Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Zak Keefer expects the Colts to release Andre Johnson and Trent Cole

NBColtsFanatic

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, NBColtsFanatic said:

well, keep in mind that in the past, the FA WR experiments were mostly necessary.  Now that both Hilton and Moncrief have proven themselves as effective WRs, with Dorsett waiting in the wings, we shouldn't need a veteran WR presence like we have in the past.

2 minutes ago, NBColtsFanatic said:

I'm gonna say stop signing guys who are 1) too old to be effective 2) guys with histories of having drop issues. Those have been the main factors in the past with Grigson's WR signings.

As others have said, we have two WR's on the roster already who have proven they can play at a high level and now have a few years of experience, and one who's hopefully poised to have a breakout second season.  Lets roll with the young guys for a while and see where they can take us before going out and getting any other older WR's. 

6 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

Sucks for AJ because I was so excited, but his production was just too bad, even with Luck. I appreciate his contributions last season, but it's obvious he isn't what he was. Best of luck to him wherever he goes. 

He was supposed to teach Luck how to throw his bread & butter, quick slants.
 Quick, accurate passes just ain`t in Luck`s bag. Maybe in a couple MORE years!!   :-(

40 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

Not surprising. Lets cut those 2 along with DQ, and Werner to make room to sign Alex Mack, Jeff Allen, and Sean Smith.

Give the Alex Mack signing a rest.   He will cost WAY too much and we can easily upgrade that position in the draft 

Alex Mack is not going to leave the Browns at a discount He is 30 year old and wants a payday along side of a winning team.

We have more needs than just center and to tie up that much at center would be stupid 

Let it go!

Alex Mack signed a 5 year, $42,000,000 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including $26,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,400,000. In 2016, Mack will earn a base salary of $8,000,000. Mack has a cap hit of $8,000,000.

Contract: 5 yr(s) / $42,000,000
Signing Bonus -
Average Salary $8,400,000
Guaranteed $26,000,000
Free Agent: 2019 / UFA

7 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Called it when all his gear was 50% off with code Johnson last month lol

edit: damn I didn't see it was just a Keefer article. considering everyone thought Chuck was gone I need to see the ink dry on stories with the Colts to believe them.

Ain't that the truth. I really don't get too sure about anything till I read it either on the Colts news and then another source. There have been so many rumors so I just wait till sure.

39 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

Give the Alex Mack signing a rest.   He will cost WAY too much and we can easily upgrade that position in the draft 

Alex Mack is not going to leave the Browns at a discount He is 30 year old and wants a payday along side of a winning team.

We have more needs than just center and to tie up that much at center would be stupid 

Let it go!

Alex Mack signed a 5 year, $42,000,000 contract with the Cleveland Browns, including $26,000,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $8,400,000. In 2016, Mack will earn a base salary of $8,000,000. Mack has a cap hit of $8,000,000.

Contract: 5 yr(s) / $42,000,000
Signing Bonus -
Average Salary $8,400,000
Guaranteed $26,000,000
Free Agent: 2019 / UFA

I'm sorry,  but we can't upgrade every position that needs upgrading in the draft.

That's why there's this thing called.....  Free Agency.

1 hour ago, theanarchist said:

I'm gonna say stop signing guys who are 1) too old to be effective 2) guys with histories of having drop issues. Those have been the main factors in the past with Grigson's WR signings.

1) Young enough to be effective 2) No history of drop issues.  Those equal lots of guaranteed money.  I prefer to take a chance with a vet.

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

1) Young enough to be effective 2) No history of drop issues.  Those equal lots of guaranteed money.  I prefer to take a chance with a vet.

Ya, the chances that Grigson has taken so far on Vet Wr's hasnt worked out tho. DHB, Nicks, Johnson all were disappointments.

At this point, if Grigson adds a FA receiver, he should be looking for depth behind T.Y., Moncrief, and Dorsett. His signing of guys like DHB, (who took away playing time from T.Y.) and Nicks (who took away playing time from Moncrief), not only didn't work out but actually hurt the team.

1 hour ago, bravo4460 said:

Hilton, Moncrief, And Dorsett. Nice and all but the Colts haven't been the healthiest team in the history of the NFL.

Maybe work with Bray? I think they will have to either draft or sigh another one.

A draft pick will definitely have to be spent on a WR, there's no way around it. We have 2 guys that are proven, a promising second-year prospect, and Quan Bray. Zero depth beyond that. This forum will be so epic if they use another 1st on a WR.

34 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Still would have to sign another WR. No depth after Dorsett. 

No they don't. I'm fine with Whalen  and Bray unless there's a good WR available late in the draft. WR should be the last thing Indy is shopping for or drafting early. 

49 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm sorry,  but we can't upgrade every position that needs upgrading in the draft.

And we only have about 30 million to spend and we have our own FA's to try and sign.

Signing a 30 yr old center is as stupid as anything I have read on here, when we could get a very good OC in the draft with our second pick and spend about 1 million on. 

That's why there's a thing called.....  Salary Cap 

What do you think Mack could be signed for? 

These two would be immediate starters and upgrade the OL without breaking the bank

Ryan Kelley, OC, Alabama
Nick Martin, OC, Notre Dame

8 minutes ago, Feardaneard said:

Ryan Kelly, OC Alabama

Nick Martin, OC Notre Dame 

these guys would be day one starters and an upgrade on our current o-line. I'm not saying pick them with the first but look what Dallas got with Tavis Frederick. A pro bowler for the next 10-15 years. 

I don't believe either Martin or Ryan Kelly are as good as Frederick was coming out

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Definitely cannot "easily" getting a starting C in the draft. The first two MAY be upgrades, but I'm not sure by how much.  I'm not concerned about Mack's contract, more about his age and health.  

IMHO, I'd rather address the C position with a solid FA and maybe a later round pick to grow into the position. 

2 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Ya, the chances that Grigson has taken so far on Vet Wr's hasnt worked out tho. DHB, Nicks, Johnson all were disappointments.

Agreed, those players are what they were, and I'm sure Grigson was not expecting them to be anything else than what they were...except maybe AJ, whom also at least 50% of the people on this board called a "beast" before he was signed......instead of the near washed-up player that the Texans thought he was.  And AJ was only signed for 2 years, with minimal cap hit if cut, so that gives us some basis for judging what Grigson expected from him.

I would expect that trend to stop now that the WR corps has been properly staffed with young draft choices playing in their cheap rookie contracts for 3 to 4 years.  The only way to get young good players through FA is to overpay and guarantee money.  Not sure who I would've wanted to sign over the last few years, considering that I don't even like TY's contract.  Sometimes, you need to choose the lesser of two evils and pick the choice that allows you to move on from a player with no financial cost, and hope to get the most out of that free agent as you can.  That's the smart way to do it, IMO.