shecolt

The "Random Stuff" Thread, Part Two

237 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It's my favorite holiday but it's probably because my mom is an excellent cook and she cooks enough to feed an army + football all day! Her mash potatoes and the way she cooks Turkey is something else. I love this holiday because of food and football.

Mom's are the best!

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny story from yesterday.  When we arrived at the stadium and going through security, I breezed right through then heard the metal detectors going off.  Yep...you guessed it, Ron was being held up by security.  The bingers kept going off so they made him empty all his pockets.  Good Lord, the amount of crap that man had on him.  You really need a visual to appreciate the whole story, but seriously who doesn't carry a few flashlights, multiple sets of keys, a pocket wrench, etc etc etc. With them? haha. The Indianapolis  police officer asked me if I knew him, and I said nope, never met him before in my life but I think he thinks he''s MacGyver. lmao.  Laughter from everyone except those in line behind him.

 

@Smonroe and @bababooey you ought to appreciate the hilarity since you met him. haha 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gramz said:

Funny story from yesterday.  When we arrived at the stadium and going through security, I breezed right through then heard the metal detectors going off.  Yep...you guessed it, Ron was being held up by security.  The bingers kept going off so they made him empty all his pockets.  Good Lord, the amount of crap that man had on him.  You really need a visual to appreciate the whole story, but seriously who doesn't carry a few flashlights, multiple sets of keys, a pocket wrench, etc etc etc. With them? haha. The Indianapolis  police officer asked me if I knew him, and I said nope, never met him before in my life but I think he thinks he''s MacGyver. lmao.  Laughter from everyone except those in line behind him.

 

@Smonroe and @bababooey you ought to appreciate the hilarity since you met him. haha 

That's too funny, we went back to drop the purse off specifically to avoid all of that haha. Just landed in NY, still over the moon about the weekend. Will send pics when I consolidate on my computer

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gramz said:

Funny story from yesterday.  When we arrived at the stadium and going through security, I breezed right through then heard the metal detectors going off.  Yep...you guessed it, Ron was being held up by security.  The bingers kept going off so they made him empty all his pockets.  Good Lord, the amount of crap that man had on him.  You really need a visual to appreciate the whole story, but seriously who doesn't carry a few flashlights, multiple sets of keys, a pocket wrench, etc etc etc. With them? haha. The Indianapolis  police officer asked me if I knew him, and I said nope, never met him before in my life but I think he thinks he''s MacGyver. lmao.  Laughter from everyone except those in line behind him.

 

@Smonroe and @bababooey you ought to appreciate the hilarity since you met him. haha 

 

Sounds like a reasonable amount of stuff to carry, all very useful!   I'm glad he made it in, good game, great halftime, and the victory formation to end it.  

 

Sorry I didn't get to meet bababooey.  Next time we'll hit 'em with the Hein!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

 

Sounds like a reasonable amount of stuff to carry, all very useful!   I'm glad he made it in, good game, great halftime, and the victory formation to end it.  

 

Sorry I didn't get to meet bababooey.  Next time we'll hit 'em with the Hein!

Sorry my friend, we were on our way to you but got sidetracked at the Conrad and met Polian and Addai so had to stick there to see who else was going to come down. Next time

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shakedownstreet said:

Capture2_zpsnoraujio.jpg

 

Fart now loading... Please wait...

Oh...the anticipation. haha

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A nice addition to our grilled salmon dinner this evening. :)  :cheers: 

 

getPart?uid=32333721&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=20161203_182546_resized.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Gramz said:

A nice addition to our grilled salmon dinner this evening. :)  :cheers: 

 

getPart?uid=32333721&partId=2&scope=STANDARD&saveAs=20161203_182546_resized.jpg

Evidently, I didn't upload the photo properly the first time. lmao  maybe I had too much :cheers:    haha      Anyway,  this is one of the bottles of 2006 Super Bowl team wine we picked up when we were in town.   It was very good.  

 

coltswine.jpg

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nine years ago my friends had a German exchange student for the school year.

 

During that year,  Ron and I were very fortunate to spend a lot of time with her.  She married this past April, and today we were able to visit with her again.   She is  back to visit this week with her new husband.   It was so nice reuniting with her.  

 

15253408_1919646988263161_3262157272021875499_n.jpg?oh=64c376687ab92ac95ae3f7276c59961a&oe=58BD36D1

 

15253412_1919647098263150_8476078826781553109_n.jpg?oh=75952c83a19ab7a35e9393caff440b68&oe=58F936B5

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2016 at 9:48 PM, Gramz said:

Nine years ago my friends had a German exchange student for the school year.

