Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ryan Clady

oldunclemark

The Broncos former all-pro left tackle will be 'asked' (and that's in quotes) to take a monster pay cut so Denver can sign a lot of their own free agents.

If he does not, should the Colts take a chance on an all-NFL player who has missed 2 of the last 3 seasons? 

I believe he's 28 years old...its obviously a gamble....but you can move Anthony Constanzo to RT and we'd be solid.

If the health gamble works.

Your thoughts

Just now, grmasterb said:

Conventional wisdom is that Castonza is being paid LT money, so there's hesitation to move him to RT.

True..but Clady wont command Donald Trump-size bucks because he's been on the shelf 2 of the last 3 years.

Clady is 29 and Costanzo is 28....

...there might be a chance to get a bargain on a short term deal

2 minutes ago, Archangel said:

IMO find a center in FA move goode from RT to RG and then draft a tackle to play RT 

That's way to go...but we need to upgrade the entire line.

We've talked about that for years....and we paid for a mediocre line last year.

I think we need to stack high quality players on the O-line..

the idea that we only need one or two new starters is faulty to me

No not unless we can get him on a cheap 1 year prove it deal. And I mean cheap. Then he would play RT. But our main focus on the O-Line HAS to be getting a stud Guard and a stud Center. Give me Osemele and Wisnewski in free agency and I'm 100% fine with Reitz and Good battling it out for the starting RT spot. Its not like they're both terrible or unknowns. Reitz is a competent starter. He's not an elite RT but he's slightly above average, and Good showed flashes this season in the games he started. I think he has the potential to beat Reitz out actually. But if we bring in a beast like Osemele at guard, and a good, solid, reliable Center like Wisnewski then our offensive line is going to be very good. Potentially top 5 good, because we know what Castanzo is, and Mewhort will be even better in his 3rd year.

31 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

No not unless we can get him on a cheap 1 year prove it deal. And I mean cheap. Then he would play RT. But our main focus on the O-Line HAS to be getting a stud Guard and a stud Center. Give me Osemele and Wisnewski in free agency and I'm 100% fine with Reitz and Good battling it out for the starting RT spot. Its not like they're both terrible or unknowns. Reitz is a competent starter. He's not an elite RT but he's slightly above average, and Good showed flashes this season in the games he started. I think he has the potential to beat Reitz out actually. But if we bring in a beast like Osemele at guard, and a good, solid, reliable Center like Wisnewski then our offensive line is going to be very good. Potentially top 5 good, because we know what Castanzo is, and Mewhort will be even better in his 3rd year.

Clady is a better LT than Costanzo if he's healthy..

is there a feeling that we had a average O-line last year? That we were competent?

that we had ANY above average players?

I don't think we did

So, let's say we sign Clady.....

What happens to the line when the inevitable happens and Clady gets hurt?

I'd rather sign some quality inside guys C/G as free agents and spend a 2 on a right tackle and call it a day.

I don't want to over-think this.

Ryan Clady is really, really good when he plays.     But he doesn't play nearly enough.

No thanks.     I'll pass.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So, let's say we sign Clady.....

What happens to the line when the inevitable happens and Clady gets hurt?

I'd rather sign some quality inside guys C/G as free agents and spend a 2 on a right tackle and call it a day.

I don't want to over-think this.

Ryan Clady is really, really good when he plays.     But he doesn't play nearly enough.

No thanks.     I'll pass.

'Some guys' is what we have,,,,What happens if Clady does NOT get hurt.?

I'm juts saying..he should be available and we don't have to wait for him to develop or 'come into his own'

I think Costanzo would be an excellet RT but at LT, do we agree he's just okay?

Id rather take a chance on an all-pro than try to protect Andrew with a mid-round rookie or a guy some other team let go because they didnt think he couldn't play or wasn't worth what they were paying him

18 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

'Some guys' is what we have,,,,What happens if Clady does NOT get hurt.?

I'm juts saying..he should be available and we don't have to wait for him to develop or 'come into his own'

I think Costanzo would be an excellet RT but at LT, do we agree he's just okay?

