shecolt

The "Random Stuff" Thread, Part Two

235 posts in this topic

I know that I sometimes accidentally end up dominating threads. I promise not to do that here. Or, I will at least try to be more cognizant of my long-windedness anyway. LOL! I'm laughing at myself not anyone else. 

At any rate, it's nice to see a triumphant return from shecolt as well an extension of this random stuff thread. You were missed BTW. 

Chad72: You have raised a very caring & considerate daughter there. You should be very proud. 

20006CBE: Thank you for your obsolete, emergency cell phone story. I prefer anecdotes about people who aren't slaves to the latest forms of technology. I know some gizmos come in handy, which is perfectly fine. I just get a kick out of friends who go against popular trends occasionally I guess. 

1 person likes this

I couldn't find the Boxing Thread so I will post this here: Holly Holm loses to Miesha Tate. Rousey has beat Tate twice already. Holm's reign didn't last long did it? I really felt Rousey fought a dumb game plan against Holm and looked out of shape and uninspired. She tried to box her toe to toe which was dumb, Holm is the better Boxer with better footwork. Most people disagreed with me regarding Rousey but I really felt after watching the fight that Rousey didn't even want to be there. Tate just beat Holm by fighting smart, being in shape, and using hold's like Rousey should've had done, like Rousey has done a lot in the past. Tate put her in a choke hold to end the fight making her submit.

1 person likes this

Since I had no desire to start a new thread & what I watched was technically a dual Discovery Channel & Animal Planet TV Special, I decided to place my brief impressions of the show here. The show was a 2015 special called "Racing Extinction" which lasted about 1 hour & 35 minutes. In a nutshell, the program discussed leading scientists in their respective fields, primarily the oceans, the rainforests, the melting icecaps, C02 emissions, & methane emissions & how humans are accelerating their own downfall & demise. 

This special covers a lot of ground delvinging into the black market in China & Indonesia & their consumer thirst for whale meat, elephant tusks, exotic fish fins & gills used in ancient herbal remedies in the Far East, & the acidity of barrier reefs which is growing at an alarming rate. 

I remember when actor Leonardo DiCaprio won an Oscar for Best Actor at the Academy Awards this year for his role in the film "The Revenant" & he spoke about how far the movie crew had to travel just to locate snow. There's a scene in this TV Special where scientists travel to Antartica. They see snow level dropping & just under these growing pools of water they plunge long, wooden sticks into open methane pockets just beneath the surface. You're surrounded by snow & water & then a huge fire ball explodes in front of your face because the earth is raising it's temperature a few more degrees every single year. Whoa...Think about that for a second, you're surrounded by ice, or melting ice rather, at the coldest corner of the globe & less than a foot below developing water puddles large fireballs ignite with little provocation by mankind with a simple stick. Darn, that is seriously scary. 

The bulk of this program revolves around educating the public to eat less exotic sea life like shark or turtle soup, lowering nations dependency on fossil fuels, showing the next generation of children in Indonesia not to hunt stingrays to extinction instead encouraging them to start a boat tourism business to show visitors their unique marine life living in the water, & using photography & digital media presentations to raise awareness & hopefully generate funds to protect & preserve these endangered species because once they disappear we disappear as human beings. 

The cool part was at the tail end of this program where Travis Threlkel, the founder of Obscura Digital, assembled images & sounds to project on The United Nations building vivid HD pictures & stats of rare birds, frogs, bees, & leopards on the brink of disaster unless we make an effort to slow down their decline & save our oceans & marine life. Here is a preview of the trailer below: 

I'm not attempting to be an advocate or tree hugger here BTW. I just thought the show was interesting that's all. One problem I had with the TV special is this though: So many of these scientists catered their preservation arguments toward protecting the beauty & majesty of this natural wildlife both on land & in the water. However, if you wanna change a native populations hunting & fishing practices longterm you have to propose new jobs that exceed or surpass the income level they used to generate thru the illegal black market overseas. You can't expect every citizen in China or Indonesia to just buy a boat & start a scuba diving tourism business because a lot of these primitive societies are dirt poor & uneducated. 

I liken it to a US coal miner in his 50's. If he loses his job because the coal plant shuts down, what the hades is he gonna do for money now? How's he gonna put food on the table & provide for his family with no alternative source of revenue now? He's not gonna go back to school because even if he got an advanced degree no one will hire him down the road because of age discrimination since it's cheaper to hire a 20 yr. old for half the salary & benefits as a corporation. So, the coal figures it's better to die from lung cancer than re-educate himself for a better standard of living he will never gain access to, let alone have a better life. 

