1. 1. Who is more of a icon in indy

• Peyton manning
    • Reggie miller

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reggie Miller

It isn't about championships, its much harder to win an NBA title than a SB title, IMO. And a basketball player has much more of an impact on a game than single football player.

Reggie was a big game, big moment player.

I'm not knocking Peyton, but I don't think he is nearly as good as Reggie was in the clutch. The year we won the SB, Bob Sanders was our MVP, not Peyton, IMO.

7 minutes ago, GoatBeard said:

Reggie Miller

It isn't about championships, its much harder to win an NBA title than a SB title, IMO. And a basketball player has much more of an impact on a game than single football player.

I'm not knocking Peyton, but I don't think he is nearly as good as Reggie was in the clutch. The year we won the SB, Bob Sanders was our MVP, not Peyton, IMO.

I disagree. If that was the case than the same teams wouldn't win it for multiple years in a row. Plus they play multiple games to decide the outcome. 

The question was who is a bigger legacy to this city. Manning brought the city a championship. Period. 

Just now, Detectacon said:

I disagree. If that was the case than the same teams wouldn't win it for multiple years in a row. Plus they play multiple games to decide the outcome. 

The he question was who is a bigger legacy to this city. Manning brought the city a championship. Period. 

1 hour ago, Detectacon said:

The question was who is a bigger legacy to this city. Manning brought the city a championship. Period. 

Yes he HELPED bring a title to the city. And people appreciated it so much, they now complain he didn't win more. He also didn't play particularly well in those playoffs and anybody who is objective about it realizes Bob Sanders was at the very least, just as important as Manning. So I don't give him all the credit, especially considering he only plays one side of the ball. Other than the title those Pacers teams were the equivalent to the Colts in terms of yearly success, in a basketball crazed state.  

The same teams win in basketball the same as football, so I'm not sure what that has to do with anything. 

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

Ummmmm Larry Bird? Outside of sports, James Dean???? I am sure I am missing many but this is right off the top of my head?

Outside of sports it's probably that pedophile from Gary....unfortunately.

Larry Birds greatest moments happened in Boston. I would agree with those sentiments if he played here. 

So yes Reggie is the most iconic basketball player to ever play in Indiana. He has more great moments than any other athlete we have ever had. People will talk about 8 points in 9 seconds 100 years from now. Its one of the most iconic moments from the entire history of the NBA.

Another reason I think of Reggie being more iconic is that this is a basketball state, always has been and always will be. 12 of the top 13 largest high school gymnasiums in the country are located in the small state of Indiana. Think about how crazy that is. We filled up the RCA dome to watch Damon Bailey in a high school game. The HS title games for football barely draw a crowd.

Nothing against Peyton at all. He has done a lot for the sport of football in Indiana and I firmly believe the team would be in LA without him. But I don't think he will ever have the status Reggie has here because of the sport he played. We just aren't into football the way we are basketball. 

I voted Reggie.

Yes Peyton is the GOAT to ever play football, he brought the city a championship and a shiny new stadium.

However, the things Reggie did against several of the greatest players in NBA history is down right amazing. Plus, in the 90s, the Pacers were all the talk in this state. Combine that with the fact that at first, people here were threatening to kill Donnie Walsh in 87 when he drafted Reggie, who the fans didn't want and then Reggie won their hearts and minds with dazzling performance after performance.  Reggie won more games single handedly than Peyton. When Reggie walked into MSA, all you heard was R E G G I E. You didn't hear cheers. You heard his name. He was the Pacers. The Reggie chant that Reggie Wayne got was carried over from the Miller days.

I was there for the 8 points, 11 seconds against the Knicks in 95 in NY. Man that was awesome.

Reggie retired. Pacers went to crap and have never been back. They were crap prior to 87, they have been crap since 2004. Peyton went to Denver, Colts got Luck and away we went. 

However, it's truly a toss up in reality. But my vote is Reggie.

There's similarities here as well as distinct differences. Both elevated previously unsuccessful teams into the spotlight as contenders. Neither of them had off-the-field issues and were/are by all accounts wonderful, generous people.

But.... in sports terms, (fair or not) one developed a rep as a choker and the other..... well he did not. Quite the exact opposite really.

The fact that anyone reading this knows exactly who i'm referring to with the previous sentence should highlight how profound this difference is. 

The question is who is more of an icon in Indy, yet people are just expressing whom they think is better at their careers... Isn't that irrelavent? 

Manning is on another team and is probably more of an NFL icon than anything....

Reggie Miller played for no other team...

When one thinks of Reggie Miller, wouldn't they automatically think of Indy? 