Id rather take a chance on an all-pro than try to protect Andrew with a mid-round rookie or a guy some other team let go because they didnt think he couldn't play or wasn't worth what they were paying him

To me Clady feels like Long,  the big tackle from Michigan who played for several teams.

His body started to break down and it was hard to keep him on the field.

He may be under 30,  but for whatever reason, he's breaking down more and more.  

Could he work out for us?     Maybe.    But I'd rather not gamble on a guy whose trend-line appears to be going in the wrong direction.

Just my two cents....

The more I think about this the more I'm thinking no way. We need to avoid soft players and players made of glued together glass. Clady's the latter. He's missed 2 of the last 3 years. I want hard nosed, tough guys who'll go out and play through injuries.

15 minutes ago, Superman said:

No thank you. Unless he wants to play RT for RT money. AC is good at LT. Don't spend more money for another LT. 

We currently have a RT playing for backup money. I don't see why people would want to replace him either.

I like Clady when he played in the past. However, I think this is another Jake Long situation. A top tier LT before significant injuries that turned him into a shell of his former self. Some teams with line issues might take a chance and sign him to a somewhat generous contract if released, but I don't think it should be the Colts.

5 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

To get a better LT,.....Anthony played right tackle his first 2 years in college, its my understanding

5 hours ago, grmasterb said:

Conventional wisdom is that Castonza is being paid LT money, so there's hesitation to move him to RT.

Not only that, but he's done pretty well at LT.  He had a few bad games this past year, but he's generally been pretty solid.  Don't fix something that isn't broken

The Colts problems on the line are at the center spot and the right side of the line.  Irsay said as much when he said they need to build around Castanzo and Mewhort.  Those guys are locked in. Also, part of the reason Clady might hit the market is that he can't stay healthy.  No thanks.  The Colts also need to longer younger on the line rather than a quick fix that lasts a year or two.  I think you will see them draft a guy or two to help the line with another stop gap guy to round out the line this year.  I don't think they will sign a big name free agent for the line which I am sure will disappoint some.

14 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

That's way to go...but we need to upgrade the entire line.

We've talked about that for years....and we paid for a mediocre line last year.

I think we need to stack high quality players on the O-line..

the idea that we only need one or two new starters is faulty to me

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

We need to focus on stopping the pressure up the middle of the line is what we need. I highly doubt that if a lady is healthy again and still considered a top tier talent, the Broncos just let him walk away while still paying a chunk of his salary. They need quality olineman as well. 

I dont know know who this Osemele guy is but his name has been seen on this forum multiple times and if he is a mule at the RG spot and plays strength in a ZBS line, I want that to be our big splash signing. 

I liked what what I seen from Good, a small school standout who got tossed into the fire and performed. Did he have missteps, yes but my god, he was never expected to play this season as a back up let alone as a starter. At some point, you have to look at what's on your team and see if they are worth developing to succeed in the NFL. Saying Costanza is just average is not true. He had some injuries and that had to limit his success this year as he had shown to be an above average talent at LT. I don't understand where it's popular by some people to just decide he would be some superior beast if we just moved him over to the right side and signed player X. Costanza would start at LT at most of the teams in the league. That's good enough for me. 

STOP

STOP

STOP

QUIT signing often injured players. I don't care how good they are,  because if they only are on the field for 2 series out of the entire season, it's a waste of time, money and a roster spot. 

Which is why we shouldn't resign Allen or Bradshaw or Jones.

Maybe Clady comes back good but 2 IR seasons out of 3....screw that. PASS 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Quit signing often injured players. I don't care how good they are,  because if they only are on the field for 2 series out of the entire season, it's a waste of time, money and a roster spot. 

Which is why we shouldn't resign Allen or Bradshaw or Jones.

Maybe Clady comes back good but 2 IR seasons out of 3....screw that. PASS 

You cant predict the future.

Your draft choice may miss the season due tot injury (see the Bears)

In the NFL, you don't give up on payers in their 20s because they are injured

..with that logic, we should hesitate to resign Andrew..he was hurt all year, right?

17 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

The Broncos former all-pro left tackle will be 'asked' (and that's in quotes) to take a monster pay cut so Denver can sign a lot of their own free agents.

