Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Forte Not Returning to the Bears.

BullsColtsFan1

I'm kind of mixed on this one.  I don't exactly like the idea of paying Forte and Gore. . . Besides it's not likely that Forte would want to go to someplace where he might play second fiddle.

On the other hand I strongly believe that Forte would fit our offense better then Gore does.  I love how Gore runs but he's just not much of a pass catching back.  Forte can run well but is also a pretty good pass catching back and that's something we really need in this offense.

He's older and got injured last year. He's THE pass catching RB we'd want but like Gore he would struggle rushing unless we upgrade our line. His statistics on the goal line are severely below the NFL average which you would not know about him knowing what you do about Matt Forte. Would have to be an insane friendly deal for me personally to want him. Would rather take Miller but would consider him over Ivory and a third chance with Bradshaw if we went FA route to get a second RB.

23 minutes ago, ProblChld32 said:

there is a reason he isn't returning, He's washed. not the RB he used to be. Langford broke out in his absence. i wouldn't take a fly on him we already have Gore. the objective should be to get YOUNGER as a team not Older.

I agree about getting younger and not going after him but I don't think he's washed.  He had 900 rushing yards  and 400 receiving yards last year.  I think he still has something left in the tank.  I think he'll go to a contender and help them immediately.  Just my opinion!

Great running back...probably got a little left in the tank...but to me he would be a good fit on a team like NE...that likes to throw a lot to their running backs and could use a compliment to Lewis next year. I could see a team like them or SD or Pittsburgh giving him some run if he is willing to split time. He will have plenty of suiters if his price is right.

19 hours ago, dgambill said:

Great running back...probably got a little left in the tank...but to me he would be a good fit on a team like NE...that likes to throw a lot to their running backs and could use a compliment to Lewis next year. I could see a team like them or SD or Pittsburgh giving him some run if he is willing to split time. He will have plenty of suiters if his price is right.

I think Seattle is a very good bet.....Lynch retired and Rawls is coming off injury.

Green Bay has 2 power backs...they might drop one and go with a pass catcher....

They aren't letting his go because he's fading...He made $7 mil....and they need some new defensive players badly before they can even hope to contend for the playoffs against the Vikings and Packers..

Forte at even $4 mil would be a luxury....for the Bears

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

I think Seattle is a very good bet.....Lynch retired and Rawls is coming off injury.

Green Bay has 2 power backs...they might drop one and go with a pass catcher....

They aren't letting his go because he's fading...He made $7 mil....and they need some new defensive players badly before they can even hope to contend for the playoffs against the Vikings and Packers..

Forte at even $4 mil would be a luxury....for the Bears

I think it will come down to teams that can afford him. He definitely is slowing down a bit...but he is still very much a capable back. He does a lot of things well and he plays very hard. He isn't going to play for a vet minimum deal and I'm not sure Seattle has the funds to sign a guy like him. They got a lot of mouths to feed on that defense. I'd expect a team that isn't cap strapped with a need a versatile back to give him a shot. He has been a great back for a long time....hope he gets a shot at a championship.

..Good point about who can afford him..

...........that's why Miami is out...Miami has to have cap problems.....

I think Denver would drop Ronnie Hillman for Matt Forte in a second but they have a lot of guys to sign and I dont think they can afford a $4 mil RB......especially with that defense they need to keep intact

...you're right about Seattle..they have big bucks tied up....or soon to be tied up

.....what about Buffalo?  There might be an opening

On 2/13/2016 at 2:05 PM, dgambill said:

I think it will come down to teams that can afford him. He definitely is slowing down a bit...but he is still very much a capable back. He does a lot of things well and he plays very hard. He isn't going to play for a vet minimum deal and I'm not sure Seattle has the funds to sign a guy like him. They got a lot of mouths to feed on that defense. I'd expect a team that isn't cap strapped with a need a versatile back to give him a shot. He has been a great back for a long time....hope he gets a shot at a championship.

