Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Under the Radar Profile: Yannick Ngakoue, Edge Maryland

This is entry number 3 in my Under The radar series.

Previous Profiles;

1. Karl Joseph, S WVU

2. Deion Jones, LB LSU

This profile will be on Yannick Ngakoue, Edge from University of Maryland 

Size: Listed at 6'2", 255

Games Watched: vs Iowa 2014 and South Florida 2015

Strengths: Ngakoue has impressive size and length for his position. While he switched to DE this year , he played a traditional 3-4 OLB the year before and his size is perfect there. He shows really good sped off the edge and uses his length to his advantage. Has shown a bull rush move that gave even Brandon Scherff problems, showing that he has good initial strength for the next level. Overall a good mix of speed, size, and power, essential building blocks of a 3-4 rush LB. Shows good bend.

Weaknesses: To say he struggles to get off blocks is an understatement. Guys will latch on to him and never let go. That's pretty much what happened against Iowa, granted that was a very talented OL. Instincts and play recognition don't appear to be there, making me question his football IQ. He's late to react to even basic running plays and when he does see it, it's either too late or like I said before, he's being washed out the play. Has a bad habit of ducking his head into the defender's chest which also leads to him being shut down on most pass rush attempts. Didn't see him dropped into coverage but I'll assume from his lack of instincts that he can't. Hands aren't as violent as you would like.

Pro-Comparison- n/a or provide your own if you like

Projection: While he has all the measurables you look for in a traditional 3-4 OLB, Ngakoue is very raw and unrefined. I was really concerned that he didn't absolutely dominate against USF considering it's a small school, but I see why. Unlike Lawson or Spence, he doesn't appear to have the natural feel for the game. Most of his flaws appear coachable, but I still see him as a 4th round pick. I think he needs about 2 seasons of work before he starts. Upside is tremendous though.

I agree with you for the most part. I think he has the upside to be a very good pass rusher. Like you said though. It may take a year to develop, adjust to the league, and fix his technique a bit. But I really like him as our 4th or 5th round pick. I've said over and over that I'm all for drafting 2 EDGE guys early. If we could get Noah Spence at 18 and Ngawkoue in the 4th or 5th I would be very, very pleased. I'm trying to think of a comparison for him and all I can think of is maybe a taller Elvis Dumervil. That would obviously be his ceiling in all likelihood. I'll tell you another late round, raw EDGE rusher with tons of upside that I like. Victor Ochi.

1 hour ago, COLTS449 said:

I agree with you for the most part. I think he has the upside to be a very good pass rusher. Like you said though. It may take a year to develop, adjust to the league, and fix his technique a bit. But I really like him as our 4th or 5th round pick. I've said over and over that I'm all for drafting 2 EDGE guys early. If we could get Noah Spence at 18 and Ngawkoue in the 4th or 5th I would be very, very pleased. I'm trying to think of a comparison for him and all I can think of is maybe a taller Elvis Dumervil. That would obviously be his ceiling in all likelihood. I'll tell you another late round, raw EDGE rusher with tons of upside that I like. Victor Ochi.

I also like drafting 2 Edge guys early. Ngakoue needs work but I feel very confident in the ability of our new DC and LB coach to develop guys like him into a good player. But I'll add Ochi to my list. I also plan on watching Kyle Fackrell as well. Lots of edge rushers to get excited about.

He has average burst off the edge and sometimes is late in my opinion. He has only average bend around the corner. His strength is below average to in my opinion as his bull rush is usually ineffective, I agree he has issues getting off blocks. Once in a while he turns his head once in engaged away from the ball as well.....Day 3 pick in my opinion

Yannick Ngakoue (In my opinion)

Postives

• Motor
  • Production
  • Athleticism

Negatives

• Tackling
  • Lower body strength
  • Play recognition
  • Lack of pass rush rep
  • Lack of snaps dropping back into coverage

I figured I would make my opinion more as I can rush them at times instead of taking the time to organize my thoughts into easy to read points

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Yannick Ngakoue (In my opinion)

Postives

• Motor
  • Production
  • Athleticism

Negatives

• Tackling
  • Lower body strength
  • Play recognition
  • Lack of pass rush rep
  • Lack of snaps dropping back into coverage

I figured I would make my opinion more as I can rush them at times instead of taking the time to organize my thoughts into easy to read points

I would say upper body strength is a negative as well. He shows some power when he bull rushes but he can't get off a block to save his life. 

