71 members have voted

1. 1. Who is more of a icon in indy

• Peyton manning
    • Reggie miller

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah its much harder. In the NFL you just have to win 3-4 games lol. And you get a week to prepare for each one.

In baseball it is much tougher but the team with the best pitching always wins.

In basketball you have to have 3 great players out of 5 starters and beat another team with 3 great starters of their own.  And you don't get a bye either. You have to win 16 games, more than baseball or football.

"All you have to do is get 3 great players" .....YEAH THATS REAL EASY! There are only 8-10 guys who play. That's the equivalent of a football team fielding a roster with at least 15 great players. Its 60% of your starting unit.

In fact its not even close.

2 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Yeah its much harder. In the NFL you just have to win 3-4 games lol. And you get a week to prepare for each one.

In baseball it is much tougher but the team with the best pitching always wins.

In basketball you have to have 3 great players out of 5 starters and beat another team with 3 great starters of your own.  And you don't get a bye either. You have to win 16 games, more than baseball or football.

"All you have to do is get 3 great players" .....YEAH THATS REAL EASY! There are only 8-10 guys who play. That's the equivalent of a football team fielding a roster with at least 15 great players. Its 60% of your starting unit.

In fact its not even close.

Common sense will tell you its easier to get 5 players to play as a unit over 22.  Basketball players are not getting pounded on every play either. Just learning the playbook in the NFL is much harder than anything you have to learn in the NBA. Yes the NFL has a week to prepare but you are not factoring in the healing process in that week. It may be your opinion that a NBA title is easier to win than a super bowl but it don't make it true. In basketball you have a chance to win a series. In the NFL it's win or go home. And you think the NBA is harder? Sorry but my reply to you is "nonsense".

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

The oline and running game were the MVPs of that playoff run.  The Colts would get the ball and hold 7 minutes at a time, especially vs the Ravens and Bears.  Honestly Peyton win that ring by being a game manager.  Then the one half he had to be great he was.  While the defense, the line, and the running backs get the credit they don't win that Super Bowl without that second half vs. New England from Peyton and it's important not to over look it.  

Yes, but without that defense they lose the first game that year. Manning was atrocious. Without Bob Sanders they are 1 and done. Yes he was great against the Pats, for a single half. But he was Joe Flacco the rest of the playoffs.

Reggie never won but he got to the conference finals 7 times I believe and they lost to more talented teams every single time. If he had one other player his caliber his entire career he would have won a ring.

The greatest NBA team in history was the 95-96 Bulls who only lost 10 games all year. The Pacers split the season series with them that season and took them to 7 games in the playoffs and were winning in the 4th quarter of game 7 on the road. If Reggie had a player the caliber of Scottie Pippen to play with, he would've won multiple titles. I have no doubt about that.

Those Pacers teams just didn't have the talent to win a title in that era. But Reggie carried them further than they ever should've went. He was as fierce of a competitor as has ever stepped on a court. 

And he was CLUTCH. Was Manning clutch? Or when we went into a big game did people question how he would play? No one ever questioned whether Reggie would bring it when we needed it, because he always did.

I don't expect Reggie to win on a Colts board but some of these comments about this are just plain *ic and disrespectful to a great, great athlete. 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Common sense will tell you its easier to get 5 players to play as a unit over 22.  Basketball players are not getting pounded on every play either. Just learning the playbook in the NFL is much harder than anything you have to learn in the NBA. Yes the NFL has a week to prepare but you are not factoring in the healing process in that week. It may be your opinion that a NBA title is easier to win than a super bowl but it don't make it true. In basketball you have a chance to win a series. In the NFL it's win or go home. And you think the NBA is harder? Sorry but my reply to you is "nonsense".

Football players only play half the game and spend half the time they are out there standing around resting. Manning has had a damn pot belly his entire career and couldn't break 5 seconds on a 40 yard dash. How is a sport harder to play when you don't even have to be a great athlete to play it? Yes there is more strategy but having time to develop a strategy is a plus. Basketball players are more responsible for what happens on the court because they are forced to improvise on the fly. Its a game of constant motion. 

And I hate to break it to you but its always much harder to win 16 games than 4. Yes lose 1 and your done but you can go thru the entire playoffs and not even have to play a road game. 

I've played both sports and basketball players are easily the greatest athletes on earth. If you don't believe me go sit front row at an NBA game. 

