Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Raiders, Houston to play in Mexico

oldunclemark

1 hour ago, oldunclemark said:

Next season. It will be an Oakland home game.

Same time zone as the west coast, right?  I like it.

A Mexican NFL team is more practical than a London team....and I've heard they already watch the NFL in Mexico in good numbers now

Mexico city is on central time.   California is 2 hours behind.

And Europe watches the nfl in pretty big numbers already as well

2 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Next season. It will be an Oakland home game.

Same time zone as the west coast, right?  I like it.

A Mexican NFL team is more practical than a London team....and I've heard they already watch the NFL in Mexico in good numbers now

London is coming first, this is just the beginning of expansion in to Mexico as well.

There are many problems about having a team in Mexico City( i have lived all my life here) first is economy( even the soccer clubs don't fill all the seats at their stadiums), then elevation 7,380 ft that's even higher than Denver, and many more.
I think an expansion isn't as possible as many would think, i think a couple of games each season would be terrific.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

God I love globalism.  Can we just save the elementary kids the time it takes to learn world geography and just erase every border we have on the planet right now?

I guess if it makes us all a few bucks richer its worth it huh?

Why are you cynical about the idea of a united world?

39 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Why are you cynical about the idea of a united world?

There will never be such a thing because not everybody is interested in uniting.  Its why borders are established in the first place.  Unless you just want to be rude and admit that  have-nots are always interested in uniting with the haves

I just think its funny when a self-proclaimed Jewish guy from NY, Mike Greenberg, tries to say the "Deportes" part of ESPN Deportes with a phony Americanized Spanish accent.  And stupid people think he's being diverse and worldly when he is really doing it because he think's it will make his employer a few extra bucks.  You know, he's not really interested in becoming more Spaniard.  I think he'd hate the bull-fighting.

I guess I just hate the elitist way of looking down on a group of people by stereotyping then pandering.......as a means to enhance profits.  If he just said Deportes like a normal American would, I don't think ticket sales to the Mexa-Bowl would drop.  I think the Mexican people aren't stupid enough to care how he said the word...unlike many American's apparently.

It stands to reason that the league would want to expand it's brand & what better way to do that then play NFL games in Mexico, London, & other geographical spots. 

I don't want a professional football team moving outside the United States as a franchise headquarters, but playing games outside traditional comfort zones is a good idea both financially & culturally. 

I guess the idea of playing games outside traditional American cities once in awhile appeals to me because it reminds me that sometimes it's good to be a stranger in a strange land because it reminds me that just because our country is a superpower; it doesn't mean we have all the answers & are automatically superior to other nations or historical heritages. JMO. We can learn just as much from Mexico & London as they can learn from us. 

7 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

It stands to reason that the league would want to expand it's brand & what better way to do that then play NFL games in Mexico, London, & other geographical spots. 

I don't want a professional football team moving outside the United States as a franchise headquarters, but playing games outside traditional comfort zones is a good idea both financially & culturally. 

It will expand to outside the US...and you will be told you should like it. 

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

It will expand to outside the US...and you will be told you should like it. 

Ah excuse me, I do possess free will & so do you. Who says you have to subscribe completely to this philosophy? 

No agency is gonna knock on your door & whisk you away to a mysterious site if you object to an expanded NFL presence overseas or inside Mexico.

You are free to believe what you want about this move. That is entirely your right of course, but let's not project that simply because Roger Goodell wants to play a few games outside US borders that this will tarnish our great game in any way shall we. 

Do you object to this move from an exploitation standpoint? Say for instance that the league won't highlight other elements of hispanic & latino culture or that the majority of revenue spent will only serve to enhance an already wealthy NFL enterprise as opposed to say diverting some NFL funds toward helping authentic communities for real by way of a charitable contribution? That's a fair question BTW. I will concede that. 

5 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Ah excuse me, I do possess free will & so do you. Who says you have to subscribe completely to this philosophy? 

No agency is gonna knock on your door & whisk you away to a mysterious site if you object to an expanded NFL presence overseas or inside Mexico.

Never have been concerned about conspiracies...regarding anything.  Nobody will knock on my door.  They will just make it difficult for me to watch a football game without having to endure listening to stupid white American marketing-types trying to squeeze a few nickels out of their Mexican audience by trying to speak partial Spanish.

Here's what I don't like about this: somebody loses a home game. In the NFL each regular season game is so terribly, terribly important (just look at this year and how much Denver was helped by homefield advantage, and how tight that race for #1 was). I do not like taking a home game away from a team because of that. I know it's coming, but I am going to be so angry the first time the Colts lose a home game. Each game is too important to use marketing reasons as an excuse to take away a home game from a couple of teams each year.

3 hours ago, southwest1 said:

You are free to believe what you want about this move. That is entirely your right of course, but let's not project that simply because Roger Goodell wants to play a few games outside US borders that this will tarnish our great game in any way shall we. 

Do you object to this move from an exploitation standpoint? Say for instance that the league won't highlight other elements of hispanic & latino culture or that the majority of revenue spent will only serve to enhance an already wealthy NFL enterprise as opposed to say diverting some NFL funds toward helping authentic communities for real by way of a charitable contribution? That's a fair question BTW. I will concede that. 

Keep in mind, this is just market testing, if it goes well, we will likely be looking at the Mexico City Raiders, just as here in a couple years, we're going to have  a permanent London team.

On ‎2‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 7:28 PM, jvan1973 said:

Mexico city is on central time.   California is 2 hours behind.

And Europe watches the nfl in pretty big numbers already as well

I wonder if the Texas teams have a big following in Mexico.

I would guess they do.

.....Sending those Raider fans might not help US-Mexico relations.

Does anyone remember the game in Mexico City 10 years ago?

3 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

How long did NFL Europe last???

1991-2007, so 16 years. Goodell ended it not due to lack of interest, but because he believed there was a better strategy for the international market than a farm league. His strategy is apparently just to simply expand the main brand beyond US borders.

7 hours ago, SkyBane said:

1991-2007, so 16 years. Goodell ended it not due to lack of interest, but because he believed there was a better strategy for the international market than a farm league. His strategy is apparently just to simply expand the main brand beyond US borders.

I think Mexico is a better option than Europe because of the travel involved..

....I've always thought there should be major league baseball in Cuba, what about NFL football?

8 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I think Mexico is a better option than Europe because of the travel involved..

....I've always thought there should be major league baseball in Cuba, what about NFL football?

Neither was possible due to the trade embargos by the US government, only recently having been lifted by the Obama administration.

The NFL has stated they believe that since they play 1 game a week, the travel is a negligible factor and a team in London is more than viable. In fact, the NFL has told London it will have its own team within 6 years. Given the success of the acclimation program they tried with Wembly, moving to the Azteca in Mexico City is the next logical step.

On 2/6/2016 at 9:24 PM, oldunclemark said:

I wonder if the Texas teams have a big following in Mexico.

I would guess they do.

.....Sending those Raider fans might not help US-Mexico relations.

Does anyone remember the game in Mexico City 10 years ago?

The biggest teams in Mexico are the Steelers and the Cowboys.  Most were Cowboys fans and because of the nature of the rivalry some picked the Steelers in spite and it stuck.

Texans have a smaller following but it's there.

The crazy thing is that in college most follow LSU or Bama... lol so weird.