I have always liked Forte. Many disagree with me but I would take Forte over Peterson. AP is the one with the flashier numbers but I am not a fan of flashy players/numbers. Forte plays smarter than AP and he is less selfish, meaning he seems more willing to do what is best for his team. AP wants the offense to run through him and that has hurt the team.

Peterson is a future HoF player and can probably play more years than Forte, but I think Forte fits our offense better. He would cost less than AP.  Best of all he protects the ball much better than AP. We lost at least 2 games this year because of game-changing fumbles by AP. In his career Forte has about half the number of fumbles as Peterson in the same number of games played.  I would be ecstatic if we could replace AP with Forte. 

Quote:

Last year, Forte was the NFL’s 11th-leading rusher with almost 900 yards. He averaged 4.1 yards per carry out of the shotgun (on 94 attempts) and 4.1 yards per carry overall. (Peterson ran just 36 times from the shotgun and gained just 56 yards on those carries 1.6 yards per carry.)

In his career — different usage, but same number of games — Forte has 487 receptions and never fewer than 44 in a season. Peterson has less than half, 238, never more than 43 in a season.

Forte is not a great blocker, but he is arguably better at it than Peterson. He has 20 career fumbles on rushes or receptions. Peterson has 38.

http://m.startribune.com/would-matt-forte-fit-the-vikings-better-than-adrian-peterson/368648071/

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 6:44 AM, NFLfan said:

I have always liked Forte. Many disagree with me but I would take Forte over Peterson. AP is the one with the flashier numbers but I am not a fan of flashy players/numbers. Forte plays smarter than AP and he is less selfish, meaning he seems more willing to do what is best for his team. AP wants the offense to run through him and that has hurt the team.

Peterson is a future HoF player and can probably play more years than Forte, but I think Forte fits our offense better. He would cost less than AP.  Best of all he protects the ball much better than AP. We lost at least 2 games this year because of game-changing fumbles by AP. In his career Forte has about half the number of fumbles as Peterson in the same number of games played.  I would be ecstatic if we could replace AP with Forte. 

Quote:

Last year, Forte was the NFL’s 11th-leading rusher with almost 900 yards. He averaged 4.1 yards per carry out of the shotgun (on 94 attempts) and 4.1 yards per carry overall. (Peterson ran just 36 times from the shotgun and gained just 56 yards on those carries 1.6 yards per carry.)

In his career — different usage, but same number of games — Forte has 487 receptions and never fewer than 44 in a season. Peterson has less than half, 238, never more than 43 in a season.

Forte is not a great blocker, but he is arguably better at it than Peterson. He has 20 career fumbles on rushes or receptions. Peterson has 38.

http://m.startribune.com/would-matt-forte-fit-the-vikings-better-than-adrian-peterson/368648071/

AP is a volume guy in my opinion...gets better late in games or is a guy that will break those big ones. He has always had a lot of 1 and 2 yd runs but then offset with the big runs. The issue with Minnesota and AP is that when he is playing what type of box does he face. I'd reckon to say he is likely facing an 7/8 man box a MAJORITY of the time. Teams are going to dare Teddy to throw the ball but that also means Teddy's throws should be easier to read as well with more simple man coverage or zone on the outside with typically maybe 1 high safety. Forte I agree catches the ball very very well and runs better out of shotgun...but I think he doesn't face the same defensive fronts....Chicago has typically been more a threat to throw in their offenses. If you had Matt in Minnesota I agree he could do some things better but I'm not sure Teddy is ready to bear that much of the offensive yet. For what Teddy is capable of at this point I think AP is still a better fit. He can shoulder a much bigger work load than Matt and he draws more attention making things a little easier for Teddy.....now your NY Giants.....that might be a very very nice fit for Matt if the numbers worked out for both sides. That's an offense I think he is perfectly suited for.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