5 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Yes, but without that defense they lose the first game that year. Manning was atrocious. Without Bob Sanders they are 1 and done. Yes he was great against the Pats, for a single half. But he was Joe Flacco the rest of the playoffs.

Reggie never won but he got to the conference finals 7 times I believe and they lost to more talented teams every single time. If he had one other player his caliber his entire career he would have won a ring.

The greatest NBA team in history was the 95-96 Bulls who only lost 10 games all year. The Pacers split the season series with them that season and took them to 7 games in the playoffs and were winning in the 4th quarter of game 7 on the road. If Reggie had a player the caliber of Scottie Pippen to play with, he would've won multiple titles. I have no doubt about that.

Those Pacers teams just didn't have the talent to win a title in that era. But Reggie carried them further than they ever should've went. He was as fierce of a competitor as has ever stepped on a court. 

And he was CLUTCH. Was Manning clutch? Or when we went into a big game did people question how he would play? No one ever questioned whether Reggie would bring it when we needed it, because he always did.

I don't expect Reggie to win on a Colts board but some of these comments about this are just plain *ic and disrespectful to a great, great athlete. 

Was Manning clutch?  Look at all the two minute drives he had to win games while he was here.  Also despite popular belief not all the playoff loses while he was here where his fault.  In fact not once but twice he put his kicker in poistion to win or tie the game and the kicker missed in the playoffs.  Then there was the second charges loss where he threw for like 300 yards and no picks and they still lost.  Manning has had his post season struggles no doubt but Manning was still clutch.  Also I remember a few playoff games in Reggie's career where he missed at the end (a game five elimination game against the Hawks, game four vs the Lakers in the finals, and his last game come to mind).  

Also, the Pacers lost in the conference finals as the one or two seed at least three times including getting upset by the 8th seeded Knicks one year in the conference finals.  Make no mistake those teams had the talent to win, they just didn't, just like the Colts.  

Also, it's not disrespectful to say Peyton Manning was a bigger icon the Reggie Miller.  He was.  Peyton Manning was a face of a league and you can argue is the greatest player at his poistion of all time.  I love Reggie Miller but he wasnt even the best player in the league at his poistion most of his career.  That's not a shot at Reggie but he was never on the same level as Peyton was interms of being an icon.  Like I said before though, he is still the best Pacer of all time and his spot on the mt Rushmore of Indianapolis sports stars is well secured.  He's probably the second greatest sports player this town has ever seen and being second to Peyton Manning isn't disrespecting anyone.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Was Manning clutch?  Look at all the two minute drives he had to win games while he was here.  Also despite popular belief not all the playoff loses while he was here where his fault.  In fact not once but twice he put his kicker in poistion to win or tie the game and the kicker missed in the playoffs.  Then there was the second charges loss where he threw for like 300 yards and no picks and they still lost.  Manning has had his post season struggles no doubt but Manning was still clutch.  Also I remember a few playoff games in Reggie's career where he missed at the end (a game five elimination game against the Hawks, game four vs the Lakers in the finals, and his last game come to mind).  

Also, the Pacers lost in the conference finals as the one or two seed at least three times including getting upset by the 8th seeded Knicks one year in the conference finals.  Make no mistake those teams had the talent to win, they just didn't, just like the Colts.  

Also, it's not disrespectful to say Peyton Manning was a bigger icon the Reggie Miller.  He was.  Peyton Manning was a face of a league and you can argue is the greatest player at his poistion of all time.  I love Reggie Miller but he wasnt even the best player in the league at his poistion most of his career.  That's not a shot at Reggie but he was never on the same level as Peyton was interms of being an icon.  Like I said before though, he is still the best Pacer of all time and his spot on the mt Rushmore of Indianapolis sports stars is well secured.  He's probably the second greatest sports player this town has ever seen and being second to Peyton Manning isn't disrespecting anyone.  

Did Manning have a chance to score a TD on those drives where Vanderjagt shanked the kick? That's my point. Football is a team sport. Basketball is more of an individual sport. Reggie didn't have the luxury of pinning his losses on the defense or the kicker. 

Colts fans have this thing.....when people argue Tom Brady is better than Manning they cry "Its a team game!".......but when it comes to the TEAMS accomishments, they want to give Manning all the credit despite him not playing well in the playoffs overall. Make up your mind. If Manning is responsible for the success then you have to hold him accountable for the losses or you have to minimize his impact.

