shecolt

The "Random Stuff" Thread, Part Two

235 posts in this topic

 

 

Some of you may remember me, some of you have never heard of me.  Either way, I'm back after being gone for a while as I worked on trying to turn some of life's lemons into lemonade.

 

While I still have a lot of lemons; I've really missed the smiles, thoughts, and friendship that so many here provided.  So, I'm going to be starting some threads in this forum that I'm hoping will help all of us get through the long, boring off season.

 

I had started a thread like this one a long time ago, but it has since been archived.  So, I'm starting another one as it was a thread that I really enjoyed.

 

As the name indicates, the purpose of this thread is for any random stuff that you may wish to share.  It isn't meant to deter anyone from starting a thread or posting a status update, but merely another venue for you to share.

 

It can be a personal story or photo.  It can be an amusing/interesting story you read in the news.  It can be a tip or a bit of trivia.  In other words, as long as board rules are met; this thread can take you wherever you want.

 

Now, I'm going to kick this thread off by making another post in which I will share what I found to be a warm/fuzzy story.

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My mother has been in a long-term care facility (aka nursing home) for the past year.  During that time, I have seen a lot of groups/organizations come in to help entertain and spread some cheer. However, I recently saw something that I hadn't seen before.

 

Three teenage girls came in bearing huge bouquets of Valentine balloons and a basket of velvet roses. They handed these items to the residents in the common area while also spending time chatting with them.

 

I'm guessing they must have taken one look at me and thought . . . "I wonder how long that poor soul has been here?" . . . because they also gave me a balloon and a velvet rose.

 

I didn't want to offend them by refusing.  So when they left, I took the opportunity to pay it forward by giving my balloon to a woman whose husband had recently passed and would be spending her first Valentine's Day in over 65 years without the love of her life.  My velvet rose went to a woman who had recently moved in as I thought it would be a good way to welcome her.

 

The best part of this story (and the reason I wanted to share) was that these three girls weren't there representing any organization or group.  This was something that they had just decided they wanted to do so they went to some local businesses asking for a discount and got some financial help from their families.

 

While I'm still looking in the mirror and thinking that botox may not be such a bad idea, I'm extremely thankful to these girls for demonstrating what is so right and so good about the youth of today since we so often hear the opposite.

8 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome back, friend.    I look forward to this Random stuff thread.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I plan on visiting and posting in this section quite a bit in the coming weeks.

It will be a nice change of pace.

 

I'm ready for winter to be gone for good and looking forward to Spring and all that it has to offer.

 

Special Olympic track practice starts up in a few weeks and I always look forward to seeing all the athletes every Spring.

 

Ron and I played music this past Saturday for a dance.  It was alot of fun for us,  seeing how gigs are few and far between these days,  although we do have one more engagement scheduled for next weekend. :applause:

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 8 year old daughter has this friend named Claire who is very well behaved and nice to her. Her Mom is nice in public situations and mostly interacts with my wife. However, she can tend to ignore my wife in private situations and when it was Claire's b-day party, she did not invite my daughter. We wondered about it since they play together often and she invited the other kids she plays with in tandem with my daughter but did not make a big deal about it.

 

It was the turn of my daughter to make a list of invites for her birthday party and since we were having a balloon animal maker and were paying for him to make balloons for all the girls in the party, in order for the girls to have enough balloons made, we decided to keep the size of the party small. One of the first few names my daughter chose was Claire. I asked her that even though Claire did not invite her, why would she still invite Claire? She said, "because she is my friend."

 

Very simple words that showed me how bigger her heart is than mine, how much more forgiving the little ones are compared to the adults who seem to be the one that harbor perceived slights. My daughter taught me a lesson that day :). Random stuff, hope it made your day.

7 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me tell you about the day I had yesterday.

 

As part of my job and profession I am required to  always be up-to-date with CPR, First Aid, MUI and other training and certifications.  In addition to these we are also required  to have training on other areas that apply to my profession.  

 

Yesterday as part of my ongoing certifications I had an 8 hour  in-service training day on other subjects. Let me re-phrase that.  It was supposed to be an 8 hour inservice training.  All things considered, it ended up only being a little over 5 hours of class time.

 

The instructions for this day stated Training from 9:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.  

Please arrive 15 minutes early.  

We will  only break for a half hour lunch.

Please pack a brown bag lunch as there is limited carryout places in the area. 

 

Sounds Great, right..?

