Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zak Keefer expects the Colts to release Andre Johnson and Trent Cole

NBColtsFanatic

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

And we only have about 30 million to spend and we have our own FA's to try and sign.

Signing a 30 yr old center is as stupid as anything I have read on here, when we could get a very good OC in the draft with our second pick and spend about 1 million on. 

That's why there's a thing called.....  Salary Cap 

What do you think Mack could be signed for? 

These two would be immediate starters and upgrade the OL without breaking the bank

Ryan Kelley, OC, Alabama
Nick Martin, OC, Notre Dame

Well....   you assume that the guys you want will be there when we pick.

Maybe yes,  maybe no.

Plus, I'm not sure you want a rookie at center.....       and I'm not sure I want to use a 2nd round pick on a center....

Still,  the point remains,  we don't have enough picks to fill every pressing need.    Some will have to be filled by Free Agents.     And if you think signing a 30-year center "is as stupid as anything I have read on here"   then you don't read much of what is posted.

The idea of signing Mack wouldn't even rank in the worst 1,000 ideas ever floated here.....    not sure it would make the worst 10,000 ideas posted here.

But a good healthy difference of opinion is what makes the world go around.....

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe yes,  maybe no.

Plus, I'm not sure you want a rookie at center.....       and I'm not sure I want to use a 2nd round pick on a center....

Still,  the point remains,  we don't have enough picks to fill every pressing need.    Some will have to be filled by Free Agents.     And if you think signing a 30-year center "is as stupid as anything I have read on here"   then you don't read much of what is posted.

The idea of signing Mack wouldn't even rank in the worst 1,000 ideas ever floated here.....    not sure it would make the worst 10,000 ideas posted here.

Trade Johnson & Gore if we're seriously going to break up the "U" reunion. And try to get a 1st round pick from like a Seattle or a team that we won't play against regularly 

5 hours ago, theanarchist said:

I'm gonna say stop signing guys who are 1) too old to be effective 2) guys with histories of having drop issues. Those have been the main factors in the past with Grigson's WR signings.

I get what your saying AC, but to me AJ was signed partially as a veteran offensive presence to offset the loss of WR Reggie Wayne. Leadership pedigree more than anything else. 

1 hour ago, Gavin said:

Its a given it was going to happen

Ah huh. We all this was coming sooner rather than later. That's true Gavin. 

Okay, I know I'm tough on Grigson & I'm not fond of the guy as a GM...Maybe as a scout, but nothing else. He tries. Am I a GM wizard myself? Oh hades no not by a longshot...I would have fired him, but INDY is stuck with him now much to my chagrin & frustration. 

The Colts will have to win in spite of him not because of him. JMO. 

I will give Grigs credit for 1 thing: Clearing up our dead money on the books problem in 2012 & that's about it. It's how I truly feel. Just being honest. 

Alright, alright, since I feeling generous today, I will throw Ryan 1 other bone of praise: Keeping Matthew Hasselbeck for as long as he did. Could you imagine our less than stellar 2015 season without him? Oh Jesus...Talk about brutal. Hide the women & children folks...

But then again, with better protection up front Luck doesn't sustain a lacerated kidney & Matthew is not called upon to step in & take over is he...That's on Grigs...

4 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Give the Alex Mack signing a rest.   He will cost WAY too much and we can easily upgrade that position in the draft 

Alex Mack is not going to leave the Browns at a discount He is 30 year old and wants a payday along side of a winning team.

We have more needs than just center and to tie up that much at center would be stupid 

Let it go!

Alex Mack signed a 5 year, $42,000,000 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including $26,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,400,000. In 2016, Mack will earn a base salary of $8,000,000. Mack has a cap hit of $8,000,000.

Contract: 5 yr(s) / $42,000,000
Signing Bonus -
Average Salary $8,400,000
Guaranteed $26,000,000
Free Agent: 2019 / UFA

Dude. We'll have close to 50 millions after cuts. We'll have plenty of money to give Mack 4years, 36 million if that's what it takes. I do think we could get him for 4/32 though, but for arguments sake we'll say 36. I suppose we could take Ryan Kelly in the 2nd, but I'd much rather sign a C and G in free agency to allow us to draft all D in the early rounds. But there's no reason we cant give Alex Mack 4/36, Jeff Allen 4/28, and Sean Smith 4/32. That's 3 sort of big contracts, but we have the cap space to do it, and we definitely have the need at those positions. If/when Alex Mack opts out I'd bet good money we pursue him and probably land him.

47 minutes ago, COLTBLUE42 said:

Trade Johnson & Gore if we're seriously going to break up the "U" reunion. And try to get a 1st round pick from like a Seattle or a team that we won't play against regularly 

This is real life. Nobody is giving us a 1st for Dre and Gore. You're acting like we're talking about Antonio Brown and Le'veon Bell bro.

