Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rams have discussed bringing Peyton Manning to L.A. in 2016

bayone

The Rams have had internal discussions about bringing Peyton Manning to Los Angeles should he want to play another season, per a league source.

Manning still is under contract to the Broncos for another year, but most around the league do not expect him to return to Denver next season, if he returns at all.

Manning still must decide whether he wants to play after this season, and the Rams still are formulating their quarterback plans. But they are monitoring the Manning situation, per a source, which is a sign that the Broncos quarterback could have options next season 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14703972/los-angeles-rams-discuss-peyton-manning-option-2016

Manning is a competitive nutjob who might not want to quit just yet. He's a massive name in terms of celebrity. The Rams are moving to Los Angeles without a quarterback but with a talented defense and a potentially dominant running game.

You add Manning to the mix and suddenly you have -- at the absolute worst case -- the biggest-name game manager in football and an improvement over Nick Foles and Case Keenum.

The Rams haven't had a quarterback under Jeff Fisher. Landing Manning wouldn't qualify as finding a franchise signal caller, but it would be an upgrade.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25471908/the-rams-reportedly-talked-about-bringing-peyton-manning-to-los-angeles

Its the perfect scenario as far as team goes. He has a strong running game...very good defense...west coast weather. I think mentally he still wants to play but physically he is questioning his body. The big issue is that he has seemed to imply in the past is that he does not want to play in the NFC. He doesn't want to have to play Eli in the playoffs potentially and be the reason he or his brother is knocked out of an opportunity to play in a SB. Not saying that he wouldn't but I know that has been reported in the past as a concern of his. Obviously if he wanted to play next year he would have VERY limited options.

2 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

I cant see him going to a mediocre team to end his career. 

If playing football brings him joy..then why not. He only gets this chance to play one time...he'll never get it back..so if he isn't ready to retire he should play. He has been on plenty of mediocre teams (and typically elevated them to playoff status) so it would be for his enjoyment..and maybe a chance to put some records a little further out of reach.

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

How is it "pulling a favre" if he decides to play next year?   He hasn't announced his retirement

If I remember correctly, it was more about playing with numerous teams beyond the point in time when he knows he should retire.  Kind of like over staying his welcome so to speak. 

8 minutes ago, Narcosys said:

If I remember correctly, it was more about playing with numerous teams beyond the point in time when he knows he should retire.  Kind of like over staying his welcome so to speak. 

Yea but Favre only played one bad season after leaving the Packers and it was his last one. He barely missed the SB the year before w the Vikings and he had a winning record with the Jets in a fluke year that saw the Dolphins win the AFC East on a tie with the Cassel-led Pats.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

Yea but Favre only played one bad season after leaving the Packers and it was his last one. He barely missed the SB the year before w the Vikings and he had a winning record with the Jets in a fluke year that saw the Dolphins win the AFC East on a tie with the Cassel-led Pats.

Hey, I'm not saying this.  I just remember hearing that's how Manning didn't want to end his career.  Travelling around to multiple teams after having wrestled with the idea of retiring and whatnot.  Just cause Favre was successful doesn't mean most thought he overstayed.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Jeff Legwold reported it about 2 hours ago on ESPN. The article is on the ESPN website.

I read it. It says he may need hip replacement surgery some day. So might I but it isn't definite. There are lots of things that may have to be worked on 20 or 30 years down the road. I don't think it is an issue that would keep him from coming back if that is what he decides to do. He has a year or maybe two to play. He has a lifetime to be retired.

I think if he wins the superbowl he is retiring for sure, if they lose it might make it harder for him, but if he does play another year i dont believe it will be with a middle of the pack team like the Rams, but you never know, i think it would be soo weird seeing him in a philly uniform. They are the most talented team with a shot at a superbowl who dont really have a QB unless bradford counts which to me he doesnt

18 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

I read it. It says he may need hip replacement surgery some day. So might I but it isn't definite. There are lots of things that may have to be worked on 20 or 30 years down the road. I don't think it is an issue that would keep him from coming back if that is what he decides to do. He has a year or maybe two to play. He has a lifetime to be retired.

Yeah he still needs it. He has a lot wrong with him physically, had trouble staying healthy this season but if he wants to play one more year I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's his decision and if he wants to play nobody should be critical of it. I would hate to see him play badly though and go out that way. He has accomplished everything you can so why come back and play for another team that isn't near as good? 2 things he did say when he left Indy is he didn't want to play in the NFC because of his brother and he didn't want to play in the AFC South because of the ties he had here with our organization. I think he would've signed with the 49ers had his brother been in the AFC and or the Titans if they weren't in the South. I was almost certain he would sign with the Titans back in 2012 but because we are in the South he didn't. The 2 teams that have been rumored to want him are the Rams and Texans and 1 is in the NFC, the other in our Division. I don't see him playing for either.

