Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think the Colts win a Super Bowl in the Luck era?

Jules

I certainly hope that Luck can win it all. If all that mattered was the QB then I would almost guarantee it, but alas that isn't the case. It's just so hard to win one of those dang trophies...

Even when things are going right, just a few plays can take away the dream. I'm just happy we can stay competitive and at least have a snow balls chance...

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/30/2016 at 8:15 PM, Jules said:

This is a question that can go in many ways with many various opinions so go at it.

My feeling? I certainly hope so. He is still young and I hope this team can be built around him accordingly. I know Irsay sort of built this up too big initially with hoping we get rings over stats. The positives are that the Colts under Luck have won a few playoff games and have made a title game.

The negatives are that we seem to be moving a tad backwards with development based on the eye test and thats not just due to injuries this past year at QB. And also that Luck will soon have to be paid the big bucks.

I also was thinking about this too since many still complain how we only got one SB win in the Manning era. But, why is that such a bad thing? I would kill right now just to know if we could get ONE Super Bowl win in the current Luck era. 

Peyton Manning  given a defense that could stop the run or just hold a lead would have easily had greater success in the playoffs , A lot of squandered opportunities that IMO is the complaint , The defenses were a problem then & now stop the run & get to the QB .

The Colts have a second chance to get it right so given  ..

Protection run the ball & a top 10 defense & Andrew Luck will be in & Win 3 or 4 SB's IMO ..

Hopefully the failures of the past inspire better decisions in the front office at this point 18 should have had a Tom Brady like career & Andrew Luck in my opinion is better than both so YES Virgina there is a Santa Claus &  12 will deliver provided the Colts front office gives the coach's the weapons to win .

On Saturday, January 30, 2016 at 8:06 AM, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I certainly do....I also wonder why some of those who say "no" or have doubt seem to fail to realize that this team went 8-8 without their Franchise QB for 9 games? Most teams would have not fared that well and while I agree that improvement is needed in some key areas...this team isn't that far off. 

What a lot of kool-aid drinkers are mysteriously failing to see is that Luck regressed a lot this year , and it wasn't all the line. He had a ridiculous amount of horrenously timed turnovers and a few pick 6s. He was, in short, not good. The Colts need to not only improve the D and line, they need him to stop turning the ball over, which he has done as much as any QB in football since he came up. I would be happy with 1 SB win, because they are hard to come by. Predicting 3 or 4 , rotfl.  Only legends do that on great teams. 

1 hour ago, mahagga73 said:

What a lot of kool-aid drinkers are mysteriously failing to see is that Luck regressed a lot this year , and it wasn't all the line. He had a ridiculous amount of horrenously timed turnovers and a few pick 6s. He was, in short, not good. The Colts need to not only improve the D and line, they need him to stop turning the ball over, which he has done as much as any QB in football since he came up. I would be happy with 1 SB win, because they are hard to come by. Predicting 3 or 4 , rotfl.  Only legends do that on great teams. 

I don't like kool aide and Luck certainly did seem to regress but playing injured all season may have had a lot more to do with that then some are willing to admit? I never said that Indy would win 3 or 4 championships in the Luck era, so I am unsure why you quoted me and added that?

20 hours ago, mahagga73 said:

There is a reason this team was 6-3 without him and only 2-5 with him.  I agree clearly Luck was a major part of the problem.  

With that said its not unheard of for a franchise QB to take a step backwards, see Manning in 2001.  I have faith Luck will put last year behind him and be a very good QB in this league for a long time.

The one thing he really needs to focus on is not doing too much.  He still hasn't learned a sack or incomplete pass aren't the worst things that can happen to you on a play.  I remember Peyton saying that was the hardest lesson he had to learn and it wasn't until Dungy got here that he got it.  That's my biggest complaint about Pagano, his teams are too undisciplined and it shows up with penalties and turnovers.  If the Colts fix those two issues a lot of their problems will be solved and it starts with the guy playing QB.

What an extreme waste of talent if we don't. 

I think Luck is destined to be an all time great....but just like Peyton, Luck can't do it by himself. He shouldn't be put in a situation where he has to try to do it all himself either....like we have been doing to him the last few years. 

