Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Under the Radar Profile: Karl Joseph, FS WVU

With guys like Superman and Dustin working hard doing write ups on some of the big name prospects, I thought I'd start a daily (maybe more than that) write up on some of the more unknown guys who you may not have heard of or no a lot about.

Unlike Superman and Dustin though I won't do a full breakdown with grades but rather just a short write-up with strengths and weaknesses, maybe a pro comp.

But today's prospect is Karl Joseph, FS out of WVU

Size: Listed at 5'11, 197

Games Watched: vs Georgia Southern, Maryland both in 2015

Strengths: Joseph is a small "ball hawk" safety that has top tier play recognition skills. In the games I watched he was never not where he was supposed to be or really made a bad read except for once, and it was on a run play. He also has terrific coverage skills and can match up man to man. Against Georgia Southern he had 3 picks, one of which he came from the middle of the field to the sideline (the guy wasn't even his assignment) because he read the QB. Against Maryland he was one on one with a WR and high pointed the ball from him. He shows excellent speed and can go sideline to sideline with ease. Willing tackler.

Weaknesses: He's a little light at the listed 197 and it shows. While he's a willing tackler and will play the run, his technique is sloppy. He'll often get "just enough " of a guy to trip him up but he usually charges in for the big hit. Receivers will be bigger in the NFL and he won't be able to get away with it. Could also use work closing in on ball carriers. Needs to learn to consistently wrap up.

Pro-Comp: A slightly bigger Tyran Mathieu

Like Mathieu, Joseph is a guy that you mainly put in coverage and don't expect to be a force in the run game. Like the honey badger, you can also feel comfortable leaving him in zone as a FS/nickel safety, but also can play nickel corner and even outside corner occasionally.

Projection:He can rotate in as a nickel DB in exotic packages early on, but after a year he can probably start as a FS. He's a 3rd-4th round pick only because injuries had him miss a couple games. Nothing chronic though.

3 hours ago, SevaColt said:

1st rounder before injury. Plain and simple best safety in the draft. An absolute terror for any ball carrier. Will get fined often.

If you consider Jalen Ramsey a CB, then yeah he's the best FS I've seen from this class. Jeremy Cash might be the best SS prospect.

But yeah he might get penalized a few times because he plays very aggressive.

1 hour ago, PeterBowman said:

I like....and always seems to be around the ball and great play recognition.....any idea what round he's being suggested to?

3rd round because of injuries this season. The first safeties will come off the board in the middle of the 2nd round, and it'll be guys like Cash and Bell. Maybe Kearse.  

But the earliest he could go is late 2nd IMO. Lowest is 4th if he doesn't test well.

Nice write up. I like Joseph a lot too. It'd be a steal if we got him in the 3rd. IMO he's actually good enough in coverage to be a full time nickel corner in the NFL IMO. But I think he's going to make a very good safety, and you're right. Mathieu is the best comparison for him too IMO.

The safety class in this year's draft is better than in recent years. Daniel Jeremiah at NFL network has Joseph going #31 to the Panthers I think. I'd like to come out of the first 4 rounds with a LB, OL, S, and RB. I'd take Joseph in the 3rd if he's there. I've liked the kid since last year.

2 hours ago, Slick12 said:

Looks good. I would like us to get younger at safety, and I think your projection looks spot on. Let Mike Adams bring him along, and I think him and Geathers would make a good duo.

He and Geathers would be a dominant duo IMO. And we need to go back to a traditional FS, SS too. Joseph would give us that ball hawking center fielder that great defenses need, while Geathers would be our enforcer and play the run well. And both are violent hitters so that's the icing on the cake for me.

2 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

He and Geathers would be a dominant duo IMO. And we need to go back to a traditional FS, SS too. Joseph would give us that ball hawking center fielder that great defenses need, while Geathers would be our enforcer and play the run well. And both are violent hitters so that's the icing on the cake for me.

I agree I don't like the interchangeable safety approach. I also love a hard hitter at safety, so two would be great.

2 hours ago, Slick12 said:

I agree I don't like the interchangeable safety approach. I also love a hard hitter at safety, so two would be great.

I'm hoping Pagano's comments about scheming differently means that the interchangeable safety system is done. It never worked IMO.

6 hours ago, Surge89 said:

I highly doubt there's even a 1% chance he will be in the 3rd round.  And less than 50% that he's there past 15 in the 2nd.

We'll see. It's a strong safety class and I don't think 5 safeties are going in the 2nd round just because they all have 2nd round grades.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

We'll see. It's a strong safety class and I don't think 5 safeties are going in the 2nd round just because they all have 2nd round grades.

I think you'll be surprised that a safety or 2 goes in the first.

Clubs like the Steelers value safeties over corners. (Just an example but also a potential landing spot for a safety).

9 minutes ago, Surge89 said:

I think you'll be surprised that a safety or 2 goes in the first.

Clubs like the Steelers value safeties over corners. (Just an example but also a potential landing spot for a safety).

I'm not sure which safety would have a first round grade, or even a grade high enough that taking him in the first would be justifiable. Maybe Cash could creep into the first to a team like the Panthers at the end of the first.

He wouldn't be an under the radar prospect if it wasn't for his injury. He is easily the best safety prospect in this draft, but should be pushed down teams boards due to injury. He has been a personal favorite of mine for a couple years now. He is worth trading back into the bottom on the 2nd to make sure you get him.

6 hours ago, SDakColts said:

He wouldn't be an under the radar prospect if it wasn't for his injury. He is easily the best safety prospect in this draft, but should be pushed down teams boards due to injury. He has been a personal favorite of mine for a couple years now. He is worth trading back into the bottom on the 2nd to make sure you get him.

I need to watch Darian Thompson, but so far he has the best coverage ability of any safety. But most of the safeties strike me as SSs. Cash, Kearse, Bell, all seem like box defenders IMO. I think he's the best true FS prospect since Earl Thomas.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I need to watch Darian Thompson, but so far he has the best coverage ability of any safety. But most of the safeties strike me as SSs. Cash, Kearse, Bell, all seem like box defenders IMO. I think he's the best true FS prospect since Earl Thomas.

I agree 100% with that statement. Thompson IMO is a middle of the field defender mostly, but he can cover man to man also, and he is a ball hawk. IMO it is hard to pick between Thompson and Cash who my 2nd and 3rd favorite safety is respectively. While watching Thompson and Boise State don't be surprised if a little CB Donte Deayon jumps off the tape. He is small being only 5' 9" 155 pounds, but he plays aggressive and is also a ball hawk. Between Thompson and Deayon they combined for 36 interceptions Thompson (19) Deayon (17). 

Couple things, nothing big, because I mostly agree with your synopsis.  First, the INT against Maryland was against the RB coming out of the backfield.  Doesn't negate the great play, just a correction.  Second, I agree with you on his sloppy tackline.  A lot of it has to do with his over-pursuing the ball carrier.  Not the hardest technique deficiency to improve on - but he could certainly be better about both tackling and his pursuit angles.  He really does have great play diagnosis and is rangy to boot.  Could have better hip control when turning and covering his man because it often keeps him from shadowing his man step-for-step.  Finally, I don't think he does a great job getting off blocks when he plays up on the line (which is a pretty consistent issue with most college safeties, I think), so he'll need to make better use of his hands at the next level.