Of course Reggie missed shots. Of course Manning made critical plays that lead to wins as well. But Reggie was a bigger part of those Pacers teams accomplishments than Manning ever could be for the Colts. It is just not possible for a football player to have that kind of impact, IMO. 

Basketball players like Reggie play 75 percent of the game. They impact every minute they are out there. And they have to play offense and defense. Peyton played 60% of the game on a good day. 

The disrespect Reggie is getting in this thread is unbelievable. Not even the biggest basketball star in the state??? Really??

hes only one of the purest shooters in the history of the NBA. Everyone is so amazed by Curry right now but Reggie was doing exactly what he is doing now when Curry was still crapping himself. Let's also forget to mention that he is one of the best 3 point shooters of all time and one of the most consistent free throw shooters. 

And one one of the most clutch players in the playoffs you'll ever see. 

1 hour ago, GoatBeard said:

Football players only play half the game and spend half the time they are out there standing around resting. Manning has had a damn pot belly his entire career and couldn't break 5 seconds on a 40 yard dash. How is a sport harder to play when you don't even have to be a great athlete to play it? Yes there is more strategy but having time to develop a strategy is a plus. Basketball players are more responsible for what happens on the court because they are forced to improvise on the fly. Its a game of constant motion. 

And I hate to break it to you but its always much harder to win 16 games than 4. Yes lose 1 and your done but you can go thru the entire playoffs and not even have to play a road game. 

I've played both sports and basketball players are easily the greatest athletes on earth. If you don't believe me go sit front row at an NBA game. 

No one was talking about the best athlete in sports. We were talking the different leagues and witch one has a harder task to win a championship. Nice try.

4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

The disrespect Reggie is getting in this thread is unbelievable. Not even the biggest basketball star in the state??? Really??

hes only one of the purest shooters in the history of the NBA. Everyone is so amazed by Curry right now but Reggie was doing exactly what he is doing now when Curry was still crapping himself. Let's also forget to mention that he is one of the best 3 point shooters of all time and one of the most consistent free throw shooters. 

I agree. 

Really Cheryl's little brother?  While Reggie wasn't Micheal Jordan, he nevertheless was very good. Rarely could a team shut him down all game long.  And he played in an era where they didn't call fouls just for barely touching a guys jersey. 

4 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

disrespect?  Reggie wasnt near the level of player Bird and Oscar were.  Not even close.

I just wished Reggie showed up morein the NBA Finals vs the Lakers. They managed to mess him up with Robert Horry, that long armed defender. :) 

In the NBA, free agency (which is dictated by market too) is a bigger factor than the draft. In the NFL, due to salary cap reasons, the draft is a bigger factor, IMO. But you don't have one guy touching the ball all the time like a QB. Peyton was like a point guard that could also shoot at a high level, think of it like that. His chances to shine were far more by touching the ball every time he was on the field. So this could be a case of apples to oranges comparison.

However, the Hoosier state has always been a basketball state, so Reggie's contributions, as significant as they may be, did not make the Hoosier state fall in love with basketball any more than it already had. But with Peyton, he did change the dynamic of how football is viewed in the Hoosier state. By virtue of that, he had a better impact.

15 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Larry Birds greatest moments happened in Boston. I would agree with those sentiments if he played here. 

So yes Reggie is the most iconic basketball player to ever play in Indiana. He has more great moments than any other athlete we have ever had. People will talk about 8 points in 9 seconds 100 years from now. Its one of the most iconic moments from the entire history of the NBA.

Another reason I think of Reggie being more iconic is that this is a basketball state, always has been and always will be. 12 of the top 13 largest high school gymnasiums in the country are located in the small state of Indiana. Think about how crazy that is. We filled up the RCA dome to watch Damon Bailey in a high school game. The HS title games for football barely draw a crowd.

Nothing against Peyton at all. He has done a lot for the sport of football in Indiana and I firmly believe the team would be in LA without him. But I don't think he will ever have the status Reggie has here because of the sport he played. We just aren't into football the way we are basketball. 

You are in a small minority.   The Colts popularity surpassed the Pacers popularity long ago

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

I agree. 

Really Cheryl's little brother?  While Reggie wasn't Micheal Jordan, he nevertheless was very good. Rarely could a team shut him down all game long.  And he played in an era where they didn't call fouls just for barely touching a guys jersey. 

