Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

:Lots of talk about ILB being a priority....

theanarchist

I sure hope that Grigson doesn't ignore the huge issue we have with Rush LB but from all the stuff I'm reading it sure looks like they believe ILB is a big need and there isnt a lot of talk about Rush LB? We need a pass rush. We didnt have one last year. Mathis was our best rusher and he was coming off of an awful injury and multiple surgeries. I guess Mathis could return to form this year and get 15 sacks but at age 35 with a repaired achilles I'd say odds are against it. We have no one else on in the OLB mix who would give hope of providing a pass rush. Trent Cole? I've seen all I need to see from him. He was never an elite rusher and his better days have passed him by 4 seasons ago.

I also seem to be hearing a lot of talk that the offensive line is coming along and it seem from what I'm hearing and reading that they think the current mix might be adequate. I'm not the only fan that thinks that if we go ILB with the 18th pick and pass up on an elite OL or pass rusher we would be making a huge mistake. At this point with where this roster is, this team needs a young pass rushing talent and more youthful studs along the offensive line. We cant keep wasting first round picks on busts and passing on needs for "best player available". At some point you have to look at the roster and say, we need to address this position with some high draft picks. I'm not saying that we wont but I just get this feeling that ILB has become this big priority.

I know, I know, I'm jumping the gun. No one knows what is going to happen on draft day til it happens.

13 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I know, I know, I'm jumping the gun. No one knows what is going to happen on draft day til it happens.

Still, it's what we do.  I gather you took your O-line "coming along" comment from the recent Irsay interview.  He said we need to address center but feels we're potentially okay everywhere else.  There's maybe one or two FA centers worth trying out, but I think we'll grab a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd. 

Couldn't agree more with needing a quality pass rusher.  Like Pagano said, Von Miller's don't grow on trees.  Hopefully the scouting department and Grigson really get the right fit this time.

Also agree that even though our ILB situation is iffy, it's not as important.  We have guys on the roster that can step up given the chance.

The bottom line is Grigs really needs to nail the 1st round pick. I don`t really care what position it is other than a WR. Hopefully, it`s an impact plug and play day one starter. Also, hoping Ragland is not the choice, but if he was and produced somewhat like say a P. Willis I`d have no issues. Ragland could be that nasty player the Colts lack, but have my doubts.

24 minutes ago, MPStack said:

The bottom line is Grigs really needs to nail the 1st round pick. I don`t really care what position it is other than a WR. Hopefully, it`s an impact plug and play day one starter. Also, hoping Ragland is not the choice, but if he was and produced somewhat like say a P. Willis I`d have no issues. Ragland could be that nasty player the Colts lack, but have my doubts.

Yeah, I have no idea what we'll do in this draft either. I finally gave up on doing mocks because I had us all over the place. The more I read, the more possibilities I see.

It's going to be crucial for Grigson to nail this thing

39 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Agree

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Still, it's what we do.  I gather you took your O-line "coming along" comment from the recent Irsay interview.  He said we need to address center but feels we're potentially okay everywhere else.  There's maybe one or two FA centers worth trying out, but I think we'll grab a rookie in the 2nd or 3rd. 

Couldn't agree more with needing a quality pass rusher.  Like Pagano said, Von Miller's don't grow on trees.  Hopefully the scouting department and Grigson really get the right fit this time.

Also agree that even though our ILB situation is iffy, it's not as important.  We have guys on the roster that can step up given the chance.

Yes, this still concerns me. I think we have some guys in the mix at RG and RT that are either guys that still need some development or in the case of Reitz, he's a nice player and has some good games, versatile but my point is that is Irsay and Grigson and Pagano really satisfied that this group can be the protectors of Andrew Luck going forward are isnt time to really invest and get some better talent in there?

I know we have a coaching change on the offensive line. Maybe that will help as well. But, I would think that after last season's battering that Luck took this team would understand that protecting the QB is priority #1. And rushing the QB should be priority #2. It wasnt just Luck who got beat to hell. It was every QB we had and then had to go pick up street FA's. It's time to fix this problem and stop ignoring it.