 

First of all people were still straggling in as late as 9:30. (remember start time 9:00)

We took a 15 min. break at 10:00.  (but we were only going to break for lunch)

Out of 35 participants, Myself and one other person were the ONLY ones that brought a lunch so the instructor decided to give a 1 hour 15 minute lunch break. (remember, we were going to take a 1/2 break for lunch).

Afternoon session started back up around 1:30 because people took longer than the 1 hr. 15 min. break which was only supposed to be 1/2 hour to begin with.

We had another break at 2:15 

Class was over at 3:30.

 

Most of the participants had their noses in their phones for most of the day.

 

What is happening?   And what happened to following instructions and sticking to schedules?

:scratch:    Do people follow instructions anymore..?    Do people pay attention when taking classes or do they just show up for credit hours?

 

I am supposed to fill out an evaluation form on what I thought of the class and instructor.  

I feel the need to be honest.

 

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, NFLfan said:

I am so glad to see you back, SheColt!

 

14 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Welcome back, friend.    I look forward to this Random stuff thread.  

 

Awh, thank you so much.  I've really missed chatting with both of you.  :grouphug:

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

I plan on visiting and posting in this section quite a bit in the coming weeks.

It will be a nice change of pace.

 

I'm ready for winter to be gone for good and looking forward to Spring and all that it has to offer.

 

Special Olympic track practice starts up in a few weeks and I always look forward to seeing all the athletes every Spring.

 

Ron and I played music this past Saturday for a dance.  It was alot of fun for us,  seeing how gigs are few and far between these days,  although we do have one more engagement scheduled for next weekend. :applause:

 

If I ever get really rich, I'm going to have a big party and fly you and Ron into the Fort to entertain because I'd love to hear your beautiful voice.  

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

@chad72 Thank you for sharing your story.  It made my day also and had me thinking how great this world would be if we were all as gracious and forgiving as your daughter.  You and your wife has done an amazing job raising your little girl.  

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Let me tell you about the day I had yesterday.

 

As part of my job and profession I am required to  always be up-to-date with CPR, First Aid, MUI and other training and certifications.  In addition to these we are also required  to have training on other areas that apply to my profession.  

 

Yesterday as part of my ongoing certifications I had an 8 hour  in-service training day on other subjects. Let me re-phrase that.  It was supposed to be an 8 hour inservice training.  All things considered, it ended up only being a little over 5 hours of class time.

 

The instructions for this day stated Training from 9:00 a.m. until 5:30 p.m.  

Please arrive 15 minutes early.  

We will  only break for a half hour lunch.

Please pack a brown bag lunch as there is limited carryout places in the area. 

 

Sounds Great, right..?

 

First of all people were still straggling in as late as 9:30. (remember start time 9:00)

We took a 15 min. break at 10:00.  (but we were only going to break for lunch)

Out of 35 participants, Myself and one other person were the ONLY ones that brought a lunch so the instructor decided to give a 1 hour 15 minute lunch break. (remember, we were going to take a 1/2 break for lunch).

Afternoon session started back up around 1:30 because people took longer than the 1 hr. 15 min. break which was only supposed to be 1/2 hour to begin with.

We had another break at 2:15 

Class was over at 3:30.

 

Most of the participants had their noses in their phones for most of the day.

 

What is happening?   And what happened to following instructions and sticking to schedules?

:scratch:    Do people follow instructions anymore..?    Do people pay attention when taking classes or do they just show up for credit hours?

 

I am supposed to fill out an evaluation form on what I thought of the class and instructor.  

I feel the need to be honest.

 

 

 

 

Ugh, and these were all adults???

 

You've also reminded me of one of my pet peeves . . . people who pay more attention to their phones than they do to those around them. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, shecolt said:

 

Ugh, and these were all adults???

 

You've also reminded me of one of my pet peeves . . . people who pay more attention to their phones than they do to those around them. 

Yes.  All Adults.   And yes, that is a pet peeve of mine as well.

I was so aggravated when I got home,  that 

1.  people don't show up on time.

2.  people don't follow directions (it clearly stated bring a lunch, we don't have time for a long lunch break)

3.  people paid more attention to their phones than they did to the instructor.

4.  If I had been teaching the class (which I very well could have)  I would have insisted that all phones be turned off.

5.  What a waste of a day to sit in a class where I felt like I knew more and had more experience than the instructor.  I didn't feel like I learned anything new.

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I said, this thread can take you anywhere you want.

