Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coaching Staff

Lucky Colts Fan

Pagano will be more involved in the defense than in previous years, because in previous years he had to babysit Pep.

Now, with all of the former HC experience on offense, he can turn it over to them more and help the younger coaches with the D.

28 minutes ago, jim scheurich said:

I haven't shot u any of my thoughts. Ive read some of yours and I think were mostly on the same page. IM O-line first, Dline,OLB second. what u think??

Well, with regard to the draft, I suppose it depends on who is there, but as far as "needs for 2016" I'd definitely put the O-Line on top. The biggest need imo, is at Center. Whether Indy decides to draft a Tackle or Guard is really inconsequential in my eyes, with Reitz being the 3rd best lineman, he can stay at Tackle or move to RG depending in who we draft.

Count me in as somebody who thinks that we need a beast in the middle of the D-Line, despite how good Parry was last season. While Parry will surely improve, the D-Line sees so much substitution on game days, that it only helps to have quality guys in the rotation. 

OLB (and probably Safety, too) is probably higher on my team needs list that D-Line, but I'm not sure that it's higher on my 2016 team needs list. It's true that we are putting a lot of eggs in the Mathis/Cole basket if we don't address OLB early in the draft. I'm pretty optimistic about Mathis for this coming year, but I'm not really comfortable with the depth at pass rush or SAM in general. If pressed, I'd say that it's a bigger need than D-Line this year. The issue really comes down to the wealth of D-Line prospects in the draft that look to be game changers vs. the very few Edge prospects. 

Safety is a top 5 need because we don't really have any depth behind Adams who, despite his very solid play over the last two years, just celebrated his 85th birthday, I think it was. 

7 minutes ago, Carlos Danger said:

Well, with regard to the draft, I suppose it depends on who is there, but as far as "needs for 2016" I'd definitely put the O-Line on top. The biggest need imo, is at Center. Whether Indy decides to draft a Tackle or Guard is really inconsequential in my eyes, with Reitz being the 3rd best lineman, he can stay at Tackle or move to RG depending in who we draft.

Count me in as somebody who thinks that we need a beast in the middle of the D-Line, despite how good Parry was last season. While Parry will surely improve, the D-Line sees so much substitution on game days, that it only helps to have quality guys in the rotation. 

OLB (and probably Safety, too) is probably higher on my team needs list that D-Line, but I'm not sure that it's higher on my 2016 team needs list. It's true that we are putting a lot of eggs in the Mathis/Cole basket if we don't address OLB early in the draft. I'm pretty optimistic about Mathis for this coming year, but I'm not really comfortable with the depth at pass rush or SAM in general. If pressed, I'd say that it's a bigger need than D-Line this year. The issue really comes down to the wealth of D-Line prospects in the draft that look to be game changers vs. the very few Edge prospects. 

Safety is a top 5 need because we don't really have any depth behind Adams who, despite his very solid play over the last two years, just celebrated his 85th birthday, I think it was. 

I agree with a lot u say glad to hear your opinion!!

6 hours ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Well said (typed).  Good typing... you know what I mean... :thmup:

I agree with you.  I'm not "hyped" about our defense, but cautiously optimistic.  Nobody predicted the '15 Broncos were going to have THAT good of a defense, but then again, we don't have Wade Philips coaching our D.

Someone on the D needs to have a breakout year, whether it's a coach or player.

yes someone did predict that Denver would have that great defense, I did on a post in this forum that the hiring of wade phillips would win them the superbowl. I talked about how we needed to hire him after he left the Texans. we instead chose to stay with what we had. brings us back to my post that coaching can make a big difference in how the same players play. see my post new coaches

5 hours ago, Jason_S said:

I don't agree with that.  Well, actually, I kind of do agree but not for the reasons that I think you meant.  I agree we got lucky that the defense was able to compete as much as it did last year, but I say that because of how poorly the offense played.  Way too many 3 and outs and quick turnovers kept putting the defense back on the field with no chance to rest.  Our defense could have been much, much better last year had the offense been more consistent.

I definitely agree with you there.  Our offense was awful,  BUT, firing Pep halfway through the season led to some of that. I think with the offense having just half a season of Chuds' offense under their belt, they will be better prepared going into this season, and will HOPEFULLY be carrying the defense into the playoffs.

IF WE'RE LUCKY, maybe the defensive coaches will get it together and the team will "gel" just in time for the playoffs, and we can make a championship run... but that is up to the football gods.

37 minutes ago, get an 0-line said:

yes someone did predict that Denver would have that great defense, I did on a post in this forum that the hiring of wade phillips would win them the superbowl. I talked about how we needed to hire him after he left the Texans. we instead chose to stay with what we had. brings us back to my post that coaching can make a big difference in how the same players play. see my post new coaches

Sorry, I tried to find those posts, but couldn't.  Could you just post them here so we don't have to look for them? Thanks.

