Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think the Colts win a Super Bowl in the Luck era?

Jules

This is a question that can go in many ways with many various opinions so go at it.

My feeling? I certainly hope so. He is still young and I hope this team can be built around him accordingly. I know Irsay sort of built this up too big initially with hoping we get rings over stats. The positives are that the Colts under Luck have won a few playoff games and have made a title game.

The negatives are that we seem to be moving a tad backwards with development based on the eye test and thats not just due to injuries this past year at QB. And also that Luck will soon have to be paid the big bucks.

I also was thinking about this too since many still complain how we only got one SB win in the Manning era. But, why is that such a bad thing? I would kill right now just to know if we could get ONE Super Bowl win in the current Luck era. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's a bad thing in the right that Manning is one of the best to ever play the game, plus we had multiple opportunities to get in; many of those times being gut wrenching games or one and dones. Not only that, but Colts fans (like me) look at the Patriots and see all their SB wins and get envious. It's frustrating to have gone through 14 great years and only get one that whole time. You also have to add to the fact the the Colts have been in Indy for 30+ years now, with only 1 ring. Fans just grow impatient and I find myself included. Also to add to this, we had 14 years of peyton-2 superbowls (went to). Broncos have had 4 years-2 superbowls (went to). I want Luck to win multiple superbowls but I just find it hard he will, considering who we have running the team. I hope Luck and this team can learn from this year and finally get over the hump.

7 minutes ago, NBColtsFanatic said:

I think it's a bad thing in the right that Manning is one of the best to ever play the game, plus we had multiple opportunities to get in; many of those times being gut wrenching games or one and dones. Not only that, but Colts fans (like me) look at the Patriots and see all their SB wins and get envious. It's frustrating to have gone through 14 great years and only get one that whole time. You also have to add to the fact the the Colts have been in Indy for 30+ years now, with only 1 ring. Fans just grow impatient and I find myself included. Also to add to this, we had 14 years of peyton-2 superbowls (went to). Broncos have had 4 years-2 superbowls (went to). I want Luck to win multiple superbowls but I just find it hard he will, considering who we have running the team. I hope Luck and this team can learn from this year and finally get over the hump.

I think we hit a rough patch in the AFC years with Peyton as well. We played some Patriots and Steelers teams and Chargers teams for that matter who were literally in their PEAK years.

You can't be envious of NE either. If you do that then you will never be happy since even if Peyton won it all this year he still has half of Brady's rings in the count total. 

I would kill for just ONE Super Bowl title with Luck alone.........and I think he is talented enough to get a handful of rings but it's just so darn hard to win it all.

I think we will if we have continuity which it looks like we will in coaching and gm (whether we like them or not).  Now we have to build the team on OL and DL to help our very talented QB and all those weapons he has.  We are not that far away contrary to what this year looked like.  I am as impatient as everyone else and I want to win every year but when you look at that league you get a sense of how difficult it is to win a superbowl, I would bet we win one in the next 4 years and I think starting with next season we will be right there knocking on the door again.

Yes.

Manning is about to retire.   

Brady is about to retire.     Odds are when he does,  Belicheck will likely retire.

That may help even the playing field a bit.       The rest of the real talent lies in the NFC.  

Winning a SB I think will depend more on who coaches and who the GM is rather than will Luck be good enough to win a SB.      The coach and the GM will bring in the right players and coordinators and assistants.

Or not.

And that's how we will win.

We won our SB with Peyton not just because of Peyton,  but because we had Dungy and great assistants and Polian.       We had advantages over other teams we played.

That's how we'll have to do it again.

19 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes.

Manning is about to retire.   

Brady is about to retire.     Odds are when he does,  Belicheck will likely retire.

That may help even the playing field a bit.       The rest of the real talent lies in the NFC.  

Winning a SB I think will depend more on who coaches and who the GM is rather than will Luck be good enough to win a SB.      The coach and the GM will bring in the right players and coordinators and assistants.

Or not.

And that's how we will win.

We won our SB with Peyton not just because of Peyton,  but because we had Dungy and great assistants and Polian.       We had advantages over other teams we played.

That's how we'll have to do it again.

Brady never said he was retiring any time soon. In fact I believe he actually said he wants to play well into his 40's. 

