Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Dungy & Harrison HoF per Jim Irsay

bababooey

4 hours ago, BOTT said:

Being a very nice guy payed off for Dungy

139-69 for his career (.668 winning percentage).

85-27 with Indy (a staggering .759 winning percentage).

Dungy was the first African-American head coach to win a SB.

He is only the 3rd man, ever, to win a SB as both a coach (XLI) and a player (XIII).

So, yeah, I'd say Dungy earned the induction based on merit, and being a nice guy was just the cherry on top.

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

He is only the 3rd man, ever, to win a SB as both a coach (XLI) and a player (XIII).

So, yeah, I'd say Dungy earned the induction based on merit, and being a nice guy was just the cherry on top.

Wow, I never knew Dungy was black.

6 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

I understand that people disagree on things.

I just think as a Colts fan most would be ecstatic to have not only one, but TWO from our organization being recognized and going in at the same time.   Something definitely worth celebrating and being proud of.

Not to the ones who have a negative attitude and a argumentative mind set.

24 minutes ago, shakedownstreet said:

it was uncanny how he'd catch the ball inches past the first down marker and 3rd downs. he just did it again & again & again

And the way he would stay 'just in bounds' was incredible.  Amazing athlete. Uncanny is right

Long overdue for Marvin. Surprised some for Tony, as there are other coaches with better records not in (Martyball) but winning the Super Bowl helps and having     Peyton to pad those win totals. Since Marvin is not a gabber, wonder how short his HOF speech will be Who will induct them? Would Tony ask Peyton?

8 hours ago, zibby43 said:

I won`t argue that he doesn't`t belong in the HOF because it has turned into the Hall of very Good IMO. However, stats often tell and don`t tell all. For example Dungy was 9-10 in post season play, which is below 500% WP. Dungy and M. Kiffin  together came up with the Tampa-2. Kiffin is rarely discussed about helping implement the Tampa-2 for reasons unknown. Gruden, not Dungy won a SB with Bucs the following year. When Dungy came to the Colts he inherited literally the greatest offense for 5 years and managed one SB. Known as a defensive genius, he failed to produce a even average defense. The Colts were lucky to win in 2006 IMO. During his tenure as coach, Dungy was out coached in more big games than he won. Irsay, wants multiple SB`s from Luck, just as he thought he should have had with Manning. Just my 2 cents but I really think is overrated for obvious reasons. He is a really nice guy though!

Glad Marvin got in.  Just ask anyone who tried to defend him during his prime-time run, he belongs.  He might not have been there because of the last several years of not getting in and getting rejected.  Does anyone know if he showed up the last several years?  I'm not sure if he did then either.  I do not hold that against him and I hope others don't either.  It's what his colleagues think, not the media anyway.

2 minutes ago, chrisfarley said:

Glad Marvin got in.  Just ask anyone who tried to defend him during his prime-time run, he belongs.  He might not have been there because of the last several years of not getting in and getting rejected.  Does anyone know if he showed up the last several years?  I'm not sure if he did then either.  I do not hold that against him and I hope others don't either.  It's what his colleagues think, not the media anyway.

I read that he had plans to fly in overnight and be there for the SB.  

15 hours ago, peytonmanning18 said:

So Marvin couldn't even carve time into his schedule to be there with the rest of the new class of hall of famers

I am just shocked that in what was outstanding news for fans of the Colts along with Harrison & Dungy, that you would find the negative perspective.

Do you ever smile?  

16 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Great resume...I just didnt think the Hall would recognize him for a few more years.

I'm really, really happy they did.

He also instituted a style..that Tampa 2...that became popular league wide

23 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Dungy definitely deserved his induction based on merit.  The only real knock on him is despite all of that success only one ring and of course people expected the Colts defense to be better.  But the problem with the Colts, minus Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, most of the Colts payroll went to the offense.  Also, the Colts defense didn't give up a lot of points under Dungy, the bend don't break defense worked for the most part.  The Colts defense in the playoffs leading up to their Super Bowl victory is what got them there, especially in the Ravens game where the offense wasn't effective.  

Looking back, I think Dungy was underappreciated here, at least until we had to deal with Caldwell and even Pagano.  Dungy was a much more intelligent coach than either of them and I like Pagano.  I don't ever remember him losing a challenge.  He knew the game like the back of his hand and much more often than not made the right decisions in games.  He was also very good at making adjustments at halftime.  How many times were the Colts getting beat down in the first half, only to come back and win?  A lot, and yeah Manning was a big part of that, but so was Dungy. 