40 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I would say upper body strength is a negative as well. He shows some power when he bull rushes but he can't get off a block to save his life. 

He could if he had more of a pass rush repertoire but the majority of college players coming into the NFL don't have NFL strength yet

11 hours ago, Gavin said:

He could if he had more of a pass rush repertoire but the majority of college players coming into the NFL don't have NFL strength yet

Andrew Billings seems to have NFL strength now. From what I've seen he can stop the run and get into the backfield. I've got to wonder if it's worth taking him in the 1st Rd. ??

12 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

Andrew Billings seems to have NFL strength now. From what I've seen he can stop the run and get into the backfield. I've got to wonder if it's worth taking him in the 1st Rd. ??

I'm not convinced he will offer the enough pass rush production from the interior in the NFL to warrant a 1st round pick. I tend to think he will be primarily a run stopper

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

I'm not convinced he will offer the enough pass rush production from the interior in the NFL to warrant a 1st round pick. I tend to think he will be primarily a run stopper

He had 5.5 sacks and 14 tackles for a loss last season. Plus he's only 20 so he could become more polished with reps in the NFL. Imo he's definitely worth a 1st

27 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

He had 5.5 sacks and 14 tackles for a loss last season. Plus he's only 20 so he could become more polished with reps in the NFL. Imo he's definitely worth a 1st

I'd like the pick but I'd probably take him in the 2nd and grab a pass rusher in the 1st who I have my eyes on

37 minutes ago, Gavin said:

I'd like the pick but I'd probably take him in the 2nd and grab a pass rusher in the 1st who I have my eyes on

Asking for a pass rush from a NT is asking a lot IMO since they aren't built for it physically. At the most, you want a guy that can push the pocket back.

But I also think a pass rusher early is the way to go. Lawson or Floyd. I'm against Spence in the first but I suppose he's an option as well.

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Asking for a pass rush from a NT is asking a lot IMO since they aren't built for it physically. At the most, you want a guy that can push the pocket back.

But I also think a pass rusher early is the way to go. Lawson or Floyd. I'm against Spence in the first but I suppose he's an option as well.

Unless that NT can pass rush(Think Dontari Poe, Ngata...Zach Kerr can provide pass rush but obviously was not a 1st round pick...Does't haven't stamina to be an every down player but the skillset is there at NT) I don't think he is a 1st round pick period, You can find multiple NT's off the FA wire or a few at least almost every year that can just push the pocket from time to time or at least hold it, We have had them.Those are almost a dime a dozen. Just find a big fatty who can give you 20-30 snaps a game and be a 2 down player

There are only so many that have the endurance, agility and technique to actually get after the QB. Those are the 1st round picks

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Unless that NT can pass rush(Think Dontari Poe, Ngata...Zach Kerr can provide pass rush but obviously was not a 1st round pick...Does't haven't stamina to be an every down player but the skillset is there at NT) I don't think he is a 1st round pick period, You can find multiple NT's off the FA wire or a few at least almost every year that can just push the pocket from time to time or at least hold it, We have had them.Those are almost a dime a dozen. Just find a big fatty who can give you 20-30 snaps a game and be a 2 down player

There are only so many that have the endurance, agility and technique to actually get after the QB. Those are the 1st round picks

I watched several games of Baylor and Billings really reminds me of Wilfork. There were times that he collapsed the pocket so quickly that he actually missed the RB going by him, so he needs to work on his awareness.

7 hours ago, Gavin said:

He'd be a nice pick in the 2nd if he falls outta the 1st though.

16 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

He'd be a nice pick in the 2nd if he falls outta the 1st though.

For me its pretty simple.

Would I dislike the pick if his name was called at 18? No.

Do I like Billings? Absolutely.

Is he my first choice at 18? No. Several other guys I would pick before him (That list will shrink however inevitably as names come off the board because most of those names will go well before him...but again keep in mind we are picking at 18 and not somewhere late in the mid to late 20's like we usually do)

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

IDK if Billings is that type of guy. He can collapse the pocket like a pro though which is valuable nonetheless. I have guys I would take before him but he's still a 1st rounder IMO. He's disruptive and destructive.

He may not be a pass rusher but if he can blow up 90% of the opposing teams running play, I'll take it. Anderson+Billings is a dangerous duo.