 

During that year,  Ron and I were very fortunate to spend a lot of time with her.  She married this past April, and today we were able to visit with her again.   She is  back to visit this week with her new husband.   It was so nice reuniting with her.  

 

15253408_1919646988263161_3262157272021875499_n.jpg?oh=64c376687ab92ac95ae3f7276c59961a&oe=58BD36D1

 

15253412_1919647098263150_8476078826781553109_n.jpg?oh=75952c83a19ab7a35e9393caff440b68&oe=58F936B5

 

Beautiful.

 

My nephew returned from France last week after completing the fall term there. He enjoyed his experience. He said he hopes to keep in touch with his host family and visit them again one day. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Beautiful.

 

My nephew returned from France last week after completing the fall term there. He enjoyed his experience. He said he hopes to keep in touch with his host family and visit them again one day. 

So fun.  Hopefully they will keep that connection.

 

This was the 2nd time Anna has returned for a visit since her time here as an exchange student.  This was the first time we met her husband, since they just married this past April.  They are already planning another visit in the future.  It really is nice to be able to keep in touch and visit with them.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2016 at 4:13 PM, shakedownstreet said:

Capture2_zpsnoraujio.jpg

 

Fart now loading... Please wait...

 

Last week, I drove past a bar that was advertising Duck Farts for $3.  I made a mental note to do a search to find out what that was, but forgot all about it until I saw your post.  So, thank you, shakedown!

 

Now, if anybody else is as clueless as I was; here is how a Duck Fart is made:

 

 

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can think of many things to do with $85.  Buying a rock in a leather pouch isn't one of them.  

 

Nordstrom's $85 rock wrapped in leather has sold out online

 

But, they are sold out.  So, I must be missing something.

 

Reminds me of the guy who became a millionaire by selling . . .  a rock in a box aka the Pet Rock.

 

Now, I'm thinking that I need to come up with another way to market a rock.  Any suggestions?

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, shecolt said:

But, they are sold out.  So, I must be missing something.

 

 

Free shipping!! Wow!!!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So very blessed to be surrounded by my husband, children and grandchildren yesterday to celebrate my birthday.   

Image may contain: 19 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gramz said:

So very blessed to be surrounded by my husband, children and grandchildren yesterday to celebrate my birthday.   

Image may contain: 19 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor

 

Looks like you had a happy one. Happy Belated Birthday!

 

You have a beautiful family. Which of the children is Tanner?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

Looks like you had a happy one. Happy Belated Birthday!

 

You have a beautiful family. Which of the children is Tanner?

Thank you, and Tanner is far left, back row.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does February only have 28 days?  It doesn't make any sense.  As it stands now, there are 7 months with 31 days, 4 months with 30 days, and then there's February.  If you took one day each from two of the months that have 31 days and gave those days to February, then you would have 5 months with 31 days and 7 months with 30 days.  That's a lot more balanced that what we have now.  What gives?  And yes, these are the kinds of things that I think about on a Friday night.  And yes, I realize that is probably why I'm still single.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2017 at 9:07 PM, JCPatriot said:

Why does February only have 28 days?  It doesn't make any sense.  As it stands now, there are 7 months with 31 days, 4 months with 30 days, and then there's February.  If you took one day each from two of the months that have 31 days and gave those days to February, then you would have 5 months with 31 days and 7 months with 30 days.  That's a lot more balanced that what we have now.  What gives?  And yes, these are the kinds of things that I think about on a Friday night.  And yes, I realize that is probably why I'm still single.

 

I appreciate people who think outside the box.  I did a search and it sounds like the answer to your question is the Romans:

 

January and February were the last two months to be added to the Roman calendar, since the Romans originally considered winter a monthless period. They were added by Numa Pompilius about 713 BC. February remained the last month of the calendar year until the time of the decemvirs (c. 450 BC), when it became the second month. At certain intervals February was truncated to 23 or 24 days, and a 27-day intercalary month, Intercalaris, was inserted immediately after February to realign the year with the seasons.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February

 

Now, here's what I was thinking about today.  Why are those little button batteries (or whatever they are called) so expensive?

 

I bought my husband a light that attaches to the bill on his hat.  Since his vision is so limited, I thought it would help him and it did.  
 

Now, I need to replace the batteries; but doing so would be more expensive than buying a new light that comes with the batteries.

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have something that definitely falls under "random"

 

Apparently the Indoor Football League opens up tonight with a game between the Salt Lake Screaming Eagles and the Nebraska Danger. Two teams Ive never heard of playing in a league I didnt know existed until about an hour ago.

Normally this would mean next to nothing to most of us, as this is a tier lower than even the Arena league and considering the flak that the current Colts get on this board I cant see most people watching football at this level. 