I looked for a post that said the '15 Broncos were going to be as good as the '85 Bears, but I just couldn't find it.

I didn't see a post about Wade Phillips winning Denver a SB?

Did I miss something laddy?

I'm puzzled because so many fans on here are expecting mediocrity next season.  With Pagano, Luck, and Grigson's first year they won 11 games.  Same thing with the next couple of years.  I firmly believe last year was a classic case of locker room distractions.  It started with the first 2 losses and the media tore Pagano and Grigson to shreds.  The locker room was obviously divided and players didn't give their all after Luck was injured and Pep was fired.  Diversity can fuel or cripple a team.  The first year players rallied behind Arians, coming together for Chuck who was ill.  However, when the finger pointing begins, concentration/focus is divided, and effort/motivation lacks. 

Of course there will be a learning curve for most players and coaches starting something new, but with a whole offseason and an extra pre season game, I doubt it lasts long.  I believe we will be firing on all cylinders before the trade deadline. 

Furthermore, if Art Jones can stay healthy, he is a HUGE impact player that people are forgetting about.  When Anderson gets going and Parry and Kerr in the mix, I do believe our front 3 will be a force.  Kendall Langford won't need to carry as big of a load either.  If we can get a difference maker in the form of an OLB pass rusher, I see this team being in the thick of things come January, assuming no major setbacks.  Chuck will be focusing on defense with Williams and Monachino.  They all will be fine together, once they get midway through the season. 

On offense, I believe we need 2 OL via the draft, and some time for everybody to work with Philben, then our offense will be MUCH better.  I believe we need a new C, and depending on who is available when we pick and our draft strategy, we could use a G or T.  Luck will need to work on getting rid of the ball and making better decisions, but the run game will be a difference maker this season. 

We haven't brought in many new FA, and even lost a few, but that doesn't necessarily mean we haven't progressed.  Coaching is a huge factor, and I believe we have the right guys for the job. 

1 hour ago, ColtStronger said:

I'm puzzled because so many fans on here are expecting mediocrity next season.  With Pagano, Luck, and Grigson's first year they won 11 games.  Same thing with the next couple of years.  I firmly believe last year was a classic case of locker room distractions.  It started with the first 2 losses and the media tore Pagano and Grigson to shreds.  The locker room was obviously divided and players didn't give their all after Luck was injured and Pep was fired.  Diversity can fuel or cripple a team.  The first year players rallied behind Arians, coming together for Chuck who was ill.  However, when the finger pointing begins, concentration/focus is divided, and effort/motivation lacks. 

Of course there will be a learning curve for most players and coaches starting something new, but with a whole offseason and an extra pre season game, I doubt it lasts long.  I believe we will be firing on all cylinders before the trade deadline. 

Furthermore, if Art Jones can stay healthy, he is a HUGE impact player that people are forgetting about.  When Anderson gets going and Parry and Kerr in the mix, I do believe our front 3 will be a force.  Kendall Langford won't need to carry as big of a load either.  If we can get a difference maker in the form of an OLB pass rusher, I see this team being in the thick of things come January, assuming no major setbacks.  Chuck will be focusing on defense with Williams and Monachino.  They all will be fine together, once they get midway through the season. 

On offense, I believe we need 2 OL via the draft, and some time for everybody to work with Philben, then our offense will be MUCH better.  I believe we need a new C, and depending on who is available when we pick and our draft strategy, we could use a G or T.  Luck will need to work on getting rid of the ball and making better decisions, but the run game will be a difference maker this season. 

We haven't brought in many new FA, and even lost a few, but that doesn't necessarily mean we haven't progressed.  Coaching is a huge factor, and I believe we have the right guys for the job. 

great post. I agree.

I think the defense will be as good as the draft is. We need playmakers on D. I like Monachino, but I don't expect him to magically make Cole, Mathis, and Jackson better.

I do expect he can work some magic with Sio though. Secondary looks good though. D-Line has solid depth since we retained Jones.

We've got to arm our new coaches IMO. Can't send them into battle with BB guns and sharpened sticks.

On 3/24/2016 at 3:48 PM, Smonroe said:

Right.  A good pass rush can cover up a lot of weaknesses.  The opposing teams can't throw the long ball too often, our ILBs can pay more attention to the run, etc.

Obviously, the Offense has to play their part too.  Luck can't turn the ball over near as much, and he can't hold it too long.  I'd love to see Chud run the same game plan he did when MH started.  Scoring points is the best help to our D.

There will be some differences, because the playbook will be different.  Chud had to use Pep's playbook, but he added a few of his favorites from his playbook to the mix each week depending upon opponent and resulting game plan.  Next season, it's all Chudzinski's plays and game planning. So I'm hoping for even better results than the 'hybrid' he used last year.

