Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I am thinking the Colts will open at Broncos next year

chad72

Broncos have 3 marquee match ups at home next year - Patriots, Panthers and Colts

Broncos' home game choices are:  KC, SD, Oakland, New England, Houston, Indy, Carolina, Atlanta

It is pretty rare that they do the re-match of a SB on opening night. I can see a re-match of an AFCCG but I doubt they want the Patriots that early in the year. I am going with it most likely being the Colts.

Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Broncos have 3 marquee match ups at home next year - Patriots, Panthers and Colts

Broncos' home game choices are:  KC, SD, Oakland, New England, Houston, Indy, Carolina, Atlanta

It is pretty rare that they do the re-match of a SB on opening night. I can see a re-match of an AFCCG but I doubt they want the Patriots that early in the year. I am going with it most likely being the Colts.

Thoughts?

If Peyton is no longer there is don't think the excitement of colts broncos will be that high

Thoughts?

The Colts are coming off an 8-8 season. They don't have the cache like they used to. Plus Manning will be gone so there will not be the indy / denver connection any longer. I sincerely doubt the Colts will be the season opener.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

For what it is worth, they are the team that took Andrew Luck out of the season. I think Andrew Luck begins his comeback player of the year campaign with the Broncos, we will see when the schedule comes out.

Speaking of, at what time does the schedule come out usually? Is there a set date?

And I think there is a decent chance we open at Denver. But right now, I'd put my money on the Patriots starting there. 

45 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

The Colts are coming off an 8-8 season. They don't have the cache like they used to. Plus Manning will be gone so there will not be the indy / denver connection any longer. I sincerely doubt the Colts will be the season opener.

We went 8-8 with back up quarterbacks. We beat the undefeated broncos, and took the panthers to overtime. I don't think our record is indicative of our team.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Thoughts?

I wouldn't expect it to be a divisional opponent. And like you say, I don't think they'd want the Pats game that early in the season, but that's mostly based on them typically scheduled Manning v. Brady in November, and Manning probably won't be there. The SB rematch seems like a midseason matchup, also, unless there's considerable reason to expect either team to fall off next season, and I don't think there is. 

I think Indy is high on the list, along with Atlanta and Houston. But I wonder if they'd prefer it be a playoff team from the previous season, in which case Houston would be the favorite. But then we'd bring KC, New England and Carolina back into the picture.

I'm all for it being the Colts.

2 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

We went 8-8 with back up quarterbacks. We beat the undefeated broncos, and took the panthers to overtime. I don't think our record is indicative of our team.

True. Our record with Luck was worse than with the backups, so 8-8 is probably better than we can expect with a healthy Luck.

With Peyton retiring, there really isn't as much allure to the Colts vs Broncos. I don't see that being an opening game. If anything Id say Broncos vs. Chiefs for the opener.

The Colts might open against the Vikings since I think we play the NFC North this year. It would be a compelling match-up.

10 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

All true but still does not alter the perception on a national level that the Colts are not as exciting as they once were.  I think that Indy has lost some of its pizazz, which as it relates to opening night, is not in their favor.

11 hours ago, NorthernBlue said:

Speaking of, at what time does the schedule come out usually? Is there a set date?

And I think there is a decent chance we open at Denver. But right now, I'd put my money on the Patriots starting there. 

They'll announce the opening game before the rest of the season schedule. Usually it's right around draft time.

15 hours ago, chad72 said:

Thoughts?

I would think we are due for a home opener. I think we have had 1 or 2 in like 12 years.

5 hours ago, Chucklez said:

He wont be... all the furor around this has died down dramatically and people dont care anymore.

its not over, he still has to go to court and popular opinion should not be a factor.  i think he gets out of it, but its pretty early to rule it out entirely 

4 hours ago, jskinnz said:

All true but still does not alter the perception on a national level that the Colts are not as exciting as they once were.  I think that Indy has lost some of its pizazz, which as it relates to opening night, is not in their favor.

definitely true.  as far as popular opinions go we are not even in the top 10 in power rankings, and that is with luck healthy 

5 hours ago, Chucklez said:

He wont be... all the furor around this has died down dramatically and people dont care anymore.

I guess the boos for Brady might tell a different story about all the furor?  Somehow I don't think the NFL and Goodell is going to lay down after an outside court ruled over the collective bargaining agreement. I could be wrong but we will wait and see.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I guess the boos for Brady might tell a different story about all the furor?  Somehow I don't think the NFL and Goodell is going to lay down after an outside court ruled over the collective bargaining agreement. I could be wrong but we will wait and see.

its far from over if Goodell gets his way

Something else to consider is that the Colts could be placed in the Hall of Fame preseason game due to the team having two enshrinees. I will not be happy if the league makes the Colts play five preseason games and have a shorter preparation period for a regular season opener at Denver.

On ‎2‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 10:35 PM, chad72 said:

For what it is worth, they are the team that took Andrew Luck out of the season. I think Andrew Luck begins his comeback player of the year campaign with the Broncos, we will see when the schedule comes out.

I hope not.  Treveathon, Talib, Ward, Ware & Miller are not who we want testing our (hopefully) new and improved offensive line the first game of the season.  If so, then I hope we have eye shields installed.

• 1 month later...