On 1/31/2016 at 10:10 PM, Bowlingguy300 said:

we have the same coach and GM that got him beat up more then any other QB for 3 years.  and this year from what we seen if he would have been healthy he would have been hit even more.  insanity is wanting a different outcome with the same ingredients.  with Pagano and Grigson still running things, there is not way things change. in 4 years the OL has not made progress what so ever.

That is absolutely not true.  There has absolutely been progress made on the OL.  And that's not the definition of insanity either.

On 1/30/2016 at 0:07 PM, Live and let live said:

The Colts are losing their grip on the AFC South and I would not be surprised to seem them finish third or fourth in that division this year.

The only way that happens is if the entire team is abducted by aliens.

I think the Colts are in a complete rebuild mode outside of Luck right now.

They say close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.  You're not even close enough to hear the blast from the hand grenade.

It will take them three to five years to put enough around him to win.

That's really interesting considering the Colts were 6-3 withOUT Luck this past season.

I think this question depends on the management around Luck. I think they made a horrible decision keeping Grigson after this recent injury scandal, where Luck was thrown to the wolves battling injuries all year. 

i love the kid, I think he's a very likable person off the field and on the field, and he deserves a lot better treatment than this. 

As long as Grigson remains, I don't see the Colts getting to another Super Bowl. They'll dominate the AFC South again, since it's the worst division in football but I don't see them going past that. This team has always benefited from playing in such a crappy division. I know this bothers people when I say it, but I'm sorry, it's the truth. If the Colts replaced Atlanta or Tampa in the NFC South, they would be an 8-8 team at best. 

Letting Bruce Arians go is going to be a decision Irsay regrets forever. 

Way too many factors to predict if Luck wins a SB or 2. For one, I think most people underestimate what it really takes to win it all. Is Luck capable of being a SB winning QB? Yes, I believe he is. He needs a better team around him to do it. Look at both teams in the SB this year. Both have great defenses with multiple playmakers in the front 7 and atleast one in the secondary. We need more balance.

Balance is key daniel san....sorry couldnt help it.

Right now, the Colts' chances are above average, but not much. And that's only because of Luck. But to win a Superbowl you need a defense like Denver, Carolina or New England (when fully healthy), and an offensive line that can protect the QB. The Colts are just average in both departments. A lot is going to have to go right.

Just now, masterlock said:

Right now, the Colts' chances are above average, but not much. And that's only because of Luck. But to win a Superbowl you need a defense like Denver, Carolina or New England (when fully healthy), and an offensive line that can protect the QB. The Colts are just average in both departments. A lot is going to have to go right.

I don't think the Colts are average in either department. I believe that dreaming that Luck can carry a poor team deep into the playoffs or Super Bowl is a dream indeed. We can't even be sure that he will be the same player when he returns. He has spent four years taking one of the hardest beatings in NFL history. It caught up with him this year. He found out that he was mortal and he was in danger. Other QBs have caved in from that knowledge. I doubt that Luck will do that but he could definitely be affected by all of this.

Yes we will !!!  I say we win at least 2 !!  So many people forget how good Luck was his 1st 3 years, and only look at this season and say Luck sucks, but yet Luck took us to the AFCCG last year.  Luck will be healthy to start next season and will be ready to prove to everyone how good he is !!!

21 minutes ago, JlynRN said:

Yes we will !!!  I say we win at least 2 !!  So many people forget how good Luck was his 1st 3 years, and only look at this season and say Luck sucks, but yet Luck took us to the AFCCG last year.  Luck will be healthy to start next season and will be ready to prove to everyone how good he is !!!

What was the result of the AFCCG? The Colts got there by beating a wild card team and catching Denver with an injured Peyton Manning. If the Colts didn't play in the AFC South, they wouldn't sniff the playoffs in most other divisions.

6 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

What was the result of the AFCCG? The Colts got there by beating a wild card team and catching Denver with an injured Peyton Manning. If the Colts didn't play in the AFC South, they wouldn't sniff the playoffs in most other divisions.

you just dont' get it do you??  We made the AFCCG !!!  That's more than 28 other teams did !!!  You act like we didn't win those 2 games to get us there, but only made it because the other teams sucked.  :::smh:::  It's gonna be a LOOOOOOONG off season.

