Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Build Team To Beat Texans?

Case

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You absolutely worry about the teams in your division what are you talking about. You Play them more then anybody every single year. You have to beat them to win the division and make the playoffs. It's pretty simple

Yes the team plays each division twice a year and winning the division guarantees a home playoff game. But the fact of the matter is you do not build a team to beat another team. Like in your example build a team to beat the Texans. The Texans are 2 of 16 games. And the assumption of, if you can beat the Texans you can beat other teams is not accurate, because no two teams are a like.

You build a team based on a philosphy. You don't pay attention to the other team in your division until you start developing a game plan for them. Kind of that whole, "One game at a time." or, "We need to get back to playing {insert NFL team name} football."

Especially one with the talent that the texans have. They have beat us in years past with a less talented team then what they got now. They are very scary

Of course divisional rivals are more of a threat because of familiarity with us(colts),but that doesn't mean they can actually win enough games to challenge us for the south.The texans usually win 8-9 games a year...tops.We usually win 10-12(with manning).

When has a coach ever said they are building their team to beat another team?

You hear it all the time. And by building your team to beat the texans just means get some run stoppers, bettter secondary.That can be said about any team. The trxans went out and got a better pass rush and a better secondary to try and control our offense. Like i said ur reading into way to much.

Of course divisional rivals are more of a threat because of familiarity with us(colts),but that doesn't mean they can actually win enough games to challenge us for the south.The texans usually win 8-9 games a year...tops.We usually win 10-12(with manning).

This isn't the same texans team from years past what don't you understand about that?

Don't start that crap again or i'll report you.You always try to derail threads.

Just a point, but that was a threat. That does not seem to be particularly compatible with the rules of this forum, or the kind of behavior expected here. No making threats about reporting others please.

This isn't the same texans team from years past what don't you understand about that?

Same stuff they always say."This year is gonna be different.We've learned your blueprints...blah...blah...blah".The only reason they WON this year is simple(NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG).

Just a point, but that was a threat. That does not seem to be particularly compatible with the rules of this forum, or the kind of behavior expected here. No making threats about reporting others please.

I don't want to get into a different topic and derail a thread.That's 'why' i stated it.If he wants to discuss luck/cousins,then we have the draft section for that debate.They tried to get me into trouble yesterday,so i don't want to repeat the same mistake.

Sorry...........

You hear it all the time. And by building your team to beat the texans just means get some run stoppers, bettter secondary.That can be said about any team. The trxans went out and got a better pass rush and a better secondary to try and control our offense. Like i said ur reading into way to much.

No, they went out and got a better pass rush and secondary because they were last in the league in pass defense in 2010. It wasn't to contain the Colts it was because they had a lousy pass defense and the front 4 did not generate a lot of QB pressures.

Same stuff they always say."This year is gonna be different.We've learned your blueprints...blah...blah...blah".The only reason they WON this year is simple(NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MMMMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGG).

Ok

No, they went out and got a better pass rush and secondary because they were last in the league in pass defense in 2010. It wasn't to contain the Colts it was because they had a lousy pass defense and the front 4 did not generate a lot of QB pressures.

Yes they did. They had a decent pass rush with mario and others.

So ur saying the trxans have never once discussed ways to stop manning in the offseason. They have never said hey this guy could really help us out vs manning.

No,there not a threat to us.With a healthy manning we win the division and its not even close.The texans weakness is shaub and next year throw in a QB controversy with yates,and they're not even a threat at all.They only reason they won the south this year is simple...we had no MANNING.We'll resume pounding them like cheap steak next year.Heck,they're not even second next year!The titans have j.locker and he looks like a threat.

I shake my head in disbelief at most things that you present on here. This post is no different.

Likewise.Are you guys aware that others' may have various and vastly different opinions and viewpoints?

Opinions r fine but when u don't have all the facts about a topic or don't know anything about it or are extremely bias ur opinion isn't very good.

Opinions r fine but when u don't have all the facts about a topic or don't know anything about it or are extremely bias ur opinion isn't very good.

