Cam Newton walks out of post SB interview

chad72

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Blue Horseshoe said:

I'm not the least bit surprised by the way the man acted.  He is a front runner who is quite happy to clown it up for the cameras with his Superman thing when everything is going great but he pouts when things go badly.

Agreed. Cannot stand double standard hypocrisy. Lose with class, Cam Newton.

He could have made the interview super short, but yet done it with some class.
 Something like

"This sucks or hurts a lot. We wanted to win. I'm upset and really don't have the words to speak right now or properly answer questions right now. I am sorry"

Something instead of sounding rude.

11 hours ago, Gavin said:

Until you are in his situation which you will never be...Then you should not be casting stones. He was being asked the same questions, He was asked if this loss was hard at least 3 times, He did his obligation to the media..which he was not timed as far as I know  and he could end it when he wanted

Well Gavin I do not think YOU will ever be in his situation.

Cam should not be walking out of an interview when he considered their leader.  Robert E Lee even showed up with class at his surrender.  Ask your 50 dollar bill.

"I am above the Super Bowl and the obligations that come to it.  He went to his surrender with NO Class!!!

2 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Cam should not be walking out of an interview when he considered their leader.  Robert E Lee even showed up with class at his surrender.  Ask your 50 dollar bill.

"I am above the Super Bowl and the obligations that come to it.  He went to his surrender with NO Class!!!

Your last sentence is a GREAT lesson for all when it comes to losing in any sport! 

:scoregood:

Cam should have been a more gracious loser and shown more maturity and sportsmanship.  His responses and behavior during the press conference were not that of a leader. He could have congratulated the Broncos and said he plans to work harder to make it back. I thought Ron Rivera and most of the other players were gracious. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

Cam should have been a more gracious loser and shown more maturity and sportsmanship.  His responses and behavior during the press conference was not that of a leader. He could have congratulated the Broncos and said he plans to work harder to make it back. I thought Ron Rivera and most of the other players were gracious. 

Well said!!! 

3 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Cam should have been a more gracious loser and shown more maturity and sportsmanship.  His responses and behavior during the press conference was not that of a leader. He could have congratulated the Broncos and said he plans to work harder to make it back. I thought Ron Rivera and most of the other players were gracious. 

What a time to run out of likes. After the SB. I threw out over 50 already. Doggone it. :) 

ColtRider likes this!

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

How does one run out of likes. Lol.  I don't believe that has ever happened to me. I guess I am not generous enough?

I think I plaster my likes all over the place.  Hey, I see something I like? I automatically hit the icon. :) 

Best he kept his mouth shut and maybe for a few more days.
He blew some early throws he can`t be proud of, and his teammates made a steady game long bunch of screw ups that brought him down mentally. You could see it in his face and body language.

He had little to give emotionally from early in the game and on.
  By mid 3rd quarter he was ready to throw in the towel, No Mas!

50 minutes ago, ColtRider said:

And we sure saw the "worst" out of Cam Newton after the game.

I suppose

But I think it is also bad to pile it on him right now.  Sure, he should have done better

But we've been on the losing end of the superbowl and know that pain goes on for a long long time

Cannot imagine the impact for the players and the coaches

But yes, he's now getting a lesson in what happens to you when you do like he did.  So, he made it even worse for himself

Learning the hard way

27 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

We're really comparing Cam Newton to the General of the Confederate Army when it comes to being a leader and showing class...Ok then. 

9 minutes ago, Nadine said:

I suppose

But I think it is also bad to pile it on him right now.  Sure, he should have done better

But we've been on the losing end of the superbow and know that pain goes on for a long long time

Cannot imagine the impact for the players and the coaches

But yes, he's now getting a lesson in what happens to you when you do like he did.  So, he made it even worse for himself

Learning the hard way

Touche', Nadine. I concur. Double standards hit me hard. Learning how to lose with class & dignity have always been a trait that I admire vehemently. 

At least he was good enough to congratulate the other team after the game. After losing to the saints didn't Manning just run straight off the field and not even congratulate anyone?  I might be wrong on this but I can't remember.  I believe Cam set himself up for being picked on.

12 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Peyton gave professional answers after his 43-8 Super Bowl a couple of years ago.  Imagine if Cam went through what Peyton did that day.  There's no way Cam would show that same type of professionalism.  We get that you're upset, but be a professional and answer the questions.

Peyton would have dove on a fumble at 43-8, not jumped back with the game on the line.

12 hours ago, krunk said:

Deion Sanders kills me sometimes though. He acts like we don't remember him spraying that reporter in the face with that champagne bottle years ago.

Derek Jeter poured champagne on Kim Jones' head in a locker room celebration one time and he's the classiest ball player we will see in 50 years.

Just now, bababooey said:

Peyton would have dove on a fumble at 43-8, not jumped back with the game on the line.

What exactly makes you so certain this is the case? Did you go to some alternate universe and see a version of the game where he fumbled and then dove for it? This is some real weird caping up for Manning. 