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Its the perfect scenario as far as team goes. He has a strong running game...very good defense...west coast weather. I think mentally he still wants to play but physically he is questioning his body. The big issue is that he has seemed to imply in the past is that he does not want to play in the NFC. He doesn't want to have to play Eli in the playoffs potentially and be the reason he or his brother is knocked out of an opportunity to play in a SB. Not saying that he wouldn't but I know that has been reported in the past as a concern of his. Obviously if he wanted to play next year he would have VERY limited options.

I can see this.......if he can get healthy.

I think Peyton wants another chance to run 'his' offense...

I think he can make the Rams a playoff team......they have solid defensive players..

If you are the Rams, its not difficult...you make the call.  They need to jump start the new era of the LA Rams.

Sign Peyton and every game Is old out..free agents want to sign with you

There's nothing wrong with Peyton's arm..its his legs and feet,his base..that has been the problem.

His record as a starting QB this year is 9-2..

But he has not stayed healthy the past two years. can he play 16 games?

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

They were in the playoffs with Tebow getting a win over the Steelers if my memory is correct?

Thanks.   They were 9-9...8-8 in the regular..beat Pitt on that pass from tebow to Demariyus Thomas and then ..lost to NE..

next 4 years with Peyton....

12-5, 15-4, 12-5 and now 14-4, right?

I think, if he's healthy, Peyton could lead the Rams to 10-6

1 minute ago, oldunclemark said:

Thanks.   They were 9-9...8-8 in the regular..beat Pitt on that pass from tebow to Demariyus Thomas and then ..lost to NE..

next 4 years with Peyton....

12-5, 15-4, 12-5 and now 14-4, right?

I think, if he's healthy, Peyton could lead the Rams to 10-6

I understand that but the Broncos were a pretty good team without Manning. The QB position was really the only thing holding them back. It's not like Manning needed to carry the team on his back like at Indy.

Even if I did entertain this possibility for a brief moment, I don't see Manning being on the same team with Gregg Williams as DC. You know the man who tried to snap Peyton like a tooth pick. 

Williams would need to be released 1st before 18 would even consider such an offer. I will never forgive Williams for green lighting this high/low sack simultaneously. Gregg's middle name is cheap shot in my book. 

Honestly, I think after Feb. 2nd win or lose Peyton retires from the NFL. 

6 minutes ago, southwest1 said:

Even if I did entertain this possibility for a brief moment, I don't see Manning being on the same team with Gregg Williams as DC. You know the man who tried to snap Peyton like a tooth pick. 

Williams would need to be released 1st before 18 would even consider such an offer. I will never forgive Williams for green lighting this high/low sack simultaneously. Gregg's middle name is cheap shot in my book. 

Honestly, I think after Feb. 2nd win or lose Peyton retires from the NFL. 

Isn't this the reason why he missed all of 2011?

6 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

i hear the browns have discussed bringing in manning as well

DeepfryGif-300x168_zpscc35d804.gif

While I love your biting sarcasm SDS, which is hilarious. I wouldn't wish the stigma of that lackluster franchise on any QB, let alone a future HOF field general like Manning.

Now, if you wanna send Tony Romo to Cleveland, we can talk. haha Just kidding! 

2 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

I'm sure there are several teams that have discussed bringing him in. I think the Rams are going to go all in on a rookie though. A guy who can grow with Gurley and be the face of the new franchise.

Yeah QB, I agree 100% It would be a mistake recruiting Manning for the LA Rams since he'd only be there for 1 more season anyway & like you say, this organization needs to grow with a young QB not lease a wise veteran for a year only at most. 

2 hours ago, QwizBoy said:

I'm sure there are several teams that have discussed bringing him in. I think the Rams are going to go all in on a rookie though. A guy who can grow with Gurley and be the face of the new franchise.

The point might be: They could do both.

They bring the rookie in and tell him to watch Peyton for a year or two...and become Brock Osweiler. or better

Meanwhile..they get a star face to help them make the playoffs in a crucial return to LA year

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

Because I live in SoCal, part of me would like to see this. Realistically, though, it's a terrible idea.

Rams need to make the playoffs next year...for obvious reasons..

....They have some good offensive players....

....He'd have to be healthy to attempt it..

OUM, 

You make valid points as always especially about Manning being a valuable mentor & film study wizard for a rookie QB. However, I just don't wanna see Peyton in a Rams helmet. The transition from the horse shoe to the horse head logo made perfect sense like a seamless transition, but when I think of the Rams, I think of Kurt Warner & the 'Greatest Show on Turf' not Peyton & a sheriff that stayed on the NFL range too long.

18 needs to finish strong with the broncos & call it a career. That's what I want. 

Yes, I know. SW1 doesn't speak collectively for Manning or his global fans. Touche.

1 hour ago, southwest1 said:

Yeah QB, I agree 100% It would be a mistake recruiting Manning for the LA Rams since he'd only be there for 1 more season anyway & like you say, this organization needs to grow with a young QB not lease a wise veteran for a year only at most. 

I can't really see Manning bouncing around at this point anyway. I think he retires with his last team being the Denver Broncos.