10 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Yes, this still concerns me. I think we have some guys in the mix at RG and RT that are either guys that still need some development or in the case of Reitz, he's a nice player and has some good games, versatile but my point is that is Irsay and Grigson and Pagano really satisfied that this group can be the protectors of Andrew Luck going forward are isnt time to really invest and get some better talent in there?

I know we have a coaching change on the offensive line. Maybe that will help as well. But, I would think that after last season's battering that Luck took this team would understand that protecting the QB is priority #1. And rushing the QB should be priority #2. It wasnt just Luck who got beat to hell. It was every QB we had and then had to go pick up street FA's. It's time to fix this problem and stop ignoring it.

Irsay said they are looking to pick up a Center and a Guard in the draft. It's not just the center position.

"Center, I think, we're looking at carefully.  I do think that to add a center and another guard/tackle, that sort of thing, will be dictated on the best player that we can get when you're looking at the [draft].  But I think we have the components."

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/3/23/11292950/jim-irsay-talks-about-offensive-line-says-colts-are-looking-to-address-center-position

Just now, krunk said:

Irsay said they are looking to pick up a Center and a Guard in the draft. It's not just the center position.

"Center, I think, we're looking at carefully.  I do think that to add a center and another guard/tackle, that sort of thing, will be dictated on the best player that we can get when you're looking at the [draft].  But I think we have the components."

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/3/23/11292950/jim-irsay-talks-about-offensive-line-says-colts-are-looking-to-address-center-position

Scares me with Grigson. As I said in my original post. There comes a time you have to stop looking at best available player regardless of position and pick for need. If we had a roster that was much more deep than what we have now you can afford to go "best player available" but I think if you are sitting at say 18 and your top player on the board is, lets say WR, and the third best player on your board is OT. You have to go OT.

These are the ILBs on the roster I see a major need at ILB

Sylvestre, Junior is this the guy you want starting in a playoff game ?

Moore, Sio hasn't showed he is the same player after his injury

Jackson, Edwin who ...

Jackson, D'Qwell  will we get lucky and get another good year from the vet and will he be suspended

Irving, Nate seems to have the injury bug

Herrera, Amarlo I doubt anyone wants to see him starting in the playoffs

I see a few young unproven guys a few guys we a hoping gets back to form and a solid vet closing in on the end of his career . It's time to draft the stud ILB of the future . How many of those player you expect to be on the roster after this season ? 

There has been a lot of talk about improving the line esp. the center . See a story every other day about colts staff working out lineman .

Rush LB I see a need there hope we don't reach none of the early prospects excite me at all .

Just now, theanarchist said:

Scares me with Grigson. As I said in my original post. There comes a time you have to stop looking at best available player regardless of position and pick for need. If we had a roster that was much more deep than what we have now you can afford to go "best player available" but I think if you are sitting at say 18 and your top player on the board is, lets say WR, and the third best player on your board is OT. You have to go OT.

I don't believe we share the same belief on the subject, but not to take this a whole lot further when you hear the words coming from the owner do you really think it won't get accomplished?

Just now, B~Town said:

Jackson, Edwin who ...

Jackson, D'Qwell  will we get lucky and get another good year from the vet and will he be suspended

I see a few young unproven guys a few guys we a hoping gets back to form and a solid vet closing in on the end of his career . It's time to draft the stud ILB of the future . How many of those player you expect to be on the roster after this season ? 

There has been a lot of talk about improving the line esp. the center . See a story every other day about colts staff working out lineman .

Rush LB I see a need there hope we don't reach none of the early prospects excite me at all .

There are a ton of names on that list. DQ is the leader of the defense. Moore and Irving should be able to compete for the starting spot. Using a first round pick on an ILB at this stage, in my opinion, is not smart. We have a huge issue at Rush LB. I agree, don't reach. Im just tired of seeing our QB's get killed. I know your QB can get killed even with a great OL but we killed 3 of em last year. I'd say thats indicator there is a big problem.

1 minute ago, krunk said:

I don't believe we share the same belief on the subject, but not to take this a whole lot further when you hear the words coming from the owner do you really think it won't get accomplished?

I hope it does. But, we'll have to wait until draft day to see how it plays out.