I really don't care about Cam Newton's post game press conference. I hate post game pressers most of the time, especially when you lose the biggest game of your life. We hold these guys to incredibly high standards, and when they are full of raw emotion we expect them to be top notch examples of class, sportsmanship and professionalism. I think that's silly.

Of course, if you already dislike Cam Newton, then this is great fodder.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I really don't care about Cam Newton's post game press conference. I hate post game pressers most of the time, especially when you lose the biggest game of your life. We hold these guys to incredibly high standards, and when they are full of raw emotion we expect them to be top notch examples of class, sportsmanship and professionalism. I think that's silly.

Exactly!

You can try to get up and run after already being tackled after he picked up that first down but if you're gonna wear a Superman shirt and gaudy gold MVP shoes on the field don't act like Lois Lane when the ball is on the ground in front of you and run away from the questions on the podium after the game. 

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I hear ya, MOS! But even my grandchildren recognize the definition of losing with grace. I just think he could've handled it in a much better fashion. I know these guys are pumped after games. Maybe the NFL/Media should give these guys a couple hours to reflect before approaching a mic.

Greatness, in all of it's forms, must be recognized by athletes on every wrung of the ladder. Including how to conduct one's self after losing. Wouldn't you think?

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

I really don't care about Cam Newton's game press conference. I hate post game pressers most of the time, especially when you lose the biggest game of your life. We hold these guys to incredibly high standards, and when they are full of raw emotion we expect them to be top notch examples of class, sportsmanship and professionalism. I think that's silly.

You are correct.

And I will honestly admit I already had a dislike for him.  I admire his athletic ability, but I very much dislike his arrogance.  

48 minutes ago, Superman said:

This past Super Bowl is the biggest Christmas present for those that already dislike Cam. 

Not only about the whole "class" debate, but the way he regressed in that game and looked like he did from the previous seasons as an average to good quarterback, and not the big MVP guy that he was this year.

I'm very disappointed in Newton for this game. Granted, he's an arrogant guy in times he can be very arrogant, I don't deny that at all. But he just won MVP, and you couldn't tell from watching this game. This game was all on him to go out and prove every doubter wrong, by winning it, and he had so many chances to do that last night. It's on him, I don't feel sorry for him at all. 

I keep reading articles that he heard Chris Harris talking about them, and Denver wanting to force Carolina to throw the ball in an adjacent interview.  Cam could clearly hear Chris talking which is maybe what set him off.

"Load the box, force y’all to throw the ball. Can you throw the football? That was the game plan," Harris said.

2 hours ago, ColtRider said:

I hear ya, MOS! But even my grandchildren recognize the definition of losing with grace. I just think he could've handled it in a much better fashion. I know these guys are pumped after games. Maybe the NFL/Media should give these guys a couple hours to reflect before approaching a mic.

Greatness, in all of it's forms, must be recognized by athletes on every wrung of the ladder. Including how to conduct one's self after losing. Wouldn't you think?

No question he could have handled it better. Russell Wilson threw the game away last year, and still stood up and faced the music. Others have as well.

But this is the same annoyance I have with mediathink in general. I feel professional athletes, especially QBs, are held to a ridiculously high standard, and as soon as they fall short of that standard, we pile on. Especially when it comes to how they deal with the media.

And then the double standards... Fans and media criticize athletes for rehearsed, prepared comments, for being totally corporate and not saying anything interesting, etc. (Some media are teasing Peyton Manning for his postgame comments being too vanilla and playing to middle America, for instance.) But then, whenever someone says something truly genuine and authentic, they're criticized for breaking character and going off-script. Cam Newton is criticized for being exuberant and expressive in victory, but then he's criticized for being raw and emotional in defeat. He loves to win and hates to lose. Surprise!

Fans and the media want to live on both sides of the fence so that their grass is always green. That's not real life, IMO. Sometimes, a person isn't going to express themselves in the absolute perfect manner. Sometimes they'll say something that rubs other people the wrong way. Especially when you're sticking a mic in their face half an hour after they just lost the biggest game of their life.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

But this is the same annoyance I have with mediathink in general. I feel professional athletes, especially QBs, are held to a ridiculously high standard, and as soon as they fall short of that standard, we pile on. Especially when it comes to how they deal with the media.

Agreed, but I do think some of that comes from how much money they make. For most of us, they're making over 10,000 times what we earn. A lot of people's jobs are held to high standards, ridicule and unfair bias. The key difference, and it's a HUGE one, is that normally they aren't plastered all over the news. 

These things happen on a micro and macro level unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

You are correct.

And I will honestly admit I already had a dislike for him.  I admire his athletic ability, but I very much dislike his arrogance.  

It's great seeing someone like him humbled. Let this be a learning experience to grow from and come back even stronger.

It's even better Peyton got to go out the way he deserved. I can't wait to tell stories about him to my future kids.