I gave you facts.Go google them yourself.He's missed 16 games in a period of 5 years...that's a full year of missed football.His injuries are spotty and this is 'WHY' he's labeled 'INJURY PRONE'.Its not hard to understand.What don't i understand about the great texan team?I fail to see a viable threat from them.Sure we may split our games head-2-head,but so what?We'll finish 12-4 and they'll go 8-8 or 9-7 tops.How is that a threat?

The Texans coming into next year will be one of the top teams in the NFL. Defensively they are scary, especially that D line, offensively they have a RB that lead the NFL in rushing not too long ago, one of the best WR's, and probably the best O line in the AFC South. Its really hard to point out any weaknesses.

I look at the Texans like our 2009 Colts. New D Coord brings alot of excitement that the players are doing things differently than they have in the past. Teams will figure the defense out and attack it. They played in a very soft division this year with two horrible teams Jags and us. They beat the Titans that weren't that good anyway.

6 of there 10 wins were against teams without a winning record and 4 of there losses were against teams they had no business loosing to. (Titans, Colts, Carolina, Oakland)

I know they lost Schaub part way through the season, but that should never be a surprise. He has only played one healthy season his entire career. So how great is there Oline at pass blocking?

They have the heads up for the division next year because we are in rebuilding mode. However, if Manning is healthy and plays well anything can happen.

Likewise.Are you guys aware that others' may have various and vastly different opinions and viewpoints?

Very much aware of that and that is what makes for interesting debate. But with all due respect, most of your ideas on here are just simply incorrect. There will be no QB controversy in Houston - Schaub is the unquestioned QB of that team. Calling them no threat to a Colts team with Manning is just bit optimistic. And using the fact that the Titans have Locker as evidence that Houston will finish 3rd in the division is funny. What has he done to suggest stardom awaits?

Yes they did. They had a decent pass rush with mario and others.

No, they were tied with the Colts for 23 in the NFL with 30 sacks
So ur saying the trxans have never once discussed ways to stop manning in the offseason. They have never said hey this guy could really help us out vs manning.

I am sure they did discuss ways to stop Manning. I can nearly guarantee they did not draft anyone or sign any free agents because they thought he could "stop Manning".

You do not build a team to beat a single team, that does not lead to a winning games consistently.

CD..

I think that since Houston has blown us out in the season opener the last 2 years..

...we'd better consider them the No.1 team we have to beat...and get players who can block and beat them...

..Like the Bears gear everything to beating the Packers...

Very much aware of that and that is what makes for interesting debate. But with all due respect, most of your ideas on here are just simply incorrect. There will be no QB controversy in Houston - Schaub is the unquestioned QB of that team. Calling them no threat to a Colts team with Manning is just bit optimistic. And using the fact that the Titans have Locker as evidence that Houston will finish 3rd in the division is funny. What has he done to suggest stardom awaits?

Have you seen him play at all this year(locker)?He would've givin' both dalton/newton a run for their money.He played very well.No,i don't think schaub is the unquestioned starter of houston.In all due respect,yates did what he could not do...guide them to the playoffs.So there's doubt.

P.S.Yes,i regret the archie manning thread.So i recant.

Have you seen him play at all this year(locker)?He would've givin' both dalton/newton a run for their money.He played very well.No,i don't think schaub is the unquestioned starter of houston.In all due respect,yates did what he could not do...guide them to the playoffs.So there's doubt.

P.S.Yes,i regret the archie manning thread.So i recant.

More of the same. Locker threw a whole 66 passes this year and only completed just over 50% of those. Saying he would have been comparble to Newton or Dalton is misguided as there is simply not enough evidence to suggest that.

With regards to Schaub / Yates - I am sorry but you are simply wrong. And the logic that Houston was in the playoffs because of Yates is again, misguided. He was 2-3 as a starter and was awful in the playoffs. I think it is more astute to say they got to the playoffs because of the work Schaub did before his injury than anything Yates did. Plus the fact that the division was not too good.

I posted in another thread how I feel the texans could be the most complete team in the nfl and without a doubt in the afc south. Instead of teams building their teams to beat us in the south we must now all build to best the texans. Here's my post

They are cleaning house Ryan is bringing people in that he wants and they are going to have to build this team to best the texans.