I don't know what their waiting for.  They just finished completing the coaching staff today.  Hopefully they can get started on their off season moves.  These two are the obvious ones. Going to be very interesting on our other players.  Maybe restructuring  or cutting and resigning DQ and AJ. I don't know all the numbers but it's probably being looked at if nothing else.  By the way Martin and Kelly are projected to start right away at center. I would be happy with either one.  Again it all comes down to FA. 

4 hours ago, bababooey said:

Marshall and Sanders were FA steals last year and of course we pay the price for AJ.

Totally agree on Marshall. I have no idea why we didn't trade for him instead of signing AJ. As for Sanders. He signed with Denver 2 offseasons ago.

4 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Totally agree on Marshall. I have no idea why we didn't trade for him instead of signing AJ. As for Sanders. He signed with Denver 2 offseasons ago.

My bad forgot he was there last year, either way another example of an awesome WR pickup I wish we made

3 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

And we only have about 30 million to spend and we have our own FA's to try and sign.

Signing a 30 yr old center is as stupid as anything I have read on here, when we could get a very good OC in the draft with our second pick and spend about 1 million on. 

That's why there's a thing called.....  Salary Cap 

What do you think Mack could be signed for? 

These two would be immediate starters and upgrade the OL without breaking the bank

Ryan Kelley, OC, Alabama
Nick Martin, OC, Notre Dame

Again bro. After the sap goes up another 10 million. And after we cut AJ, Cole, DQ, and most likely Jones. With a decent possibility of Werner and Irving being cut too. Well anyways after that we'll have CLOSE to 50 million in cap room. That's plenty enough for 3 impact players plus Luck's extension, and re-signing Fleener, Freeman, Vinny, and whoever else we decide to bring back. But yeah we could draft one of those guys in the 2nd. But with what we've went through the last few seasons with our line. I had much rather take to safer route and sign Mack and Jeff Allen. Then we know our line is fixed. And then we can use our early picks on D. Getting a good young pass rusher or 2, maybe a Safety, and a DT. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Maybe yes,  maybe no.

ok bro, first off if Pittsburg traded brown & bell, you wouldn't get just one first round pick, so your comparison was terrible. I mentioned a team like Seattle cause they have a high first round pick plus they gave one up last year for jimmy graham. Realistically yeah it would be hard to get a first round for them 2. But maybe a second round pick is more realistic. There you go

4 hours ago, Flash said:

At this point, if Grigson adds a FA receiver, he should be looking for depth behind T.Y., Moncrief, and Dorsett. His signing of guys like DHB, (who took away playing time from T.Y.) and Nicks (who took away playing time from Moncrief), not only didn't work out but actually hurt the team.

4 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Still would have to sign another WR. No depth after Dorsett. 

4 hours ago, krunk said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he drafted another WR late. Or found one in FA or UDFA.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

No they don't. I'm fine with Whalen  and Bray unless there's a good WR available late in the draft. WR should be the last thing Indy is shopping for or drafting early. 

We all know Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett are the main 3. Or the starters or whatever you want to refer to them as. But you're all right. We'll definitely have to bring in a 4th receiver. I had rather sign a vet in free agency personally. There's several guys on the market who could be signed pretty cheap. I'm hoping for one of  Rod Streeter, Andre Holmes, Jordan Norwood, Bryan Walters, Brandon Gibson, or an interesting one would be Brian Quick. He looked to be on the verge of breaking out in 14, but then got injured. He barley played this season. I would prefer either Rod Streeter or Brandon Gibson. Either one could be signed on a  cheap 1 year deal and would give us a solid, reliable 4th receiver. Streeter hasn't played much the last 2 seasons, but he was playing really well his first 2 seasons. Considering he hasn't played bit 4 games in 2 seasons we could probably get him for slightly more than the vet minimum.

21 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

We all know Hilton, Moncrief, and Dorsett are the main 3. Or the starters or whatever you want to refer to them as. But you're all right. We'll definitely have to bring in a 4th receiver. I had rather sign a vet in free agency personally. There's several guys on the market who could be signed pretty cheap. I'm hoping for one of  Rod Streeter, Andre Holmes, Jordan Norwood, Bryan Walters, Brandon Gibson, or an interesting one would be Brian Quick. He looked to be on the verge of breaking out in 14, but then got injured. He barley played this season. I would prefer either Rod Streeter or Brandon Gibson. Either one could be signed on a  cheap 1 year deal and would give us a solid, reliable 4th receiver. Streeter hasn't played much the last 2 seasons, but he was playing really well his first 2 seasons. Considering he hasn't played bit 4 games in 2 seasons we could probably get him for slightly more than the vet minimum.

