Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scouting notes -- Pitt WR, Tyler Boyd

Nice receiver with good college production as the primary weapon for a limited QB. Had a DUI last offseason when he was only 20 years old, received a year of probation as a first time offender. Reports have said that he had a BAC lower than .08, but because he was underage, he was charged anyway. Obviously a series of bad decisions led to the incident, but it doesn't seem like a major issue. He was suspended one game in 2015. 

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/tyler-boyd/

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tyler-boyd-1.html

Size: Listed at about 6'2", 200 pounds. Kind of thin, but has a good frame that can easily support a little more muscle. Long arms and big hands. 3/5

Athleticism: Not impressive athletically. Doesn't have elite top end speed, isn't particularly quick in short area. Has some quickness, and definitely has good feet, which help him to shake defenders and create separation at times, and he comes out of his breaks cleanly and with good burst. There's a little bit of a 6th gear at times when he has the ball and room to run, but he's not a burner and rarely runs away from defenders. Good change of direction, good balance. Not a great leaper. 6/10, he has quick twitch characteristics

Hands: Strong hands, good catching ability, extends hands away from body to increase his catch radius in all directions, goes down to get low passes, and can snatch it out of the air, whether it's above him, behind him, whatever. Not consistent catching the ball when contested, and sometimes loses on plays that he should win because of a lack of aggression. 8/10

Routes: Good technical ability running routes, setting up defenders, getting off the line cleanly, positioning himself in short yardage situations, etc. Works zones well, seems to understand how to beat all different coverages. Good feet, patient route runner, keeps hands working in concert with legs, gives QB a clean target on slant routes. Has a feel for the ball when it's in the air, stacks defenders on go routes. Lines up all over the field and runs routes both ways, breaks well to the sideline and on comebacks and quick stop routes; defenders seem to respect him as a deep threat, so maybe I'm missing something on his speed. Either way, he's a smooth and polished route runner who will pick up more tricks with NFL coaching. 9/10

(Gif machine isn't working, so go to his Iowa cut-up and go to the 5:46 point and watch him take a defender apart.)

Physicality: Not very physical, either at the line of scrimmage or when the ball is in the air. Seems bothered by hands-y and aggressive DBs, especially if he doesn't beat them initially. Does a good job of maintaining position when the ball is in the air, but can let defenders come through him and ride him off the spot or out of bounds. Decent blocking ability, shows some violent hands at times, but not a road grader or even necessarily that competitive in blocking situations. I'd consider him a finesse player. Has the potential to be much more, given his size and frame. 5/10

Body control / adjustment ability: Always seems to be in control of his body, feet, hands, arms, hips. Patient runner, with and without the ball, keeps his feet under him, changes direction decisively and with burst, but not wildly. Positions well, keeps a good distance away from the sideline to give the QB room to throw it outside, didn't play with good QBs but seems like he'd be a great stop fade receiver. Shows ability to adjust well to the ball, comes back for underthrows, gets low to pluck the ball, can reach behind him to make acrobatic catches. Moderate beef is that he shows some passiveness on comeback plays rather than going to get the ball, sometimes allowing the defender to make a play that he's in better position for. 7.5/10

Elusiveness: Kind of covered already, but he has moves to make defenders miss and get separation from coverage. Not necessarily explosive, but has some wiggle. 6/10

Run blocking: Also covered in physicality, kind of underwhelming for his size, takes bad angles at times and sometimes takes plays off. Has the size and ability, just doesn't seem that dedicated. He's a high usage player, so he might be preserving energy or protecting himself. 2/5

Overall: 47.5/70, 68%, 2nd/3rd rounder, potential to move higher if he runs well at the Combine

Scheme fit: 5/5, no issues, could play inside and outside, and has some kick/punt return experience

Polished, experienced, technically sound player with proven production who has some upside as a technician, and if he's faster than I think he is then he can be a big time weapon in the NFL. Reminds me of a slightly smaller and less aggressive Jordan Matthews, of whom I was a big fan two years ago. Boyd doesn't have elite physical traits, but he can play right away for a team needing receiver help. He's not a first rounder, IMO, so I don't think his DUI is a major factor, but teams will obviously check him out. He's been a model citizen otherwise, from what I can see. I think he'll be a top 75 selection, maybe a top 50 selection.

I think we need a Plaxico Burress type of guy to go with what we already have.  I'm looking at this old Giants vs Pats Superbowl and I like the mix of guys they had with Burress, Steve Smith, Amani Toomer and the other little guy they had.  Moncrief can be Toomer, Dorsett can be Steve Smith.