10 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

The way Grigsons scoring system works he would take the OL in the scenario you posed. Why? Because #1 and #3 is not that far apart anyway.  Using the words that came directly from Grigson he said IF it's Close he is going with the position of Need.  However on the opposite end of the spectrum he said if there is a clear gap meaning we need a OL or whatever the position, but there is a #1 ranked player on the board or whatever the high score and the position of need player is ranked #15 he will not take the position of need with a scoring and talent gap like that.  To dumb it down he's not selecting the #15 lower score over his clearly higher scored player and I agree with that.

Just now, krunk said:

The way Grigsons scoring system works he would take the OL in the scenario you posed. Why? Because #1 and #3 is not that far apart anyway.  Using the words that came directly from Grigson he said if it's close he is going with the position of Need.  However on the opposite end of the spectrum he said if there is a clear gap meaning we need a OL or whatever the position, but there is a #1 ranked player on the board or whatever the high score and the position of need player is ranked #15 he will not take the position of need with a scoring and talent gap like that.  To dumb it down he's not selecting the #15 lower score over his clearly higher scored player and I agree with that.

I get that. Obviously those are easily understood scenarious. What's your take on the situation at ILB? Would you prioritize it as bigger need than OL or OLB?

3 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

There are a ton of names on that list. DQ is the leader of the defense. Moore and Irving should be able to compete for the starting spot. Using a first round pick on an ILB at this stage, in my opinion, is not smart. We have a huge issue at Rush LB. I agree, don't reach. Im just tired of seeing our QB's get killed. I know your QB can get killed even with a great OL but we killed 3 of em last year. I'd say thats indicator there is a big problem.

What rush LBer do you expect to be there with our first pick that would make picking another position a bad idea ? I see 2nd and 3rd round talent going in the first round at the rush LB position .

There are not many quality pass rushers in this draft. The few that do exist will be gone before our first pick. I'm sure we'll draft a guy later but don't expect him to fix the pass rush. 

Unfortunately the Colts will not be able to fix everything over one offseason. People need to realize this. 

IMO it's going to take a few good drafts until most of our needs are filled. 

4 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I get that. Obviously those are easily understood scenarious. What's your take on the situation at ILB? Would you prioritize it as bigger need than OL or OLB?

Just jumping in here but yes I would at least see ILB as an equal need to the OL and OLB.  I would probably through a NT in there as a need as well.  I would think that our first pick would be a ILB, OLB, or NT/DT.  I do not think they will go OT and in this draft I like the ILBs and NT/DT options in the first better than the OLB.  The pass rushing prospects in this draft are limited and in my opinion it would not be a sound strategy to reach for that rush linebacker when better players are available that could have a greater impact on your team than the rush linebacker.

14 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I prioritize us getting excellent football players out of this draft overall.  To answer the question directly I think fixing the OL line is a bigger issue. Defensively speaking If you fix the pass rush and beef up the DL even more we have good enough linebackers as it stands right now to get the job done even if not a single soul is added in the draft.  You might look at upgrading the talent level of the back ups with some timely FA signings.    I would like to see some young talent added at ILB in the draft, but I won't cry if it doesn't happen.  I think we are good enough at the position to be honest to get by for a season.  I would certainly upgrade the position for sure in the 2017 draft though.

2 minutes ago, B~Town said:

What rush LBer do you expect to be there with our first pick that would make picking another position a bad idea ? I see 2nd and 3rd round talent going in the first round at the rush LB position .

There are a number of players I like in the middle of round 1. Personally I like Shallique Calhoun as a pass rush prospect. He's probably not ready to play 3 downs in the NFL right off the bat but his pass rush skills would be helpful right away. 18 is too high to pick him but I think he'll be gone before our pick rolls around in round 2. I like Andrew Billings in the middle of round 1, Taylor Decker, Jack Conklin, McKenzie Alexander...