 

For those of you who enjoy quizzes, that is where it's taking me tonight.

 

This is a quiz you can take to see what type of American accent you have:

 

http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have

 

My result was just what I thought it would be . . . I'm 100% Midland.

 

However, the quiz also told me that I had a good voice for radio and TV which is laughable because I would become so nervous if I was on the air that my speech would probably more closely resemble Pig Latin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^  I got Inland North, which is really funny, because when people hear me talk, and sing,  they ask me what part of the South I am from. haha

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, shecolt said:

 

 

@chad72 Thank you for sharing your story.  It made my day also and had me thinking how great this world would be if we were all as gracious and forgiving as your daughter.  You and your wife has done an amazing job raising your little girl.  

 

Thanks. Frankly, my daughter gets it more from my wife who is laid back and speaks only when necessary. People gravitate towards my wife for being that "go with the flow, gracious" person and it definitely rubs off on my daughter, more than the hyperactive "me" who has to make his voice heard more often than not. I guess opposites attract but hey, someone has to start a conversation. It would be boring coming home to a mirror image of me, so there is that too, at least I am being honest.  :)

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Yes.  All Adults.   And yes, that is a pet peeve of mine as well.

I was so aggravated when I got home,  that 

1.  people don't show up on time.

2.  people don't follow directions (it clearly stated bring a lunch, we don't have time for a long lunch break)

3.  people paid more attention to their phones than they did to the instructor.

4.  If I had been teaching the class (which I very well could have)  I would have insisted that all phones be turned off.

5.  What a waste of a day to sit in a class where I felt like I knew more and had more experience than the instructor.  I didn't feel like I learned anything new.

 

 

This is what is plaguing the current generation, low attention spans and instant gratification.

 

Employers are having to re-train new entry level folks more on the social aspect of team work because a lot of folks seem to be lone wolves married to their little world of their phones and social media. It is easier for an employer to pick up the phone and hire someone across the world more than before, thanks to advances in technology. So, our young ones that grow up to be adults will be competing with more than just folks around them to get ahead, that is something they need to be prepared for, IMO. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

^^^^  I got Inland North, which is really funny, because when people hear me talk, and sing,  they ask me what part of the South I am from. haha

 

I got Inland North too -- 93%.

Right below that, I got 87% Philadelphia and 85% Northeast. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

This is what is plaguing the current generation, low attention spans and instant gratification.

 

Employers are having to re-train new entry level folks more on the social aspect of team work because a lot of folks seem to be lone wolves married to their little world of their phones and social media. It is easier for an employer to pick up the phone and hire someone across the world more than before, thanks to advances in technology. So, our young ones that grow up to be adults will be competing with more than just folks around them to get ahead, that is something they need to be prepared for, IMO. 

 

Your post reminded of a book I am reading.  Since it's fiction, I'm hoping that they are exaggerating.  

 

The book is a mystery that revolves around the computer world . . . in particular gaming (along with a lot of lingo that I had never heard).  It goes into great depth about how some have let the gaming world replace the real world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This morning, I was reading an article about the newest Hershey kiss . . . which is the flavor of carrot cake. I tried the pumpkin spice ones last fall and wasn't a big fan, but I do love carrot cake.  

 

Anyhow, I was reading some of the comments made to this article and that's what brings me here.  Of course, some of those comments included the usual negativity of others complaining by saying that Hershey kisses should just taste like chocolate . . . as if they are going to stop making those in lieu of the carrot cake ones.  

 

In reply, someone mentioned how staid Americans can be and referred to the numerous flavors of Kit Kat bars that can be found elsewhere.  I've had green tea Kit Kat bars, but I was curious as to what other flavors there may be . . . so I did a search and was rather amazed at all the flavors to be found (especially in Japan).

 

Some of them sound good such as strawberry and cookie dough, but I can't say that I would want to be trying a sweet corn or soy sauce Kit Kat bar anytime soon.

 

Here's the link if anyone would like to see all the flavors:

 

http://www.buzzfeed.com/lydiah/35-kit-kat-varieties-from-around-the-world-18d7

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2016 at 10:34 PM, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Yes.  All Adults.   And yes, that is a pet peeve of mine as well.

I was so aggravated when I got home,  that 

1.  people don't show up on time.

2.  people don't follow directions (it clearly stated bring a lunch, we don't have time for a long lunch break)

3.  people paid more attention to their phones than they did to the instructor.

