Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2016 Hall-of-Famers

oldunclemark

There are many finalists deserving of induction this year.  Favre is a lock. Marvin and Owens should be too. I can see the voters selecting only one WR -- perhaps they will make Owens wait a year so that he is not among the "first-ballot Hall of Famers". I love Tony Dungy, but I cannot see it this year. I would be thrilled though. I love John Lynch too but I don't see that either.

My predictions:

Favre

Marvin Harrison -- it would be a farce if he does not get in

Orlando Pace

Kurt Warner

Kevin Greene -- he's waited long enough

Ken Stabler (going out on a limb on the last two) 

Terrell Owens should be in. I don't feel good keeping him out.

2 hours ago, NFLfan said:

There are many finalists deserving of induction this year.  Favre is a lock. Marvin and Owens should be too. I can see the voters selecting only one WR -- perhaps they will make Owens wait a year so that he is not among the "first-ballot Hall of Famers". I love Tony Dungy, but I cannot see it this year. I would be thrilled though. I love John Lynch too but I don't see that either.

My predictions:

Favre

Marvin Harrison -- it would be a farce if he does not get in

Orlando Pace

Kurt Warner

Kevin Greene -- he's waited long enough

Ken Stabler (going out on a limb on the last two) 

Terrell Owens should be in. I don't feel good keeping him out.

Marvin Harrison should get in this go around. Here's a quote from Fox 59 Indianapolis' Mike Chappell 2-5-16 report ... Quoting Jerry Rice with regards to Marvin Harrison getting into the HOF ...

"I don't know how they decide, but without a doubt he [Harrison] should be in the HOF. He really deserves to be in the HOF."

Marvin Harrison career : 

1,102 receptions - #3 in NFL history

128 TDs - #5 in NFL history

14,580 yards - #7 in NFL history

As a personal side note, if he's not inducted this go around, then there's something extremely wrong with the voters. And, the outcry would be HUGE IMO if not inducted.

4 hours ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Brett is a lock, quite possibly unanimous.

I also expect to see Marvin and Tony both get in this year.

Probably Kurt Warner too.   So if two QB's can go in at the same time,  why not two WR's..??

Put Terrell Owens in too.

In the past 8-10 years, there have been many WRs who seemed to be first or second ballot Hall of Famers but almost all had to wait longer. Some waited 6 or more years (Tim Brown, Art Monk, Andre Reed).  Despite all being deserving of induction into the Hall, the voters selected only one receiver per year.  I thought Marvin Harrison should have gotten in last year. They elected Tim Brown instead. 

Hopefully the voters will elect both Harrison and Owens this year. They both deserve it.

17 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

In the past 8-10 years, there have been many WRs who seemed to be first or second ballot Hall of Famers but almost all had to wait longer. Some waited 6 or more years (Tim Brown, Art Monk, Andre Reed).  Despite all being deserving of induction into the Hall, the voters selected only one receiver per year.  I thought Marvin Harrison should have gotten in last year. They elected Tim Brown instead. 

Hopefully the voters will elect both Harrison and Owens this year. They both deserve it.

Owens need his own section. We could call it the drama diva bust room. haha All kidding aside Harrison wasn't a first time ballet so I am not too sure about Owens.

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Owens need his own section. We could call it the drama diva bust room. haha All kidding aside Harrison wasn't a first time ballet so I am not too sure about Owens.

I wrote in my first post here that I did not think Owens would make it this year because I believe the voters may not want him to be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.  So, I think Harrison will get in this year and Owens will wait another year. But Owens should be in. I would not want him on my team because of the distractions, but the guy was a top player in the NFL. There is no doubt about that. 

17 minutes ago, MTC said:

My predictions:

Brett Favre (only lock)

Marvin Harrison

Tony Dungy

Orlando Pace

John Lynch

I would like that Hall of Fame class a lot. Coach Dungy going in with two players who played for him for many years. He would appreciate that. He and Lynch are very close.

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

Harrison, like Micheal Irvin, should have been a first ballot HOF'er.

I agree with this statement.  I was so upset when he didn't make it the first year,  Then last year was just ludicrous for him to not get in.   

44 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Dungy isn't a HOF'er IMO.

I agree with Zak Keefer below. I would add that Coach Dungy had only one losing season in his head coaching career (his first year in TB). I don't know if you are old enough to remember Tampa Bay before Coach Dungy. They were a laughingstock. They were in the NFC Central with MN, GB, CHI, & Detroit. I always looked forward to playing TB.  I think one year he will be elected. Read on:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/02/05/tony-dungy-hall-famer/79872280/

Dungy’s candidacy speaks for itself. He coached 13 NFL seasons; his teams made the playoffs 11 times. In their 20 years of existence before Dungy took over, the Buccaneers reached eight wins all of twice; in his six seasons, they did so five times. He arrived in Indianapolis in 2002 and lifted the Colts from disappointment to dominance: They won 12 or more games in six straight seasons (2003-08), a feat unrivaled until Bill Belichick and the Patriots matched them this year.