1 person likes this

On 3/5/2016 at 8:46 AM, coltsfansince65 said:

Thanks for sharing this wonderful, touching story.  I plan to check in from time to time & perhaps post something when ever I have something worth while to say.

Thank you!  And, I look forward to your posts as I'm sure that you have a lot that is worth while to say.

Also, this is a thread where you can post even if you don't have anything worthwhile to say . . . as evidenced by several of my own posts.

1 person likes this

On 3/6/2016 at 7:43 PM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

As an avid Fisherman I am very much looking forward to Spring. Just this weekend I came up from Champaign to back home in Northern Illinois and took advantage of the two days of ridiculous weather we had. The pond in my backyard unfroze for a day and I said "Why the hell not try to fish this sucker". Ended up with quite a few bucketmouths (albeit they were thin from the food scarcity) and randomly caught about 5 crappie on little spinner-baits. Each was over 8". I never knew a half acre pond could hold any crappie, let alone big ones like that. Looking forward to full on spring when the bucketmouths fill their frames out and keep growing. Every year they get bigger and it's very interesting to see how Fish keep the same habits season after season. 

I would love to have a pond . . . although they sound like a lot of work.

I've never heard of a bucketmouth.  What type of fish is that?

20 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I know that I sometimes accidentally end up dominating threads. I promise not to do that here. Or, I will at least try to be more cognizant of my long-windedness anyway. LOL! I'm laughing at myself not anyone else. 

At any rate, it's nice to see a triumphant return from shecolt as well an extension of this random stuff thread. You were missed BTW. 

Chad72: You have raised a very caring & considerate daughter there. You should be very proud. 

20006CBE: Thank you for your obsolete, emergency cell phone story. I prefer anecdotes about people who aren't slaves to the latest forms of technology. I know some gizmos come in handy, which is perfectly fine. I just get a kick out of friends who go against popular trends occasionally I guess. 

Thank you for the warm welcome back.

2 people like this

On 3/4/2016 at 0:35 AM, shecolt said:

In keeping with the phone theme, I'm here to rant.  :ticked:

My landline phone has been out for over a week.  When I reported the outage on Feb. 24th, I was told that they couldn't get here to fix it until March 2nd.

Stupid me . . . I actually thought they were talking about the year 2016 because here it is, March 4th; and I still don't have a working phone.  :ticked:

I'm quoting myself to continue with my rant.  :ticked:

When they didn't show up on the 2nd, I contacted the phone company and told them how important my phone was for me due to my granddaughter being on a transplant call list.  They assured me that I would be put on an expedited high priority ticket.

When they still didn't show up on the 4th, I contacted them again and was assured that I was on an expedited high priority ticket.  However, they still can't get here until at least tomorrow, the 7th . . . by which time I will have gone a week and a half without phone service.

I don't know if there is anything else out there available for someone like me who lives in a very rural area; but if I find out that there is, I'm ready to tell them where they can put their phone service.  :ticked:

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, shecolt said:

When they didn't show up on the 2nd, I contacted the phone company and told them how important my phone was for me due to my granddaughter being on a transplant call list.  They assured me that I would be put on an expedited high priority ticket.

When they still didn't show up on the 4th, I contacted them again and was assured that I was on an expedited high priority ticket.  However, they still can't get here until at least tomorrow, the 7th . . . by which time I will have gone a week and a half without phone service.

I don't know if there is anything else out there available for someone like me who lives in a very rural area; but if I find out that there is, I'm ready to tell them where they can put their phone service.  :ticked:

That stinks. Hopefully they get their butts out to your place tomorrow. That is pretty sad.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, shecolt said:

I would love to have a pond . . . although they sound like a lot of work.

I've never heard of a bucketmouth.  What type of fish is that?

I Should clarify. The pond is our suburbs retention pond, but the way the neighborhood is layed out makes it directly in my backyard only. 

A bucketmouth is just a bigger than usual Largemouth Bass. In the spring they'll get to 5-7lbs after they've refilled from the winter. Also, your whole fist can fit in their mouth hence the nickname. 

1 person likes this

On 3/7/2016 at 1:09 AM, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

I Should clarify. The pond is our suburbs retention pond, but the way the neighborhood is layed out makes it directly in my backyard only. 

