shecolt

The "Random Stuff" Thread, Part Two

216 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

Local anesthetic for a vasectomy makes one a numnuts

Just ask Chris Christie.

On 4/16/2017 at 9:26 AM, JCPatriot said:

Just ask Chris Christie.

any chance you used to be JCDavey on the Chargers board?

On 4/10/2017 at 10:25 AM, JCPatriot said:

Didn't there used to be a "Things That Drive You Nuts" thread.......or something like that?  I looked for it, but I couldn't find it, so I'm gonna use this thread to vent.  I live in New Jersey.  We are one of two states in the U.S. in which it is illegal to pump your own gas at a gas station..........because gasoline is a hazardous substance and should only be dispensed by trained professionals.......blah blah blah.  Anyway, I stopped to get gas last night because my tank was almost empty.  I tell the attendant to fill up the tank.  So he sets the pump on auto, and it clicks off at $23.02.  I see the price and just put my head in my hands and sigh because I know what is about to happen.  Sure enough, the attendant tries to top it off because they have an obsession with the price being an even dollar amount (no cents).  Well, he has 98¢ to go to get to the next even dollar and with gas prices what they are right now that is about half a gallon........and I don't have a half gallon of empty space left in my tank.  So he is literally running gas down the side of my car as the tank overflows while he is pumping it up to $24.00 even.  And I'm the one that can't be trusted to dispense gasoline.  Thank you, New Jersey state legislature......

Yes, there was once such a thread; but it was most likely archived a long time ago.  

I have a friend who lives in Oregon . . . that other state.  Whenever she returns to Indiana, she speaks of the difficulty of trying to remember how to use the gas pumps.

While that attendant would have also made me angry, the bright side of living in NJ or OR is that you never have to stand out in crappy weather to get gas.  I would love that.  

On ‎4‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:25 AM, JCPatriot said:

Didn't there used to be a "Things That Drive You Nuts" thread.......or something like that?  I looked for it, but I couldn't find it, so I'm gonna use this thread to vent.  I live in New Jersey.  We are one of two states in the U.S. in which it is illegal to pump your own gas at a gas station..........because gasoline is a hazardous substance and should only be dispensed by trained professionals.......blah blah blah.  Anyway, I stopped to get gas last night because my tank was almost empty.  I tell the attendant to fill up the tank.  So he sets the pump on auto, and it clicks off at $23.02.  I see the price and just put my head in my hands and sigh because I know what is about to happen.  Sure enough, the attendant tries to top it off because they have an obsession with the price being an even dollar amount (no cents).  Well, he has 98¢ to go to get to the next even dollar and with gas prices what they are right now that is about half a gallon........and I don't have a half gallon of empty space left in my tank.  So he is literally running gas down the side of my car as the tank overflows while he is pumping it up to $24.00 even.  And I'm the one that can't be trusted to dispense gasoline.  Thank you, New Jersey state legislature......

While I am no expert in the effects of over filling your gas tank I have a friend who said it was a bad thing.

He said something about your tank is designed to vent itself at a certain level and over filling it is not good for the fuel system to work properly. He also said it is rough on your float that effects your fuel gauge and causes wrong readings on the gauge over time.

Are these facts? I have no clue but my friend is a pretty smart guy and what he said makes sense to me.

The month of March was a . . . "if it can go wrong, it will" month for me.  I won't bore you with all of it, but I do want to tell of one thing that happened because I was told that it was unusual.  

I was sitting at a red light on US 30 when I heard, "ping, ping".  That was the noise of my vehicle telling me that I had low tire pressure.

I had hoped that it was something minor that could be fixed with a little air at the closest gas station; but when that light changed and I put my foot of the gas, I instantly knew that wasn't the case.

I pulled over as soon as I could and discovered that a rear tire was as flat as flat can be.  The mechanic from AAA told me that he had changed a lot of tires, but had never seen anything like it.  When I had the tire repaired, I was told that they had also never seen anything like it.  

So what was it?  The entire valve stem had come off and was inside the tire.  That left a nice, big hole. Given everything that was going wrong for me during this time, I thought . . . "Well, of course.  Why would my tire want to be like all the other tires in the world?"

On the bright side, I was also thinking that I was lucky that this didn't happen when I was traveling at any great speed as it may have caused me to lose control.  

After some searching, I was able to find something online regarding this.  

http://www.tirereview.com/more-field-reports-on-corroded-tpms-sensors/

1 person likes this

On 4/22/2017 at 2:50 PM, shecolt said:

The month of March was a . . . "if it can go wrong, it will" month for me.  I won't bore you with all of it, but I do want to tell of one thing that happened because I was told that it was unusual.  

I was sitting at a red light on US 30 when I heard, "ping, ping".  That was the noise of my vehicle telling me that I had low tire pressure.

I had hoped that it was something minor that could be fixed with a little air at the closest gas station; but when that light changed and I put my foot of the gas, I instantly knew that wasn't the case.