Just now, JlynRN said:

you just dont' get it do you??  We made the AFCCG !!!  That's more than 28 other teams did !!!  You act like we didn't win those 2 games to get us there, but only made it because the other teams sucked.  :::smh:::  It's gonna be a LOOOOOOONG off season.

Yeah, I get it. Win a lousy division, beat a wild card team and catch the next team with injuries and it means you are great. Getting beat 45-10 in that game is meaningless. What it means is the Colts didn't belong in that game.

2 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

Yeah, I get it. Win a lousy division, beat a wild card team and catch the next team with injuries and it means you are great. Getting beat 45-10 in that game is meaningless. What it means is the Colts didn't belong in that game.

I'm sorry but the Colts DID belong in that game, no matter what you may think.  We won the 2 previous games to get there. The Colts had injuries last season too, as did the other teams. We obviously will never see eye to eye on this.  Luck will be back healthy and will be ready to prove to everyone how good he really is !!!  

13 minutes ago, JlynRN said:

I'm sorry but the Colts DID belong in that game, no matter what you may think.  We won the 2 previous games to get there. The Colts had injuries last season too, as did the other teams. We obviously will never see eye to eye on this.  Luck will be back healthy and will be ready to prove to everyone how good he really is !!!  

Everyone?

1 hour ago, JlynRN said:

He has already proved how good he is. It takes a lot more than that to win a Super Bowl. He needs a team around him. Just ask Peyton Manning.

On 1/30/2016 at 8:15 PM, Jules said:

This is a question that can go in many ways with many various opinions so go at it.

My feeling? I certainly hope so. He is still young and I hope this team can be built around him accordingly. I know Irsay sort of built this up too big initially with hoping we get rings over stats. The positives are that the Colts under Luck have won a few playoff games and have made a title game.

The negatives are that we seem to be moving a tad backwards with development based on the eye test and thats not just due to injuries this past year at QB. And also that Luck will soon have to be paid the big bucks.

I also was thinking about this too since many still complain how we only got one SB win in the Manning era. But, why is that such a bad thing? I would kill right now just to know if we could get ONE Super Bowl win in the current Luck era. 

I remember when you were part of a group running manning out of town talking about all the rings Luck was going to have.

Must stink to have to want to kill to get one super bowl. Manning led another team to 2 in the 4 years since he was cut. The irony is that Luck averages 2 interceptions per playoff appearance...ouch!  Wasn't that your beef with Manning?

You have another injured star QB with no o'line 4 years later.

So the answer is no.

enjoy.

1 hour ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

He has already proved how good he is. It takes a lot more than that to win a Super Bowl. He needs a team around him. Just ask Peyton Manning.

If you just base Luck's career vs Peyton's career over the their first 4 years, Luck has been the better QB, especially in the Playoffs. I am not going to get on Luck much unless he hasn't won a SB by season 9. That is how long it took Peyton to win 1. Lets see how the next 4 or 5 seasons go. He is still real young.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If you just base Luck's career vs Peyton's career over the their first 4 years, Luck has been the better QB, especially in the Playoffs. I am not going to get on Luck much unless he hasn't won a SB by season 9. That is how long it took Peyton to win 1. Lets see how the next 4 or 5 seasons go. He is still real young.

He is really good. He's not the problem. Put a defense out there. Put an offensive line out there that can protect him. Then we might win something. That's pretty much what tom Brady had when he won his first 3 rings. It's not a mystery. We just need a GM that can build that kind of team for us.

35 minutes ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

He is really good. He's not the problem. Put a defense out there. Put an offensive line out there that can protect him. Then we might win something. That's pretty much what tom Brady had when he won his first 3 rings. It's not a mystery. We just need a GM that can build that kind of team for us.

Hopefully within the next 2 or 3 years we load up on Defense so I can add a 4th banner to my DeflateGate Finalist banner!

1 hour ago, No 1 Manning Fan said:

Sounds great #1 MF except that Ryan Grigson just got a contract extension. Yes, I know I'm not the President of our GM's fan club. 

I don't hate the guy personally. I just get absolutely nothing out of his press conferences because of his double speak tendencies & I haven't really been that impressed with his load up on WRs approach in the past & let Luck run for his life behind a line that isn't exactly iron clad. That's the nicest way I can phrase it. 