A bucketmouth is just a bigger than usual Largemouth Bass. In the spring they'll get to 5-7lbs after they've refilled from the winter. Also, your whole fist can fit in their mouth hence the nickname. 

That sounds like the best kind of pond.  You get to enjoy it without having to do any of the upkeep yourself.

Since my husband also didn't know what a bucketmouth is, I have to thank you.  It was fun pretending that I actually knew something about fishing that he didn't.  

On 3/7/2016 at 11:25 PM, shecolt said:

Quoting myself again to continue ranting. :ticked:

When the 7th came and went with no sign of a serviceperson, I tried a new route.  I took it to their FB page. It's remarkable how fast the response was.  Within a few minutes, I had a private message and then an e-mail.  I'm guessing they didn't like having their dirty laundry aired in public.

So, lesson learned.  Forget trying to make calls where you waste time going through menu after menu and then being put on hold while the minutes tick by until someone is finally available to talk.  Just look to see if whatever company you are dealing with has a FB page.

The next day my phone was fixed . . . well sort of fixed.  I now have a dial tone and I can make calls, but no one can call me.  The same happens when I plug in a phone outside.

Once again, I have been promised that my phone will be fixed; but they can't possibly get her until the 16th.  :ticked:

Right now, I really don't care if they ever come.  After going without a properly working phone since Feb. 24th, I'm going to be checking into getting a wireless phone.  Friends have told me that they work great and I hope they are right because I will relish the opportunity to tell my present phone company where to go and what to do when they get there.  

1 person likes this

It's that time of year when I look at the seasonal candy and wonder why anyone likes those Cadbury creme eggs.  Just looking at them turns my stomach and I can't imagine eating that glob of sweet white & yellow fondant.

However, there must be a lot of people who like those things because they keep coming back year after year after year.  And, I recently saw that there is a Cadbury creme egg McFlurry in a few other countries.  Talk about sugar overload.

ccmcflur.jpg

Even worse, was reading about the pizza with these eggs as part of the topping.  I won't post that pic because I find it too disgusting.  But, if you have a strong stomach; you can view it here:

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2016/03/04/cadbury-creme-egg-pizza-is-thing/

1 person likes this

I like Cadbury creme eggs. I never thought to put them on pizza, but the photo looks interesting. I would actually try that. 

They also had some good commercials; the ones for the Cadbury bunny tryouts.

3 people like this

haha I  am pretty sure I fall into both categories. :P

11075279_10153095579791291_1245738625255

3 people like this

If any of you are in the market for a new home, there is one for sale in Fort Wayne that may be of interest to you.  I'd buy it myself, but I'm about $29,999,000 short.

It features 16 bedrooms, 28 bathrooms (2 of which are half baths), and 2 elevators.  There are also additional homes on the 50 acre property along with a 7 acre lake.  

5501 W Hamilton Rd S, Fort Wayne, IN 46814

For a virtual tour:

http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/5501-Hamilton_Fort-Wayne_IN_46814_M46078-74096

2 people like this

@shecolt I cannot possibly be responsible for cleaning that many bathrooms.  Also, who would i put in the 16 bedrooms?

1 person likes this

6 minutes ago, Nadine said:

@shecolt I cannot possibly be responsible for cleaning that many bathrooms.  Also, who would i put in the 16 bedrooms?

haha If you can afford that home, you won't be doing any cleaning. 

4 people like this

On 4/4/2016 at 6:59 AM, Nadine said:

The solution to your dilemma is simple.  Turn the home into a B & B type of retreat for the Colts.  You would then have many volunteers (including me) to help clean just for the chance to meet some of the players.

2 people like this

Maybe somebody already started a thread on this topic in the Misc. section that I haven't looked thru recently & if so, I apologize in advance. 

I just wanted to say that I find the new TV show On WGN called "Underground" very intriguing. It's set in 1857 Georgia on a cotton plantation prior to the Civil War. As the title suggests it revolves around the origins of slavery, the underground railroad, the rigors of bondage, forced labor, being whipped for disobedience, interracial intercourse for favors like keeping children shielded from harsh work in the hot sun, & court cases like the dred scott decision where slaves were not deemed free by simply fleeing to the north where slavery was forbidden. 