4.  If I had been teaching the class (which I very well could have)  I would have insisted that all phones be turned off.

5.  What a waste of a day to sit in a class where I felt like I knew more and had more experience than the instructor.  I didn't feel like I learned anything new.

 

I don't even own a cell phone. None of any kind. Considering most think social media means more communication. Just the opposite. I was watching a family at a well known restaurant and I bet they didn't say 10 words to each other the whole meal. They were to busy being on their phones. Sad.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The weather in Indiana is too funny. Last Saturday it was 72 here in Indy and the last 2 days it was cold and snowy. Is it spring yet?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't even own a cell phone. None of any kind. Considering most think social media means more communication. Just the opposite. I was watching a family at a well known restaurant and I bet they didn't say 10 words to each other the whole meal. They were to busy being on their phones. Sad.

 

I have a cell phone, but it just does the basics and is one of those pay-as-you-go things.  My main purpose for getting it was to take with me when I travel and to make long distance calls.  So, I often go a month or more without even using it.

 

I know a few people who have combated the problem you mentioned by playing the game of stacking their phones face down on the table after they order.  If any one of them picks up the phone while they are dining, that person pays the bill for everyone.  I'm told that solves the problem very well. :)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

The weather in Indiana is too funny. Last Saturday it was 72 here in Indy and the last 2 days it was cold and snowy. Is it spring yet?

 

You've got that right.  t-shirts on Saturday, warnings of heavy snow on Thursday, and it sounds like we may be back to those t-shirts on Sunday.

 

Here's a pic that a friend posted on FB that made me smile when we were being warned about the heavy snow (my area only got a dusting of the 3-7 inches predicted).  

 

12729390_967015196709632_231787346293993

 

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My husband and I were having a discussion while eating dinner tonight.  The topic started with plans for a garden and then went to tomatoes . . . as to whether they were a fruit or a vegetable.

 

He insisted that a tomato is a vegetable.  I told him that a tomato is a fruit. In order to find the words to better explain why a tomato is a fruit from a botanical viewpoint, I did a search.

 

As I was looking through the different entries trying to decide which one to click on, one of them had me going . . . huh???

 

What I learned and want to share is that in 1893, the Supreme Court ruled that a tomato is a vegetable pretty much just because people think it is.  That ruling continues to stand.

 

http://www.businessinsider.com/supreme-court-tomato-is-vegetable-2013-12

 

So, I told my husband that he won this one. :(

 

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shakedownstreet said:

tumblr_o0fighH8J91sjz2xuo1_500_zpsqhhiig

recycling...??? haha

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My grandson and granddaughter both have February birthdays.  So, a party for both of them was held yesterday and I would like to share two pictures.

 

Since my grandson is at the age where he thinks pirates are cool, I gave him a chest filled with hidden treasures . . . which means there were a lot of little goodies wrapped in white tissue paper hidden among all those packing peanuts.  Yes, it did make a bit of a mess; but he loved it and the cleanup was very easy.  I thought I was being rather creative until I saw a present given to my granddaughter.

 

I was more than a bit amazed by the creativity that was used to make this activity board . . . with the working lights, zipper, string of buttons, locks etc.  While it will be especially helpful during her therapy for fine motor skills, it was something that all the children there loved.  

 

12799449_1271238039560250_6272222543858612790955_1271238289560225_73974643452442

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 9:47 PM, crazycolt1 said:

I don't even own a cell phone. None of any kind. Considering most think social media means more communication. Just the opposite. I was watching a family at a well known restaurant and I bet they didn't say 10 words to each other the whole meal. They were to busy being on their phones. Sad.

I have one but it is basic and old. I have the same one since 2009 haha Only reason why I have it is because for work purposes and emergency situations. Never know when something goofy can happen so it is good to have one for that. My phone is so basic it would make people laugh if they seen it.

3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to the current cell phone phenomena, this Louis C.K clip from Conan is absolutely genius, and almost touches on a deeper level of our postmodern spiritual well being...

 

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/2/2016 at 8:15 PM, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Good advice.

 

12718119_10209020737220677_1632669073704

 

I really like that.   Although there is some controversy over who the quote should be attributed to, it reminds me of one of my favorite quotes . . . Why not go out on a limb?  That's where the fruit is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In keeping with the phone theme, I'm here to rant.  :ticked:

 

My landline phone has been out for over a week.  When I reported the outage on Feb. 24th, I was told that they couldn't get here to fix it until March 2nd.

