Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots Acquire Martellus Bennett

21isSuperman

The Patriots still have roughly a 3 year window to win the SB with Brady, that is another reason why I wanted Denver to take them, even had Peyton not been on Denver I would've rooted for them. Some people in here that were rooting for the Patriots to beat Denver was baffling to me. I guess those people want the Patriots to win it every season. This move only makes them better. Because of Peyton retiring you guys do know they are the team to beat again.

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

im shocked some troll hasnt come in to bash grigs for not trading a 4th for bennett. havent had someone bash grigs in oh I dont know the last 5 seconds

Smh Grigson with another boneheaded move. He should've paid Allen less and traded for Bennett knowing that CF wouldn't be retained. Another hit and miss. 

4 minutes ago, QwizBoy said:

Smh Grigson with another boneheaded move. He should've paid Allen less and traded for Bennett knowing that CF wouldn't be retained. Another hit and miss. 

sorry qwizboy, you got too much seniority to be a troll haha

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000645101/article/martellus-bennett-traded-by-bears-to-patriots

Patriots receive: Martellus Bennet, 6th round pick

Bears receive: 4th round pick

This could mean the return of the unstoppable 2 TE sets with Pats used to run

Eh, he's no Aaron Hernandez. He's not going to be in the slot all day. He's really just a worse version of Gronk. I'm not sure how they plan to use the both of them, other than the occasional 12 personnel and RZ.

Pats aren't going to take Edelman out of the slot for MB.

Imo this is a bad move. I praised them for the oline move but this is just dumb.

All this means is they have no faith in there oline and need a contingency plan for Gronks inevitable injury.

In essence they just gave up a 4th rounder in an extremely deep 100 or 120 player draft for a worse Gronk? Lol... k

31 minutes ago, ColtsLegacy said:

Eh, he's no Aaron Hernandez. He's not going to be in the slot all day. He's really just a worse version of Gronk. I'm not sure how they plan to use the both of them, other than the occasional 12 personnel and RZ.

Pats aren't going to take Edelman out of the slot for MB.

I agree, but it gives them another weapon.  They might not use him in the slot, but Belichick, Brady, and McDaniels will find some way to maximize whatever Bennett has left.  He's very different from Hernandez, but he can still play.

8 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

Imo this is a bad move. I praised them for the oline move but this is just dumb.

All this means is they have no faith in there oline and need a contingency plan for Gronks inevitable injury.

In essence they just gave up a 4th rounder in an extremely deep 100 or 120 player draft for a worse Gronk? Lol... k

He'll be able to play and contribute if Gronk is healthy, too.  He's not just there in case Gronk gets hurt.  In the last two days, the Patriots have given away Chandler Jones, and a 4th round pick; in that same time, they've added Jon Cooper (meh), a 2nd round pick, Chris Long, a 6th round pick, and Martellus Bennett.  That's a net gain for the Pats, in my opinion

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Why is this the best sign of the offseason? If the Pats can't make Chandler a great sign, Bennett isn't going to be a world beater. Some of you guys need to relax and look at things with 20/20 vision.

Do you forget who the coach of NE is? Bill is an offensive mastermind and as long as Bennett stays healthy for them, there is a pretty good chance he's gonna be a good player for them. Bill finds a way to to use guys and put them in spots and situations where they can excell. He knows very well how to take full advantage of the personnel he has and maximize their abilities. Then you got Tom Brady at QB on top of it all. And they don't need him to be a world beater, thier offense is already was one of the best in the leauge. If Bennet is just solid and establishes himself as a threat...with Gronk out there as well. That alone will be quite effective for the Patriots and open things up more for them.

The Pats have had a few good days in a row. They were gonna lose Jones anyways. They add Long, Cooper and Bennett, and have 4 picks in the top 100. 

Those are two monster TE's, Bennett is one of the few that are even bigger than Gronk. Brady is gonna be hard to get pressure on next year.

I'm not sure what the naysayers are thinking here....this gives them another very dangerous TE to pair with Gronk and they will both line up all over the field. They probably have two of th top 5 TEs now.

Gronk in particular is gonna be lining up all over the place. McDaniels is gonna be very creative with them. This also takes a little pressure off of Edelman. Remember the Pats outside guys aren't very good, but they are gonna be hell between the hashes.

1 minute ago, GoatBeard said:

The Pats have had a few good days in a row. They were gonna lose Jones anyways. They add Long, Cooper and Bennett, and have 4 picks in the top 100. 

Those are two monster TE's, Bennett is one of the few that are even bigger than Gronk. Brady is gonna be hard to get pressure on next year.