His .668 winning percentage is ninth among NFL coaches with a minimum of 100 games. It’s higher than the winning percentages of Belichick, Bill Cowher, Joe Gibbs and Bill Walsh. Seven of the eight coaches with higher winning percentages are Hall of Famers, their names synonymous with their sport: John Madden, Vince Lombardi, George Allen, Ray Flaherty, George Halas, Don Shula and Paul Brown.

Dungy’s teams reached the playoffs 10 straight seasons – no other coach can say the same 

Why no Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt? AT LEAST Isaac Bruce. That guy in his prime, was one of the best wide receivers ever. 

I swear, if the Greatest Show On Turf Rams managed to get Ring #2, without question; half that team would be in the Hall in the near future. 

People that watched the old Rams know that Holt and Bruce were lethal. I speak for every Saints fan of the old NFC West days when we had to deal with this....

2 minutes ago, Bogie said:

Why no Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt? AT LEAST Isaac Bruce. That guy in his prime, was one of the best wide receivers ever. 

I swear, if the Greatest Show On Turf Rams managed to get Ring #2, without question; half that team would be in the Hall in the near future. 

People that watched the old Rams know that Holt and Bruce were lethal. I speak for every Saints fan of the old NFC West days when we had to deal with this....

I agree with you on Issac Bruce. Would of thought he made the cut to 15. I am not sure why NFL HOF voters don't value WR's that much. It seems like they only want at least one in every year.

5 minutes ago, Mrs. Misunderstood said:

Very happy for Marvin.  My 2nd favorite player of All Time.

May have to make a trip to Canton in August. :)

I'm thinking about that too. Especially since two Colt greats are in it. 

43 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I agree with Zak Keefer below. I would add that Coach Dungy had only one losing season in his head coaching career (his first year in TB). I don't know if you are old enough to remember Tampa Bay before Coach Dungy. They were a laughingstock. They were in the NFC Central with MN, GB, CHI, & Detroit. I always looked forward to playing TB.  I think one year he will be elected. Read on:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/02/05/tony-dungy-hall-famer/79872280/

Dungy’s candidacy speaks for itself. He coached 13 NFL seasons; his teams made the playoffs 11 times. In their 20 years of existence before Dungy took over, the Buccaneers reached eight wins all of twice; in his six seasons, they did so five times. He arrived in Indianapolis in 2002 and lifted the Colts from disappointment to dominance: They won 12 or more games in six straight seasons (2003-08), a feat unrivaled until Bill Belichick and the Patriots matched them this year.

His .668 winning percentage is ninth among NFL coaches with a minimum of 100 games. It’s higher than the winning percentages of Belichick, Bill Cowher, Joe Gibbs and Bill Walsh. Seven of the eight coaches with higher winning percentages are Hall of Famers, their names synonymous with their sport: John Madden, Vince Lombardi, George Allen, Ray Flaherty, George Halas, Don Shula and Paul Brown.

Dungy’s teams reached the playoffs 10 straight seasons – no other coach can say the same 

I'm aware.  Still not a HOF'er.

9 hours ago, Live and let live said:

Stabler was way over due. The snake was a special leader....

If you have to wait that long you probably shouldn`t be inducted! Like I said in a different post, its turned into the Hall of very Good. 30 more INT than career TD passes doesn`t seem HOF worthy. And I am aware there are others like Namath with similar stats in. They couldn`t hold J. Unitas jock either.

56 minutes ago, MPStack said:

If you have to wait that long you probably shouldn`t be inducted! Like I said in a different post, its turned into the Hall of very Good. 30 more INT than career TD passes doesn`t seem HOF worthy. And I am aware there are others like Namath with similar stats in. They couldn`t hold J. Unitas jock either.

Really? I guess Keven Green shouldn't have been voted in? There are quite a few HOF members who waited a very long time to get in. So by your comment Favre don't deserve to be in the HOF according to his high rate of interceptions? It don't seem right to hand pick the stat that you want without looking at the whole body of work.

48 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Really? I guess Keven Green shouldn't have been voted in? There are quite a few HOF members who waited a very long time to get in. So by your comment Favre don't deserve to be in the HOF according to his high rate of interceptions? It don't seem right to hand pick the stat that you want without looking at the whole body of work.

the farve comparison is silly. Go back and read what he said.