On 3/24/2016 at 2:17 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Well said (typed).  Good typing... you know what I mean... :thmup:

I agree with you.  I'm not "hyped" about our defense, but cautiously optimistic.  Nobody predicted the '15 Broncos were going to have THAT good of a defense, but then again, we don't have Wade Philips coaching our D.

Someone on the D needs to have a breakout year, whether it's a coach or player.

Hey, lets face it, we dont have near the talent on defense that Denver had last year. Two legit elite pass rushing OLB's. Two elite down DE's. A legit stud ILB and the secondary was more than solid.

On 3/28/2016 at 5:19 PM, Defjamz26 said:

I think the defense will be as good as the draft is. We need playmakers on D. I like Monachino, but I don't expect him to magically make Cole, Mathis, and Jackson better.

I do expect he can work some magic with Sio though. Secondary looks good though. D-Line has solid depth since we retained Jones.

We've got to arm our new coaches IMO. Can't send them into battle with BB guns and sharpened sticks.

Our secondary becomes a whole lot better if we can find someone to rush the passer

• 5 months later...
17 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

I think the coaching staff changes will do wonders for the team. Especially Philbin.

Hopefully, you will be right. However ... the problem I see is that Chuck Pagano cannot clearly and succinctly communicate his overall strategy to the players and other coaches - if he has one. He's almost unintelligible (not merely coach-speak). This results in an (obvious to me) level of confusion on the field illustrated by false starts and penalties.

"You play as you practice". The confusion that permeates our game play started back in the way the Colts practice. It shows up in our slow starts and lack of preparation.  It doesn't seem we are incapable of executing plays, because once in a while, we can and do - just not consistently.

Instead of "building the monster", the motto should be "If you don't know what you're doing, don't do it here". The game is too fast to make it up as you go, or even think about it.

On 3/24/2016 at 4:15 PM, MSColtsFan said:

I agree with you. And listening to Grigs and Irsay this off season talk about the need for interior lineman, I think the organization believes so too.  It's why I don't see a OT in the first round of the draft. 

Ryan Kelly in retrospect.....but this was awhile back and I just noticed. :)  

On 3/24/2016 at 7:30 PM, BOTT said:

I thought Hasselbeck looked kinda turdy after a couple games.

Because he got the poop knocked out of him.  2 of the hits should have been 15 yard penalties.  He also came back from the hospital after severe flu...and won....

I think that contributed to his 'turdiness.' :)  

On 3/24/2016 at 4:07 PM, MasterCrief said:

I'm really hoping that what you said about the offense is the case. Hopefully Pagano went to Chud and basically said, "This is your offense, do what you need to do to make it work"  and he's going to be spending the majority of his time working with Monachino on getting the defense up to par. 

I'm quoting you but your thoughts are common among a lot of Colts fans but I'm not of the belief that Pagano is a great or even good defensive coordinator. He was a DC for one year at Baltimore and he took over a defense that had Ray lewis, Suggs, Ed Reed, Pollard, Ngata, Kruger, and Jimmy Smith.  In other words he took over a stacked defense and road their coat tails for a year.

Now, from all reports he is good at working with DBs.  But there is not a lot of evidence that he is good at running an entire defense.

On 3/24/2016 at 3:30 PM, Smonroe said:

It starts with talent.  The Bronco's stalked up on pass rushers.  You don't need great DBs when the opposing QB is running for his life. 

I'm in the 'wait and see' mode as far as D.  We can't count on a 35 year old guy to be our only threat.

This year I believe the D is more unknown than usual. With all the corners, half the D-line, a potential starting safety and Robert Mathis not playing we really have no idea what the finished product will look like. I will say that there are many "2s" getting a lot of playing time which can't hurt in the long run. I'm actually much more concerned with the O-line still.

On 3/24/2016 at 2:05 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

I saw that our DBs Coach, Greg Williams (one g), was visiting with a prospect, and I thought it was Gregg Williams (two g's), the guy that was responsible for "Bountygate".

That got me to looking at our coaching staff.

Pagano, Chud, and Philbin have all been head coaches in the NFL.  Ok, that's good.

Brian Schottenheimer is the QBs coach.  Ok, that's good.

Our offense is looking good.  The OLine protects Luck and the sky is the limit.

On defense, I'm nervous.  New D-Coordinator, Monachino, could be legit, or could have ridden the coattails of great LBers in Baltimore.  Some other new defensive coaches, Herrmann (LBs) and the previously mentioned Williams (DBs) are also in their first year with the Colts.

Is this going to be a "rebuilding" year on defense?  First year coaches, combined with aging vets like Adams, Cole, Mathis, and Jackson, and we might end up with a dominant Offense carrying a limping Defense into the playoffs...

That's true I just hope we can protect Luck. If we can we got two possibly three outstanding receivers.