I'm not sure what the naysayers are thinking here....this gives them another very dangerous TE to pair with Gronk and they will both line up all over the field. They probably have two of th top 5 TEs now.

Gronk in particular is gonna be lining up all over the place. McDaniels is gonna be very creative with them. This also takes a little pressure off of Edelman. Remember the Pats outside guys aren't very good, but they are gonna be hell between the hashes.

Yep!!! People just don't wanna face the fact that the Patriots are getting better and are gonna be even harder to stop on offense. And the scarry thing is as you say thier outside guys are nothing special but look at how effective they still are and how potent NE offense has still been. Now you add the presence of Bennett in the middle of the field. And they will be getting Lewis back next year to who was Turing into quite a weapon out the backfield for them. Don't be supprised to see the Patriots avg over 40 pts a game next year. 

5 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

Do you forget who the coach of NE is? Bill is an offensive mastermind and as long as Bennett stays healthy for them, there is a pretty good chance he's gonna be a good player for them. Bill finds a way to to use guys and put them in spots and situations where they can excell. He knows very well how to take full advantage of the personnel he has and maximize their abilities. Then you got Tom Brady at QB on top of it all. And they don't need him to be a world beater, thier offense is already was one of the best in the leauge. If Bennet is just solid and establishes himself as a threat...with Gronk out there as well. That alone will be quite effective for the Patriots and open things up more for them.

I know who Belichick is. What I don't understand is why this is some godsend tight end to Bill. If you can explain why Bennett is a specimen of a TE compared to Chandler, I will listen. But people said the same thing about Chandler last year and he was nothing more than a distant option last year. Signing Bennett is an ok pickup, but he is a role player at best. 

Chandler was more athletic, but people act like Bill can make a 500 yard 3 TD tight end into a 1000 yard 10 TD tight end. Bill failed with Chandler for the most part as far as expectations are concerned, be realistic.

Bennett is way more than some low end role player. They just said on NFL network the guy has more catches than Gronk since 2012. I will say again the guy had damn near 1000 yards receiving as recent as 2014. Much better athlete, receiver, and blocker than a scrub like chandler.

23 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I know who Belichick is. What I don't understand is why this is some godsend tight end to Bill. If you can explain why Bennett is a specimen of a TE compared to Chandler, I will listen. But people said the same thing about Chandler last year and he was nothing more than a distant option last year. Signing Bennett is an ok pickup, but he is a role player at best. 

Chandler was more athletic, but people act like Bill can make a 500 yard 3 TD tight end into a 1000 yard 10 TD tight end. Bill failed with Chandler for the most part as far as expectations are concerned, be realistic.

Chandler may be more athletic, but I'd say Bennett is the more complete TE.  He put up good stats with Jay Cutler.  Imagine what he'll do with Brady, Belichick, and McDaniels.  Of course, this doesn't mean he's going to be a great success.  The Pats have had their fair share of failed free agents, as any team does.  But in my opinion, this move is very underrated.  If Bennett is utilized properly and he is motivated and focused, this could give the Pats the #1 offense in the league.  I can easily see Bennett going for 800 yards and 6-8 TDs.

39 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

You're saying the failure of one means the failure of all basically??? It doesn't work that way. And how is automatically assumed that its Bill fault that Chandler wasn't successful and didn't produce??? He's not the same quality as Bennett when Bennett is healthy. Also Bennett has proven.he can produce like Krunk stated back in 2014, he almost had 1,000 yds recieving with Cutler as his QB. Now he has Brady on top of McDaniels and Bill. Chandler had never really proven himself and still hasn't. Bennett has though. And he's not coming to any ordinary team either tbh. Also nothing was ever said about him needing to be a Godsend to the Patriots at all or that he neccasarily would be. Just that he has a very good chance to pretty effective and be a presence that has to be respected out there. On top of Gronk and their WR it's likeley gonna be hell to defend.

58 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

There sure is a lot of boo haa over a tight end who is working on his 4th NFL team in 8 years. Now that the Patriots have signed him all of a sudden he is the next coming of Tony Ganzalaz.

Lol shhhh logic doesn't belong here.  The Pats are now the number one offense don't you know? Lol

4 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

He'll be able to play and contribute if Gronk is healthy, too.  He's not just there in case Gronk gets hurt.  In the last two days, the Patriots have given away Chandler Jones, and a 4th round pick; in that same time, they've added Jon Cooper (meh), a 2nd round pick, Chris Long, a 6th round pick, and Martellus Bennett.  That's a net gain for the Pats, in my opinion

Lol you are inflating everything so badly.

First if Bennet is getting catches instead of gronk then that's a win for the rest of the league.