Just now, krunk said:

I prioritize us getting excellent football players out of this draft overall.  To answer the question directly I think fixing the line is a bigger issue.  If you fix the pass rush and beef up the DL even more we have good enough linebackers as it stands right now to get the job done even if not a single soul is added in the draft.  You might look at upgrading the talent level of the back ups with some timely FA signings.    I would like to see some young talent added at ILB in the draft, but I won't cry if it doesn't happen.  I think we are good enough at the position to to be honest to get by for a season.  I would certainly upgrade the position for sure in the 2017 draft though.

I can agree with pretty much all of that

21 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

There are a number of players I like in the middle of round 1. Personally I like Shallique Calhoun as a pass rush prospect. He's probably not ready to play 3 downs in the NFL right off the bat but his pass rush skills would be helpful right away. 18 is too high to pick him but I think he'll be gone before our pick rolls around in round 2. I like Andrew Billings in the middle of round 1, Taylor Decker, Jack Conklin, McKenzie Alexander...

That is the scenario I see none of the pass rushers still available will be worth a first but by the time our second rolls around all the big names will be gone .

I'm not a big proponent of selecting a pure guard in the first round.  If the board speaks and an OL is BPA then I'm okay with taking a tackle like Jack Conklin who can play Guard or Tackle.  I think the Colts are leaning pretty strongly at starting Denzelle Good at the Right Tackle position from some of the language they've been using when asked about Good. 

Irsay: “We don’t see why he can’t be a starting RG or RT in this league.”

http://horseshoeheroes.com/2016/03/22/will-the-colts-start-denzelle-good-on-the-offensive-line-this-year/

Conklin can solidify the Guard position for us, He actually reminds me a lot of Jack Mewhort. If for some reason there is an issue with Good at tackle, Good is versatile enough to be moved inside and Conklin placed outside. Both players are versatile enough I think to do both things.  Adding Conklin to me is a really good thing because it would add quite a bit to our protection options.  Plus we'd still have Joe Reitz as well.

Man I understand the panic at OLB but I'm sticking to what I say in every thread lol OLB ISNT THE ONLY POSITION THAT CAN RUSH THE PASSER.. DT DE & NT are heavy this draft I'll take those over OLB and give our young guys who haven't had a chance to show anything on the edges  I'd even put sio on the edge because he can rush the passer. Idk if anyone has noticed but we don't rotate our olbs often  so the people behind them don't get a chance to show what they can do but we do rotate the middle of the dline constantly so why not pick up those types of a players in a draft that favors them heavily??

1 hour ago, B~Town said:

Jackson, Edwin who ...

Man, it's funny how people can see things though such different lenses.  That same list has me believing we're pretty well off and don't need any big additions.  First off, I believe ILB to be the least important position on our D.  Then, the triumvirate of Jackson, Moore, and Irving has me feeling that there's a solid corps of experienced players that can handle the position.  And finally, Sylvester and Herrera represent good all-round players the team can develop and rely on as emergency depth (an possible successors).  I'm particularly fond of Sylvestre.  There are some pretty good 5th or 7th round options if Grigson wants to increase young depth.  I agree with the original spirit of this thread - not worried about ILB and would be pretty upset if we drafted Rob Morris Jr. (Ragland).

I would rather them take Ragland than reach for a pass rusher. He's going to be a productive player. Someone like Floyd is not going to come in and have a huge impact year 1 anyways. Regardless, I hope they go with Billings

5 hours ago, theanarchist said:

I sure hope that Grigson doesn't ignore the huge issue we have with Rush LB but from all the stuff I'm reading it sure looks like they believe ILB is a big need and there isnt a lot of talk about Rush LB? We need a pass rush. We didnt have one last year. Mathis was our best rusher and he was coming off of an awful injury and multiple surgeries. I guess Mathis could return to form this year and get 15 sacks but at age 35 with a repaired achilles I'd say odds are against it. We have no one else on in the OLB mix who would give hope of providing a pass rush. Trent Cole? I've seen all I need to see from him. He was never an elite rusher and his better days have passed him by 4 seasons ago.