Uh,  yeah they did.    Did you not watch any of the playoffs between the Pacers and knicks?

4 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Uh,  yeah they did.    Did you not watch any of the playoffs between the Pacers and knicks?

Yes. I had season tickets and playoff tickets from 93 till 2001. Those playoff series were bloodpaths. And those weren't * for tat fouls,  they fouled each other HARD.

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yes. I had season tickets and playoff tickets from 93 till 2001. Those playoff series were bloodpaths. And those weren't * for tat fouls,  they fouled each other HARD.

Do you not remember the ticky tack foul they gave larry johnson and then gave him continuation on a 3 pointer.  Turned into a 4 point play late in the game

A single bad call isn't really an accurate representation of the game in the 90's. The NBA was brutal back then. It wasn't a game of big hits like football but you had to have incredible conditioning and endurance to play it. People talk about the toughness of football players, but Dale Davis used to dislocate his shoulder all the time and on more than one occasion, popped it back in and returned to the game afterwards. Football players nowadays would be out 4-6 weeks. Watch highlights of what the bad boy pistons did to Jordan before he ever won a title, or of the Knicks-Pacers rivalry and tell me it was a soft game. It wasn't soft at all. Reggie also was one of the toughest around at that time. Teams used to beat the hell out of him as he was running off screens to try and stop him, and despite only weighing 180lbs soaking wet, he took it and took it some more and rarely got hurt and never complained. For me its the most under appreciated aspect of his career.

Does anyone really believe if the Pacers were contenders and the Colts were average that the Colts would be more popular than the Pacers? They wouldn't. People have really gotten into the Colts because its fun to root for a winner, not necesarily because they love football. This isn't Texas. 

The only Indiana basketball icon that even compares to Reggie is Slick Leonard. Those two accomplished great things, IN INDIANA, at our favorite sport. Bobby Knight did as well but he wasnt nearly as likable as Reggie or Slick and therefore doesn't have as much appeal as them. John Wooden, Larry Bird and Oscar accomplished great things in other cities. None of those guys brought Indiana anything other than amateur accomplishments. And whoever said Damon Bailey is just trolling. 

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

No one was talking about the best athlete in sports. We were talking the different leagues and witch one has a harder task to win a championship. Nice try.

I was responding to a comment about football being a harder game to play. A sentiment I strongly disagree with. 

I feel basketball is the tougher sport to play. 

30 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

A single bad call isn't really an accurate representation of the game in the 90's. The NBA was brutal back then. It wasn't a game of big hits like football but you had to have incredible conditioning and endurance to play it. People talk about the toughness of football players, but Dale Davis used to dislocate his shoulder all the time and on more than one occasion, popped it back in and returned to the game afterwards. Football players nowadays would be out 4-6 weeks. Watch highlights of what the bad boy pistons did to Jordan before he ever won a title, or of the Knicks-Pacers rivalry and tell me it was a soft game. It wasn't soft at all. Reggie also was one of the toughest around at that time. Teams used to beat the hell out of him as he was running off screens to try and stop him, and despite only weighing 180lbs soaking wet, he took it and took it some more and rarely got hurt and never complained. For me its the most under appreciated aspect of his career.

Does anyone really believe if the Pacers were contenders and the Colts were average that the Colts would be more popular than the Pacers? They wouldn't. People have really gotten into the Colts because its fun to root for a winner, not necesarily because they love football. This isn't Texas. 

The only Indiana basketball icon that even compares to Reggie is Slick Leonard. Those two accomplished great things, IN INDIANA, at our favorite sport. Bobby Knight did as well but he wasnt nearly as likable as Reggie or Slick and therefore doesn't have as much appeal as them. John Wooden, Larry Bird and Oscar accomplished great things in other cities. None of those guys brought Indiana anything other than amateur accomplishments. And whoever said Damon Bailey is just trolling. 

I don't think I could have said it any better

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Do you not remember the ticky tack foul they gave larry johnson and then gave him continuation on a 3 pointer.  Turned into a 4 point play late in the game

Sadly I do. But now a days, that's considered a "hard foul".  LeBron would be a nothing in the 90s. He'd cried his way out of the league back then.

7 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Amateur basketball > NBA in Indiana

Clearly a lot of people on this forum who had no clue about Indianapolis sports prior to Peyton's glory years.  Peyton and the Colts weren't even the biggest deal in town until after Reggie retired.  I still give it to Peyton, but it's MUCH closer for people who've been in this town and with its teams longer than 15 years.  Short of the years the Colts got to the Super Bowl, the excitement around town for playoff time never got as big as it did for the Pacers when they were challenging year after year. 