5 hours ago, Corndog said:

Dungy definitely deserved his induction based on merit.  The only real knock on him is despite all of that success only one ring and of course people expected the Colts defense to be better.  But the problem with the Colts, minus Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis, most of the Colts payroll went to the offense.  Also, the Colts defense didn't give up a lot of points under Dungy, the bend don't break defense worked for the most part.  The Colts defense in the playoffs leading up to their Super Bowl victory is what got them there, especially in the Ravens game where the offense wasn't effective.  

Looking back, I think Dungy was underappreciated here, at least until we had to deal with Caldwell and even Pagano.  Dungy was a much more intelligent coach than either of them and I like Pagano.  I don't ever remember him losing a challenge.  He knew the game like the back of his hand and much more often than not made the right decisions in games.  He was also very good at making adjustments at halftime.  How many times were the Colts getting beat down in the first half, only to come back and win?  A lot, and yeah Manning was a big part of that, but so was Dungy. 

For the most part, Manning and the offense carried the team. It was really a stroke of Luck Bob Sanders came back and a defense decided to show up in 2006. The Bears were not a good football team representing the NFC that year. The Colts were lucky to win it all that season. I beg to differ that the Colts didn`t give up a lot of points because they did. I`m in agreement with Mr. Irsay that those Manning years should have lead to more than one SB. Ultimately, I put a lot of the blame on Dungy, but not all of it. He was suppose to be a defensive mastermind, however except for that miracle playoff run, I never saw an average to above defense with him as coach in Indy. I`m happy that people are excited he got in, but I think he`s overrated. Just my 2 cents!  

7 hours ago, MPStack said:

For the most part, Manning and the offense carried the team. It was really a stroke of Luck Bob Sanders came back and a defense decided to show up in 2006. The Bears were not a good football team representing the NFC that year. The Colts were lucky to win it all that season. I beg to differ that the Colts didn`t give up a lot of points because they did. I`m in agreement with Mr. Irsay that those Manning years should have lead to more than one SB. Ultimately, I put a lot of the blame on Dungy, but not all of it. He was suppose to be a defensive mastermind, however except for that miracle playoff run, I never saw an average to above defense with him as coach in Indy. I`m happy that people are excited he got in, but I think he`s overrated. Just my 2 cents!  

I will admit the defense was underwhelming and we expected more from that part of his game when he came in.  However, I blame that more on Polian.  He was overpaying several of the top players on the team and it gave very little room for depth and improving the defense.  This was also still a time when there was no salary cap for rookies, so they couldn't draft anyone that demanded top dollar due to the lack of room in the salary cap.  Dungy's defense was successful at times for Indy and those times were when the Colts had a very good DT, the few times Corey Simon was actually healthy.  

His defense needed a strong DT to work, like when he had Sapp in Tampa Bay.  The Colts never drafted one(in a lower round) while he was there and they didn't have the money to buy one that could stay healthy and be effective. 

On February 7, 2016 at 5:06 AM, Nadine said:

I really loved watching Marvin play.  

Every time I think of Marvin Harrison I think of 3 things: what a great WR/route runner he was, how Peyton said in an interview once how #88 didn't exactly treat his body like a temple, & when moderator Nadine found that video for me of Marvin hiding candy & other treats in cabinets around his house. 

I love Marvin & all but that was the last thing I expected from a NFL athlete. Tasty non nutritious, snacks concealed everywhere like Charlie & the Chocolate Factory collided with the Old Woman living in the Shoe children's fable. 

I was surprised when Marvin wasn't present for his HOF Finalist announcement at the NFL Honors Show, but then I remembered that Marvin owns a bar & if he has a small staff on duty he probably can't just leave town, close business briefly, & just stand in like for less than a minute for a few photos. I don't blame him actually. 

Loved watching him play ball. He made every stance at the line of scrimmage look identical. DB's never knew what route he was gonna run on the field or if he was just there to block on a running down. 

It feels good knowing that we [INDY] got to showcase #88 & #18 within 48 hours. A spectacular weekend! 

Slightly off topic: 

I was glad to see Steelers & Panthers LB Kevin Greene get into the HOF too. Just a ferocious beast on the field who later molded Clay Matthews in GB & got his ring as a coordinator in 2010. I still wish he was still coaching & on our sideline. I have a soft spot for Mr. Greene man. Just a tenacious pass rusher man in his day. 

On February 8, 2016 at 6:25 PM, grmasterb said:

Marvin does not like the spotlight. I bet he gives the shortest induction speech ever.

True G-tb, Marvin will never go over his allotted speech time. He was 'all about that action boss' before Marshawn Lynch, that other superstar in Seattle, even made a name for himself. 

Score a touchdown, hand the ball to the ref, repeat...#88 was the man. Actions speak louder than words...