The show also deals with illiteracy, men hired to hunt down & kill slaves, white men from privileged society who struggled with the mistreatment of black men & women, the separation of families as they are sold on the auction block, a scheme to run away from plantation brutality toward freedom, setting fire to the cotton fields as a form of rebellion, & children of both races who grapple with the the dehumanization of another culture simply because their parents have taught them to distrust the other one based on social norms at the time & the color of their skin. 

It's fascinating to watch a white boy whose father is a slave hunter & how he knows it's wrong, but he wants to please his dad. Will he become as evil & cold blooded as his old man or will he see the light, stand up to his pop, & choose a different path in life?

Here's the trailer preview: 

I like how the runaways are forced to modify their plans due to paid bounty hunters on their tail & the social breakdown class wise from plantation owners, house slaves, field slaves, mercenaries, congressmen, & citizens appalled by slavery who decide to harbor slaves as they run because they can no longer sit idly by & do nothing even if it means their own death in the process. 

As a history buff & expert myself, I admire the relevancy of "Underground" right now as voting rights are being restricted & the rise of the "Black Lives Matter" Movement. I'm am not black myself, but I respect the plights they encounter in the 21st Century & I will stand with them to protect their right to be heard, listened to, & be treated with the dignity they deserve & not often receive sadly. 

The actress that plays "Rosalee" is spectacular IMO. 

http://www.wgnamerica.com/series/underground/cast-crew/rosalee

My children wouldn't need to hire that chef or nurse as those have never been my areas of expertise, but they would need to hire that clown to fill in for me. :)

Happy Mother's Day to all!

13087906_1147132148671480_73046398532773

4 people like this

Just a little "reality" TV show story that I want to share.

I know someone who will soon be participating in the filming of one of those shows where a prospective buyer looks at homes and then decides which home they want to purchase.  

However, the person I know has already purchased and moved into a home.  So, all personal items will be removed from her new home prior to the filming.  She and her husband will then tour several houses . . . including the one they already own.

After that, they will decide to purchase the home that they have already purchased and their personal items will be moved back into their new home.  :headspin:

1 person likes this

Wishing everyone a safe and happy Independence Day!

happy-fourth-of-july.gif

2 people like this

Since I had no desire to start a new thread & I needed to vent a little bit, I decided to talk briefly about a new show on HBO called "Any Given Wednesday" hosted by Bill Simmons. In particular, I want to discuss Mr. Simmons interview with guest Ben Affleck. The topic on the docket was deflate gate. Now, I like Ben as a director. He did a tremendous job starring in & filming the 2010 smash hit 'The Town' BTW. A great picture. Ben seems like a cool guy & on some level, I get his loyalty to the Patriots as a boy born & raised in Boston. 

For starters, Affleck's eyes looked glassy. He started tripping over his own words & he appeared to be intoxicated or more than a little buzzed on the air. Not a good look professionally & then he starts dropping F bombs left & right claiming that QB Tom Brady is being railroaded by an overzealous NFL Commissioner. Okay, the guy's passionate about defending Tommy Terrific in his eyes. Then, Ben goes on & on about how the whole Wells Report investigation is bull crap & how it's so over the line to suspend a SB Champion for 4 games over air pressure when QB Aaron Rogers over inflates his game balls on purpose. 

This is what NE enthusiasts always run to science & deflection. Alright, during the deflate game, the balls were properly inflated at half time & Brady kicked my Colt defenses caboose. I fully admit that. But, this case isn't about science. It's about following the rules & a rich guy thinking that the rules don't apply to him because he's elite in the sport of football. And, it's also about the Players Association trying to re-litigate the CBA after it had been signed in order to weaken Roger Goodell's power to discipline players as he deemed fit. 

Ben then proceeded to go on this long diatribe about how Brady was unfairly criticized for refusing to turn his cell phone over to league investigators. According to Ben, Brady probably didn't want private conversations leaked to the public about what NFL athletes he respected & what athletes he thought were clowns. Seriously Ben? Who cares? Brady's not losing a competitive edge even if this info was released to the public & league investigators asked Brady's legal counsel to print & turn over only relevant AFC Championship Game stuff or game ball prep conversation texts with his equipment managers directly thru his main attorney. League officials had no interest in handling his phone personally. SMH. 