2 hours ago, General_Hux said:

Clearly a lot of people on this forum who had no clue about Indianapolis sports prior to Peyton's glory years.  Peyton and the Colts weren't even the biggest deal in town until after Reggie retired.  I still give it to Peyton, but it's MUCH closer for people who've been in this town and with its teams longer than 15 years.  Short of the years the Colts got to the Super Bowl, the excitement around town for playoff time never got as big as it did for the Pacers when they were challenging year after year. 

They have clearly never been to a game at the old Market Square Arena at playoff time. It made the RCA dome seem like a library. I can remember being a kid and not even being able to hear my own cheers. It was the greatest environment I have ever been lucky enough to experience. Even the 72 win Bulls couldn't beat us in that building and it was because of the crowd. 

I think it really comes down to whether or not you're a Pacers fan and have fallowed their history. They have such a rich tradition with their ABA titles (just as legit as the NBA title back then), the telethon that saved the team, Reggie's heroics in the playoffs, I mean I could go on and on. The Colts have Manning and that's it. That is all they ever talk about when it comes to the Colts. The Pacers have a 50 year tradition. If the Malice at the Palace never happened, they are more popular than the Colts right now, even with their SB win. 

BOTT suggesting that we only care about college basketball just tells me he doesn't know what he's talking about and must either be really young, or not really a basketball fan. And that's fine. Suggesting Reggie Miller isn't the most popular Reggie in town is just disrespectful. 

I was also lucky enough to be in the building for this and it's the only time I remember an opposing team actually calling a timeout to bring the entire team to half court to salute a bitter division rival.

Absolutely one of the greatest moments in Indiana sports history, not a dry eye in the house and the only time I have ever cried at a sporting event. He also played a phenomenal game that night and went out like a champ. 

2 hours ago, General_Hux said:

It's true, the state has and will always be a basketball state. That's on all levels from high school to the Pacers and Fever. There's hardly a game in my hometown where it isn't a packed house, men's or women's mind you!

3 hours ago, General_Hux said:

If Reggie had played for the rockets late in his career, I doubt you would have seen people wearing Houstonapolis Racers jerseys.

i can't speak for the city of Indy, as I don't live there, but I don't believe it's even close around the state.

44 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

It's true, the state has and will always be a basketball state. That's on all levels from high school to the Pacers and Fever. There's hardly a game in my hometown where it isn't a packed house, men's or women's mind you!

It was a basketball state.  They killed that will class basketball.

On 2/7/2016 at 2:50 AM, crazycolt1 said:

It's harder to win a NBA title than a super bowl? I question that mentality.

i dont think there is a clear cut answer, but i can see a case for nba being harder.  82 game season and 7 game playoffs.  there are no flukes, best team overall pretty much always wins the title

small markets are at a much bigger disadvantage in the nba, so that could be considered as harder.  the spurs are the only small market team that has won since 1977.  (Oakland counts as big market right?)

36 minutes ago, BOTT said:

If Reggie had played for the rockets late in his career, I doubt you would have seen people wearing Houstonapolis Racers jerseys.

i can't speak for the city of Indy, as I don't live there, but I don't believe it's even close around the state.

No, they would've just still worn their Reggie Miller Pacers jersey and rooted for him to win a title in Houston, just like we do with Peyton. Its actually very disrespectful to your team to make a half broncos jersey and to me that shows the fickle nature of Colts fans and why we will never be a football state. A large segment of the fan base abandoned the team with Manning's departure and you would never see that with the Pacers.

Nobody is saying the city doesn't love Manning. I'm not even saying you aren't right in that Manning is more popular. After all he played every single game of his career in front of a huge TV audience and the popularity of the NFL is unparalleled. Miller played in a different time.

But for people to disrespect Reggie Miller and diminish his imortance to Indiana is not right.

He will always be a bigger icon to me because of his clutch performances and also because of his incredible competitive drive that was only matched by Michael Jordan. The guy had to wear leg braces as a child and worked his tail off to become one of the greatest big moment basketball players to ever lace them up. That's remarkable and the city loves him for his time here. He was every bit as generous, classy and great as Peyton Manning. He might of never been considered the best to play his position. But on the court he put the same kind of fear in his opponents Manning did, and that is the only thing that really matters.