You know good and well Grigs is going to find another Duron Carter type of guy out the CFL and bring him in as the 4th receiver. LOL. And then bring in Roddy White for 11 million per season as the fifth receiver! I love Grigs, but I had to poke fun at his receiver selecting skills in free agency. He's actually pretty good at drafting the young guys though.

1 hour ago, COLTBLUE42 said:

Johnson has no trade value.    Zero.     He's about to be cut.

Gore has very small trade value.      Maybe a 5th round pick.

And the only players we have worth a 1st round pick are guys like Luck,  Hilton,  Castanzo and Davis.    That's it.

We don't want to trade any of them for a 1st round pick.

43 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

I would have preferred to sign Jabaal Sheard instead of Trent Cole last offseason...but then again, the former hasn't really set the world on fire either.

Last 5 seasons, the most number of sacks is 8.

Most free agents don't set the world on fire, unless you're willing to commit a bunch of guaranteed money and potentially take a horrible dead cap hit if they are released.

48 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

The fourth WR should be a big body, IMO, either a Vet or a later draft pick.  Especially if DA walks, having some physicality in the receiving corps would have some value.

3 hours ago, COLTBLUE42 said:

Just out of curiosity why do you think any team would give up a #1 pick for Gore and or Johnson? Johnson has show he has lost a lot of luster with his age. Gore will draw a veteran contract. Any team that would need a RB would much rather pick a rookie who is young and comes with a rookie contract. I really don't think you put much thought into this idea.

Yes. let's cut AJ because he didn't produce.  He wasn't thrown to much either.  That was his fault.

Yes, we have young, speedsters at WRs, who can't get open in the short/ intermediate routes.  Yes speed kills and is going to kill our Offense.

I am willing to let AJ play out his contract and remind our QB that you don't have to throw 30 yards down field on a 2nd or 3rd and short.

9 hours ago, Coltfreak said:

Give the Alex Mack signing a rest.   He will cost WAY too much and we can easily upgrade that position in the draft 

Alex Mack is not going to leave the Browns at a discount He is 30 year old and wants a payday along side of a winning team.

We have more needs than just center and to tie up that much at center would be stupid 

Let it go!

Alex Mack signed a 5 year, $42,000,000 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including $26,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,400,000. In 2016, Mack will earn a base salary of $8,000,000. Mack has a cap hit of $8,000,000.

Contract: 5 yr(s) / $42,000,000
Signing Bonus -
Average Salary $8,400,000
Guaranteed $26,000,000
Free Agent: 2019 / UFA

Not to disagree, but Mack got that huge payday because Jacksonville had so much cap space, they put an outrageous offer sheet out for him. Cleveland did not want to lose one of their few good players, and also had huge cap space, so they matched the offer. Mack was smart in making sure he got guaranteed money in the first two years, and he could not be franchised after his 2nd year if he wanted to opt out of his contract. After so many years with a loser, I think winning will be his main interest. I don't think he takes a low contract, but he will not look to max out. 30 is not old, plus center is a position of such importance I would love to have him for 2-3 years and find someone younger to mentor. Hopefully Chud. can help play a role there. I would be happy to pay 7-9M/yr. for someone who has been a quality center, and will be excited to be on a winning team! Of course, this is jmo!

5 hours ago, COLTBLUE42 said:

Any GM that would take Gore and/or Johnson for a 1st round pick should be fired immediately.

Other words, that's not happening

6 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

This is real life. Nobody is giving us a 1st for Dre and Gore. You're acting like we're talking about Antonio Brown and Le'veon Bell bro.

Good point C449. Even if Gore did demand high trade value from other teams, there's no way we could gain premium talent like the WR & RB you mentioned. Besides, Frank has still got fuel in the tank for INDY if we can just give him an opening to keep drives alive & not make the Colts 1 dimensional. 

2 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Any GM that would take Gore and/or Johnson for a 1st round pick should be fired immediately.

Other words, that's not happening

The Cleveland Browns maybe would do something that foolish but nobody else. 

So yes, no stable NFL franchise ever would pull the trigger on that outlandish deal. I agree 100%

9 hours ago, grmasterb said:

I still have a hard time viewing Hilton as a No. 1 receiver.  I think Moncrief could supplant Hilton as the No. 1 option.  So, I'm not sure the Colts are set at WR for the future.

???? lets say even if Moncrief becomes a more frequent target than TY, why would you think that the team isn't set at WR? Both players are young, entering their prime, talented guys. Doesn't matter who #1 or #2 is. I hate doing this but they could compare to Marvin/Reggie someday as a great 1/2 combo. They have similar potential.