AP is a volume guy in my opinion...gets better late in games or is a guy that will break those big ones. He has always had a lot of 1 and 2 yd runs but then offset with the big runs. The issue with Minnesota and AP is that when he is playing what type of box does he face. I'd reckon to say he is likely facing an 7/8 man box a MAJORITY of the time. Teams are going to dare Teddy to throw the ball but that also means Teddy's throws should be easier to read as well with more simple man coverage or zone on the outside with typically maybe 1 high safety. Forte I agree catches the ball very very well and runs better out of shotgun...but I think he doesn't face the same defensive fronts....Chicago has typically been more a threat to throw in their offenses. If you had Matt in Minnesota I agree he could do some things better but I'm not sure Teddy is ready to bear that much of the offensive yet. For what Teddy is capable of at this point I think AP is still a better fit. He can shoulder a much bigger work load than Matt and he draws more attention making things a little easier for Teddy.....now your NY Giants.....that might be a very very nice fit for Matt if the numbers worked out for both sides. That's an offense I think he is perfectly suited for.

I hear you, but Teddy played better as a rookie without Peterson. Teddy plays better in the shotgun but that does not suit Peterson.  Many of us Vikings fans agree that it is in the team's best interest to part with Peterson.  

When you get a chance, read the following. This guy does a great job of articulating exactly how I see it.

http://www.dailynorseman.com/2015/12/7/9864000/the-elephant-in-the-room

I respect that. The only thing is we have seen a dominant defense can win a championship if you can run the ball...control clock..and limit turnovers....all things Minnesota could achieve going into next year....they are on the cusp of it. Is it really time to turn it over to Teddy....running an offense more reliant on the qb will undoubtedly cause some growing pains for the young qb. That said eventually he does have to take the primary role. Personally I'd stick AP one more season. Certainly you can continue to build on Teddy but I would not be in a hurry. This kid if who you think he is will be here for another 10 years likely. It's hard to say he is ready to take off and run right now. I'm a little more cautious in my Teddy approach. I do think he is a strong leader...has a lot of nice attributes...but I'm not sure he can carry the load people are asking for. More throwing means more hits...no AP means more pre-snap work for the qb and recognition...progressions. Passing is generally easier from shotgun...more time to read the defense, your in a throwing position quicker, and you don't take your eyes off a defense when dropping back. I agree with the writer that Minnesota will need to move towards an offense centered around Teddy but I'm just not sure he has had enough experience yet. Basically one full year and a partial season last year. I wouldn't rush him along if I didn't have too. Granted if APs cap numbers keep the team from building the kind of team they want I understand...but right now I ride the AP train another year...let Teddy have that one more year to grow. I just think its a little soon. Personally I like to protect my qb investment...bring them along slower...and ride that running game and defense as far as I can.

Watch all Bears games Im a fan Second only to the Colts . I do not want Forte in Indy that's my opinion and glad hes leaving Chicago. He does somethings well others he doesnt , very good if he gets in open field , however not a strong back. We need a good all purpose back in Indy he doesn't fit the bill here IMO.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

I respect that. The only thing is we have seen a dominant defense can win a championship if you can run the ball...control clock..and limit turnovers....all things Minnesota could achieve going into next year....they are on the cusp of it. Is it really time to turn it over to Teddy....running an offense more reliant on the qb will undoubtedly cause some growing pains for the young qb. That said eventually he does have to take the primary role. Personally I'd stick AP one more season. Certainly you can continue to build on Teddy but I would not be in a hurry. This kid if who you think he is will be here for another 10 years likely. It's hard to say he is ready to take off and run right now. I'm a little more cautious in my Teddy approach. I do think he is a strong leader...has a lot of nice attributes...but I'm not sure he can carry the load people are asking for. More throwing means more hits...no AP means more pre-snap work for the qb and recognition...progressions. Passing is generally easier from shotgun...more time to read the defense, your in a throwing position quicker, and you don't take your eyes off a defense when dropping back. I agree with the writer that Minnesota will need to move towards an offense centered around Teddy but I'm just not sure he has had enough experience yet. Basically one full year and a partial season last year. I wouldn't rush him along if I didn't have too. Granted if APs cap numbers keep the team from building the kind of team they want I understand...but right now I ride the AP train another year...let Teddy have that one more year to grow. I just think its a little soon. Personally I like to protect my qb investment...bring them along slower...and ride that running game and defense as far as I can.