I also seem to be hearing a lot of talk that the offensive line is coming along and it seem from what I'm hearing and reading that they think the current mix might be adequate. I'm not the only fan that thinks that if we go ILB with the 18th pick and pass up on an elite OL or pass rusher we would be making a huge mistake. At this point with where this roster is, this team needs a young pass rushing talent and more youthful studs along the offensive line. We cant keep wasting first round picks on busts and passing on needs for "best player available". At some point you have to look at the roster and say, we need to address this position with some high draft picks. I'm not saying that we wont but I just get this feeling that ILB has become this big priority.

rush lb is a bigger need, but this draft class doesnt have very many.  we cant take one if the prospect isnt there

2 hours ago, krunk said:

I'm not a big proponent of selecting a pure guard in the first round.  If the board speaks and an OL is BPA then I'm okay with taking a tackle like Jack Conklin who can play Guard or Tackle.  I think the Colts are leaning pretty strongly at starting Denzelle Good at the Right Tackle position from some of the language they've been using when asked about Good. 

Irsay: “We don’t see why he can’t be a starting RG or RT in this league.”

http://horseshoeheroes.com/2016/03/22/will-the-colts-start-denzelle-good-on-the-offensive-line-this-year/

Conklin can solidify the Guard position for us, He actually reminds me a lot of Jack Mewhort. If for some reason there is an issue with Good at tackle, Good is versatile enough to be moved inside and Conklin placed outside. Both players are versatile enough I think to do both things.  Adding Conklin to me is a really good thing because it would add quite a bit to our protection options.  Plus we'd still have Joe Reitz as well.

Plus add in that Thornton could excel in a zone block scheme (he's already dropping weight and putting in the work) and we might be looking at a deep offensive line group, something we have never seen with this team. 

The problem with this draft is that there honestly isn't any rush OLB worthy of a first round pick in this draft. It's not a good year for them. Really any Olb in the first round is a reach for me we'd be much better off going T, NT or CB in the first. There are some very good players in those 3 positions that are likely to fall to us

6 hours ago, MPStack said:

I'm o-line at #18... Luck's going to take a chunk of $... need to make sure he can play. I agree that the 2nd need is OLB.

I would be OK  going ILB if there was one worth the pick... One who is very good in coverage.  Ragland is not that guy. I have seen people try to make the case for him pointing to some video that shows him making plays in coverage; I think that is the exception not the rule. I could find video of DQ making some plays in coverage as well, but he's still horrible at it overall. 

With that being said IMO there is not an OLB or an ILB who makes sense at #18 and we need to be looking at another position if we stay in that spot. 

1 hour ago, twfish said:

The problem with this draft is that there honestly isn't any rush OLB worthy of a first round pick in this draft. It's not a good year for them. Really any Olb in the first round is a reach for me we'd be much better off going T, NT or CB in the first. There are some very good players in those 3 positions that are likely to fall to us

You could be right.  One exception, though, may be Shaq Lawson.  His shoulder could have him drop to us, and he definitely has the physical skills and the tape to be worthy of #18.  He's not the Robert Mathis-like, quick-as-all-gitout pass rusher, but he's a very good rusher nonetheless.  And, since we've already made our bets at Rush OLB this year, he could start out at SAM.  He was supposed to be very smooth in coverage and in LB drills at the Combine.  Since Walden is back, we could afford to be patient with his shoulder if it needs extra time.  Just a thought.

6 minutes ago, Archer said:

You could be right.  One exception, though, may be Shaq Lawson.  His shoulder could have him drop to us, and he definitely has the physical skills and the tape to be worthy of #18.  He's not the Robert Mathis-like, quick-as-all-gitout pass rusher, but he's a very good rusher nonetheless.  And, since we've already made our bets at Rush OLB this year, he could start out at SAM.  He was supposed to be very smooth in coverage and in LB drills at the Combine.  Since Walden is back, we could afford to be patient with his shoulder if it needs extra time.  Just a thought.

I don't see what some see in him looks slow off snap got a lot of garbage sacks to inflate his numbers maybe could replace Walden but not what you want with a first round pick .

Ragland isn't my first option, but definitely wouldn't be upset if he was our pick. Potential to be a leader of a defense for the next 10 years. The coverage problems seem to be a bit blown out of proportion on this board. Almost everything I've read from scouts say he's passable in coverage. The way some people talk about how poor his coverage is you'd think he was a NT trying to cover a receiver.