3 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Brady never said he was retiring any time soon. In fact I believe he actually said he wants to play well into his 40's. 

We'll see how well that goes for him. As much as he seems to struggle to believe it at times, he does age, and his production will fall off. It's not a matter of 'if' but 'when', and if you look closely you can start to see the cracks forming.

yes I do.  As several have mentioned the current guard of AFC elite QBs Manning, Brady, Big Ben, and Rivers are getting close to retirement.  With that said I do think it's very possible in the next handful of years that majority of the elite QBs in the AFC are going to be in the AFC South as I think the Jags, Titans, and Colts all have really good young QBs. 

As long as he resigns with the Colts, I certainly think so.  Remember at this point in Peyton's career, he hadn't even won a playoff game.  The Colts have already been to the AFC Championship game, and besides this season were getting further in the playoffs every year. 

4 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

yes I do.  As several have mentioned the current guard of AFC elite QBs Manning, Brady, Big Ben, and Rivers are getting close to retirement.  With that said I do think it's very possible in the next handful of years that majority of the elite QBs in the AFC are going to be in the AFC South as I think the Jags, Titans, and Colts all have really good young QBs. 

This assumes Marriotta develops in that crap shoot that is Tennessee. Their upper management is such a mess, it's hard to say if he will or not. I suppose with the ownership possibly being forced to sell, it could improve, but that's looking forward quite a ways, and Marriotta could already be shipped out by then.

5 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

This assumes Marriotta develops in that crap shoot that is Tennessee. Their upper management is such a mess, it's hard to say if he will or not. I suppose with the ownership possibly being forced to sell, it could improve, but that's looking forward quite a ways, and Marriotta could already be shipped out by then.

and I think he will.  Yes the Titans are bad right now but he's also only going into year two of his career.  I think Marriotta is the real deal at QB. 

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

and I think he will.  Yes the Titans are bad right now but he's also only going into year two of his career.  I think Marriotta is the real deal at QB. 

Assuming Mariotta develops in that headless organization is a tall order. I honestly don't know if I would make that bet. I'd bet more on regression than anything given how they've handled their coaching staff.

1 hour ago, Jules said:

I think we hit a rough patch in the AFC years with Peyton as well. We played some Patriots and Steelers teams and Chargers teams for that matter who were literally in their PEAK years.

You can't be envious of NE either. If you do that then you will never be happy since even if Peyton won it all this year he still has half of Brady's rings in the count total. 

I would kill for just ONE Super Bowl title with Luck alone.........and I think he is talented enough to get a handful of rings but it's just so darn hard to win it all.

If Peyton wins it this year I'd consider him a better QB all time over Brady. Yes Brady would have 4 rings to Manning's 2, but championships are sometimes overrated in ranking a QB. Dan Marino is a top 5 QB all time, and he has no championships. And I'd take John Elway over Joe Montana if I were starting a franchise.

The thing that also overrates Brady a little in my opinion is the coaching staff and system he played in. He had the advantage for his entire career to play under 1 HC, and probably the best HC of all time in Bellichick. Brady for the most part has always had a good defense and OL, while Manning has not. Don't get me wrong, Brady is still a top 5 QB of all time, but this would be how I would rank it IF Manning were to win his 2nd ring...

1. John Elway

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Tom Brady

5. Dan Marino

As for Andrew Luck, Irsay and Co. better get him the supporting cast to be a Superbowl contender for many years, or else this could be one of the biggest disasters in franchise history. Having a QB as highly touted as Andrew Luck is, and not winning at least 1 championship, would be a crime.

I think we win a Superbowl with Luck at the helm.  He is an elite QB. The only thing that concerns me about him is his inability to get the ball off quickly and avoid getting hit so much.  I know a great deal of that comes from the offensive line,  but Luck has his own culpability in the matter.  His skillset, football IQ, arm, legs all checkout.  He's the complete package at NFL QB.