The texans are prob the most compete team in the nfl when healthy. We need to rebuild, change philosophy to get big run stopping d players in here and become a good defensive team while also stayingg the offense powerhouse we are use to. Getting luck is a good step in the right direction to secure the qb position in Indy. Then we just build through the draft and FA these next couple years. I think we will see the best colts team we have seen (most complete on defense and offense) in a long time. I think Irsay, Grigson learned a lot from the manning era. You can have the goat at qb but if you don't put a complete team on the field you won't compete well in the playoffs.

I am very excited for the future with all new coaches and assistants

Do you think the texans healthy are the team to beat next year?

:edit: build team to BEAT texans. Typing on iPhone sorry for typo if mod could fix title that would be great.

I'm in agreement and this means more emphasis on the defense. We have got to be able to stop the run without putting 8 in the box. Our corners must be better and we need to put more pressure with the front 4.

Texans might be the best team on paper. But IMO they always find ways to lose important games...

I dont think building a team to beat the Texans is necessary... Every team causes different problems for for each team. For example, we could beat the Texans(supposedly best team in nfl) but lose next week to the Saints or panthers. Every team is different. There is no need to build for one exact team. Donnt forget the phrase "any given sunday"

More of the same. Locker threw a whole 66 passes this year and only completed just over 50% of those. Saying he would have been comparble to Newton or Dalton is misguided as there is simply not enough evidence to suggest that.

With regards to Schaub / Yates - I am sorry but you are simply wrong. And the logic that Houston was in the playoffs because of Yates is again, misguided. He was 2-3 as a starter and was awful in the playoffs. I think it is more astute to say they got to the playoffs because of the work Schaub did before his injury than anything Yates did. Plus the fact that the division was not too good.

You've made me see the light!How could've i been so wrong and blind to the texan dominance?!I'm so glad that a forum football genius like yourself was able to guide me to the error of my ways!Thank you!Thank you a thousand times more!

ATENTION!ATTENTION...EVERYONE!I'm now a huge texan fan and firm believer in their football might!I have jskinnz to thank for this!THANK YOU KIND SIR!I will never doubt you again!

P.S.My superbowl prediction for next year!The texans win 70-0,because the other team refused to play them out of fear!

Our awful team went 1-1 against them this year. Manning rarely had trouble beating them, and he'll be back next year, at the healthiest he's been in 4 years. I'm not too worried about the Texans. But yes, they are better than before.

Thank god you're here DQ!We need some logical insight in these troubled times.Now they're trying to talk about texan dominance and how they own us.LOL!My belly is still itchy from rolling around on the floor laughing!LOL!

You've made me see the light!How could've i been so wrong and blind to the texan dominance?!I'm so glad that a forum football genius like yourself was able to guide me to the error of my ways!Thank you!Thank you a thousand times more!

ATENTION!ATTENTION...EVERYONE!I'm now a huge texan fan and firm believer in their football might!I have jskinnz to thank for this!THANK YOU KIND SIR!I will never doubt you again!

P.S.My superbowl prediction for next year!The texans win 70-0,because the other team refused to play them out of fear!

You a funny, funny guy

CD..

I think that since Houston has blown us out in the season opener the last 2 years..

...we'd better consider them the No.1 team we have to beat...and get players who can block and beat them...

So what? The first time it happened the Colts still won the division. The 2nd time it happened they won the division that is proof of what exactly?
..Like the Bears gear everything to beating the Packers...

Well they haven't, but for the sake of the arugment let's say they have.... how has that worked out for them?

There are no easy games or teams in the NFL, thus the statement, "On any given day..."

I really believe teams approach from both sides of the issue. Teams definitely pursue improving their weakness with the best talent they can find through draft or FA within cap restrictions. If faced with two possible choices at two different areas of the team and only being able to take one, then most teams will protect against divisional rivals first, simply because they play them twice each year.

In the Colts division you better be able to contend with the run or Foster, Jones-Drew, and C. Johnson is going to give you nightmares. Six times in one season alone. Rookie corners and solid cover 2 can protect against the QB's, but you better prepare for the run.

Now if I'm a team in the same division with Brees, Newton, Ryan, and Freeman guess where my priority might be. One must still prepare for all phases of the game, but if it forced to go one minute direction or the other, then the teams you face the most dictate your top priorities.