You can tell by the respect the Pistons showed him in his final moments what they thought of him. 

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 4:06 PM, GoatBeard said:

Reggie Miller

It isn't about championships, its much harder to win an NBA title than a SB title, IMO. And a basketball player has much more of an impact on a game than single football player.

I think you contradicted your own statement here.   Since basketball players have more of an impact (offense and defense) they can much easily affect a championship run.

I love Reggie, but Manning made the NFL relevant in Indy.   In fact, the Colts probably would not be in Indy if not for him.  Do any of you remember how the Colts were the team most talked about to relocate?   Then Manning made the Colts a division winner every year.   Suddenly the Colts were getting prime time games.   All this while having almost no defense to speak of.  Except in 2006 with Sanders of course. 

5 hours ago, BOTT said:

GoatBeard summed it up more eloquently than I have, but if you didn't live here from the early 90's to the early 2000's, you can't ever know what it was like then.  

5 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

No, they would've just still worn their Reggie Miller Pacers jersey and rooted for him to win a title in Houston, just like we do with Peyton. Its actually very disrespectful to your team to make a half broncos jersey and to me that shows the fickle nature of Colts fans and why we will never be a football state. A large segment of the fan base abandoned the team with Manning's departure and you would never see that with the Pacers.

Nobody is saying the city doesn't love Manning. I'm not even saying you aren't right in that Manning is more popular. After all he played every single game of his career in front of a huge TV audience and the popularity of the NFL is unparalleled. Miller played in a different time.

But for people to disrespect Reggie Miller and diminish his imortance to Indiana is not right.

He will always be a bigger icon to me because of his clutch performances and also because of his incredible competitive drive that was only matched by Michael Jordan. The guy had to wear leg braces as a child and worked his tail off to become one of the greatest big moment basketball players to ever lace them up. That's remarkable and the city loves him for his time here. He was every bit as generous, classy and great as Peyton Manning. He might of never been considered the best to play his position. But on the court he put the same kind of fear in his opponents Manning did, and that is the only thing that really matters.

You can tell by the respect the Pistons showed him in his final moments what they thought of him. 

I stopped reading after the first paragraph because, no offense, it was silly.  A large segment of the fan base did not abandon the team.

yeah, pacers fans aren't fickle......

1 hour ago, General_Hux said:

GoatBeard summed it up more eloquently than I have, but if you didn't live here from the early 90's to the early 2000's, you can't ever know what it was like then.  

Yes, you two are the only ones that lived though it.

They have clearly never been to a game at the old Market Square Arena at playoff time. It made the RCA dome seem like a library. I can remember being a kid and not even being able to hear my own cheers. It was the greatest environment I have ever been lucky enough to experience. Even the 72 win Bulls couldn't beat us in that building and it was because of the crowd. 

I think it really comes down to whether or not you're a Pacers fan and have fallowed their history. They have such a rich tradition with their ABA titles (just as legit as the NBA title back then), the telethon that saved the team, Reggie's heroics in the playoffs, I mean I could go on and on. The Colts have Manning and that's it. That is all they ever talk about when it comes to the Colts. The Pacers have a 50 year tradition. If the Malice at the Palace never happened, they are more popular than the Colts right now, even with their SB win. 

BOTT suggesting that we only care about college basketball just tells me he doesn't know what he's talking about and must either be really young, or not really a basketball fan. And that's fine. Suggesting Reggie Miller isn't the most popular Reggie in town is just disrespectful. 

I was also lucky enough to be in the building for this and it's the only time I remember an opposing team actually calling a timeout to bring the entire team to half court to salute a bitter division rival.

Absolutely one of the greatest moments in Indiana sports history, not a dry eye in the house and the only time I have ever cried at a sporting event. He also played a phenomenal game that night and went out like a champ. 

If you were excited about these years you should have seen it when the Pacers won three ABA titles. There is a reason Slick is a legend.

Except that's not what BOTT said.

18 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

You really seem to think you know a lot about a town you don't live in. Please tell me more. This was a question for locals about our city, so your opinion isnt worth a whole lot on this subject, no offense. 

IDC if you read my posts and it definitely doesn't warrant an announcement.

Sorry, I didn't see where the OP said for locals only.

ok, go back to your riveting argument of "you don't know what you are talking about because you disagree with me"