Why do all these Brady loyalists act like a 4 game suspension is the equivalent to a 1st degree murder conviction  like Tommy is OJ Simpson & Roger Goodell is Mark Fuhrman back in the mid nineties man? It's ridiculous. So, does that mean the bloody glove represents PSI air pressure levels then? LOL! Ben continues on stating that the league is wasting millions on this trumped up shame case instead of paying attention to proper steroid testing in all locker rooms or letting NFL stars skate on domestic violence charges off the field. UM, Ray Rice lost his career in Baltimore & paid a heavy price for his actions in Atlanta. Not to mention the NFL now has a panel of female experts who investigate domestic abuse charges that players commit away from the team facilities. Greg Hardy is no longer on an active roster either as I recall Mr. Affleck. 

The whole interview was a cry me a river love fest over Tom Brady. It's like a devoted fan that screams "Leave Brady alone!" & then they start crying in their beverage incessantly. Sigh...The dude is rich, married to a supermodel, won't even feel a suspension financially, & the good life on easy street will continue without any interruption or downside at all. Lighten up Ben & Bill. 

Okay sure, it's a brand new show & the guy wanted ratings. Mission accomplished. I do agree with Ben on 1 point: The owners wanted payback on Spygate & losing to Foxboro all the time so they figured why not...Let's go for a 2nd bite at the punishment apple & this time make NE pay dearly. Yep. There's more than a grain of truth salt there. More like a fully loaded dump truck. 

In conclusion, Ben Affleck is a great director, mediocre actor, nice guy, & I don't hate the man's guts. I admire his devotion to his favorite football team, but I think his assertions over deflate gate & the commissioner are more than a little over the top. 

NE is still a top tier elite club even if Jimmy G. is under center for 4 games in 2016. 

I went to my nieces birthday party  (shes not my blood related niece but I consider her and her parents family). She turned 3 years old. It was awesome seeing all the friends that were at it, and they cooked burgers, brats and hot dogs on the grill. It was such an enjoyable time. Hope everybody else had a great sunday :)

1 person likes this

My husband pulled a muscle in his back a couple weeks ago, and made several trips to the chiropractor. He's improving, but still has to be careful how he moves, and is unable to do any heavy lifting.

Sunday we noticed our neighbor mowing our lawn. We hadn't asked her to do it; she took it upon herself to help us out like that. I thought that was so generous of her; my husband paid her a little extra today. She didn't expect or ask for the money, but we felt that we needed to pay her back for that and in other ways she has helped us.

Just wanted others to know that there still are some good people around, and that not everyone is out for themselves.  That made our day.

3 people like this

On July 14, 2016 at 2:00 PM, shakedownstreet said:

scratch_n_sniff_zpssl9blwmb.png

Please tell me that smiley face is chocolate pudding SDS. No, I didn't think so. A melted pudding pop then? Alright I surrender. It's a dropping. I get it. I never knew manure cold be so happy. 

Just ate some fried chicken, mashed potatoes and corn.

Anybody else love fried chicken?

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I have a great recipe for frying chicken but it's not the most healthiest for sure. It's an old southern style before people quit using lard. :D

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I have a great recipe for frying chicken but it's not the most healthiest for sure. It's an old southern style before people quit using lard. :D

Theres nothing like southern food. I have family in kentucky and the food down there is just the best. Its more fattening but I don't mind lol. 

3 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Corn doesn't agree with my digestive track, but if we can replace them with green beans or Bush's original baked beans, I'm game RTB. :thmup:

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Theres nothing like southern food. I have family in kentucky and the food down there is just the best. Its more fattening but I don't mind lol. 

Yeah, I grew up on a farm in Tenn. and then worked on another till I went into the Army. The eating was something at both places. There was certain staples on the table at every meal. I would almost need to write a mini book to list all the good stuff. One thing to keep in mind on working on a farm there is plenty work to keep the cholesterol and the weight down. haha----If I ate like that now I would weight 300 lbs.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Corn doesn't agree with my digestive track, but if we can replace them with green beans or Bush's original baked beans, I'm game RTB. :thmup:

I love green beans too. 

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I love green beans too. 

Country style would have bacon grease, new potatoes and ham hocks in them cooked all day. Three ya go, real green beans! lol

2 people like this

Drove by a packed Waffle House earlier and realized I absolutely have to go eat breakfast there again sometime soon. I love breakfast and I absolutely love the waffles from there. Im craving them now even though I had chicken earlier haha

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Drove by a packed Waffle House earlier and realized I absolutely have to go eat breakfast there again sometime soon. I love breakfast and I absolutely love the waffles from there. Im craving them now even though I had chicken earlier haha

They serve a pretty good BLT too.