On February 3, 2016 at 9:21 AM, Bogie said:

I think this question depends on the management around Luck. I think they made a horrible decision keeping Grigson after this recent injury scandal, where Luck was thrown to the wolves battling injuries all year. 

i love the kid, I think he's a very likable person off the field and on the field, and he deserves a lot better treatment than this. 

As long as Grigson remains, I don't see the Colts getting to another Super Bowl. They'll dominate the AFC South again, since it's the worst division in football but I don't see them going past that. This team has always benefited from playing in such a crappy division. I know this bothers people when I say it, but I'm sorry, it's the truth. If the Colts replaced Atlanta or Tampa in the NFC South, they would be an 8-8 team at best. 

Letting Bruce Arians go is going to be a decision Irsay regrets forever. 

Sorry Bogie, I missed this reply in this thread the 1st time. You said it better than I did. I don't know about the Bruce Arians last line, but I pretty much agree with the rest of your post. You're not wrong. This is why I didn't care about division wins as much & was more concerned about INDY's inability to beat the Patriots & Steelers because both rivals need to be overcome on route to a SB in the Luck era. 

I disagreed with your Bruce Arians line because Pagano was getting life saving cancer treatments. What was Jim supposed to do, let BA step in, Chuck gets better, & then give him his pink slip in the middle of the chuck strong get well campaign? A public relations nightmare. I get what you meant. Bruce is a bolder coach & risk taker but it's not like Jimmy can release Pags after beating cancer though. 

The hardest thing in winning a SB is truly convincing everyone on the team that winning the SB is the only acceptable objective AND they have been given the tools to reasonably achieve it - not just winning the division or a game or two in the playoffs. I'm not convinced this will ever happen with either Grigson or Pagano. I don't believe they have the "chops" to do it. The obvious weakness is in the way the strategies (muddled as they are) don't align with the personnel.

2 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

The hardest thing in winning a SB is truly convincing everyone on the team that winning the SB is the only acceptable objective AND they have been given the tools to reasonably achieve it - not just winning the division or a game or two in the playoffs. I'm not convinced this will ever happen with either Grigson or Pagano. I don't believe they have the "chops" to do it. The obvious weakness is in the way the strategies (muddled as they are) don't align with the personnel.

how so?

1 hour ago, Live and let live said:

You have to get to one before you can win three and his play doesn't show that he can come lose to that.

Andrew's play doesn't come close?  

Give Andrew a defense and he will show and prove.  I'm not even talking Seattle/Carolina good, just competent.

3 hours ago, Clem-Dog said:

Andrew's play doesn't come close?  

Give Andrew a defense and he will show and prove.  I'm not even talking Seattle/Carolina good, just competent.

A good defense doesn't fis Luck's shortcomings. He has an accuracy problem. He has a problem checking and hitting secondary receivers. He holds the ball too long and he takes lots of sacks and hard hits because of it. If he doesn't fix that problem, I don't believe he will survive to play out his next contract. He also does not analyze defenses quickly or well to get into a better play than was called but the bench. He has hard work to do. I don't know how much of this can be repaired after four years but I hope for great improvement in those areas.

On January 30, 2016 at 2:13 PM, Live and let live said:

I do not think Luck is closing in on the current top 5 QB. I don't think he is closing in on the top 10 QBs. I think that is Colt fan talking. It is OK but if you start to believe all of that, you will be seriously disappointed. Top ten in my mind are: Brady, Rogers, Big Ben, both Mannings (still), Rivers, Newton, Wilson, Palmer and Flacco. A couple of years ago, I read a thread where a man said if all of the players in the NFL were exposed to a draft, Luck would be the number one pick. I wasn't sure if that was the case then, I am sure it is not the case now. Certainly Newton and Wilson would be picked ahead of him. Perhaps even Winston and Mariotta based on their youth and upside. I am not putting Luck down, I think he has serious deficiencies and he isn't getting better that I can see. I think he is exactly the same QB now as he was the first game of his first year. Perhaps that is coaching but I doubt it.

I think the level of QBs talent in the NFL is closer than you think. I agree that these other QBs are of good talent, but luck is top ten when comparing the last 4 years of play. 

Although coaching may not be holding him back, in a sense, it can most definitely make him better.