I'm sure the thought of Manning now conjures up images of more than just Indy... Like Denver, Papa Johns and Nation Wide...

32 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

The question is who is more of an icon in Indy, yet people are just expressing whom they think is better at their careers... Isn't that irrelavent? 

Manning is on another team and is probably more of an NFL icon than anything....

Reggie Miller played for no other team...

When one thinks of Reggie Miller, wouldn't they automatically think of Indy? 

I'm sure the thought of Manning now conjures up images of more than just Indy... Like Denver, Papa Johns and Nation Wide...

Career wise it's Peyton. Effect on the city it's Peyton. Most of all how many parents in Indiana named their kids after Reggie? How many after Peyton? Let's be real Peyton helped build a wing to the children's hospital, helped bring a championship to the city and after the 2004 season If I'm not mistaken Peyton became the most popular baby name in the state not only for boys but even many girls too. I don't even consider Reggie the best basketball player that the state has ever seen. He was my favorite Pacer of all time but when Peyton comes back not only will his name be in the ring of honor but I predict a statue outside the stadium honestly. Indiana has such a rich basketball history one player can't even be the icon of the sport in this state...it's too big...Reggie is simply a wonderful chapter in an amazing book. The book of football in this state didn't even begin until Peyton came along. Don't get me wrong...I loved those Harbaugh and Faulk teams but I couldn't even watch most games as they were blacked out for many years...and certainly the next chapter in the book has begun...but the majority of what football means to Indiana is defined by the peyton years. Not only was he the Qb this state needed to bring football to the citizens of our state Peyton was the man that represented our state so well with his class, constant hard work, and drive for excellence. He left us with that classy press conference stating he will always be our QB and the way he represented and conducted himself while here on and off the field we will always be proud of his time here. Reggie gave us many great memories...but I argue Peyton took a basketball state and turned it into a Colts state. Just my humble opinion.

As much as I love Reggie when someone thinks of Reggie....honestly they think....yeah...the brother of the greatest female basketball players of all time...sorry it's the truth. He will always be Cheryl's lil bro to me.

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

I voted Reggie.

Yes Peyton is the GOAT to ever play football, he brought the city a championship and a shiny new stadium.

However, the things Reggie did against several of the greatest players in NBA history is down right amazing. Plus, in the 90s, the Pacers were all the talk in this state. Combine that with the fact that at first, people here were threatening to kill Donnie Walsh in 87 when he drafted Reggie, who the fans didn't want and then Reggie won their hearts and minds with dazzling performance after performance.  Reggie won more games single handedly than Peyton. When Reggie walked into MSA, all you heard was R E G G I E. You didn't hear cheers. You heard his name. He was the Pacers. The Reggie chant that Reggie Wayne got was carried over from the Miller days.

I was there for the 8 points, 11 seconds against the Knicks in 95 in NY. Man that was awesome.

Reggie retired. Pacers went to crap and have never been back. They were crap prior to 87, they have been crap since 2004. Peyton went to Denver, Colts got Luck and away we went. 

You overlooked the playoffs against the Miami Heat.

8 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Reggie Miller

The oline and running game were the MVPs of that playoff run.  The Colts would get the ball and hold 7 minutes at a time, especially vs the Ravens and Bears.  Honestly Peyton win that ring by being a game manager.  Then the one half he had to be great he was.  While the defense, the line, and the running backs get the credit they don't win that Super Bowl without that second half vs. New England from Peyton and it's important not to over look it.  

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

I voted Reggie.

They haven't been crap since then. They have a new superstar in Paul George who I feel like will be a better player than Reggie when it's all said and done

10 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Reggie Miller

Super Bowl is the hardest title to win in Sports.

Even the MLB title is harder than the NBA.

The NBA title?      Hard,  but not THAT hard.......

I'm not sure why you would think the NBA title is the hardest?     Get about three great players and a good cast of supporting players and you've got a decent shot at winning it all....

14 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Super Bowl is the hardest title to win in Sports.

Even the MLB title is harder than the NBA.

The NBA title?      Hard,  but not THAT hard.......

I'm not sure why you would think the NBA title is the hardest?     Get about three great players and a good cast of supporting players and you've got a decent shot at winning it all....

I agree the NBA championship is the easiest to win. NBA teams have  5 starters to manage. The NFL has 53 men with 22 starters. Then there is the injury factor with the physical violence of the NFL. Just the managing the amount of players in the NFL and MLB makes them both harder than the NBA. Winning a championship in Hockey is harder than the NBA too.

10 hours ago, GoatBeard said:

Reggie Miller

It's harder to win a NBA title than a super bowl? I question that mentality.