Thank you for reading the article and sharing your opinion.

I have not changed my opinion too much, but I can appreciate you are saying. I am hearing that you don't think Teddy is far along enough to allow the offense to run through him. I see Carr, Bortles, and even Winston being let loose and throwing the ball at will, but Teddy is being stifled. Yes, the first two don't have RBs like AP; so, their offense depends more on the QB. But I am frustrated that they won't let Teddy do more. It is run, run, pass; run, run, pass. On game threads, we all joke that we can predict what plays will be called based on what down it is. 

Hopefully Pat Shurmur will bring some creativity to the offense. We also brought in Tony Sparano to work with the offensive linemen. Let's see if they both bring positive change. :) 

3 hours ago, NFLfan said:

Thank you for reading the article and sharing your opinion.

I have not changed my opinion too much, but I can appreciate you are saying. I am hearing that you don't think Teddy is far along enough to allow the offense to run through him. I see Carr, Bortles, and even Winston being let loose and throwing the ball at will, but Teddy is being stifled. Yes, the first two don't have RBs like AP; so, their offense depends more on the QB. But I am frustrated that they won't let Teddy do more. It is run, run, pass; run, run, pass. On game threads, we all joke that we can predict what plays will be called based on what down it is. 

Hopefully Pat Shurmur will bring some creativity to the offense. We also brought in Tony Sparano to work with the offensive linemen. Let's see if they both bring positive change. :) 

Who was the OC before Shurmur was brought in? I wonder if Teddy has been allowed to audible at the LOS whenever a run play is called and he sees an opportunity in the passing game. It's a shame if he hasn't. The guy is clearly a superb passer already and it would only help his development more if he was allowed to do such seemingly elementary things. But I do see why the Vikes like to pound the ball. With a guy like Peterson in the line-up, it'd be hard to justify not doing so. But that doesn't mean he has to have the offense run completely through him. Teddy is ready to be let off the leash this year. 

We have the same OC, Norv Turner. Pat Shurmur was added to the staff. I cannot recall exactly what his title is but speculation is that he may replace Norv in the future. 

I don't think Teddy was allowed to change run plays at the line of scrimmage. I wish he had been... I read somewhere that we ran the ball on 65% of first downs. So the opposing defenses always seemed to know what was coming. 

19 hours ago, Jay Kirk said:

Watch all Bears games Im a fan Second only to the Colts . I do not want Forte in Indy that's my opinion and glad hes leaving Chicago. He does somethings well others he doesnt , very good if he gets in open field , however not a strong back. We need a good all purpose back in Indy he doesn't fit the bill here IMO.

How does a guy who catches the ball as much as he does not fit the bill as an all purpose back?   I would rather have him than gore,    but that isn't gonna happen

Just now, jvan1973 said:

How does a guy who catches the ball as much as he does not fit the bill as an all purpose back?   I would rather have him than gore,    but that isn't gonna happen

Hes very weak between the tackles very easy to bring down , his pass protection is non existent. Hes a great open field runner and good receiver out of backfield , but we don't need another aging RB and as I said we are glad hes not with the Bears any longer , now if we could just loose Mr overated Cutler we can move on.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm, alot of folks really misjude Forte's power.  He was injured a few games and still posted 900 yards and 400 receiving yards.  Had he not missed those games he'd have posted 1000 yards this season.  Thats not Washed.  And he'll continue to do these things for at least 3 years.  Lets see everything that Forte can do very well.

Forte is good at slowing rushers down.  He can set a quick block and he's very good at doing it.

Forte is an Excellent reciever not just average or above average, he is Exceptional.

He can make hard yards and make it look easy, if he breaks free he can make you regret it.

Forte Continues to post 900+ yards with insane receiving yards.  

Works hard to stay in shape and hardly ever gets injured.  Got injured last year but came back.

Almost never puts the ball on the ground.  Look at his fumble stats.

You folks underestimate this guy.  If you think he's going to just suddenly drop off with his stats in just one year your insane.  They may go down gradually but they'll still be Pro levels.