 

Stupid me . . . I actually thought they were talking about the year 2016 because here it is, March 4th; and I still don't have a working phone.  :ticked:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shecolt said:

In keeping with the phone theme, I'm here to rant.  :ticked:

 

My landline phone has been out for over a week.  When I reported the outage on Feb. 24th, I was told that they couldn't get here to fix it until March 2nd.

 

Stupid me . . . I actually thought they were talking about the year 2016 because here it is, March 4th; and I still don't have a working phone.  :ticked:

Heck, consider yourself lucky even to find someone to talk to. Most of the time the only time you get to talk to them is when you bill is due. They have no problem contacting you. :D

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, shecolt said:

In keeping with the phone theme, I'm here to rant.  :ticked:

 

My landline phone has been out for over a week.  When I reported the outage on Feb. 24th, I was told that they couldn't get here to fix it until March 2nd.

 

Stupid me . . . I actually thought they were talking about the year 2016 because here it is, March 4th; and I still don't have a working phone.  :ticked:

That is another reason why having a cell phone is important, I mainly have mine for emergency situations and this would be one. I am hardly ever on my phone unless it's super important. I have an old school phone that is tiny and don't even have internet on it haha I use my laptop to come here.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/28/2016 at 8:09 PM, shakedownstreet said:

tumblr_o0fighH8J91sjz2xuo1_500_zpsqhhiig

Just wondering if this image has any relation to your screen name????????????

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/24/2016 at 11:08 PM, shecolt said:

My mother has been in a long-term care facility (aka nursing home) for the past year.  During that time, I have seen a lot of groups/organizations come in to help entertain and spread some cheer. However, I recently saw something that I hadn't seen before.

 

Three teenage girls came in bearing huge bouquets of Valentine balloons and a basket of velvet roses. They handed these items to the residents in the common area while also spending time chatting with them.

 

I'm guessing they must have taken one look at me and thought . . . "I wonder how long that poor soul has been here?" . . . because they also gave me a balloon and a velvet rose.

 

I didn't want to offend them by refusing.  So when they left, I took the opportunity to pay it forward by giving my balloon to a woman whose husband had recently passed and would be spending her first Valentine's Day in over 65 years without the love of her life.  My velvet rose went to a woman who had recently moved in as I thought it would be a good way to welcome her.

 

The best part of this story (and the reason I wanted to share) was that these three girls weren't there representing any organization or group.  This was something that they had just decided they wanted to do so they went to some local businesses asking for a discount and got some financial help from their families.

 

While I'm still looking in the mirror and thinking that botox may not be such a bad idea, I'm extremely thankful to these girls for demonstrating what is so right and so good about the youth of today since we so often hear the opposite.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful, touching story.  I plan to check in from time to time & perhaps post something when ever I have something worth while to say.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an avid Fisherman I am very much looking forward to Spring. Just this weekend I came up from Champaign to back home in Northern Illinois and took advantage of the two days of ridiculous weather we had. The pond in my backyard unfroze for a day and I said "Why the hell not try to fish this sucker". Ended up with quite a few bucketmouths (albeit they were thin from the food scarcity) and randomly caught about 5 crappie on little spinner-baits. Each was over 8". I never knew a half acre pond could hold any crappie, let alone big ones like that. Looking forward to full on spring when the bucketmouths fill their frames out and keep growing. Every year they get bigger and it's very interesting to see how Fish keep the same habits season after season. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We provided the music for a friend's birthday party this evening.   The theme of the party was to wear your favorite sports jersey or shirt.      I wore my Colts Super Bowl jersey :)   My husband was the lone Broncos fan at the party.  

vfw.jpg

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

We provided the music for a friend's birthday party this evening.   The theme of the party was to wear your favorite sports jersey or shirt.      I wore my Colts Super Bowl jersey :)   My husband was the lone Broncos fan at the party.  

vfw.jpg

Thanks for the background info above your picture Gramz/Misunderstood. I always love to see my friends having a good time rocking out. You were one of the 1st friends I made on the Forum & I just really admire how nice you are, how funny you are, & how smart you are. Plus, anybody that entertains people with good music like you & your husband do is automatically awesome to yours truly. 

 

Yes, I know. I've never heard you play live I know. But, I have a sixth sense about musical talent ever since I was a little munchkin & I just know you guys are darn good. Plus, I just enjoy people who know when to cut loose & have fun. I hope everyone at the party had a blast! Of course they did because you were there right? :P

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.