But in a strange turn of events, the Screaming Eagles have decided to let their fans call all of their offensive plays via a mobile app. Giving fans a choice of 4 plays, you vote and the highest voted play is called.

 

This seems completely ridiculous and might be worth checking out, if only to see that train wreck that is most likely to come. The game will be streaming live on youtube and the playcalling app is available for free to download. Seems like its a cheap few minutes of entertainment. haha

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2017 at 9:07 PM, shecolt said:

 

I appreciate people who think outside the box.  I did a search and it sounds like the answer to your question is the Romans:

 

January and February were the last two months to be added to the Roman calendar, since the Romans originally considered winter a monthless period. They were added by Numa Pompilius about 713 BC. February remained the last month of the calendar year until the time of the decemvirs (c. 450 BC), when it became the second month. At certain intervals February was truncated to 23 or 24 days, and a 27-day intercalary month, Intercalaris, was inserted immediately after February to realign the year with the seasons.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/February

 

Now, here's what I was thinking about today.  Why are those little button batteries (or whatever they are called) so expensive?

 

I bought my husband a light that attaches to the bill on his hat.  Since his vision is so limited, I thought it would help him and it did.  
 

Now, I need to replace the batteries; but doing so would be more expensive than buying a new light that comes with the batteries.

 

 

They are so expensive because they were originally designed and primarily used as batteries for watches. They have a high price point simply because the can get away with charging those prices in comparison to buying a new watch.

That being said those little lights have become so cheap that it will cost more then buying a new one to get any type of battery to replace it. I know they sell those small LED lights at the dollar store around here. Hard to find even AA batteries for less than a buck. 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonya Harding VS Nancy Kerrigan CAGEMATCH - tonight on FOX!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:07 PM, shecolt said:

At certain intervals February was truncated to 23 or 24 days, and a 27-day intercalary month, Intercalaris, was inserted immediately after February to realign the year with the seasons.

 

Don't the Jews also do this (adding a month to the year every now and then to realign the year with the seasons)?  I believe it is because the Jewish calendar is based on lunar cycles, which do not align with the revolution of the Earth about the sun.  Kind of like how we add a day to the year every four years because the period of rotation and the period of revolution of the Earth are not quite integer multiples of one another......except the discrepancy is much more severe for the lunar cycles.

 

So lately I have been thinking about music and why certain chords sound good to our ears and why other chords grate our minds like nails on a chalkboard.  There is no good explanation that I can come up with.  None of these sounds are natural sounds, so there is no primal reason why our ears should favor certain combinations of frequencies over other combinations (and that's all that a chord is, a combination of frequencies).  I understand the concepts of constructive and destructive interference and how constructive interference creates major chords, slight destructive interference creates minor chords, and heavy destructive interference creates dissonance.....which just sounds bad.  (I think that is how it works.  I could be wrong.)  I understand the physics involved, but that still doesn't explains why our minds say, "This sounds good," when our ears detect a major chord and why we cringe when our ears detect dissonance.  It seems so arbitrary.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 11, 2016 at 5:02 PM, shakedownstreet said:

 pulp-fiction-action-figure-the-gimp_96c5

Whoa...Hollywood will make a buck off of anything won't they? I dare ya to walk into say Toys R Us & ask an employee on duty to order that exact action figure for a relative next Christmas SDS. They're facial expression would be priceless. The employee in question I mean. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On December 16, 2016 at 6:38 AM, Gramz said:

So very blessed to be surrounded by my husband, children and grandchildren yesterday to celebrate my birthday.   

Image may contain: 19 people, people smiling, people standing and indoor

You're family is very photogenic Gramz. Happy Better Late Than Never Birthday! 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How come no sports teams have a pterodactyl for a mascot?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't there used to be a "Things That Drive You Nuts" thread.......or something like that?  I looked for it, but I couldn't find it, so I'm gonna use this thread to vent.  I live in New Jersey.  We are one of two states in the U.S. in which it is illegal to pump your own gas at a gas station..........because gasoline is a hazardous substance and should only be dispensed by trained professionals.......blah blah blah.  Anyway, I stopped to get gas last night because my tank was almost empty.  I tell the attendant to fill up the tank.  So he sets the pump on auto, and it clicks off at $23.02.  I see the price and just put my head in my hands and sigh because I know what is about to happen.  Sure enough, the attendant tries to top it off because they have an obsession with the price being an even dollar amount (no cents).  Well, he has 98¢ to go to get to the next even dollar and with gas prices what they are right now that is about half a gallon........and I don't have a half gallon of empty space left in my tank.  So he is literally running gas down the side of my car as the tank overflows while he is pumping it up to $24.00 even.  And I'm the one that can't be trusted to dispense gasoline.  Thank you, New Jersey state legislature......

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.