Not my first pick, but if the other options are gone, do not reach just for a position of need. 

12 minutes ago, B~Town said:

I don't see what some see in him looks slow off snap got a lot of garbage sacks to inflate his numbers maybe could replace Walden but not what you want with a first round pick .

He was a beast in most of the games I watched. The offense had to account for him every snap and that freed up his teammates to make plays. Also half of his sacks came standing up so he could definitely play OLB. 

7 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Elite this and top 5 that is just a bunch of fan blather IMO. There are no Elite O-Lineman that will be available at 18. And IMO no such pass rusher either. Such silliness going on here just because we worked out Ragland.
 But he may be the best Prospect available at 18. Any team can use a Top Quality ILB as part of an excellent front 7.

And, do you have any idea what our young players are doing to improve themselves this off season?
 Surely our Management has some info on who is working hard to get in shape.
  So talking up what we have is a good motivational tool, but also pre- draft, isn`t smart to say things about your players to create some deception regarding who you might be interested in in the draft?

We have so many holes to fill, to build a quality roster, IMO, it would be foolish to do anything but draft the best all around players that we believe will fit our system as they appear on our draft board.
  Also, i doubt Grigson stands pat with one or both of our first 2 picks.

I vote for Dline and OL in the draft and maybe a corner and ilb I honestly don't give a you know what about OLB because it isn't a strong point in this draft and it isn't the only way to get to a qb especially when we play multi fronts and not sticking to a traditional 3-4..I also see a lot of people downplay walden "he's not a pass rusher" mind you other than Mathis HES BEEN THE ONE WHOS GOTTEN THE SACKS SINCE HES BEEN HERE lol my rant is done 

7 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Elite this and top 5 that is just a bunch of fan blather IMO. There are no Elite O-Lineman that will be available at 18. And IMO no such pass rusher either. Such silliness going on here just because we worked out Ragland.
 But he may be the best Prospect available at 18. Any team can use a Top Quality ILB as part of an excellent front 7.

And, do you have any idea what our young players are doing to improve themselves this off season?
 Surely our Management has some info on who is working hard to get in shape.
  So talking up what we have is a good motivational tool, but also pre- draft, isn`t smart to say things about your players to create some deception regarding who you might be interested in in the draft?

We have so many holes to fill, to build a quality roster, IMO, it would be foolish to do anything but draft the best all around players that we believe will fit our system as they appear on our draft board.
  Also, i doubt Grigson stands pat with one or both of our first 2 picks.

Personally depending on whos available round 3 I'm an advocate of trading down and collecting an extra pick or round 4 and collecting as many picks as we can. This all hinges on finding a trade partner or partners of course but I think standing pat at 18 and 48 is the best strategy

I'll just state this. Very good to great defenses for the sake of argument contain at least ONE outstanding playmaker at MLB/ILB. They contribute on a level that far exceeds one dimensional skill. They take havoc & disruption to a higher level. Can anticipate offensive sets for a game & inject that to the rest of the players. Tone-setters. Are highly versatile from one side of the field to the other. Shed blockers easily.

Get to the ball quickly. Run stoppers. Impact tacklers. TO ratio high. They are field generals. Inspirational leaders. Captains. 

I've seen quite a few of these guys over the years. Lewis, Miller, Kuechley, Taylor, Ham, Lambert, Curtis, Howley, Singletary, Nitchke, McGinnest, Romanowski. Just to name a few of the many great linebackers we've seen. There are many more on the list. Anyway, these players are game-wreckers. Take a quick look at the Super Bowl winners. More than likely, you're going to find one of these guys on defense. 

My whole point of luring in a "potential" player like this resides in history of the game. If the opportunity presents itself as the Colts may have this year, then it's an easy call for me. Irving & Jackson are not getting any younger, and by no means are they in the category as stated above. Moore? I don't know. The Colts are going to be at a big loss if one goes down or their play goes south.

Once again, if Reggie Ragland is there at 18, and he presents himself as BPA, then I pull the trigger on this guy. It just might prove one of the wisest moves towards solidifying an exceptional defense this franchise has seen in decades.