2nd if they are both in that's still a win for the league because that oline is not good and they will be either blocking or Brady getting sacked.

3rd they "gave away" one of their best pass rushers and a 4th and gained 2 below average lineman, a 6th (big woop?) And a second (the only thing of value and no where near the same as jones).

This isn't the move that's gonna put em over the edge because Brady needs an outstanding oline.  If anything it's going to be the hope for the Jones deal to solid the line that will make them dangerous not Bennet.

1 hour ago, Surge89 said:

Lol you are inflating everything so badly.

First if Bennet is getting catches instead of gronk then that's a win for the rest of the league.

2nd if they are both in that's still a win for the league because that oline is not good and they will be either blocking or Brady getting sacked.

3rd they "gave away" one of their best pass rushers and a 4th and gained 2 below average lineman, a 6th (big woop?) And a second (the only thing of value and no where near the same as jones).

This isn't the move that's gonna put em over the edge because Brady needs an outstanding oline.  If anything it's going to be the hope for the Jones deal to solid the line that will make them dangerous not Bennet.

I think you are gonna be quite supprised at positive effect Bennett has for the Patriots. The whole thing you're missing is Bennett will be another huge target who is reliable. So what are teams gonna do? Double up Gronk to take him away? Go ahead and try because Tom will find an open receiver and now he can find Bennet. You gonna be able to try and double both of em?Umm nooo. You gonna try and match up 1 on1 with 2 athletic big physical guys that 6'6+?

The point is this is gonna create match up nightmares. Even if MB doesn't put up huge numbers. He could maybe get 6-7 catches in a game for 60-70 yds. He's still a presence and a threat and you're sure as heck not gonna leave him uncovered. Aaaaand Brady doesn't need alot of time in the pocket....he genreally has the ball out in within 2 seconds and there are few teams with pass rush like Denver that are really gonna be able to create constant havoc. So you're making the O line a bigger deal than it really is. Patriots are generally quite good at adjusting. 

On top of it all they have 4 of the top 100 picks in draft this year. Good chance they'll nab an OL or two to help thier front and they will get thier starting LT back as well so that will help.

And if it makes it any better they will have Dion Lewis coming back too who was turning into a nice weapon for them. You really have to look at and realize who Bennet will have throwing him the ball and who he has as his coach now. It's not just an ordinary QB and coach. 

6 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I agree, but it gives them another weapon.  They might not use him in the slot, but Belichick, Brady, and McDaniels will find some way to maximize whatever Bennett has left.  He's very different from Hernandez, but he can still play.

absolutely agree, with that staff , the offense can really improve as always puts players in right spot or niche rolls that do contribute in meaningful ways

I'm a big fan of this signing, and if the team stays relatively healthy they will be tough to beat. Some want to make it sound like they needed all this help to 'get over the hump' and these moves won't do it, but the truth is that this team was crippled with injuries last year and they still came within a missed extra point of going to another Superbowl. They don't need much and it looks like they are signing some guys to go for it this year with front loaded contracts and hopefully that will make it easier to sign some of their young defensive guys that are coming up next offseason when the cap goes up. It's hard to hate what they've done so far.

I'm getting so sick of this. Every time the Patriots make a move, the NFL unleashes a barrage - a whole video, a whole article, the works. Even the NFL.com poll changed to something saying, "Who got the better end of the Patriots-Cardinals trade?..."
- New England

- Arizona

In case you're wondering, over 60% said Arizona, but I think most voted for Arizona to shut the NFL up. I know I did.

10 hours ago, weslo1812 said:

You're saying the failure of one means the failure of all basically??? It doesn't work that way. And how is automatically assumed that its Bill fault that Chandler wasn't successful and didn't produce??? He's not the same quality as Bennett when Bennett is healthy. Also Bennett has proven.he can produce like Krunk stated back in 2014, he almost had 1,000 yds recieving with Cutler as his QB. Now he has Brady on top of McDaniels and Bill. Chandler had never really proven himself and still hasn't. Bennett has though. And he's not coming to any ordinary team either tbh. Also nothing was ever said about him needing to be a Godsend to the Patriots at all or that he neccasarily would be. Just that he has a very good chance to pretty effective and be a presence that has to be respected out there. On top of Gronk and their WR it's likeley gonna be hell to defend.

The bolded is the most ironic post I've ever seen. If Chandler signed here and didn't pan out at least one of either Grigson and Pagano would be blamed for it. Bill is both of them in one and he is apparently not at fault.

The fact of the matter is, statistically speaking, Chandler has been the same caliber TE except 1 year. And Chandler was working with a lesser QB outside of NE.