If he does not, should the Colts take a chance on an all-NFL player who has missed 2 of the last 3 seasons? 

I believe he's 28 years old...its obviously a gamble....but you can move Anthony Constanzo to RT and we'd be solid.

If the health gamble works.

Your thoughts

I really doubt it will happen for the two reasons others have cited. One being the fact that we already have paid AC left tackle money (if we didn't , he would no doubt leave ) the other being Clady's durability concerns.

That said , I'm thinking maybe you aren't aware of the difference between what the 2 positions pay.

Here is the breakdown according to overthgcap.com. Wow.. as I am writing it out below , I'm seeing that it's incredibly higher... just about double !!

Top 8 average salaries for RT

1) 6.7 million

2) 6.4

3) 6.2

4) 6

5) 5.3

6) 5.3

7) 5

8) 4.5

Top 8 salaries for LT

1) 13.2 million

2) 12.2

3) 11.5

4) 10.9

5) 10.5

6) 10

7) 10

8) 9.6

41 minutes ago, oldunclemark said:

You cant predict the future.

Your draft choice may miss the season due tot injury (see the Bears)

In the NFL, you don't give up on payers in their 20s because they are injured

..with that logic, we should hesitate to resign Andrew..he was hurt all year, right?

Note that I said "often injured" aka injury prone players.  Players that miss more than half the season on a repeated basis. Example. Bradshaw.....Donald Thomas, Arthur Jones, Vick Ballard, just to name a few. 

Yes draft picks and any player for that matter share the risks of not working out. But when a player has played less than 2 games in 3 seasons  (Clady, Jones, etc), it's time to walk away and not even look at them.  

Do injuries happen? Absolutely

Are some players more injury prone than others? Yes

Was Andrew Luck hurt? Yes

Is Andrew Injury Prone? Not at this time. But his was far more freak than others. How often do you tear a kidney in football?

The only position I think you can truly over look injury prone players is that of the QB position. And only if that player is a special type of QB. Example: Manning, Brady, Luck, Rodgers, Big Ben etc

Why? Because a franchise QB is much harder to replace than most of your other players. That includes OL.

Now that being said, i would, gonna contradict myself here, look at Alex Mack. Why? Because he's a stud center coming off injury and it's a position we must upgrade. AC is above average and pretty good all in all, we don't have a need for an LT and if we did, I'd rather look at Joe Thomas 

If we signed Clady and he ended up getting hurt, Grigson would be flamed into eternity. I believe he would still be tarred and feathered if we managed to get Clady at a good price and he didn't finish the season. If Clady is going to play for cheap, he will probably do it in Denver. 

It's Cherilus 2.0... I highly doubt it will happen. 

No way on Clady. Castanzo had some bad games last year, but he owned up to it and worked through it, and I think he will work hard in the off season and training camp to get back to playing at an elite level. Keep the Left side of the line intact, get a C and T that can play G in rounds two through four, and then maybe another G or T late. While this is a very good year for DL, there will also be some really good quality OL through rounds three and four. 

20 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

I don't understand why people want to move Castonzo to right tackle

He has been below average in all but his contract year. It really is that simple.
 Top 3 in sacks allowed his 1st 2 seasons with plenty of pressure.
 If you watched, he was the slowest man off the snap those years. He did fix that in year 3 but he ended up as PFF 22nd rated T in pass protection his 3rd season.

The year before his contract year, his 3rd season, he and Cherilous were PFF 3rd worst rated T tandem.
Now many take their ratings as much less than perfect, surely there was Something in the #`s.
And it was AC who had far worse numbers than Gos.
He had over 70 hurries. That is insane! Andrew couldn`t take a 5 step drop with ANY hesitation without
AC or his man making physical contact. Same for in the shotgun.
  His numbers were good his contract year because D-Coordinators were able to get huge pressure everywhere else along the line so his man mostly went straight at him and protected against Andrew escaping left, which is a well proven tendency of his.
 They unleashed on him again this season, and he often struggled. You can quote him on that.

20 hours ago, COLTS449 said:

Wizz is the model of mediocrity and FAR from a stud, a C to C+ grade, and Reitz would grade in the bottom half of Right tackles. Not that i don`t like him. ;-)