaaah better known as colts!

If it's just Colts, you have to go with Lenny Moore. All those guys mentioned were good, but there is only one Lenny. 

Lenny is going to be at a bar in Bel Air MD on April 28th signing autographs. For all you Hoosiers out there, it's a cheap flight to Baltimore on SW . Then you can watch those red hot O's and have some steamed crabs !

11 hours ago, The Old Crow said:

If it's just Colts, you have to go with Lenny Moore. All those guys mentioned were good, but there is only one Lenny. 

Lenny is going to be at a bar in Bel Air MD on April 28th signing autographs. For all you Hoosiers out there, it's a cheap flight to Baltimore on SW . Then you can watch those red hot O's and have some steamed crabs !

I'll ask my sister to go and take pics for me. Delta's only 30 miles from Bel Air.  What bar?

11 minutes ago, jimmy g said:

I'll ask my sister to go and take pics for me. Delta's only 30 miles from Bel Air.  What bar?

510 Johnnys in Bel Air. It's a NFL draft party. I think Crockett Gilmore and Zadarius Smith are there also from the Ravens. I think it's an autograph package for all three for 40 bucks or something. 

I would be going to this one but there is another in Dundalk that has Steve Smith and Brandon Williams plus unlimited steamed crabs, crab cakes, and beer. I already have three Lenny autographs, but I can't resist the steamed crabs and Natty Boh's !

3 minutes ago, The Old Crow said:

510 Johnnys in Bel Air. It's a NFL draft party. I think Crockett Gilmore and Zadarius Smith are there also from the Ravens. I think it's an autograph package for all three for 40 bucks or something. 

I would be going to this one but there is another in Dundalk that has Steve Smith and Brandon Williams plus unlimited steamed crabs, crab cakes, and beer. I already have three Lenny autographs, but I can't resist the steamed crabs and Natty Boh's !

Thanks!

• 11 months later...

I would like to say Faulk. But he didn't play for us long enough and he will unfortunately always be remembered as a ram. Same with Eric Dickerson, except he played as long with the colts as he did with the Rams. He was the first real star in Indy. It's between Edge and Eric Dickerson for me with Lenny Moore in there somewhere too.

On 4/11/2016 at 10:22 PM, rockywoj said:

Best RB to ever play on the Colts = Eric Dickerson.

Best Colts RB ever = Edgerrin James

I say Edge because he is truly HOF worthy and he played his greatest years here. Faulk's and Dickerson's stays in Indy were too short for the title of best COLTS RB of all time.  

It still bums me out that we won our Super Bowl the year after we released Edge. He was such an integral part of that offense becoming the juggernaut that it was, he deserved to be up on that podium as much as anyone.