Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

7 minutes ago, jim scheurich said:

I just read rumors of irsay wanting to draft defense. drafted offense hard last year, and forgot about the o-line. I wouldn't forget about it 2 yrs. in a row.

Irsay should address the OL via free agency. OG Jeff Allen, OG Alex Boone are options here.

The draft should be defense focused since they are old on D. Especially at LB.

Btw, Indy did draft defense last year with Henry Anderson, Clayton Geathers, and David Parry. None are game wreckers though so that's what Indy needs.

2 minutes ago, jim scheurich said:

they had 2 rookies playing line last year, the d isn't that old, save mathis.

D'Qwell Jackson, Robert Mathis, Mike Adams, Erik Walden, Jerrell Freeman, Dwight Lowery, and Kendall Langford are all 30 or older at the start of the season.

A youth infusion of talent is needed.

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

D'Qwell Jackson, Robert Mathis, Mike Adams, Erik Walden, Jerrell Freeman, Dwight Lowery, and Kendall Langford are all 30 or older at the start of the season.

A youth infusion of talent is needed.

most of the time what you gain in energy is lost in inexperience, I will say defense is where you want your energy.

1 hour ago, jim scheurich said:

I just read rumors of irsay wanting to draft defense. drafted offense hard last year, and forgot about the o-line. I wouldn't forget about it 2 yrs. in a row.

"Drafted offense hard last year" umm what? Don't forget they drafted an tackle who cam along nicely. Did you even pay attention to the draft last year or know anyone from the draft besides dorsett?

We are old on defense, for sure, but I think that Grigson actually did a good job drafting on that side of the ball last year. 

I wouldn't be shocked to see Parry, Anderson (when he gets healthy), and Geathers (depending in if we 're-sign Lowery) all start next year. Jury is out on Smith, still... Add Dorsett and Good on the offense and there is a decent chance that 5 starters were drafted last year... 

That's a successful draft, imo. I feel comfortable with the idea of building mainly through the draft in the future. Not that I don't think that we shouldn't sign any FAs or anything, though. 

I would hardly say we drafted offense hard last year. We had 8 picks and took 3 offensive players. We got 2 starters on the d-line, a future starting safety, and a corner with a lot of potential. The only offensive players we drafted were our probable WR3, a RB that everyone here liked at the time, and a contender for the starting RT spot. All in all, about as successful as you can be in a single draft.

1 hour ago, jim scheurich said:

Jim......   of the Colts first 5 draft picks,   one went to offense.    Dorsett in the first round.

But the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th picks went to defense.     That's Smith, Anderson, Geathers, and Parry.

That's 4 out of 5.

Then, after taking Josh Robinson in the 6th,  we took another defensive player, Herrera with the next pick.

That's 5 ut of 7 before we closed with Good on the OL.

So, we did NOT draft offense hard last year.     Not at all.      Sorry.

Oh, and as a new member, a belated welcome to the website....    hope you enjoy it....      :thmup:

2 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Irsay should address the OL via free agency. OG Jeff Allen, OG Alex Boone are options here.

Btw, Indy did draft defense last year with Henry Anderson, Clayton Geathers, and David Parry. None are game wreckers though so that's what Indy needs.

Anderson was looking to be a possibie game wrecker!!! Dude was on a tear.

10 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I disagree, Anderson definitely has the potential to be a game wrecker in the future considering what he was doing as a rookie. His injury is no longer a killer these days either. He'll be back to himself by mid season next year.

We do need a hell of a lot of added defensive talent though, especially at CB (opposite Davis) and LB (all positions)

Yeah I read the same article. Although it's mostly speculation, I think Irsay hinted at this during the announcement that Pagano and Grigson were staying. That was always Grigson's weakness IMO, over spending for past their prime FA's and not doing enough in the draft.

But they've got a decent enough amount of capital to fix that in this draft. ILB and OLB has to get younger IMO. Jackson and Freeman are both 30 or older, and at OLB the same is true for Mathis, Walden, and Cole. Basically the entire LB core is old and needs to be upgraded.

Thats why my bold prediction was that the Colts draft 2 or more LBs in this draft.

20 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I read the same article. Although it's mostly speculation, I think Irsay hinted at this during the announcement that Pagano and Grigson were staying. That was always Grigson's weakness IMO, over spending for past their prime FA's and not doing enough in the draft.

But they've got a decent enough amount of capital to fix that in this draft. ILB and OLB has to get younger IMO. Jackson and Freeman are both 30 or older, and at OLB the same is true for Mathis, Walden, and Cole. Basically the entire LB core is old and needs to be upgraded.

Thats why my bold prediction was that the Colts draft 2 or more LBs in this draft.

