Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Should we trade for an edge rusher?

richard pallo

Since we are drafting at 18 and the odds of getting one in the draft are kind of small what do you think of trading for one?  Not a draft pick but a player.  Thinking out of the box what about TY for a edge rusher?  Dorsett could take his spot and we could use 18 on another need.  Just thinking about the possibilities.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Since we are drafting at 18 and the odds of getting one in the draft are kind of small what do you think of trading for one?  Not a draft pick but a player.  Thinking out of the box what about TY for a edge rusher?  Dorsett could take his spot and we could use 18 on another need.  Just thinking about the possibilities.  

I doubt trading TY for a proven and young pass rusher is possible. Teams that have young proven pass rushers rarely want to trade them. Getting help at LB via the draft is the best way to go. 

19 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If we were to Trade TY it would have better be for someone along the Lines of Von Miller if we dont get that type of player then, NO not worth it. We can settle for one via the draft im not worried. When Anderson returns to form next season with the addition of Jones (if Healthy) and a healthy Langford the pass rush will improve remember Mathis has also returned to form. 

Somebody already mentioned this, but we should just take Noah Spence at 18. He's a special talent, who should come in and contribute week 1. I also think signing a guy like Bruce Irvin or Tamba Hali would be alright to pair with Spence and Mathis. But I wouldn't trade TY unless it was for Khalil Mack or something lol.

Picks and only picks will get you a pass rusher, unless you are saying Andrew Luck is on the table. Castanzo is really our only other commodity that could help bring in a top tier pass rusher. So i put the question back to you...how much is too much? You aren't getting it for cheap, and what you think is fair, is probably lopsided in our favor given your TY suggestion. Not berating, just being real with you.

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

First off, as most have said, getting a proven edge rusher for TY won't happen.  Good edge rusher > TY - by a long shot.

But I also think why would we want to weaken what will be a strength of the team next year.  The Colts playmakers will be TY, Dorsett, & Moncrief.  You will see lots of 3-wide sets next year as base and I expect those 3 to be a really, really good group.

Plus I think you get your true impact players from the draft because you have to way overpay to get them in FA or through trades.

Hey you know what, we've got this quarterback who was injured all year last year why not trade him for an edge rusher? Seriously though why would you want to trade away a receiver that's easily a top 10 with a healthy qb and that has had 3 straight 1k yard seasons? But hey I guess people wanted Moncreif traded last year too. Smh....

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Yes. For Von Miller after he is signed and Denver has paid his Bonus.
 That way they take the instant Dead Money hit, a win win for us. Next.

We're not going to get an elite pass rusher for TY. I see no good coming of letting go of a potentially elite WR for an average pass rusher. Crazier things have happened, but I don't think it's likely that trading TY would benefit us. Unless John Elway suddenly develops dementia and trades Von Miller for TY, I say just improve through the draft. 

The draft. But if we were to make a trade for a pass rusher then I think it should be an unproven player with upside for unproven player with upside. I'd sure like to find a way to get Marcus Smith from the Eagles though or Jeremiah Attaochu (Chargers)or Kevin Pierre Louis (Seahawks) or Kyle Van Noy (Lions)....None of which is likely

I'll say it again. We can get an elite pass rusher by taking Noah Spence at 18. I like Gavin's idea though too. It'd be nice to trade for a guy like Marcus Smith and also draft Spence. What I think we should do though is sign a vet like Tamba Hali and draft Spence. Then we have 3 guys capable of double digit sacks and being game wreckers. Hali, Spence, Mathis, Walden, Werner and Newsome would be one heck of a group of OLB's. Then who knows. Maybe Werner pulls a Paul Kruger this year, and gets 5-6 sacks as a rotational guy, then gets a big contract to go start somewhere???

The OP posed a question and whether or not you agree with the premise, it is worth considering? I don't believe TY has the value to pull off a trade of that magnitude as he isn't a true number one....despite being Indy's number one for now? Moncrief will take that honor, imvho.......and I wouldn't trade him. So, no, despite TY being regarded as a top flight receiver....his value, despite his contract, isn't worthy of the return? Again, imvho.

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

No.  Guys like Von Miller are overrated too.  It helps to play with with Malik Jackson, Derek Wolfe, and Demarcus Ware.

A good WR wins his one on ones pretty much by himself....not that TY wins his battles as much as you would like.

Miller had 30 sacks before Ware was there and before Jackson ever got significant snaps.

Just now, Dustin said:

Miller had 30 sacks before Ware was there and before Jackson ever got significant snaps.

That's fine. I wouldn't think Denver would trade Miller for any WR in the NFL today.

As a general comment about edges being more valuable than WRs, I think it depends on the players.  Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson had some pretty dominating seasons in their careers.  A sack is still only about an eight yard loss, a dominating WR can score 6 points several times a game.

would you trade him for one of the chiefs pass rushers?  they might give up whoever they think is their second best for TY if we throw in a pick.

his contract is pretty big, and his skill set may not gel with their QB very well though.

cant think of any other teams that need a WR, and have a rusher to spare

dont think we can give up AC for defense

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

No.  Guys like Von Miller are overrated too.  It helps to play with with Malik Jackson, Derek Wolfe, and Demarcus Ware.

A good WR wins his one on ones pretty much by himself....not that TY wins his battles as much as you would like.

Von Miller has been a monster since stepping foot in the league. You're definitely in the minority if you think he's overrated. 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

That's fine. I wouldn't think Denver would trade Miller for any WR in the NFL today.

As a general comment about edges being more valuable than WRs, I think it depends on the players.  Larry Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson had some pretty dominating seasons in their careers.  A sack is still only about an eight yard loss, a dominating WR can score 6 points several times a game.

Sacks aren't just an eight yard loss.

Pressure on the QB is probably the single most important factor in the new NFL. We just saw the MVP of the league look very average because of it. 

I feel like that attitude is exactly what Irsay is trying to get away from.