Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Peyton Manning, GM, "Football Nerd"

SteelDragon

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think he will ever Coach but I can see him being a GM.

I also don't think he will ever coach, but I can definitely see him getting into a GM role...

Considering 18's sense of humor, I can even see him announcing Sunday or Monday night games, if maybe he decides to walk away from the competitive side of things...

He's definitely attracted to the cerebral aspects and nuances of the game. I wouldn't be so quick to rule out his being a coach or even a coach/gm.  He seems to relish the week-to-week grind of scouting/game-planning.  We all know he has legendary leadership skills.  I'm pretty sure the next generation of football players would run through a wall for him.  He's been practically an on the field Offensive Coordinator for the last 13 years(or more).  If anyone could be the next Bellichick, why not Peyton? 

1 hour ago, SteelDragon said:

He's definitely attracted to the cerebral aspects and nuances of the game. I wouldn't be so quick to rule out his being a coach or even a coach/gm.  He seems to relish the week-to-week grind of scouting/game-planning.  We all know he has legendary leadership skills.  I'm pretty sure the next generation of football players would run through a wall for him.  He's been practically an on the field Offensive Coordinator for the last 13 years(or more).  If anyone could be the next Bellichick, why not Peyton? 

Indeed he very well may go into coaching...

Ive just always envisioned 18 stepping away from the competitive aspect of the game when he retires...

In a, 'hes proven everything hes had to prove on the football field' sorta way...

But hes also a hyper competitie guy, so who knows...

On ‎2‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 4:43 PM, SteelDragon said:

Bill Polian gives Peyton a nice endorsement as a possible GM today in the Indy Star.  We all know whatever Peyton decides to do after his playing days are over, he's going to excel. 

http://www.indystar.

If he chooses to be a GM, it will be uncanny how much his career is paralleling John Elway's

True words...and I think that, eventually, will  happen..

///and if you hire Peyton,. you know that his 'advisers' include Polian and Elway.

he wouldn't be totally lost in the new job

I don't know why most seem to think Manning will coach in the NFL. IMO he wont even be a GM. He has stated more than a few times his family comes before football. I just don't see him taking a job that involves as much time as coaching or being a GM does. I think the closest thing coming to football Manning does would be in broadcasting.

45 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I don't know why most seem to think Manning will coach in the NFL. IMO he wont even be a GM. He has stated more than a few times his family comes before football. I just don't see him taking a job that involves as much time as coaching or being a GM does. I think the closest thing coming to football Manning does would be in broadcasting.

Broadcasting requires a lot of time and travel, doesn't it?...he wont be at home as a broadcaster...

He'd be gone every single week.

GM or assistant GM would mean having a lot more time at home

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Broadcasting requires a lot of time and travel, doesn't it?...he wont be at home as a broadcaster...

He'd be gone every single week.

GM or assistant GM would mean having a lot more time at home

I would think Manning would pretty much set his own hours as far as a commentary role. Kind of like the way Jimmy Johnson does. I think I read somewhere Johnson worked 2 days a week after spending 5 days a week fishing and being with his family. Heck, we could all be wrong? He may just kick back and do nothing for a while. He don't ever have to work like Archie had to do after football. It's crazy he is so popular that we are all in suspense on what he is going to do. Football is 4th on his list as to what's the most important to him so I guess we will all just have to wait and see.

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I would think Manning would pretty much set his own hours as far as a commentary role. Kind of like the way Jimmy Johnson does. I think I read somewhere Johnson worked 2 days a week after spending 5 days a week fishing and being with his family. Heck, we could all be wrong? He may just kick back and do nothing for a while. He don't ever have to work like Archie had to do after football. It's crazy he is so popular that we are all in suspense on what he is going to do. Football is 4th on his list as to what's the most important to him so I guess we will all just have to wait and see.

I agree too. I think he wouldn't be a in game announcer or anything. More than likely work with Tony on Sunday night football or something. Basically just work in the CBS office or something. Can't imagine him on the NFL Network...doesn't seem like Prime or Irving really like him too much. Maybe he could do something with Marshall. Peyton is very entertaining but it would also be a shame to not get his input on what he sees going on. He certainly could break down plays and defenses very well I'd imagine. Hopefully this won't be the last of Peyton we get to see each and every Sunday.