I pulled over as soon as I could and discovered that a rear tire was as flat as flat can be.  The mechanic from AAA told me that he had changed a lot of tires, but had never seen anything like it.  When I had the tire repaired, I was told that they had also never seen anything like it.  

So what was it?  The entire valve stem had come off and was inside the tire.  That left a nice, big hole. Given everything that was going wrong for me during this time, I thought . . . "Well, of course.  Why would my tire want to be like all the other tires in the world?"

On the bright side, I was also thinking that I was lucky that this didn't happen when I was traveling at any great speed as it may have caused me to lose control.  

After some searching, I was able to find something online regarding this.  

http://www.tirereview.com/more-field-reports-on-corroded-tpms-sensors/

I'm quoting myself because I have been worried that this would happen to me again.  But, my husband kept saying it was a fluke.  Said it wouldn't happen again.

My husband was wrong. :(

So, two days (after having another flat due to a disappearing sensor valve stem) and $415.20 later; I now have new valve stems on all four tires.  

2 people like this

Dolphin-safe tuna......

How do the tuna feel about that?

1 person likes this

On Friday, April 21, 2017 at 0:31 PM, Colt Cola said:

any chance you used to be JCDavey on the Chargers board?

Nope.  I'm pretty sure that this is the only forum that I have ever actively participated in.  Well, there was one other, but that one was just a group of my friends from college.  It wasn't open to the general public.  This is the only forum that I have ever participated in where I did not personally know the other people posting.

Why do people refer to the bathroom as "the little boys' room" or "the little girls' room?"  When you stop and think about it, isn't that kind of weird?

1 person likes this

On 5/26/2017 at 5:02 PM, JCPatriot said:

Why do people refer to the bathroom as "the little boys' room" or "the little girls' room?"  When you stop and think about it, isn't that kind of weird?

haha  I really enjoy your inquisitive mind . . . perhaps, because you remind me of myself.  Although it's long since been archived, I had once started a "Dumb Questions" thread.  Not that your questions or the questions of anybody else were dumb, but just to give a thread to ask questions no matter how strange they may seem.

I've never thought about it before, but it does sound strange to say, "the little boy's or girls' room".  My thought is that saying originated in elementary schools because it was nicer way of referring to a restroom.

This reminds me of my 4th grade teacher.  If we needed to use the restroom, we had to raise our right hand with only the index finger extended.  I hated that.  It was embarrassing.  

1 person likes this

I need this T-SHIRT....

FB_IMG_1469232110167.jpg

5 people like this

On 6/5/2017 at 3:41 AM, pacolts56 said:

I need this T-SHIRT....

FB_IMG_1469232110167.jpg

Haha!  I need one that says:

"If you are in front of me in the 12-items-or-less line, and you have 13+ items, I'm the guy that's going to say something to you about it."  :angry:

:lol:

2 people like this

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 10:22 AM, shecolt said:

I'm quoting myself because I have been worried that this would happen to me again.  But, my husband kept saying it was a fluke.  Said it wouldn't happen again.

My husband was wrong. :(

So, two days (after having another flat due to a disappearing sensor valve stem) and $415.20 later; I now have new valve stems on all four tires.

Blargh!!!  Reading this made me realize that I was planning to buy a new bulb for my burned out headlight during my lunch break today, and I forgot to do it.  Which means that I have to drive home in the dark on one headlight again tonight.  Which means that I run the risk of getting pulled over and getting a ticket again.  Which means that I'm pushing my luck......

1 person likes this

I need this T-SHIRT....

FB_IMG_1469232110167.jpg

On 6/6/2017 at 4:06 PM, Lucky Colts Fan said:

Haha!  I need one that says:

"If you are in front of me in the 12-items-or-less line, and you have 13+ items, I'm the guy that's going to say something to you about it."  :angry:

:lol:

I'm that person who rarely gets anything close to road rage, but have a problem with cart rage.  Seeing your posts reminded me of an episode of "What Would You Do?" that left me wondering . . . what would I do?

If you don't want to take the time to watch, the scenario is that of a customer with one item who asks if he can go ahead of you in line.  That guy then becomes the 5 millionth customer and wins a trip to Hawaii.  I would like to think that I would have been as gracious as those in the video, but I'm doubtful.  

2 people like this

I need this T-SHIRT....

FB_IMG_1469232110167.jpg

I was thinking this the other day when I got in line behind someone who had just a small amount of groceries.  However, she was breaking it up into three transactions and there was much discussion and paperwork.

Usually I just surf the web when this is going on.  But, if my icecream melts and I have to go get another one because I've been in line too long, I will point out to the checker that the line was just too slow!

1 person likes this

If you and a friend are moving at 50 miles per hour and you throw him a football from 50 feet away do you put more effort or less effort in the throw than if you were both stationary?