That's not such a bold claim, I could easily see 2 LB's being drafted, at least one rushing OLB and an ILB. I wouldnt be surprised if it was 3 either. I get your point though, emphasis is heavily on the D and that core unit.

20 hours ago, jim scheurich said:

Dear God...

You are new and I have seen some of your efforts so far.  Unimpressed.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Jim......   of the Colts first 5 draft picks,   one went to offense.    Dorsett in the first round.

But the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th picks went to defense.     That's Smith, Anderson, Geathers, and Parry.

That's 4 out of 5.

Then, after taking Josh Robinson in the 6th,  we took another defensive player, Herrera with the next pick.

That's 5 ut of 7 before we closed with Good on the OL.

So, we did NOT draft offense hard last year.     Not at all.      Sorry.

Oh, and as a new member, a belated welcome to the website....    hope you enjoy it....      :thmup:

Go easy on him, he's new (sarcasm) By the way welcome to the Site Jim.

20 hours ago, twfish said:

"Drafted offense hard last year" umm what? Don't forget they drafted an tackle who cam along nicely. Did you even pay attention to the draft last year or know anyone from the draft besides dorsett?

I miss wrote when I said they drafted hard on offense, no I don't follow all the draft picks, except during the draft. what I was implying was 1st round receiver, gore running back Johnson receiver, looked like focus on offense. ive been complaining about the line for years. must just be me.

5 minutes ago, jim scheurich said:

I miss wrote when I said they drafted hard on offense, no I don't follow all the draft picks, except during the draft. what I was implying was 1st round receiver, gore running back Johnson receiver, looked like focus on offense. ive been complaining about the line for years. must just be me.

No worries....

If we all had just $1 for each time we each misspoke, then we'd all be able to retire early and live on easy street!

Seriously!

We've all had out moments.....  

We just own it,  and then move on!

Again,  welcome to the website.......

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

No worries....

If we all had just $1 for each time we each misspoke, then we'd all be able to retire early and live on easy street!

Seriously!

We've all had out moments.....  

We just own it,  and then move on!

Again,  welcome to the website.......

thanks!

On 2/5/2016 at 7:37 PM, BProland85 said:

I disagree. Anderson was leading the league in negative plays per game prior to going down hurt.

Parry played very well for a rookie and got some big plays. With Anderson back, they'll bee good to go

My hopes are we sign a good #2 cb and a rg. Proven players that can contribute for at least the duration of their contracts baring unforeseen events. Then I'd hope we go after a center and rt in rounds 3 and 4. I would love a top rush olb in the first and even another in the second or maybe a ilb who can cover in the second. Again everything changes come Free Agency and how the draft unfolds. But I think the three main areas we need to focus on this off season would be pass rush, o line, and lastly the secondary. 2 good players in FA and we can build through the draft. A couple of good players and a healthy Luck could make us contenders again.

On 2/7/2016 at 2:37 AM, csmopar said:

I disagree. Anderson was leading the league in negative plays per game prior to going down hurt.

Parry played very well for a rookie and got some big plays. With Anderson back, they'll bee good to go

Totally agree with you.

People underrate Parry already I think. Of course he is going to look better when Anderson was in, because they both know each others game so well, both being in help each other play better. He'd also look worse once Anderson went out because.... well simply put Anderson was our best D-line player last season and once he goes out everyone else is going to look a little worse.

Parry might not be a "game wrecker" like the previous guy said, but playing the way he did as a rookie, it's safe to say he can be pretty darned good....

On 2/6/2016 at 8:26 PM, SupermanLuck12 said:

Draft heavy in defense.

Go after proven offensive lineman during free agency.

I think we need to draft a Center because getting a Center in FA will cost far too much. The open market always drives the cost of good Centers up way beyond their real value ... I'd be ok getting a RG in FA though.

So long as a Center is drafted somewhere in the 1st three rounds and we go defensive the rest of the way I'm happy...

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:20 AM, a06cc said:

It's going to be exciting to see what we do. I'll be happy with a ready to start guy at 18. There shouldn't be any wrong way to go at the spot. Taylor Decker looks good. A sleeper guy is Yannick Ngakoue.

Yeah, I really like Ngakoue too. I'm all for drafting 2 pass rushers. Ngawkoue in the 4th would be awesome after getting a guy like Spence in the 1st.

Who wouldn't take this draft?

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 18: Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Florida (A)
Round 2 Pick 17: Kenny Clark, DT, UCLA (A)
Round 3 Pick 19: Jordan Howard, RB, Indiana (A)
Round 4 Pick 18: Joe Haeg, OT, North Dakota State (A-)
Round 5 Pick 16: James Cowser, DE/OLB, Southern Utah (A-)
Round 7 Pick 18: Briean Boddy-Calhoun, CB, Minnesota (A+)