I think we are two years away from winning the Superbowl if Colt's brass make shrewd personnel decisions.  We're set at the skilled positions for the most part,  just need the big uglies now

Excellent topic Jules! I think my crystal ball says yes Andrew will win 1, maybe 2 but I wont stretch it. I do say at least 1. He potentially could go down as a Top 10 QB of all-time as well. He was just injured this last season and we had 1 off season. We have plenty of time to build a great team around him as he is only 25. I also agree, while only winning 1 SB, I will still take it considering we as fans know what the feeling is like winning the big one! Bills, Vikings, Eagles, and Chargers fans would love to have just 1. So would Dan Marino and Barry Sanders. Imagine how those fan bases and players feel?

1 hour ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Yes, I know.

But what he says and what he does are not necessarily the same thing.

He could get hurt, the way Peyton has.     There's just no way of knowing what happens once you get into your upper-30's....     stuff happens...

58 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Assuming Mariotta develops in that headless organization is a tall order. I honestly don't know if I would make that bet. I'd bet more on regression than anything given how they've handled their coaching staff.

Mariotta would be far from the first franchise QB to go to a team that was a trainwreck and turn them around if he does.  Does that mean I think it will happen next year?  No.  However, I think he will be a pain in Colts fans backsides for a long time.

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

Mariotta would be far from the first franchise QB to go to a team that was a trainwreck and turn them around if he does.

Those teams actually had competent management with a vested interest in getting better though. The Titans don't.

41 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Those teams actually had competent management with a vested interest in getting better though. The Titans don't.

I disagree with you on the idea that the Titans aren't going to try to get better.  You could have said the very samething about the Panthers when they drafted the Cam Newton.  Fast forward a few years and they are back-to-back division champs and in the Super Bowl.  Are the TItans going to turn things around that fast?  Probably not but again Mariotta is hardly the first QB to go to a trainwreck of a team.  Honestly trainwrecks of teams that get it turned around normally starts by getting the franchise QB. 

Just now, GoColts8818 said:

I disagree with you on the idea that the Titans aren't going to try to get better.  You could have said the very samething about the Panthers when they drafted the Cam Newton.  Fast forward a few years and they are back-to-back division champs and in the Super Bowl.  Are the TItans going to turn things around that fast?  Probably not but again Mariotta is hardly the first QB to go to a trainwreck of a team.  Honestly trainwrecks of teams that get it turned around normally starts by getting the franchise QB. 

They just hired a coach with a .316 winning percentage at 2 different locations, after only interviewing 3 other candidates because the owner "felt comfortable and knew him". The Titans are not trying to get better, they are trying to tread water, and the NFL is threatening to take the franchise away from ownership because of it.

Mariotta may be one of the most talented QB's in recent draft history. His talent is going to be largely wasted on a franchise with no leadership.

I got my eye on the Jaguars at times. Something tells me if they get their heads on straight they could go on a small run. But, easier said then done since it's the Jaguars but they have potential at times and they did beat the snot out of this year.

2 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

They just hired a coach with a .316 winning percentage at 2 different locations, after only interviewing 3 other candidates because the owner "felt comfortable and knew him". The Titans are not trying to get better, they are trying to tread water, and the NFL is threatening to take the franchise away from ownership because of it.

Mariotta may be one of the most talented QB's in recent draft history. His talent is going to be largely wasted on a franchise with no leadership.

Coaches who fail with one team getting another shot isn't new in the NFL.  There is also the chance that he won't be the one to take the Titans to the promise land.  It took the Colts two coaches until they got there with Peyton. 

Yes the Titans are a team in transition right now in terms of ownership.  It's what would could have happened here had Bob Irsays widow elected to fight Jim Irsay for ownership when Bob passed away.  I agree the Titans are a trainwreck right now.  With that said, I doubt they will be for Mariotta's whole career.  Mariotta has a lot of talent and I think sooner or later he will have the Titans being a pain in the Colts backside.  You could argue other than Carr in Oakland the AFC best young QBs are all in the AFC South.  

Personally, i don't think so.  Especially now with the GM getting an extension.  He'll still have that control disorder in placed, not wanting to be flexible in so many ways as far as drafting talent for the team.....I don't know how much of an impact the changes are going to take in time time.  They still need to mesh together and that people will take some time.....

Grigson can take lessons from John Elway.  Elway is already on his 2nd Super Bowl in 5 years....He's defense is rank #1 in just after a year, after firing their HC.  The bottom line is Elway has a vision of the future, recognizes talents and the immediate need of the team....Are you listening Grigson?